Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,926 members, 7,952,728 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 10:27 PM

The Fraud Called Education: Why Are Africans So Dumb? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Fraud Called Education: Why Are Africans So Dumb? (5535 Views)

U.S Political Analysist: Are Africans Too Dumb To Develope? / PHOTOS! Meet The World Hottest And Sexiest Twins & They Are Africans / Why Are Africans Lazy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Fraud Called Education: Why Are Africans So Dumb? by thoth: 12:17am On Aug 21, 2013
baby-boy:

Look Civilisation started in Egypt, (Acts 7:22 And Moses was learned in all the wisdom of the Egyptians) but am sorry Civilisation was taken towards the east into old Europe.

Tell me how can a white man give an African King a mirror in exchange for diamonds?
Now that is a pure lie, nobody gave anybody mirror in exchange for diamonds and i you just keep coming up with these crazy statements i think you are seriously brainwashed.
Africans traded Gold as far as Saudi Arabia and Persia, they know the value of those things and This shows that your are a perfect evidence of what the OP stated, an education that degrades and disables anyone that accepts it.
Re: The Fraud Called Education: Why Are Africans So Dumb? by arm4u: 8:38am On Aug 21, 2013
prof.femi:
@OP, you sound like someone who has a lot of passion, but I think your energies are being wasted on what appears to be some quixotic sentiments. You said: "Africa must stop food importation!"

Can I ask you this: HOW? Specifically how?

Thank you.

We should grow our food.
We can produce our rice, our fish, our goat, our milk, our fruit juice, our wine, our etc,

The more we import, we poorer we become. The buy will always have less while the seller will always have poor.
Poverty in Africa is fueled by the massive importations!
If we must must cars and electronics, why must we import rice?
Re: The Fraud Called Education: Why Are Africans So Dumb? by arm4u: 9:11am On Aug 21, 2013
Eazee-e:
D writter of dis article is not in anyway saying Boko is Haram but simply saying d bitter truth about d educational system in d con3 which has no single relationship with productivity & d reality of d african setting. Imagine d over N87 billion demanded by ASUU in d name of salaries n allowances instead of compelling d govt 2 make education more practical n in line with our peculiar society. Y is everybody so much concern about d foreign religions n not d reality on ground? Y are we deceiving ourselves with a system that is not working?

hahahahaha.
Thanks for your insight!

The ASUU strike is for nothing else other than "handouts" from the government.
Do you know what? Without the salaries, most of the lecturers cannot survive.
Now, these lecturers end up reproducing their type! Like begets like! Ninety something percent of our graduates are looking for "handouts"! We are not trained to be "problem solvers", rather we are trained to be "salary earners". Unfortunately, the only viable "industry" we have in Africa is politics! This is why the Nigerian National Assembly is "Multi Billion Industry"! This was why OBJ wanted to create "3rd term", this why African Presidents wants to rule forever!

Our Engineers, Lawyers, Doctors, Lecturers and all other professionals are all fighting over "juicy" appoints!
It is terrible!
Re: The Fraud Called Education: Why Are Africans So Dumb? by arm4u: 9:36am On Aug 21, 2013
tpia@:
@ thread title:

you need education to build this:

And what exactly do you mean?
How many of these have you seen in Africa, and if you see any thing that looks like a serious Engineering structure, it must have a some touch of the "Whiteman" in one way or the other.

The good roads in Nigeria are done by foreign companies.
Roads done by our Engineers do not last,
Our two and three storey buildings collapse and you are talking about skyscrapers?

Yet, let me make it abundantly clear, that we are not opposing education, rather we saying that

the purpose of education should be to enhance our capacity in creativity, productivity and problem solving and not just to read and write while flaunting papers called certificates!
Re: The Fraud Called Education: Why Are Africans So Dumb? by arm4u: 9:43am On Aug 21, 2013
redsun:

Farming has gone scientific and science is education.The kind of education africans have took away their common sense and gave them the ability to read and write in foreign languages.It failed to teach them the basics of how to fend for themselves by being intuitive,instinctive,rational,mathematical and creative.

This is exactly the point!
I am only commenting for the sake of emphasis.

You summarised the the first post!
We were producing food before education came, we should have used education to enhance our food production.
But what did we do? We stopped food production because we are educated!

It is very hilarious!
Re: The Fraud Called Education: Why Are Africans So Dumb? by arm4u: 10:04am On Aug 21, 2013
stillwater: I think a better approach and solution would be to introduce more practicals and research in our educational curriculum. cool
It is in Nigeria I heard a student of computer science has never used a computer before, that's our problem. We need instrumentation in our labs and they should be readily available to students. Enough of theory.
Till date I never understood electrolysis, anode, cathode crap and most of my physics class because I needed to see it to understand it.

It is not just practicals, but practicals that relate to our peculiarity here in Africa.
Our challenges are not the same with America and Europe.
We should ask questions of what our challenges are and then fine ways to solve those problems. That is what education should be.

Education should enhance food production,
education should motivate us to produce cars, etc
education should should improve our socio-economic values.

We had carpenters before education came, why didn't education help our carpentry endeavors?
today, the "best" furnitures are imported!

What is wrong with Africans? We need to change our mentality and this is the time.

Join us in this campaign.

www.facebook.com/arm4good
info2.arm@gmail.com
Re: The Fraud Called Education: Why Are Africans So Dumb? by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:46am On Aug 21, 2013
tpia@:
@ thread title:

you need education to build this:

"THIS" cannot feed THIS :

[img]http://www1.american.edu/ted/ice/images4/cklocust_children.png[/img]
Re: The Fraud Called Education: Why Are Africans So Dumb? by AjanleKoko: 12:29pm On Aug 21, 2013
stillwater: I think a better approach and solution would be to introduce more practicals and research in our educational curriculum. cool
It is in Nigeria I heard a student of computer science has never used a computer before, that's our problem. We need instrumentation in our labs and they should be readily available to students. Enough of theory.
Till date I never understood electrolysis, anode, cathode crap and most of my physics class because I needed to see it to understand it.

You could have gone ahead to set up an electrolysis experiment yourself, if you had bothered.
salt, water, empty plastic container, stripped leads from old batteries, and the regular NEPA power source. That's all you need to demonstrate electrolysis.

I would rather say you (and most other youths studying science in Nigeria) have suffered through incompetent teachers that don't also understand science themselves. So, what you should have done (although I will not judge you for that, but charge you going forward) is to find the motivation yourself. The world's greatest scientists in history also did not have the luxury of 24 hours electricity, or government-equipped state of the art labs, or even money for their research. They had to find the motivation themselves.

But we need education. We don't even have enough of it, in the right quality. That's why we are suffering.
Re: The Fraud Called Education: Why Are Africans So Dumb? by arm4u: 1:22pm On Aug 21, 2013
AjanleKoko:

You could have gone ahead to set up an electrolysis experiment yourself, if you had bothered.
salt, water, empty plastic container, stripped leads from old batteries, and the regular NEPA power source. That's all you need to demonstrate electrolysis.

I would rather say you (and most other youths studying science in Nigeria) have suffered through incompetent teachers that don't also understand science themselves. So, what you should have done (although I will not judge you for that, but charge you going forward) is to find the motivation yourself. The world's greatest scientists in history also did not have the luxury of 24 hours electricity, or government-equipped state of the art labs, or even money for their research. They had to find the motivation themselves.

But we need education. We don't even have enough of it, in the right quality. That's why we are suffering.

When someone posts in this thread and say, "we need education", if feel so scandalised.
We are not saying that we don't need education, we are simply saying that something is wrong with the type of education we have here.

You are right about our teachers! Our teachers are reading out what they saw in books and ask us to copy.
Then they ask us questions based on what we read (and crammed), then they say "congratulations", but there is no correlation between what we read and the challenges we have in our societies.

We are blaming government for power supply, right?
Well, normally, the problem of power supply would be have been the challenge to our Electrical Engineers!
but we don't have any ingenuity. We are importing everything we need to generate power. The smallest generator is imported. We are selling our power plants to foreign companies because we don't have the capacity to handle them.

We are so serious about churning out "graduates", but what did we prepare theses graduates to do?
If there is any value our graduates have, it is the value of reading and writing English!
Even now, that value is going down! some cant even read and write.
We must take a critical look at our type of education.
Re: The Fraud Called Education: Why Are Africans So Dumb? by tpia5: 2:00pm On Aug 21, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

it very much can, by providing employment.
Re: The Fraud Called Education: Why Are Africans So Dumb? by Judas2013: 2:08pm On Aug 21, 2013
arm4u: What is Education?
Why do we go to school?
What do we achieve as educated people?

This is the story of Africa!

The colonialists came, they met us farming.
They asked us to drop our farming implements.
They promised us education!

We dropped our cutlasses and our hoes.
We followed them to school.
They thought us their languages.

Then they asked us to bring our books and pens!
They they asked us:

1. What is Agriculture? (As if we did not know)
2. What is farming? (That was what were doing before they came)
3. Mention 2 farming implements (As if we never knew: The difference was the names we called them)
4. Draw hoe (But our fathers gave us hoes and showed us how to use it)
5. Name 5 cash crops (but our fathers gave us those crops to go and sell and bring back cash)
6. What soil is good for farming? (As if we were farming on gravels before they came)
7. on and on and on, it went.

They asked us things we already knew before they came, the only difference was the language!

Then we answered there questions "correctly"!
They clapped for us and gave us papers called "Certificates".

Then we came home with our papers but the damage has been done!

We have lost interest in farming! We have stopped growing our food.
We are "educated" and not "illiterates": so we can't do "dirty" jobs like farming.

We are wearing suits and ties, speaking English but we can't produce food anymore.
Today Africa is suffering. We are hungry!
The little food we have are produced by the "old dirty illiterates".
The rest of the food we must import from the 1st world countries.
T
Why are Africans so dumb?
It is time to wise up and rise up.

Africa must stop food importation!

Join us in ARM!
The African Revolutionary Movement
Our campaign is that of a mental revolution!.

info2.arm@gmail.com

This is some deep thoughts. They gave us he bible and took our knowledge. I probably will not join your movement but i like to applaud you for bringing this up.
Re: The Fraud Called Education: Why Are Africans So Dumb? by AjanleKoko: 2:24pm On Aug 21, 2013
arm4u:

When someone posts in this thread and say, "we need education", if feel so scandalised.
We are not saying that we don't need education, we are simply saying that something is wrong with the type of education we have here.

What about those Nigerians/Africans, many of whom are on NL, who have studied abroad, and even lived there, but are still unable to innovate or even relate their learning to anything useful or productive? Just like the fortunate Nigerians back home, they are also working 9-5 jobs. Some others, like many home-based Nigerians, are not so fortunate and have have had to resort to other means to survive.

Education isn't significantly different anywhere else. We definitely have inferior quality of education in Nigeria on all levels, yes. But the quality is really in terms of learning environment, teaching staff, academic content, and maybe competition. Not that there is any radical difference in the purpose of education, or course methodology. They don't implant theories in people's heads in other climes, something drives them to innovate over there. What is that 'something', and why don't we have it here in Nigeria?

I mean, Larry Page and Sergey Brin went to Stanford. Some Nigerians also went to Stanford, why did they not also start companies like Google?

Or if we go back to the OP's premise. Yes, we discarded our traditional beliefs for Oyinbo customs and education. But Oyinbos actually came to Africa and showed us things we had never seen before. If we were so smart before they came, how come we couldn't save ourselves from them?

More than 400 years ago, Newton sat under a tree, an apple fell, and somehow the ma = mg connection was made. Apples, oranges, guavas, etc., have been falling in Africa, and still continue to fall. Yet nobody takes any special notice. undecided

Whatever it is that ails us, de-emphasizing education is not the cure.

1 Like

Re: The Fraud Called Education: Why Are Africans So Dumb? by Nobody: 2:51pm On Aug 21, 2013
AjanleKoko:

You are correct. I will honestly say I'm a lazy thinker. grin But I'm gradually coming into my own now. And the fact that Nigeria made it look as if you had to become a doctor, pharmacist or engineer if you studied sciences did not help matters. I didn't want to do those so I felt restricted. When I establish myself in whatever field I decide to go to especially in research and development, I would definitely sponsor brilliant secondary school kids from Nigeria to abroad so they won't fall into the category of cram and pass your exams to become a doctor or engineer. God willing!!!
Re: The Fraud Called Education: Why Are Africans So Dumb? by juman(m): 4:06pm On Aug 21, 2013
The thread is funny. Education is not a fraud.

The problem is nigeria fail as a nation because the country fail to make use of education to improve and progress our standard of living.

Bad governance from bad leaders fail us.
Re: The Fraud Called Education: Why Are Africans So Dumb? by arm4u: 6:56pm On Aug 21, 2013
Judas2013:

This is some deep thoughts. They gave us he bible and took our knowledge. I probably will not join your movement but i like to applaud you for bringing this up.

Please, don't take me out of context.

My position is not that the white man came. No
It is that we had ingenuity before he came.
Now, he gave us education which is not bad at all.

Problem is that instead of we using the education to enhance our ingenuity, we abandoned our our ingenuity for the certificates.

As for the Bible, I am convinced that Christianity when practiced in truth is far better than the religion of our forefathers.

Forgiveness as is taught in the bible have no equal any where.
Forgiveness is one of the best thing that can happen to a family, community, state or even a nation.
Love as taught in the Bible is beyond human comprehension.

Even in some churches today, I see paganism being practiced, when people curse their acquiescences to die in the name of praying against enemies! The Bible is clear that we should bless those who curse us.

In Africa, we will rather kill who caused a problem than look for solution to that problem.
When the whiteman has a problem, he calls for a meeting to look for solution, but when the black man has a problem, he calls for a meeting to find out what to do to who caused the problem.

Bible should have helped us, but we took the book without the content within the context, just like we took the ABCD letters in our education without the content within context.
Re: The Fraud Called Education: Why Are Africans So Dumb? by arm4u: 7:05pm On Aug 21, 2013
AjanleKoko:

What about those Nigerians/Africans, many of whom are on NL, who have studied abroad, and even lived there, but are still unable to innovate or even relate their learning to anything useful or productive? Just like the fortunate Nigerians back home, they are also working 9-5 jobs. Some others, like many home-based Nigerians, are not so fortunate and have have had to resort to other means to survive.

Education isn't significantly different anywhere else. We definitely have inferior quality of education in Nigeria on all levels, yes. But the quality is really in terms of learning environment, teaching staff, academic content, and maybe competition. Not that there is any radical difference in the purpose of education, or course methodology. They don't implant theories in people's heads in other climes, something drives them to innovate over there. What is that 'something', and why don't we have it here in Nigeria?

I mean, Larry Page and Sergey Brin went to Stanford. Some Nigerians also went to Stanford, why did they not also start companies like Google?

Or if we go back to the OP's premise. Yes, we discarded our traditional beliefs for Oyinbo customs and education. But Oyinbos actually came to Africa and showed us things we had never seen before. If we were so smart before they came, how come we couldn't save ourselves from them?

More than 400 years ago, Newton sat under a tree, an apple fell, and somehow the ma = mg connection was made. Apples, oranges, guavas, etc., have been falling in Africa, and still continue to fall. Yet nobody takes any special notice. undecided

Whatever it is that ails us, de-emphasizing education is not the cure.

You have fallen back to our position!
That Africans have abandoned ingenuity because we are "educated".
That education should enhance ingenuity.

We have a slave mentality! Education ought to make us to think, but in our own case, education has made us to become dull. We cant think outside the box.

It is time to rise up Africans! We can make our own cars!!!!!
Re: The Fraud Called Education: Why Are Africans So Dumb? by arm4u: 7:12pm On Aug 21, 2013
juman: The thread is funny. Education is not a fraud.

T[b]he problem is nigeria fail as a nation because the country fail to make use of education to improve and progress our standard of living.
[/b]
Bad governance from bad leaders fail us.

Bros, read between the lines!
We are not really saying that "Education is a Fraud!.
We are saying that our kind of education is a fraud.

We are not making use of education. We are only interested in certificates so that we can get "handouts" from whosoever. WE are saying that such education which does not lead us into creativity, productivity and problem solving is a fraud. Yes, our kind of education is a fraud! yet, but education is beautiful!

is it confusing?:
Re: The Fraud Called Education: Why Are Africans So Dumb? by arm4u: 7:31pm On Aug 21, 2013
stillwater:

You are correct. I will honestly say I'm a lazy thinker. grin But I'm gradually coming into my own now. And the fact that Nigeria made it look as if you had to become a doctor, pharmacist or engineer if you studied sciences did not help matters. I didn't want to do those so I felt restricted. When I establish myself in whatever field I decide to go to especially in research and development, I would definitely sponsor brilliant secondary school kids from Nigeria to abroad so they won't fall into the category of cram and pass your exams to become a doctor or engineer. God willing!!!

Please, dont feel bad.
That is the way we were trained.
There is no challenge whatsoever, We were told to got school, graduate and get a job.
If they had told us to go to school to get developed so we can be creative, productive and solve problems, if they had challenged us with problems like asking our Electrical Engineers to build transformers, our mechanical engineers to build cars, things would had been different.

Our computer Engineers instead of building computers are busy competing with secondary school level folks who learnt computer repairs.
Our agricultural Engineers are rather in banks instead of building locally made machines suitable for our kind of agricultural productions.

My brother, our pharmacists are selling and dispensing imported drugs instead of manufacturing drugs.
Our doctors are "book" doctors, if a case is not the same as what they were taught, that is the end.

Send a mail to info2.arm@gmail.com
Let us discuss in private.
Re: The Fraud Called Education: Why Are Africans So Dumb? by juman(m): 8:35pm On Aug 21, 2013
arm4u:

Bros, read between the lines!
We are not really saying that "Education is a Fraud!.
We are saying that our kind of education is a fraud.

We are not making use of education. We are only interested in certificates so that we can get "handouts" from whosoever. WE are saying that such education which does not lead us into creativity, productivity and problem solving is a fraud. Yes, our kind of education is a fraud! yet, but education is beautiful!

is it confusing?:

Ok nah, you mean nigeria education has K-leg.

The present arrangement of one nigeria is not working because obviously nigeria is a country that belong to nobody.
Re: The Fraud Called Education: Why Are Africans So Dumb? by arm4u: 10:07pm On Aug 21, 2013
juman:

Ok nah, you mean nigeria education has K-leg.

The present arrangement of one nigeria is not working because obviously nigeria is a country that belong to nobody.

Hence the solution as I stated before is to break up the senseless country and let the individual countries formed determine their faith. That would bring out best of out of those countries.

unfortunately, it is not just Nigeria, it is an African thing! Africa in general is not productive, our education does not apply to our real life challenges. It is a shame!
Re: The Fraud Called Education: Why Are Africans So Dumb? by thoth: 1:13am On Aug 22, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

[img]http://www1.american.edu/ted/ice/images4/cklocust_children.png[/img]
I have always tried to explain this to other people in other threads but they always have this western capitalistic definition of wealth which is probably used to misinform thrid world countries and to force their neo liberal polices down their throat.

I once asked, how did clearing living quarters of middle class citizens made up of many 4 stories and building houses that the middles class themselves cannot afford show development ? this is witnessed in Abuja and Lagos and the result is pushing house prices high and even lack of houses. skyscrapers does not show wealth, wealth is when the quality of life of the constituting citizens are good.

I once asked them how does painting up and old school and then increase the tuition fee threefold becomes wealth when 80% percent cannot afford it ?
well..there are many kinds of education...with time when Africans can no longer take it anymore, when hunger and war had done them quite good, when they have to live from hand to mouth because the cost of survival(not even living) is so high then they will open up to real education.

They would tell you a city has the highest number of billionaires but they will never tell how how many million poor people lives in the same country. yet our people believe this as wealth. a country that has 50 billionaires and 158 million people that are poor is not rich, it is only a country of thieves.

1 Like

Re: The Fraud Called Education: Why Are Africans So Dumb? by arm4u: 8:15am On Aug 22, 2013
thoth:
I have always tried to explain this to other people in other threads but they always have this western capitalistic definition of wealth which is probably used to misinform thrid world countries and to force their neo liberal polices down their throat.

I once asked, how did clearing living quarters of middle class citizens made up of many 4 stories and building houses that the middles class themselves cannot afford show development ? this is witnessed in Abuja and Lagos and the result is pushing house prices high and even lack of houses. skyscrapers does not show wealth, wealth is when the quality of life of the constituting citizens are good.

I once asked them how does painting up and old school and then increase the tuition fee threefold becomes wealth when 80% percent cannot afford it ?
well..there are many kinds of education...with time when Africans can no longer take it anymore, when hunger and war had done them quite good, when they have to live from hand to mouth because the cost of survival(not even living) is so high then they will open up to real education.

They would tell you a city has the highest number of billionaires but they will never tell how how many million poor people lives in the same country. yet our people believe this as wealth. a country that has 50 billionaires and 158 million people that are poor is not rich, it is only a country of thieves.

We have been hoodwinked into the fallacy of these great four parts to wealthy living:

1. go to school and get a certificate
2. get a great job that can pay well
3. earn money the good money
4. buy luxurious things
and live happily ever after.

While these steps can work in the advanced nations like the US because they are properly industrialized, they cannot work in Africa because Africa does not have industries. The only viable "industry" in Africa is politics.

We in Africa need to change numbers 1 and 2 above:

1. go to school to develop your talent and acquire great skills
2. Become creative, productive and solve problems.

The above stated is our mind set on the type of education we need.
Our mentality need to change. The sooner we do this, the better. Or we can relax like you said till hunger come to ravage us.
Re: The Fraud Called Education: Why Are Africans So Dumb? by Nobody: 10:30am On Aug 22, 2013
arm4u: What is Education?
Why do we go to school?
What do we achieve as educated people?

This is the story of Africa!

The colonialists came, they met us farming.
They asked us to drop our farming implements.
They promised us education!

We dropped our cutlasses and our hoes.
We followed them to school.
They thought us their languages.

Then they asked us to bring our books and pens!
They they asked us:

1. What is Agriculture? (As if we did not know)
2. What is farming? (That was what were doing before they came)
3. Mention 2 farming implements (As if we never knew: The difference was the names we called them)
4. Draw hoe (But our fathers gave us hoes and showed us how to use it)
5. Name 5 cash crops (but our fathers gave us those crops to go and sell and bring back cash)
6. What soil is good for farming? (As if we were farming on gravels before they came)
7. on and on and on, it went.

They asked us things we already knew before they came, the only difference was the language!

Then we answered there questions "correctly"!
They clapped for us and gave us papers called "Certificates".

Then we came home with our papers but the damage has been done!

We have lost interest in farming! We have stopped growing our food.
We are "educated" and not "illiterates": so we can't do "dirty" jobs like farming.

We are wearing suits and ties, speaking English but we can't produce food anymore.
Today Africa is suffering. We are hungry!
The little food we have are produced by the "old dirty illiterates".
The rest of the food we must import from the 1st world countries.

Why are Africans so dumb?
It is time to wise up and rise up.

Africa must stop food importation!

Join us in ARM!
The African Revolutionary Movement
Our campaign is that of a mental revolution!.

info2.arm@gmail.com
This is capital balderdash,Myopia and folishness @ the zenith !!!

God,I hate the Topic and the write-up !!

Op, U are one of the problem of Africa ..... Lack of education,crude way of life and lack of exposure has always been the problem of Africa !!!

Education is more than School, so many European(oyinbo) were dropped outa school yet, their system enabled them to be succesful outside formal education !!!

One can never appreciate the value of life without Education cuz Only education both formal and informal @ basic/advanced level is the only means via which u can appreciate and understand ur environment and nature !!!

Lack of education is the problem of Africa continent as a whole ....... Dumbness,crude existence, wickedness and foolishness .....!!

Why should we blame Oyinbo for our woes, Oyinbo has conquered the surge of Atlantic ocean since 16/17th century sailing the sea ..... Expanding their territory what were African leaders of then doing .... These are leaders who think the world begins and end in their village !!!

The worst of all through lack of education by some of our forefathers was to povide a colonialist with the strongest of men/women in the community as slave in exchange for Gun powder,Mirror, Rifle and Wine !!!What is more disgracing than that !!!

Look at Nigerian Leaders, no be all of them go school, simply because they were unable to consolidate what they have learnt is the reason why we keep having problem till today !!!

Education is an avenue to gain KNOWLEDGE of how best to understand your immediate environment and world at large !!!

Education never seek to enslave you but liberate you from slavery and Ignorance, Education never ask you to work for somebody after receiving the knowledge but use knowledged gained to provide solutions to problems and get liberated from Ignorance and shortsightedness .....It is within your violition to determined where best to apply your knowledge which u have gained !!!

African/Nigerian leaders of 40s,50s and 60s were able to Liberate the nation after close to century of slavery,colonialism and direct intervention from the white supremacist through
education acquired from the
White supremacist themselves
peacefully without bloodshed !!!

Education is the only means by which u can be liberated from slavery!!!

It is not the white Education that is bad , it is our system that is poor and how much we really wanto understand life and the entire cosmos ...... !!!

It is wickedness and lack of appreciation of values by Africans that make the continent backward and not Colonialist Education!!

Education is a two sword Either Use it for evil or Good, I think we Africans should start blaming ourselves !!!

And If Not for English/French/Arab ..... Do u know how many languages we woulda had in Nigeria alone talkless africa ? ...... Are u aware Language Barrier is one of the problem of the world !!!

OP, Go and Consolidate on little education u had and stop being BokoHARAM (Education,a sin) !!!
Re: The Fraud Called Education: Why Are Africans So Dumb? by juman(m): 10:42am On Aug 22, 2013
arm4u:

We have been hoodwinked into the fallacy of these great four parts to wealthy living:

1. go to school and get a certificate
2. get a great job that can pay well
3. earn money the good money
4. buy luxurious things
and live happily ever after.

While these steps can work in the advanced nations like the US because they are properly industrialized, they cannot work in Africa because Africa does not have industries. The only viable "industry" in Africa is politics.

We in Africa need to change numbers 1 and 2 above:

1. go to school to develop your talent and acquire great skills
2. Become creative, productive and solve problems.

The above stated is our mind set on the type of education we need.
Our mentality need to change. The sooner we do this, the better. Or we can relax like you said till hunger come to ravage us.

Look and look, the problem is irresponsibility of leaders. Because one nigeria has failed us woefully. nigeria is a fraud and fake country.
Re: The Fraud Called Education: Why Are Africans So Dumb? by Nobody: 11:05am On Aug 22, 2013
And has white education on Agriculture never make our agric system better !!!

U are backward Op, U want an agriculture system where u will bend down with archaic hoe and cutlasses to cultivate 500 hectares of land .....

An Agriculture system where u will be expecting rain to fal after plantation ....

An agriculture system where Jazz is used in plantation instead of fertilizer !??

White education never ask African man to dumb his value system, But most are just too dumb to consolidate the two !!!

If u blame white,na who dem go blame .....

Foolishness!!!
Re: The Fraud Called Education: Why Are Africans So Dumb? by ypeace: 11:12am On Aug 22, 2013
I dont tink the ops is not saying we shud bcom cavemen. Both sides of the arguemnt has some points.. But only few people reason in a similar way with the OP. But sides are a little extreme with their points. Education, reading and writing in itself is not the problem. But the kind of knowledge passed to us through this education is kind of silly. Its taking us away from our natural self. @Op, the prob is not education but western education. Its lik afta aquiring d eductn, our pple bcom liers, more lazy and more corrupt. Its only a foolish man dat wud continue to do dsam tin and expect a diff result. Its tym we retink our strategies and steps and note dat a sch is not the only place we can get an education.
Re: The Fraud Called Education: Why Are Africans So Dumb? by Nobody: 12:13pm On Aug 22, 2013
ypeace: I dont tink the ops is not saying we shud bcom cavemen. Both sides of the arguemnt has some points.. But only few people reason in a similar way with the OP. But sides are a little extreme with their points. Education, reading and writing in itself is not the problem. But the kind of knowledge passed to us through this education is kind of silly. Its taking us away from our natural self. @Op, the prob is not education but western education. Its lik afta aquiring d eductn, our pple bcom liers, more lazy and more corrupt. Its only a foolish man dat wud continue to do dsam tin and expect a diff result. Its tym we retink our strategies and steps and note dat a sch is not the only place we can get an education.
School is one of the best place u can receive the best education !!!

Education has stages ..... Go and read on agent of socialization ...... Thats why what U were thought in basic,Secondary and tertiary institutions differ !!!

There is basic education and advanced education .... From Economics to Agric, Accounting-Phyiscs and chemistry , Microbiology,Medicine and biochemistry .... Business management,Sociology,Political science,Engineering,computer science, even Mathmatics,Yoruba ,french,Hausa,Igbo , downward to sport and Performing Arts etc,

Which among these great courses is harmful to we man ? !!! Are we not the one that have been applying wrongly !!! .......

Why do we blame whites for teaching us what is effective for them, why do we blame them for exposing us to advanced civilisation,why do we blame them for enabling us to have better understanding of the world !!!

Should they also come here to implement our economic policies for us ,...... Why do we find Implementation of goals so difficult !!!

Myopia !!!

Op, should come here and tell me what U have contributed to knowledge
Re: The Fraud Called Education: Why Are Africans So Dumb? by proffemi: 12:51pm On Aug 22, 2013
@OP, I refrained from replying your last post to me because I didn't quite know how to address the errors I note in your stance in a few words. However, I notice the vigor with which you are defending your stance, and so I feel I need to chip in again.

This is my view of your posts:
a) Underneath, there is a good message (our current educational system is not producing results)

BUT

b) Even though you deny it, there is an undertone of accusing the "white man" for this and other ills. This, for many of us, is a red flag, as it hints at the fact that you are a conspiracy theorist. Sure, the "white man" introduced many ills, but that should have nothing to do with the argument in (a), if indeed that is what you are doing.

c) I have not seen anything concrete you are advocating, rather than saying our education is not productive. You should note that you are not the first to realize this. In fact, most of us do. So, your saying it is not constructive. What would have been constructive is if you had specific proposals or ideas that you felt would take us forward.

Someone joked earlier that this is how Boko Haram started. Actually, he wasn't far off the mark. When you
a) identify an ill in a system
b) whip up strong passion against perceived ills
c) half-identify a nebulous entity to blame
d) but you do not suggest a way forward

the passion you whipped up in (b) becomes an explosive force that can be manipulated by evil people to do great harm. In other words, your intentions are noble, but my friend, be careful where you take this. My last words:

Talk is cheap. Either start stating SPECIFIC solutions or go back and do your homework.
Re: The Fraud Called Education: Why Are Africans So Dumb? by ypeace: 1:57pm On Aug 22, 2013
@DONROXY. What the OP has contributed? I tink opening this thrend for us to share idea is a token contribution frm d op. I av actually learnt and reason anoda way frm ur post, wc is anoda contribution to education frm u, even if its just a token.
You asked y we find implementation of goals so difficult. Wat i tink (wc u may eventually prov wrong) is dat, there is somtin wrong in d steps in achievn dos goals. Either we lack adequate knwlg or we av inadequate knwleg to mak dos dreams reality..... Now it all boils down to eductn wc d op is talkin abt. Edctn is suppose to mak us better. Now if in ur veiw, its makin us beta, den there is absltly notin wrong wt our form of edctn. But i bilv nig and africa as a whole is not gettin btter wt our form of eduction.
Blaming as i blv won solve our prob. Pple lik u rightly said shud stop blamin the whites but rather channel their energy in improvn our status. And one suggetn i saw in wat d op wrote for exmpl is restructrn our system so dat we wud stop plantin on papers, we wud start plantin on land.
Wc of the courses is harmful? I say none....... But dont u tink somtin is wrong wen keep buildin useless engineers, doctors and co...... I wud disagree wt the op if he had said we shud stop breedin drs, lawys and co. But i blv wat he is sayin is dat we shud revisit our system of education, we shud mak is natural and ONLY employ frm d whites wat wud mak it better.
School is ONE of the best place we can recieve the best educatn, you are right. But its still not the only way out of the best....... We can tink can explore oda ways
Re: The Fraud Called Education: Why Are Africans So Dumb? by ypeace: 2:07pm On Aug 22, 2013
prof.femi:
@OP, I refrained from replying your last post to me because I didn't quite know how to address the errors I note in your stance in a few words. However, I notice the vigor with which you are defending your stance, and so I feel I need to chip in again.

This is my view of your posts:
a) Underneath, there is a good message (our current educational system is not producing results)

BUT

b) Even though you deny it, there is an undertone of accusing the "white man" for this and other ills. This, for many of us, is a red flag, as it hints at the fact that you are a conspiracy theorist. Sure, the "white man" introduced many ills, but that should have nothing to do with the argument in (a), if indeed that is what you are doing.

c) I have not seen anything concrete you are advocating, rather than saying our education is not productive. You should note that you are not the first to realize this. In fact, most of us do. So, your saying it is not constructive. What would have been constructive is if you had specific proposals or ideas that you felt would take us forward.

Someone joked earlier that this is how Boko Haram started. Actually, he wasn't far off the mark. When you
a) identify an ill in a system
b) whip up strong passion against perceived ills
c) half-identify a nebulous entity to blame
d) but you do not suggest a way forward

the passion you whipped up in (b) becomes an explosive force that can be manipulated by evil people to do great harm. In other words, your intentions are noble, but my friend, be careful where you take this. My last words:

Talk is cheap. Either start stating SPECIFIC solutions or go back and do your homework.
you are absolutely right, talk is so cheap. But its lik d solutn is right b4 us, tryin it out is d prob because many are not even seeing the prob talkless of willing to accept the soltn.
Re: The Fraud Called Education: Why Are Africans So Dumb? by omar22(m): 2:25pm On Aug 22, 2013
thoth:
Now that is a pure lie, nobody gave anybody mirror in exchange for diamonds and i you just keep coming up with these crazy statements i think you are seriously brainwashed.
Africans traded Gold as far as Saudi Arabia and Persia, they know the value of those things and This shows that your are a perfect evidence of what the OP stated, an education that degrades and disables anyone that accepts it.

As they say little informatiom is VERY dangerous
Re: The Fraud Called Education: Why Are Africans So Dumb? by arm4u: 2:29pm On Aug 22, 2013
donroxy: This is capital balderdash,Myopia and folishness @ the zenith !!!

God,I hate the Topic and the write-up !!

Op, U are one of the problem of Africa ..... Lack of education,crude way of life and lack of exposure has always been the problem of Africa !!!

Education is more than School, so many European(oyinbo) were dropped outa school yet, their system enabled them to be succesful outside formal education !!!

One can never appreciate the value of life without Education cuz Only education both formal and informal @ basic/advanced level is the only means via which u can appreciate and understand ur environment and nature !!!

Lack of education is the problem of Africa continent as a whole ....... Dumbness,crude existence, wickedness and foolishness .....!!

Why should we blame Oyinbo for our woes, Oyinbo has conquered the surge of Atlantic ocean since 16/17th century sailing the sea ..... Expanding their territory what were African leaders of then doing .... These are leaders who think the world begins and end in their village !!!

The worst of all through lack of education by some of our forefathers was to povide a colonialist with the strongest of men/women in the community as slave in exchange for Gun powder,Mirror, Rifle and Wine !!!What is more disgracing than that !!!

Look at Nigerian Leaders, no be all of them go school, simply because they were unable to consolidate what they have learnt is the reason why we keep having problem till today !!!

Education is an avenue to gain KNOWLEDGE of how best to understand your immediate environment and world at large !!!

Education never seek to enslave you but liberate you from slavery and Ignorance, Education never ask you to work for somebody after receiving the knowledge but use knowledged gained to provide solutions to problems and get liberated from Ignorance and shortsightedness .....It is within your violition to determined where best to apply your knowledge which u have gained !!!

African/Nigerian leaders of 40s,50s and 60s were able to Liberate the nation after close to century of slavery,colonialism and direct intervention from the white supremacist through
education acquired from the
White supremacist themselves
peacefully without bloodshed !!!

Education is the only means by which u can be liberated from slavery!!!

It is not the white Education that is bad , it is our system that is poor and how much we really wanto understand life and the entire cosmos ...... !!!

It is wickedness and lack of appreciation of values by Africans that make the continent backward and not Colonialist Education!!

Education is a two sword Either Use it for evil or Good, I think we Africans should start blaming ourselves !!!

And If Not for English/French/Arab ..... Do u know how many languages we woulda had in Nigeria alone talkless africa ? ...... Are u aware Language Barrier is one of the problem of the world !!!

OP, Go and Consolidate on little education u had and stop being BokoHARAM (Education,a sin) !!!

I can see your passion, but I can also see that you did not take time to go through the thread!
My original post was sarcasm. I presented a drama to depict our state.
Sure, on the face value, it might appear as if there is undertone of sentiment against those that brought eduction. yet,take a critical look at it, read in between the lines, then you see that the the heart of the matter is this:

To majority of us here with narrow minds, education is nothing else but certificates.
My position is not a conspiracy theory against the the developed nation but rather the stupidity of Africans who got carried away with the certificates and lost interest in creativity and productivity.

take this scenario,

A young man wanted to train to go to school (university education)
but there was no money to train him, so he went to learn how to repair vehicles.
He keeps telling himself that one day he must go to school.
He started repairing vehicles, got some money, got admission and to study mechanical engineering.
While in school, he maintained his workshop so he could get the funds he needed to complete his education.
Finally, he graduates, he closes down his workshop and puts on the applicant badge.
He waits for years for job and gets none because there are no jobs.

Yet, all needed to do was, change the way things are done in the workshop and some bring innovation into vehicle repairs.

here is the irony, " education instead of making him better, had made him worse".

Now, tell me, am I against education and the whiteman?
My answer is no sir! Education is so good and I am grateful that the whiteman brought it

Did i say we should go and farm with hoe?
No sir! We have learnt mechanized farming, my pain is why cant we use it?

Now, did you say lack of education is the problem of Africa?
then give me your right hand of fellowship because these are exactly my thoughts!
What we have today is mere paper exercise, which is not education!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Girl Transformed To A Snake After Being Forced To The Beach: Photo+(UPDATED) / Yoruba-hausa Clash At Dangote Cement Factory In Ogun State, 30 Vehicles Burnt / Despite Growth Promise, Power Supply Averages 3,952MW

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 163
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.