Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,099 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:42 AM

Bitter Experience Living With Landlords - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Bitter Experience Living With Landlords (20270 Views)

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<THREAD FOR LANDLORDS AND LANDLORDS TO BE ONLY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> / Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords / Do Tenants Bargain With Landlords To Sell His Rented Flat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by igbeke: 1:57pm On Oct 25, 2013
@ d topic.
dat's really sad.
my first accomodation was a place we shared wit our landlord. a yoruba alhaji,. I can say wit d whole of my sincere heart dat he is one among few. even his wives and children were no exception.
though i no longer live there, yet i see myself as part of his family.
d most reason i castigate muslims wit some reservations cos some of dem are gloriously good.

2 Likes

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by Cahmegga: 1:57pm On Oct 25, 2013
Stayed in a rented place wif my landlord during my service year...in Ifon, Ondo state...he was a motivational person and a true educationist..he died Oct 1st 2013, 9 days to my POP

R.I.P Chief Daniel Eni-Olotu...

3 Likes

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by ayandee: 2:03pm On Oct 25, 2013
my landlord said the same thing about my dstv. He complained that the dish was affecting the roof. Before we returned from work he had shifted the dish and disrupted its settings. We had to unmount it and ended up giving it out. He switches off our generator by himself every night. He seizes children's toys and bicycles. I don tire

3 Likes

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by simplyOJ(m): 2:07pm On Oct 25, 2013
Mine was way back in 2004. My landlord kept complaining about my having too many visitors. The wife operated a kiosk by the gate-house, they easily turned back my visitors by telling them I was not at home. They had a dog who is always backing at my wife, the landlord concluded probably my wife was a witch. That brought out the beast in me which led him to serve me a quit notice. I received the quit notice without showing an sign of fear, this got him worried. I still had 3 months left on my tenancy. During those 3 month, he didn't here any response from me; probably thinking I must be in a cult; he expected me to come begging because during those times accommodation within the estate were scare and El-Rufia (former FCT Minister) was doing what he knew best. I waited till the last day of my tenancy and moved my family quietly. I remember him calling his wife from his office every other minute to ensure I was not moving them together with properties

We still come across each other once in a while at the estate. I just wonder what must be going through his mind any time we met.
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by Wadosky(m): 2:10pm On Oct 25, 2013
My landlord is easy going and a born again
When my friends come around they do smoke and drop d filters on d floor which he doesnt like though he has never confronted me on that.
my landlord stays behind me alone with his family in lagos. He leaves early in d am and comes back late.
my verdict; he is cool.i dont have problem with him.
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by Lilimax(f): 2:14pm On Oct 25, 2013
One of my friend was even told not to use a gas cooker in her apartment sad.
In this day and age undecided
She has to move out of the house.
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by SUNNY45: 2:15pm On Oct 25, 2013
@ Op...There's nothing wrong with living with your Landlord/Landlady. If you are having issues, the best way is to device a means of boycotting the issues by creating practical solutions to each issues.

The place i stayed before the current one was hell as the Landlord will always ask us to contribute money to either fix the pumping machine or buy another one. At some point, i had to get a small tank and employ people to always fill it up and that was it.

1 Like

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by Boss13: 2:16pm On Oct 25, 2013
carujmonella: Living under a landlord depends on two thing

On whether he's good or bad

Good landlord can help fertilize a healthy relationship between you and him. Some landlords are so good that when one wants to relocate, he feels like crying knowing he may never meet his type again

But some(if not many) are devils in human flesh. They'll so frustrate you, you'll wish for death. Some nag a lot. Sending you letters three months before your rent expires.

Anytime they see you they'll be like "gbenga, I hope say you know say your rent dey expire next three months. Get my money ready. I no wan hear story or else I go evacuate you". They will keep singing the crap into your ears that you'll get frustrated. Some are heartless, won't even give you some weeks to pay before serving a quit notice.. Landlords can be worse than devil sometimes

Anyway, my dad is a landlord... So I've truly never felt the direct negative impact of being a tenant. All my experiences are based on what I see/saw. The years of living in hostels wasn't exactly cruel either cool

Well get ready, you ain't going to stay in your father's house forever
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by kommiejewel(f): 2:17pm On Oct 25, 2013
ITbomb: I ve no bitter experiences, my Landlord's daughter is wonderful.
He even give me bonanza , pay two years and get 3 months free
Badt guy!! Ur landlord's daughter. . Ur landlord no get son?. .cheesycheesy

1 Like

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by bamssy(m): 2:18pm On Oct 25, 2013
gabbytabby: You could get a small tank for yourself and that way you do not run out of water. Where there are solutions make use of them.
aw sure r u d landlady wl aw him 2 bring in his own tank besides wl she also allow him 2 pump water in2 his tank after refusing dem 2 pump water in2 d general tank

3 Likes

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by raqueal(f): 2:20pm On Oct 25, 2013
People should ask questions before moving into any apartment whether or not the house owner lives there. Befriend your soon-to-be- neighbors, the woman whose shop is down the road and ask questions otherwise it will be a nightmare. Also, exercise caution and run a background check when renting from old people because most of them are extremely picky and troublesome (no offense).

My present landlady gave me many rules and regulations as expected by anyone renting out to a single lady in this town. She is extremely nice but on weekends, i hear a lot of "you don't want to tell us that you are going out?" on "Don't stay long oo" "won't you go to church" and it gets to me most times but i know she means well.

1 Like

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by 4lashy(m): 2:23pm On Oct 25, 2013
Currently, my landlord is the most troublesome personality I have ever encountered. He complains virtually about everything. The only thing we share is PHCN meter and water system. He complains about my family being too quiet and keeping to ourselves. He also complains about me not coming to inform him when PHCN restores power so as to enable him turn off his generating set...when we don't share same generating set.

4 Likes

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by victorD3: 2:28pm On Oct 25, 2013
Mine was during my undergraduate years that could only be discribed with a word "HELL".

Now I stay in a house alone with no landlord or co-tenants (my landlord stays in the US). Well that has been my decision after my experiences with three different landlords during uni. However I coughed out extra N400k for my current pleasure and happiness.

BTW: Its disheartening when you or ur parents are good landlords but somewhere very far from home some loser treats you like crap just bacause you can't carry your mansion arround.

1 Like

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by raqueal(f): 2:41pm On Oct 25, 2013
ayandee: my landlord said the same thing about my dstv. He complained that the dish was affecting the roof. Before we returned from work he had shifted the dish and disrupted its settings. We had to unmount it and ended up giving it out. He switches off our generator by himself every night. He seizes children's toys and bicycles. I don tire

I am not judging you but this scene plays out in my grandfathers house every time. Tenants mounting dstv dishes too close to the roof top, switching of generators around 1. am or leaving it all night. These are avoidable situations but everyone is so selfish. Some deliberately create nuisance do and you just can't empathize with them in situations like this

1 Like

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by simplynola(m): 2:42pm On Oct 25, 2013
Always at most avoid houses where owners live in the same compound. Ask the agents very well cuz most times they lie that the house is only for tenants or you ask any resident you see around while going for inspection. But if you must to live with house owners, try avoid house where the owners are old or retired cuz they put most effect of boredom and frustration on you. Avoid Landladies cuz they are the most troublesome particularly the uneducated and the ones already in menopause as they mostly experience flashes and you will have yourself to blame for living with them. Avoid religion fanatics. All that glitters aint gold
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by joanana(f): 2:43pm On Oct 25, 2013
@Op i understand what you are going through in the house of these so called landlords. Anyway, my father was a landlord(Bless his soul) n he never treated his tenants badly . The house i live in... the man na total nut case. Imagine a landlord telling his tenants not to put any foot wares in front of their rooms. If you do, the next morning na one leg of shoe u go see, the other one landlord don donate am to LWMA.

One morning, we dropped our dirt at the gate for LWMA to dispose o... At night Oga landlord creep like cockroach , spread the dirt in front of our door. We saw the stuff the next morning, my sister cursed the person that did it and his generations, his children, in fact she was screaming so that the person that did will come out... n behold oga landlord could not take the insults n curses anymore, he admitted that he did it.
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by passionate88: 2:48pm On Oct 25, 2013
joanana: my sister cursed the person that did it and his generations, his children, in fact she was screaming so that the person that did will come out... n behold oga landlord could not take the insults n curses anymore, he admitted that he did it.

hahahahahaha. The landlord go dn boil inside die
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by Zikkie(f): 2:51pm On Oct 25, 2013
Some tenants also do not tend to know their boundaries, especially wen u come to realize the landlord/lady is an easy going person. My dad's tenants who live in the same compound wld hardly ever come out to pump water when the light is restored, but during the weekends, the wifey's brothers wld come from school and wash all the clothes in this world!
They wait till u say good morning before they greet!, the man, planted yams in my mum's farm without her conscent ! I mean, who ever does that
For all landlords who r intentionally wicked! God wl judge them! But let's play our roles as tenants well and be considerate and reasonable in all we do! Shikena!

3 Likes

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by 9free(m): 2:57pm On Oct 25, 2013
Now I know I have the best Landlord&Landlady there could ever be. No complains. cheesy
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by Nobody: 2:58pm On Oct 25, 2013
Landlord! Landlord!! Landlord!!! grin May God continually protect us tenants and landlords to be wink I've witnessed series of wicked landlord and also witnessed series of wicked tenants as well. I can't give statistics as to who is more wicked. But no landlord can subdue me cos am staying in his apartment smiley else, he'll have a ride with me on hot coal. I witnessed a quite sympathetic disagreement between a landlord and one of his tenants. The Lanlords son got the tenant daughter pregnant and the lanlord was calling the tenant and his family gold digger, that he sents his daughter to be sleeping with his son so that they won't be paying house rent anymore cheesy the argument and fights lingered for weeks and the landlord gave them notice to quit the apartment. I called the tenant and asked him how many months he still have on his tenancy, he said 5months. I noticed the landlord was threteningbthem with his first son who is an area boy (agboro). I called a friend who is a lawyer and they dealt well with the landlord and also spoke with my cousin who is a lieutenant in the Army.

2 Likes

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by tigonana: 2:58pm On Oct 25, 2013
The house wey my former bros D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣ live,the landlord do ritual,buried one of of is victim in 1 of is tenant kitchen tanks to a pastor who later reveal evrtin, D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣ dug d kitchen nd found d body after livin in d ouse for almosts 2 yrs,no be small tin o d lanlord ran away evrybdy evacuate d building,if u wnt rent any ouse like flat mke u try seek ur pastor or imam nd u will knw were u are going to.

1 Like

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by tellwisdom: 3:01pm On Oct 25, 2013
Smelly houses sad
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by steffans(m): 3:05pm On Oct 25, 2013
ayandee: my landlord said the same thing about my dstv. He complained that the dish was affecting the roof. Before we returned from work he had shifted the dish and disrupted its settings. We had to unmount it and ended up giving it out. He switches off our generator by himself every night. He seizes children's toys and bicycles. I don tire

I have bin reading all d post but urs stands out... Is he Mad to off my Gen set...

Tho I have neva stayed in a house with d Landlord... But dis Situations are like bin in Prison wyl u are nt caged dats terrible!!!!
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by everyday: 3:12pm On Oct 25, 2013
gabbytabby: You could get a small tank for yourself and that way you do not run out of water. Where there are solutions make use of them.
Didn't you read his post.That woman is a devil.A person that did not permit to install a DSTV will it then be tank in order for him to have his own private supply of water
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by Gboliwe: 3:13pm On Oct 25, 2013
Bwahahahahahaha, you are all so funny!
My landlord is the worst there is. Believe me! If I start, i'm sure you will all agree.
Make I no start. Let me just enjoy you all stories. grin

2 Likes

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by oildude(m): 3:16pm On Oct 25, 2013
4 me I have a gud relationship in d house I stay wif my landlady whom his son dat owns d house live in london,We live like a family,cos I take kia of d mama like my own mother,gave her gift,load her prepaid meters,even fuel her generator wen we need it 2 run d borehole,Bt d basic of dis is dat d day i was packing into my own house d mama was crying,even d day I do prayer in my house she was dancing and praying 4 me.

Now am coming 2 my tenant,whom I hav already even given six month quite notice,wish will elapse by dis month end.I hav a lot of reason dis guy has 2 be given quit notice.

1.Dis guy decieve me b4 parking into my house by posing wif a gurlfrnd as a wife,as dat was my criteria for a tenant in my house(he was 4given,so accpted,bt documented)

2.We use prepaid meter,wen we ar recharging,I pay higher dan him,meanwhile he stays home mornin till evening All electronics n lights on,still do complain abt d money he pays 4 recharging d meter(maybe he want free light)

3.Always complain wen we need 2 take care of d compound,mostly wen we need 2 weed d compound,no matter d small money he has 2 contribute,he still complain,most times i do dis all on my own account even wen am not home,he doesnt felt concerned

4.Neva pays his rent complete,always payin in bashes,it was only d first rent wen he was coming in dat was paid in full,so subsequent payments ar in half

5.Den d worst dat got me infuriated was him going behind me 2 lie 2 my wife and tell her wat I ddnt say abt my wife only to nearly create a fight between me n my wife.

So can someone tells me hia why he should be given a booth out of my house,really sha no opinion counts coz already he is parking out of my house by month end.
All his paper well documented,so even going 2 d court is in my favor.

3 Likes

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by komek(m): 3:19pm On Oct 25, 2013
Some of them are very good, like my landlord.

Buh my problem is that he will nver call if their is an issue in the compound rather he will be flashing me and he wud later claim he was phoning me. Very funny atimes.

This is a man that owns over 20 houses in Lagos and Ibadan,
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by Nobody: 3:23pm On Oct 25, 2013
I once lived in a house with a landlady,it was Hell,but I showed her pepper,she complains a lot,and very wicked. She lockeD the toilet,and order people to collect key from her. in order to prevent a tenant from using the toilet.she did so many things,when I moved out,I went for thanksgiving.
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by Profitcost: 3:24pm On Oct 25, 2013
saintgwizard: Mine was during my NYSC, I lived in a one room face me I face with the landlady living in same compound. It was hell!!

Every morning, this woman will match me out to wash the toilet and compound while his son will be sleeping.

The day she noticed I had a laptop, she increased my electricity bill by 200%.

When I want to use the toilet, she wakes to monitor how much water I used to wash the place, the next thing is a shout that I want to fill the suck away pit.

Come back anything after 9pm and u will sleep outside.

The list is endless.

Presently I will never stay in a house the landlord lives in the same city.
If you kn ur right as a tenant no landlord/landlady wil disturb u. I was begged to pack out by my landlord then becos i knew the tanacy law better than him. The issue of coming bk late, i use to come bk frm 11pm. U‘ve the right to come bk wen u lik unless u agreed nt to come late in ur agreement.
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by brotherlyn(m): 3:25pm On Oct 25, 2013
My tenants are really enjoying me
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by PrettaPacco(f): 3:27pm On Oct 25, 2013
My dear, i was a victim, but i so dealt with the stupid landlord and his wife. Imaging a landlady instructing you not to store water in your apartment. A whole lot of stupid rules and regulations, to God be the glory I now own my own house. I pledge never to treat my tenants as outcast.[quote][/quote]
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by steffans(m): 3:31pm On Oct 25, 2013
oildude: 4 me I have a gud relationship in d house I stay wif my landlady whom his son dat owns d house live in london,We live like a family,cos I take kia of d mama like my own mother,gave her gift,load her prepaid meters,even fuel her generator wen we need it 2 run d borehole,Bt d basic of dis is dat d day i was packing into my own house d mama was crying,even d day I do prayer in my house she was dancing and praying 4 me.

Now am coming 2 my tenant,whom I hav already even given six month quite notice,wish will elapse by dis month end.I hav a lot of reason dis guy has 2 be given quit notice.

1.Dis guy decieve me b4 parking into my house by posing wif a gurlfrnd as a wife,as dat was my criteria for a tenant in my house(he was 4given,so accpted,bt documented)

2.We use prepaid meter,wen we ar recharging,I pay higher dan him,meanwhile he stays home mornin till evening All electronics n lights on,still do complain abt d money he pays 4 recharging d meter(maybe he want free light)

3.Always complain wen we need 2 take care of d compound,mostly wen we need 2 weed d compound,no matter d small money he has 2 contribute,he still complain,most times i do dis all on my own account even wen am not home,he doesnt felt concerned

4.Neva pays his rent complete,always payin in bashes,it was only d first rent wen he was coming in dat was paid in full,so subsequent payments ar in half

5.Den d worst dat got me infuriated was him going behind me 2 lie 2 my wife and tell her wat I ddnt say abt my wife only to nearly create a fight between me n my wife.

So can someone tells me hia why he should be given a booth out of my house,really sha no opinion counts coz already he is parking out of my house by month end.
All his paper well documented,so even going 2 d court is in my favor.

Is dis how Bad ur English is or u actually typed with Yoruba pronuaciations

Its Well Sir!!!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Share Your Omo-onile (Landowner's Children) Experience. / ASOKORO ROCKVILLA ESTATE GUZAPE, ABUJA. DON'T MISS IT! / Photos: Mansard Building In VI Lagos On Fire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.