Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,421 members, 7,815,953 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:01 PM

Bitter Experience Living With Landlords - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Bitter Experience Living With Landlords (20268 Views)

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<THREAD FOR LANDLORDS AND LANDLORDS TO BE ONLY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> / Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords / Do Tenants Bargain With Landlords To Sell His Rented Flat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by agitator: 3:33pm On Oct 25, 2013
gabbytabby: When you have a landlord/tenant issue I would always advocate a self reflection.

Ask yourself if your expectations are reasonable, are you paying your rent, are you honouring obligations you have agreed to

In your write up

You need to consider

1) Why is the landlord disapproval of your getting a DSTV, does your agreement say you need to let your landlord know, have you disrespected this agreement and your landlord by this disregard. Has the Landlord made provisions for this and in the request that she be informed provide her with an oportunity to show you where this is. Does she have safety concerns and in ensuring that proper wire and equipment is being used such that you dont endanger the lives of other people in the building. Are you encroaching on the space of another tenant in the position that you have decided to install it

2) Are you saying that the one tank is insufficient for the 3 tenants or saying that the landlord should get your permission to buy a tank for herself or your permission to run a business selling water or not charge you for water if you come to her business to buy it? . What was the arrangement when you rented; was water inclusive; was your rent inclusive of the PHCN or generator cost of running the water suppy; were you informed of the 2 times a week pumping of water before you took possession? I would add that it would be unreasonable for the landlord to refuse access to the water pump if you have volunteered to use your generator to pump it also, from my experience, I have yet to meet with a tenant who volunteer this. The other part of the question is who pays for the PHCN bill with regards to the water; is it central or the Landlord pays hence the limit and are you able to negotiate for more.

3) Are you expecting free this free that because you are renting. If you lived in a house that the landlord is not present, would the other tenants have a difficulty with getting you to co-operate and contribute to the smooth running of the house; would this mean that you do not have to honour the terms in your agreement?

4) Are you paying your rent when due or the landlord is not motivated to let somethings go because of this. As an adult are we acting like one, if you need something that will make life settled for you why are you not getting it yourself and expecting someone else to make things just perfect for you at their expense.

5) If you dont enjoy being in a house with a resident landlord then dont. Its a free country.

6) Above all ask a lot of questions before you take/grant a tenancy we all(Tenant and Landlord) deserve a home we can feel at rest in.

Rubb!sh post from a shylock landlord.
OP stated he just moved and you asking if he's paying his rent when due. angry angry angry

don't want to waste my time elaborating on the other nonsense posted. angry angry angry angry

6 Likes

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by batuns247yahoo(m): 3:40pm On Oct 25, 2013
Am always fortunate with landlord and landladies it's all about luck and most expecially your own attitude toward your landlord and landladies,
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by stunning4real: 3:45pm On Oct 25, 2013
Some landlord/landlady can be anoying. I remembered where we were staying b4 my parent moved 2 their building, d landlady won't allow visitor 2 visit us, she won't pump water 4 us, if u greet her she wil just answer as if u are begging her 4 something. I guess she was frustrated then because her 3 daughters left their husband's house and was living with her. Another encounter with difficult landlord was when I was in school, d landlord will not allow ur friend to pass d night in ur room, infact u must introduce ur boyfriend 2 him, he only allows him 2 sleep in ur room, if u brokeup with him u must not introduce another person 2 him. Whether d guy brakeup with u or u brakeup with him he doesn't wnt 2 knw. So due 2 my experience wit hostile landlord nd landlady I just told myself whenever am ready 2 settle down no landlady or landlord wil share same apartment with me. Thank god my hubby share same blv wit me.
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by ekoboy: 3:56pm On Oct 25, 2013
I always advice people that if you want to live like a landlord then please don't live with a tenant. The moment you have a tenant you become a co tenant and you cannot retain the privileges of a land lord. You cannot eat your cake and have it. Since many of.our landlords don't understand this, peeps just avoid houses that the landlord even lives close to ensure long life.

1 Like

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by kefmawin: 4:09pm On Oct 25, 2013
There is a 2 Bed Room Flat For Rent in Abuja

The house is in a block of Flat in Garki Area 3. Abuja

The two rooms and two Toilets and Bathrooms have tiles

Stable water and Electricity supply

It is first come first serve.

Cost: N1,100,000 Per annum

Call 08035966124

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by ekoboy: 4:10pm On Oct 25, 2013
raqueal:

I am not judging you but this scene plays out in my grandfathers house every time. Tenants mounting dstv dishes too close to the roof top, switching of generators around 1. am or leaving it all night. These are avoidable situations but everyone is so selfish. Some deliberately create nuisance do and you just can't empathize with them in situations like this
its their right! They paid for it. there is nothing selfish about wanting to have light all night if you can afford. still in the compound alone if you don't want disturbance. You need to understand that the tenant is a part owner once he pays his rent.
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by ifebosco: 4:12pm On Oct 25, 2013
gluv01: No experience coz I'm always the Landlord's daughter who shakes her small booty in front of tenants grin
bad girl

1 Like

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by bollyfolly: 4:36pm On Oct 25, 2013
My Landlord lives in the same compound with me and i have never for a day have a probs with him.

I am an awaiting landlady and i pray no tenants will give me probs..... grin
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by 4lashy(m): 4:40pm On Oct 25, 2013
I just got a quit notice from my said troublesome landlord, and I am not bothered a bit.
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by smartg(m): 4:42pm On Oct 25, 2013
gabbytabby: You could get a small tank for yourself and that way you do not run out of water. Where there are solutions make use of them.
did you read the post at all?. Getting a small tank is not the main problem but where to place it. Just pray that you will not have such Landlady in your house. Or do you think that kind landlady will allow you bring in any personal tank into her compound?.
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by scobaba: 4:43pm On Oct 25, 2013
My last apartment in warri.
Retired worker. Probably built the house with retirement benefit. Loves the compound more than his 2 wives and 12 children smiley.

Always complained about my life style as in late nyt things, numerous chicks and bad guys around me.

Wanted me to follow d same rules he gave his household but no naaa, I paid something called rent.

We were neva friends for the 3yrs I stayed there. He regretted giving me the house......I double regretted taking it. angry

But sha...he calls me once in a while...we r pals now. grin

4 Likes

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by raqueal(f): 4:44pm On Oct 25, 2013
ekoboy:
its their right! They paid for it. there is nothing selfish about wanting to have light all night if you can afford. still in the compound alone if you don't want disturbance. You need to understand that the tenant is a part owner once he pays his rent.

No, you need to understand that a tenant is never a owner. At all times, a tenant remains an occupier. Period! read your laws.

Now, you don't constitute nuisance because you can afford it. Tenants pay for noise and pollution? This is the first of it that i have heard. What about the other occupiers welfare? If you know that you want to leave your gen all night and constitute nuisance, then maybe you should consider building your own house too!

1 Like

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by ceeceeco: 4:45pm On Oct 25, 2013
I've neva been a tenant all my life. I grew up in my father's house & now i'm a landlord of my own...Oluwa's involved.
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by realsuigeneris: 4:52pm On Oct 25, 2013
I'v heard a lot about Lagos Landlords . esp. the yoruba once. na wa ooo!! One day tenant will become Landlord too.
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by ayobase(m): 4:55pm On Oct 25, 2013
Nice and funny stories so far.
Just to let you know that no matter how nice a landlord/landlady is, one will always be having this certain sense of restriction. Though, u might be free to do as you like, but subconsciously, you tend to be restricted.

Why? There is a Lord over you, u can't wishingly do as u like!

I remember the case of Baba Bolanle back in the days, "extend wi pe ori e ti daru, I will give you 24 lashes". Saying that with his middle finger strongly poking the side of his head!

Still don't know what "extend" is doing there!
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by ugo4u: 4:56pm On Oct 25, 2013
Mr poster ur own better sef cos my landlord own b say anybody wen visit u.... U go pay him per nite or else e no go bath or shit. 1 month b4 ur rent xpire e go de threathen brimestone n fire xcept u bribe am with ogogoro or monkey tail...I don tire 4 d man sef even as ASUU wan call off strike sef I de fear cos gim don de threathen 2 carry me go babalawo place if I no pay my january rent...nairalanders can u imagine that. shaaa Its ur boy ugo commenting via nokia touch
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by rosebase(f): 5:04pm On Oct 25, 2013
Sike: Rumour has it that it's always a Problem when Landlord and tenants live together. So Deal with it.
Not in al cases
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by MsSpaqs(f): 5:07pm On Oct 25, 2013
I can relate 2 most of this stories,D funniest thing is that most of this Landlords were once tenants.You know what u faced as a tenant why not make life easier 4 ur own tenant wen u become a landlord.

For those saying a tenant shld nt use Gen overnyt are the ones selfish.I come hme 4rm work tired n i want 2 sleep with d fan on and u tell me nt 2 put on Gen.Who sai?Will you tell Your neighbours in d next compound 2 put off their gen because they are 'disturbing ' u.

1 Like

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by philme16: 5:21pm On Oct 25, 2013
My own experience was during my Nysc,my landlord had that nice side of him and other side. The guy always tackled me because I was good at confronting him whenever he wants to take undue advantage over me and my neighbors,before I knew was sup, he branded me a cult guy,because I didn't switch off my gen. This was during the day not even at night. I could not but laugh on his high frequency of foolishness. I showed him shege before I signed out.
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by Layolaw(f): 5:26pm On Oct 25, 2013
my 1st experience after marriage was serious ooo, my husb can't do without generator everyday, na so the landlord they jealous, then after the naming ceremony of our 1st baby,haa come see wahala... he even said we spent too much money on naming, four days later he increasef the rent by 100% not knowing that we are preparing to move to our own house, when my husb told him he felt bad.. anyway, l've promised nt to be a bad landlady and God 've been helping me at least for 5 years now l have tenants and no complain

4 Likes

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by nakwe(m): 5:45pm On Oct 25, 2013
M
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by ekoboy: 5:49pm On Oct 25, 2013
raqueal:

No, you need to understand that a tenant is never a owner. At all times, a tenant remains an occupier. Period! read your laws.

Now, you don't constitute nuisance because you can afford it. Tenants pay for noise and pollution? This is the first of it that i have heard. What about the other occupiers welfare? If you know that you want to leave your gen all night and constitute nuisance, then maybe you should consider building your own house too!
hope you would be able to build a house in every town that you leave in. that someone rents your accommodation doesn't make him an invalid. I have said it that if you want to live like a landlord then don't rent where you reside. if you are prepared to collect money from someone for your accommodation then also understand he has paid for some rights and privileges including running his generator all night. Now if you wouldn't do that make it clear to him before he PAYS. don't collect the poor tenants money, enjoy it and then remember that his generator disturbs you in the night. Its amazing how ppl find it difficult treating ppl the way they would want to be treated. I find it inconceivable that I would pay about 1m per annum for a flat and the landlord will tell me to sleep without light. On top my own money o. Not that am staying free o. Get it that you are a landlord doesn't make you richer or better than your tenant. a tenant is not obligated to worship the landlord. its simply a business arrangement. Unless you worship the recharge card seller for providing card for you to buy. Moreover ppl still build houses rent it out and use the money to rent somewhere else for themselves.

3 Likes

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by greggng: 6:42pm On Oct 25, 2013
Infact I am a landlord but when robbers at okooba couldn't allow me rest I decided to rent it out to look for a safer place.I got a place at gowon and my landlord leg was amputated and he was quite nice to us innitially . I mean me and my girl friend. After a month in that apartment ! I decided to go for nysc and was posted to oyo ..Two months later my girl friend called me to inform me thhat the landlord says I gosip him around and he wants to quit me. I confronted my girl friend cos I am far away in oyo how could I have gosiped someone in lagos.She did confess to me that my landlord wanted to rape her and she had to hit the man with her right hand and since then he hasn't been happy with her. I asked her why it took her two months to let me know and she said cos his son begged her not to tell me cos I might board a car coming to lagos in anger and something bad might happen. I wasn't satisfy with this..A month after she called me that she was pregnant . She has given birth but I am waiting for the baby to mature a little before dna will be done. In a nutshell don't leave near ur landlord or if possible don't be close to him.
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by macdelene(m): 6:51pm On Oct 25, 2013
My dear it depends. I have stay wit a land lord that was nt around and even when he was he and his family never disturbs when there is no light for weeks that when he comes to u for fuel contribution but my dear when I relocated I met a demon as a landlady. My God evry minute she is requesting for money for evrylittle tin. Once there is no light in d morning she is already demanding 10lit of fuel . We contributed money to dig bore hole nt up to a month d tank started licking becos she runs it evry day ti sell water and she wants u to pay for d leakage. We contribute money for nepa bill she does nt pay when nepa cuts d light. She wil go and pay for reconnectn so that we d tenants will nt kwn. I entered d house wit an out standing bil of N45k by d time I was leavin d bill was over N200k becs she was nt payin. She fighrs wit evrybody,shouts like hell. When she wants to cook she comes to d veranda and starts to shout bring ssalt, brind pepper. D place was hell. Can u imagine if u go to d market was shoppin u hide d things u buy and check if she is at home before u snick in becos if she see u my dear some tin will automatically get spoil that will need ur moni. Thank God I left. My dear I advice just look for a place with landlord or landlady period
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by Nobody: 7:05pm On Oct 25, 2013
let me just add my own experience with Nigerian landlords, aka yoruba landlords; i once resided in a town called Ilesa in osun state, I had dis landlord who was a real terror to me, my co-tenant and the neighbours; Can you imagine that the landlord as at then who is a chronic womaniser was fond of going to my apartment when he was sure I had gone to work to toast and woo my girlfriends who come visiting;when he gets to my apartment after he was sure i had gone to work in the morning and he was sure that there is a woman in my house, he will then claim that he wants to be sure that everything in my house was working and then from there start toasting my girl' one of my girl eventually told me that my landlord once asked her what she was doing with a useless Ibo boy like me, and she gave him the tongue lashing of his life. Infact, the man get eye glass wey him dey use deceive people; when he is talking to a woman with that eye glass, he would direct the eye glass towards the woman's face, while his eyes will be focused on the woman's breasst.

would i also mention so many times when i had to park my car outside, because my landlord deliberately parks his car close to the gate to prevent me from entering;

I remember the day, he specifically invited NEPA to disconnect me because I refuse to go and apply for a post paid meter, which was meant to be his responsibility, as i parked in there without meeting any meter, infact when i went to NEPA to beg them for my wire, they told me it was my landlord who asked them to disconnect me and he also collected and seized my wire. Honestly, after my experience, I vowed never to rent a house from yoruba landlords and landladies except from Biafrans.

Proudly Biafran tongue

2 Likes

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by tucee31: 7:19pm On Oct 25, 2013
gabbytabby: When you have a landlord/tenant issue I would always advocate a self reflection.

Ask yourself if your expectations are reasonable, are you paying your rent, are you honouring obligations you have agreed to

In your write up

You need to consider

1) Why is the landlord disapproval of your getting a DSTV, does your agreement say you need to let your landlord know, have you disrespected this agreement and your landlord by this disregard. Has the Landlord made provisions for this and in the request that she be informed provide her with an oportunity to show you where this is. Does she have safety concerns and in ensuring that proper wire and equipment is being used such that you dont endanger the lives of other people in the building. Are you encroaching on the space of another tenant in the position that you have decided to install it

2) Are you saying that the one tank is insufficient for the 3 tenants or saying that the landlord should get your permission to buy a tank for herself or your permission to run a business selling water or not charge you for water if you come to her business to buy it? . What was the arrangement when you rented; was water inclusive; was your rent inclusive of the PHCN or generator cost of running the water suppy; were you informed of the 2 times a week pumping of water before you took possession? I would add that it would be unreasonable for the landlord to refuse access to the water pump if you have volunteered to use your generator to pump it also, from my experience, I have yet to meet with a tenant who volunteer this. The other part of the question is who pays for the PHCN bill with regards to the water; is it central or the Landlord pays hence the limit and are you able to negotiate for more.

3) Are you expecting free this free that because you are renting. If you lived in a house that the landlord is not present, would the other tenants have a difficulty with getting you to co-operate and contribute to the smooth running of the house; would this mean that you do not have to honour the terms in your agreement?

4) Are you paying your rent when due or the landlord is not motivated to let somethings go because of this. As an adult are we acting like one, if you need something that will make life settled for you why are you not getting it yourself and expecting someone else to make things just perfect for you at their expense.

5) If you dont enjoy being in a house with a resident landlord then dont. Its a free country.

6) Above all ask a lot of questions before you take/grant a tenancy we all(Tenant and Landlord) deserve a home we can feel at rest in.

Who is this LEARNER?
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by funmeme(f): 7:35pm On Oct 25, 2013
Wat an interesting topic.

My landlord is worse of all, he charged all tenant for water bill and dirt {LAWMA}monthly for ova2 years but never paid dem despite charging us more than the bills they bring cos he never allows anyone to see the bills. If u question him u re in trouble cos the next tin is eviction notice..

When water corporation threathened to cut us off, we had to quickly contribute another money again. Same thing to LAWMA

He doesn't allow me park my car inside the compound for whatever reasons and my mom keeps telling me to avoid havin issues with him

He also sells water, but wen there is no water in the compound we all 'must' buy from him, even though neighbour from the 3rd compound gives us for free. If we go there its trouble.
Bumps into ur house without knocking den start shouting and ask silly questions

Many other things that he keeps doing abnomally

3tenants have been forcefully evicted at different times just because they challenged him.

Its not adviceable to live with the landlord at all....
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by litetias(m): 7:36pm On Oct 25, 2013
yemmight: Have you ever lived in any rented apartment before? When next you seek for an accommodation or a replacement of where you currently occupying, consider a house without Landlord.
I recently secured a-3 bedroom apartment hoping to enjoy a brand new life after living in a mini-flat for years but reverse is the case.
I have a sitting Landlady that monitors every movement (in & out) the premises. Last Saturday, she stopped my technician from installing DSTV. I asked why? Why don’t you tell me before installing DSTV? I was devocalised.

My previous accommodation, no tenant is allowed to use generator and Air-conditioner meanwhile Landlord is on generator.
In my present house, we have got two water tanks, one for three tenants and second meant for building owner and yet we lack constant supply of water. Landlady insisted that she can only pump water for the tenants two times a week. Some of us offered to use our generators to pump but she will always deny us access to the machine. However, she uses her tank to sell water for people around and to cater for the cat fish she’s managing within the compound.

For days, we have stayed in our different flats without access to water meanwhile they have access to water and they sell to outsiders. I was shocked when my wife came back one day telling that the woman demanded for money before she could fetch water outside the gate. I make vow that I will never pay for water in any house I pay rent.

Peeps when seeking for accommodation, ask questions o. Don’t always consider the beauty of the apartment. They are most times deceitful. May God Almighty give us all house of our own.
My own experience as a student is similar to yours. The landlord used to lock the tap with padlock and only opens it in the morning for some minutes while standing guard and if you were not aware you've missed your chance. Meanwhile we the tenants pay more to buy recharge card for the meter even though his wife runs a restaurant in the compound with two deep freezers she brings only 500, the landlord brings only 500 for his flat and we the tenants bring 500 even though we don't have the appliances he has in our one rooms.
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by Nicepoker(m): 8:16pm On Oct 25, 2013
gluv01: No experience coz I'm always the Landlord's daughter who shakes her small booty in front of tenants grin
u wil end up geting maried to ur dad as wel. U be mushroom?

1 Like

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by Nobody: 8:39pm On Oct 25, 2013
Where we live, the tenants are the ones that maltreat the landlady.
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by Nobody: 8:40pm On Oct 25, 2013
some landlords are simply branded -hell spawned-........reminds me of those German warders at the concentration camp at Sobibor

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Share Your Omo-onile (Landowner's Children) Experience. / ASOKORO ROCKVILLA ESTATE GUZAPE, ABUJA. DON'T MISS IT! / Photos: Mansard Building In VI Lagos On Fire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.