Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,260 members, 7,815,421 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:08 PM

Is It Bad Dating Or Marrying A Guy Or Lady Of Different Religious Belief - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Is It Bad Dating Or Marrying A Guy Or Lady Of Different Religious Belief (984 Views)

7 Ways To Handle A Relationship When You Have Different Religious Views / Are Guys Scared Of Dating Or Marrying Working-Class Ladies? / What Is Wrong With Dating Or Marrying An African American Man? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Bad Dating Or Marrying A Guy Or Lady Of Different Religious Belief by rugipp(m): 4:03am On Aug 21, 2013
Am a christian guy dating a muslim girl right from my year one in the university. Now we are both undergoing our National youth service corp program in the same state,thus making our relationship 5 years and few months old. Although,i love her and she loves me too but the problem is the girl knows it will be difficult to marry me because her parents are muslims and its getting difficult to leave each other as d day goes by. Presently we live togther in NYSC place of Primary assingment.Please i need you guys candid opinions about what i should do beacuse we are planning of getting her impregnated when the right time for marriage comes. May be with this her parents will have no choice than to support her.tanks
Re: Is It Bad Dating Or Marrying A Guy Or Lady Of Different Religious Belief by Nobody: 4:19am On Aug 21, 2013
Different strokes for different folks. To some, it does matter. They must be of the same beliefs.
To others, they must not. One can always change for the other or they could go ahead and marry but retain their different religion.
So its upto you.
Re: Is It Bad Dating Or Marrying A Guy Or Lady Of Different Religious Belief by k2039: 6:54am On Aug 21, 2013
One of you must be willing to change his/her religion to the other, if not, I strongly advice against it.

But on a closer look at your post, since you love the girl, while not convert to islam.

But if you guys get to marry with both of you retaining your faith, the biggest problem both of you will likely face is how to raise the children. Trust me that can get ugly unless you both agree on what faith your children will follow and I'll advise you have the agreement under seal.

Also, don't ever think you will convert her, that is the greatest mistakes most folks like you make.

1 Like

Re: Is It Bad Dating Or Marrying A Guy Or Lady Of Different Religious Belief by dmcdad: 6:57am On Aug 21, 2013
You can get to marry one from other religion as long one of you is ready to accept the other's religion. But to talk about having different beliefs while married is one thing I would never advice. There is need for a couple to share the same faith and belief. It helps...

So, whatever way you wanna make this work, please do in as much as she is ready to worship in the Christian faith with you. Less I forget, what have you guys done as regards letting the parents know? Or you are just pessimistic they wouldn't agree to it?
Re: Is It Bad Dating Or Marrying A Guy Or Lady Of Different Religious Belief by thorpido(m): 7:56am On Aug 21, 2013
The bible says can two work together except they be agreed?
There are people who have married having different religions and have somehow made it work.However,u can't tell what struggles they may have gone through.It's better to be of the same faith.

There's something about having Jesus in the family.It's beyond religion.
Re: Is It Bad Dating Or Marrying A Guy Or Lady Of Different Religious Belief by rugipp(m): 7:59am On Aug 21, 2013
k2039: One of you must be willing to change his/her religion to the other, if not, I strongly advice against it.

But on a closer look at your post, since you love the girl, while not convert to islam.

But if you guys get to marry with both of you retaining your faith, the biggest problem both of you will likely face is how to raise the children. Trust me that can get ugly unless you both agree on what faith your children will follow and I'll advise you have the agreement under seal.

Also, don't ever think you will convert her, that is the greatest mistakes most folks like you make.

Tanks for your contribution,but am not saying i want †̥o covert her to my religion,so far she worship her God and answers her prayers..i love her because of her personality and her way of life.About raising kids,i have freinds born of parents with different religious belief and dey are doing well in life.
Re: Is It Bad Dating Or Marrying A Guy Or Lady Of Different Religious Belief by Popowaa: 8:03am On Aug 21, 2013
Still no,it will get to a time it will bring conflict
rugipp:

Tanks for your contribution,but am not saying i want †̥o covert her to my religion,so far she worship her God and answers her prayers..i love her because of her personality and her way of life.About raising kids,i have freinds born of parents with different religious belief and dey are doing well in life.
Re: Is It Bad Dating Or Marrying A Guy Or Lady Of Different Religious Belief by Nobody: 8:09am On Aug 21, 2013
if getting her pregnant is the only option do it, but be ready for any repercussion in the future
Re: Is It Bad Dating Or Marrying A Guy Or Lady Of Different Religious Belief by rugipp(m): 8:22am On Aug 21, 2013
Popowaa: Still no,it will get to a time it will bring conflict

U are saying no because u are not in my shoes and it's easy to say no..@times i ask people if religion a criteria for marriage or relationships..i tink love,fear of God and understanding of each other is d utmost and d most important thing in marriage. We have seen married couples of d same religion divorcing each other..can we now say its because of religion or dat they don't understand each other... In short,d main thin is understanding and fear of God
Re: Is It Bad Dating Or Marrying A Guy Or Lady Of Different Religious Belief by k2039: 8:28am On Aug 21, 2013
rugipp:

Are your kids going to be christians or muslims, that was what I asked you to ponder on.
Re: Is It Bad Dating Or Marrying A Guy Or Lady Of Different Religious Belief by dmcdad: 8:31am On Aug 21, 2013
^^^^ Kids? Lol
Re: Is It Bad Dating Or Marrying A Guy Or Lady Of Different Religious Belief by k2039: 8:54am On Aug 21, 2013
dmcdad: ^^^^ Kids? Lol
lol.

In short,d main thin is understanding and fear of God
Op, your mind seems to be made up, you just wants us to assure you that it's okay to marry her.

What if you impregnate her and her parents still stand firm to what they believe, you can have your kid but not your wife.

If they allow you to marry her due to the fact that she got pregnant, what did your pastor teach you about parental consent as regards marriage.

Anything you do, just make sure her parents know, don't attempt to get her pregnant before getting her parents consent.

Besides, get to know her parents before concluding on what they will do/say.
Re: Is It Bad Dating Or Marrying A Guy Or Lady Of Different Religious Belief by usermane(m): 10:19am On Aug 21, 2013
Good morning nairalanders. OP,i do understand ur situation here but trust me, getting her pregnant is an immoral way of going about it. Don't evn consider that as an option. The later severe consequences quite outweigh the benefits. I feel your pain, starcrossed lover. Her guardians says 'no' and urs say 'no'. U should have anticipated this & planned in advance during undergraduate days, now is the 11th hour my friend.
One of you have to convince the other that "my religion is the true path". And even then, considering how religious adherent treat apostates,it is highly unlikely it would work out in d end. So u might find quitting at this point a considerable bet.
Re: Is It Bad Dating Or Marrying A Guy Or Lady Of Different Religious Belief by rugipp(m): 10:45am On Aug 21, 2013
usermane: Good morning nairalanders. OP,i do understand ur situation here but trust me, getting her pregnant is an immoral way of going about it. Don't evn consider that as an option. The later severe consequences quite outweigh the benefits. I feel your pain, starcrossed lover. Her guardians says 'no' and urs say 'no'. U should have anticipated this & planned in advance during undergraduate days, now is the 11th hour my friend.
One of you have to convince the other that "my religion is the true path". And even then, considering how religious adherent treat apostates,it is highly unlikely it would work out in d end. So u might find quitting at this point a considerable bet.
My parents aren't saying we cant marry each other may be because am d guy ....basically it would av been easy to break the relationship,but we both know dat we love,knows each other flaws and can manage it both may be due to the fact we were both young wen we started.We started dating wen we were 17 and 18..making us both first time lovers.Here we are 5years plus gone.We worked our NYSC †̥o d same state and same town. My question to u is what do tink her parent can do if she gets pregnant? They are well learned and knows d implication of a female child having marital problems if they insists we cant marry each other.tanks
Re: Is It Bad Dating Or Marrying A Guy Or Lady Of Different Religious Belief by Teenzy(f): 10:46am On Aug 21, 2013
Its wise 2 marry smeone of d same faith....marriage is a different ballgame compared 2 dating...as a xtian u know 2 pple cant walk 2gether unless dey agree...Now u might think it doesnt reali matter bt when d kids start coming in and d religion 2 follow sets in, normal family ish start arising then it will now depend on ur faith 2 pull tru in dose kinda situations...so its really gud 4 couples planning 2 get married beliv in d same thing....God himself is nt an authour of cofussion....just pray 4 Gods wisdom 2 help u mk d right decision so as 2 avoid unnecessary wahala...
Re: Is It Bad Dating Or Marrying A Guy Or Lady Of Different Religious Belief by Monicasque(f): 10:49am On Aug 21, 2013
both of you must be willing to compromise, maybe 1 must change religion or just accept that u r from 2 different worlds, accept each other for who u r or just forget it
Re: Is It Bad Dating Or Marrying A Guy Or Lady Of Different Religious Belief by usermane(m): 6:25pm On Aug 21, 2013
rugipp:
My parents aren't saying we cant marry each other may be because am d guy ....basically it would av been easy to break the relationship,but we both know dat we love,knows each other flaws and can manage it both may be due to the fact we were both young wen we started.We started dating wen we were 17 and 18..making us both first time lovers.Here we are 5years plus gone.We worked our NYSC †̥o d same state and same town. My question to u is what do tink her parent can do if she gets pregnant? They are well learned and knows d implication of a female child having marital problems if they insists we cant marry each other.tanks
In as much as i wish it were simpler,i am afraid it isn't. Now i don't know her parent, nay i don't but i know something else. Yes, I do know that there are different kinds of muslim parents,some lenient enough to let a christain wed their girl but others so staunch and wont stand the idea of their daughter dating a non muslim,talk more of marrying her. With either kind and 2 b candid, no one would stand u getting their daughter pregnant & might get back at u or ban u from her even if u put her in a family way. Muslims considers premarital sex a gross sin and punish the offenders severely. Such is how difficult religious differences can make life be.
I say give it time pal, try to gradually address it. Get to know her parents,how much do they practise islam? Get to know her religion, Islam may not be as black as it appears, u two should reaccess which is the true lane to salvation while begging GOD to guide u.
Re: Is It Bad Dating Or Marrying A Guy Or Lady Of Different Religious Belief by k2039: 6:33pm On Aug 21, 2013
Op, she knows her parent, she should be able to foretell their possible actions.

Besides, are you telling me throughout you five years of dating, she never spoke about you to her mum.
Re: Is It Bad Dating Or Marrying A Guy Or Lady Of Different Religious Belief by dmcdad: 6:35pm On Aug 21, 2013
^^^^ That got my ruminating....

(1) (Reply)

Do Online Relationships Last? / Urgent And Life Saving Advice Seeked By A Nairalander / Homebase Nigerian Guyz Vs Nigerian Guyz In Diaspora... Who are mre handsome?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.