Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,464 members, 7,816,088 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:53 AM

Bitter Experience Living With Landlords - Properties (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Bitter Experience Living With Landlords (20269 Views)

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<THREAD FOR LANDLORDS AND LANDLORDS TO BE ONLY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> / Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords / Do Tenants Bargain With Landlords To Sell His Rented Flat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by tomakint: 7:39am On Oct 27, 2013
@Op you have done a good job for digging up a topic as sensitive and real as this for discussions! In as much as we cannot conclude that not all landlords/ladies are the same, it is very important to consider the salient points raised here! Living in the same compound with your landlord/lady is not a wise decision worth considering my own experience was hellish, especially if the landlord/lady are elderly (70 something upwards). They must disturb, use you, nag, frown, fake a smile to make a point!
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by gabbytabby: 3:27pm On Oct 27, 2013
Chartey:
True but sometimes that gen thing annoyed me as a co-tenant. I got only about 3hrs of sleep and i had very hectic days. It was an estate kinda so there was no landlord to put tenants in check.

Dont mind Ekoboy he is a co owner him join build the house. Tenant like this need to speak up so that the Landlord knows he/she has a nuisance on their hands and let him take his generator under the bridge so that he can make as much noise as he likes. Now that I know that commonsense is not so common, I ask this particular question. Even people that have come to 9ja with little children dont say because them get petrol money nobody else go sleep they find ways to live and let live and then you get a numbskull who becomes the neighbourhood nuisance and a terror to other tenants who have to suffer hence they dont want to live with someone who would talk some sense into them. Then they wonder why they get an eviction notice. If you cant live like a reasonable human being and choose to behave like an animal then, you get treated like an animal.
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by ibisweet(f): 6:53pm On Oct 27, 2013
Honestly living with Landlord can be a Ǧ☺☺ϑ or bad depending on. Their character
♍Ɣ husband aΩ̴̩̩̩̥d̶̲̥̅̊ i once live in an apartment where mere seeing D apartment ‎​U̶̲̥̅̊ believe ‎​U̶̲̥̅̊ re in heaven but contrary is D case
We re nt giving any dont n dos when we move in D 1st issue we had wt dm was that when we complain about D nature of dre water supply D landlord said we will get use τ̲̅ȍ it

Then came a long list of dos n donts like
D lanlady coming τ̲̅ȍ knock on our door when it is 10pm τ̲̅ȍ go aΩ̴̩̩̩̥d̶̲̥̅̊ off our generator says 10pm is light out when PHCN refuses τ̲̅ȍ bring light

Having τ̲̅ȍ remove our foot wears down D stair case b4 we use D stairs simply because they do D same

Having τ̲̅ȍ b locked out if ‎​U̶̲̥̅̊ could make in by 10pm

Many that i cld nt even begin τ̲̅ȍ count...trust ♍Ɣ husband went τ̲̅ȍ him τ̲̅ȍ refund our rent that we cant follow such Stupid answers for stupid questions:
1. Someone calls you at 2am in the nyt nd ask Ʊ
"are u sleepin?"
Ans : no,I'm pickin beans..
2. When its raining and somone notices u goin out
yet they ask; are
u goin out in this rain?? Ans: no in the next one
... 3. They see you coming out of the bathroom,
wet; did u just have a
bath? Ans: no, i fell into the toilet bowl
4. You standing right in front of the elevator on
the ground floor
going to your office,yet they ask; going up?? Ans:
no, i'm waiting for
my office to come down to me!
5. Your boyfriend comes home with a bunch of
flowers and u still ask
him; are those flowers? Ans: no baby, they're
carrots!
6. You're in the toilet and you locked the
door,som1 knocks on the
door asking; is any1 there? Ans: No! na shit lock
the
door...mtscheew!!
7. You're in the queue at the cinema to buy
tickets, a frnd sees you
and asks; what are you doin here? Ans: i'm here to
pay my school
fees!...
8. When people see you lying down with your eyes
closed, they still
ask; are you sleeping?? Ans: No! I'm practising to
die....
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by mrfolu(m): 7:26pm On Oct 27, 2013
A very important advice to prospective tenants is ask from neighbors about your future landlord or landlady and I can bet the true picture will be revealed to you on a platter of gold.
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by ekoboy: 7:35pm On Oct 27, 2013
Chartey:
True but sometimes that gen thing annoyed me as a co-tenant. I got only about 3hrs of sleep and i had very hectic days. It was an estate kinda so there was no landlord to put tenants in check.
agreed its annoying. But unfortunately thats not a situation created by the tenant. Can't we just blame PHCN. Afterall the tenant still spends money running the generator. am sure if he has an option hw wld rather not run his generator. this idea of asking tenant to put off his generator at a certain I feel is just utmost nonsense. would you ask your neighbour in another compound to put off his generator? agreed its an unfortunate situation bt pls tenant shld be left out of it. if its possible a better location that would keep everybody fairly happy should be used.

1 Like

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by ekoboy: 7:44pm On Oct 27, 2013
gabbytabby:

Dont mind Ekoboy he is a co owner him join build the house. Tenant like this need to speak up so that the Landlord knows he/she has a nuisance on their hands and let him take his generator under the bridge so that he can make as much noise as he likes. Now that I know that commonsense is not so common, I ask this particular question. Even people that have come to 9ja with little children dont say because them get petrol money nobody else go sleep they find ways to live and let live and then you get a numbskull who becomes the neighbourhood nuisance and a terror to other tenants who have to suffer hence they dont want to live with someone who would talk some sense into them. Then they wonder why they get an eviction notice. If you cant live like a reasonable human being and choose to behave like an animal then, you get treated like an animal.
Landlord of the year! its opinions like this that make you get the sort of tenants you get. Funny you are not even around so I believe you have power 24hrs where you are. So its easy for you to suggest ppl sleep under heat and mosquito bite because of generator noise.

1 Like

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by gabbytabby: 8:08pm On Oct 27, 2013
ekoboy:
agreed its annoying. But unfortunately thats not a situation created by the tenant. Can't we just blame PHCN. Afterall the tenant still spends money running the generator. am sure if he has an option hw wld rather not run his generator. this idea of asking tenant to put off his generator at a certain I feel is just utmost nonsense. would you ask your neighbour in another compound to put off his generator? agreed its an unfortunate situation bt pls tenant shld be left out of it. if its possible a better location that would keep everybody fairly happy should be used.

If there are 4 tenants in the compound and all have a generator which they put off before they go to bed say by 12am and then one person, the special case, who would leave it on despite other people saying having it on all night means its difficult for them to get any sleep, they are usually also the trouble makers, wont pay rent , time to pay PHCN or any other bill all you hear is I no get money oh or I go pay later. I guess the solution is since PHCN take light, I will make my neighbours pay by creating noise nuisance in the neighbourhood and close my window while none of my neighbours who have opened windows to get fresh air would not sleep and that seems like the right thing to do. You know its annoying but are comfortable being annoying XXXXX shakes head XXXX -- I guess to hell with everybody else and you think any landlord will want you as a tenant
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by gabbytabby: 8:18pm On Oct 27, 2013
ekoboy:
Landlord of the year! its opinions like this that make you get the sort of tenants you get. Funny you are not even around so I believe you have power 24hrs where you are. So its easy for you to suggest ppl sleep under heat and mosquito bite because of generator noise.

It is under the same heat that my children and I sleep when I come to 9ja and for the most part it is cool at this time of the night and I no say because I get petrol money and I be landlady nobody go sleep. Its just common sense if everyone is running gen all through the night then nobody go get any sleep. The thinking of some people is just out of this world please stay for your 9ja with that kind attitude cos if you become a neighbourhood noise nuisance for yonder them go take your equipment and fine you on top of it. If you still no learn then them go chase you commot for your house sharp sharp.
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by ekoboy: 8:38pm On Oct 27, 2013
lipsrsealed
gabbytabby:

If there are 4 tenants in the compound and all have a generator which they put off before they go to bed say by 12am and then one person, the special case, who would leave it on despite other people saying having it on all night means its difficult for them to get any sleep, they are usually also the trouble makers, wont pay rent , time to pay PHCN or any other bill all you hear is I no get money oh or I go pay later. I guess the solution is since PHCN take light, I will make my neighbours pay by creating noise nuisance in the neighbourhood and close my window while none of my neighbours who have opened windows to get fresh air would not sleep and that seems like the right thing to do. You know its annoying but are comfortable being annoying XXXXX shakes head XXXX -- I guess to hell with everybody else and you think any landlord will want you as a tenant
No worry about my tenancy. as far as I can afford to pay ppl have to rent their house. Am sure you would be more than glad to have my kind of person as Tenant. By the way are you a landlord over there too, abi na only this side your power dey lipsrsealed
gabbytabby:

No worry about my tenancy. as far as I can afford to pay ppl have to rent their house. Am sure you would be more than glad to have my kind of person as Tenant. By the way are you a landlord over there too, abi na only this side your power dey. by the way madam landlord na face me I face you,you dey rent? It sure sounds like it. Word of advice build a good house, give a good agency like Jide Taiwo and Co. to manage for you. they would get you good tenants like myself make we hear word for this nairaland. Did I forget to tell you my place would soon be ready. I go soon be landlord like you cheesy lipsrsealed
gabbytabby:

No worry about my tenancy. as far as I can afford to pay ppl have to rent their house. Am sure you would be more than glad to have my kind of person as Tenant. By the way are you a landlord over there too, abi na only this side your power dey lipsrsealed
gabbytabby:

No worry about my tenancy. as far as I can afford to pay ppl have to rent their house. Am sure you would be more than glad to have my kind of person as Tenant. By the way are you a landlord over there too, abi na only this side your power dey. by the way madam landlord na face me I face you,you dey rent? It sure sounds like it. Word of advice build a good house, give a good agency like Jide Taiwo and Co. to manage for you. they would get you good tenants like myself make we hear word for this nairaland. Did I forget to tell you my place would soon be ready! I go soon be landlord like you and am giving an agency to run for me so I can use my time well instead of always complaining about tenants!
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by gabbytabby: 8:47pm On Oct 27, 2013
ekoboy: lipsrsealed
No worry about my tenancy. as far as I can afford to pay ppl have to rent their house. Am sure you would be more than glad to have my kind of person as Tenant. By the way are you a landlord over there too, abi na only this side your power dey. by the way madam landlord na face me I face you,you dey rent? It sure sounds like it. Word of advice build a good house, give a good agency like Jide Taiwo and Co. to manage for you. they would get you good tenants like myself make we hear word for this nairaland. Did I forget to tell you my place would soon be ready. I go soon be landlord like you cheesy lipsrsealed
No worry about my tenancy. as far as I can afford to pay ppl have to rent their house. Am sure you would be more than glad to have my kind of person as Tenant. By the way are you a landlord over there too, abi na only this side your power dey. by the way madam landlord na face me I face you,you dey rent? It sure sounds like it. Word of advice build a good house, give a good agency like Jide Taiwo and Co. to manage for you. they would get you good tenants like myself make we hear word for this nairaland. Did I forget to tell you my place would soon be ready! I go soon be landlord like you and am giving an agency to run for me so I can use my time well instead of always complaining about tenants!

Make your house ready make people sleep. Then we go dey read about the landlord from hell whey dey give people headache. You dey pay 1m rent who sai grin grin grin
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by Chartey(m): 3:50pm On Oct 28, 2013
ekoboy:
Ekoboy, the thing is this. The other tenant is entitled to his sleep without disturbance just like you. So if you want extra comfort such as sleeping with a fan on, you look for a solution that won't hurt another person. So u can get an inverter instead of a generator which is noiseless. Nobody will complain about noise and you will enjoy your sleep. Your comfort shouldn't be at another person's discomfort.
You asked whether the tenant could complain about the generator in the next house. Well, he/she can politely if it's really a big problem. But more importantly, i want you to know that you shouldn't justify a bad thing you do because other people are doing it. Because the generator in the next house is on doesn't mean you should leave yours on too. Even when i get a family in my own house, i don't think I'll leave my generator on that late after experiencing firsthand it's effect on other people.
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by ekoboy: 10:13am On Oct 29, 2013
Chartey:
Ekoboy, the thing is this. The other tenant is entitled to his sleep without disturbance just like you. So if you want extra comfort such as sleeping with a fan on, you look for a solution that won't hurt another person. So u can get an inverter instead of a generator which is noiseless. Nobody will complain about noise and you will enjoy your sleep. Your comfort shouldn't be at another person's discomfort.
You asked whether the tenant could complain about the generator in the next house. Well, he/she can politely if it's really a big problem. But more importantly, i want you to know that you shouldn't justify a bad thing you do because other people are doing it. Because the generator in the next house is on doesn't mean you should leave yours on too. Even when i get a family in my own house, i don't think I'll leave my generator on that late after experiencing firsthand it's effect on other people.
Don't confuse my argument. Am not saying you should care less about how your activities affects others. All I said is that the tenant is well within his rights to use his generator all night. UNLESS the condition of rental says otherwise. I was only complaining about some face me I face you landlords here who use their position to oppress tenants by bringing up all kinds of conditions in the middle of the tenancy simply because the believe the tenant has no choice and therefore their slaves. Thats where my problem lies. I mentioned earlier that the occupants can work out where the generators should be kept to cause less discomfort. Like you suggested having inverter makes sense. I for one has an inverter and my generator doesn't stay on pass 11pm when I sleep. Bt I would not hold it against anyone who runs his generator all night. Afterall not everyone believes there is sense in investing in inverter and I would not suggest the person sleeps in heat because I DON'T.
We complain about how our leaders are oppressing us bt how do we oppress those we feel are weaker than us. Why would someone collect money from a tenant and deny the tenant some comforts that he thought he had paid for. I have said it landlords should stay alone in their compounds. Landlord tenant arrangement is a business arrangement that demands mutual respect. You as a landlord is not doing the society(tenant)any favours. what would be the value of the house if after building nobody comes to rent it.

1 Like

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by gabbytabby: 2:44pm On Oct 29, 2013
ekoboy:
Don't confuse my argument. Am not saying you should care less about how your activities affects others. All I said is that the tenant is well within his rights to use his generator all night. UNLESS the condition of rental says otherwise. I was only complaining about some face me I face you landlords here who use their position to oppress tenants by bringing up all kinds of conditions in the middle of the tenancy simply because the believe the tenant has no choice and therefore their slaves. Thats where my problem lies. I mentioned earlier that the occupants can work out where the generators should be kept to cause less discomfort. Like you suggested having inverter makes sense. I for one has an inverter and my generator doesn't stay on pass 11pm when I sleep. Bt I would not hold it against anyone who runs his generator all night. Afterall not everyone believes there is sense in investing in inverter and I would not suggest the person sleeps in heat because I DON'T.
We complain about how our leaders are oppressing us bt how do we oppress those we feel are weaker than us. Why would someone collect money from a tenant and deny the tenant some comforts that he thought he had paid for. I have said it landlords should stay alone in their compounds. Landlord tenant arrangement is a business arrangement that demands mutual respect. You as a landlord is not doing the society(tenant)any favours. what would be the value of the house if after building nobody comes to rent it.

The people perish for lack of knowledge. Most tenancies meant for normal human beings the world over would almost always include a clause similar to this

"Not to do or permit to be done anything which may be or
become a nuisance, annoyance or inconvenience to the
LANDLADY or the occupiers of any of the adjoining or
neighbouring houses/flats or the neighbourhood in general".

and some animals/slaves will go ahead and become a nuisance and cause annoyance anyway.
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by Chartey(m): 3:42pm On Oct 29, 2013
gabbytabby:

The people perish for lack of knowledge. Most tenancies meant for normal human beings the world over would almost always include a clause similar to this

"Not to do or permit to be done anything which may be or
become a nuisance, annoyance or inconvenience to the
LANDLADY or the occupiers of any of the adjoining or
neighbouring houses/flats or the neighbourhood in general".

and some animals/slaves will go ahead and become a nuisance and cause annoyance anyway.
You answered better than i probably would have.
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by Nobody: 8:20pm On Oct 30, 2013
Chartey, Gabbytabby, Ekoboy look at how d trio of u turned dis thread to anoda thing. *Unfollows thread*
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by Chartey(m): 11:12pm On Oct 30, 2013
click2cbn: Chartey, Gabbytabby, Ekoboy look at how d trio of u turned dis thread to anoda thing. *Unfollows thread*
Sorry jare
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by gabbytabby: 1:30pm On Nov 02, 2013
Its healthy to have a balanced discussion from both sides of the fence. At times people lack comprehension of what mutual respect means.

click2cbn: Chartey, Gabbytabby, Ekoboy look at how d trio of u turned dis thread to anoda thing. *Unfollows thread*
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by josite: 11:41am On Nov 03, 2013
to be honest im right now living in a premises where the landlord pretends to be nice and I moved in with this hope that he is my brother .

MY ADVICE IS

1.FRUSTRATE THE signing of any agreement after you ve paid your agreed rents/fess so you live your own life freely
2.dont need the house for more than a year
3.insist on meeting those you will be sharing the compound with before payment. seek Family members opinion if you can
4. reject any house where the landlord lives within the premises especially if you value your privacy..
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by gabbytabby: 10:57pm On Nov 07, 2013
josite: to be honest im right now living in a premises where the landlord pretends to be nice and I moved in with this hope that he is my brother .

MY ADVICE IS

1.FRUSTRATE THE signing of any agreement after you ve paid your agreed rents/fess so you live your own life freely
2.dont need the house for more than a year
3.insist on meeting those you will be sharing the compound with before payment. seek Family members opinion if you can
4. reject any house where the landlord lives within the premises especially if you value your privacy..

Chances are you dont sign you dont get the key. If the person already has your money then you dont want story. Its better not to pay and just move on if you are uncomfortable.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Share Your Omo-onile (Landowner's Children) Experience. / ASOKORO ROCKVILLA ESTATE GUZAPE, ABUJA. DON'T MISS IT! / Photos: Mansard Building In VI Lagos On Fire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.