Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,317 members, 7,815,593 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:01 PM

Bitter Experience Living With Landlords - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Bitter Experience Living With Landlords (20267 Views)

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<THREAD FOR LANDLORDS AND LANDLORDS TO BE ONLY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> / Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords / Do Tenants Bargain With Landlords To Sell His Rented Flat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by drdams: 8:42pm On Oct 25, 2013
Luk @ dem, dem no1 live with Landlord.. Them want free hand so dem go fit spoil everything beyond their caution fees..

Most tenant wnt sacrifice their gen to pump ( We sabi treat dem Bleep up) and wen u use urs, they empty it quickly without any 'vote of thanks'
for d DSTV, I wudnt allow u nailing stuffs on my roof, I advise u to get a long pole..

Generally, majority of d probs coms from tenants' pride to obey common ruless..

I av a tenant who turn on d gen for hours and continue with Long hours prayer session in loud voice.. Tenant av deir own issues too jare...
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by Nobody: 8:44pm On Oct 25, 2013
greggng: Infact I am a landlord but when robbers at okooba couldn't allow me rest I decided to rent it out to look for a safer place.I got a place at gowon and my landlord leg was amputated and he was quite nice to us innitially . I mean me and my girl friend. After a month in that apartment ! I decided to go for nysc and was posted to oyo ..Two months later my girl friend called me to inform me thhat the landlord says I gosip him around and he wants to quit me. I confronted my girl friend cos I am far away in oyo how could I have gosiped someone in lagos.She did confess to me that my landlord wanted to rape her and she had to hit the man with her right hand and since then he hasn't been happy with her. I asked her why it took her two months to let me know and she said cos his son begged her not to tell me cos I might board a car coming to lagos in anger and something bad might happen. I wasn't satisfy with this..A month after she called me that she was pregnant . She has given birth but I am waiting for the baby to mature a little before dna will be done. In a nutshell don't leave near ur landlord or if possible don't be close to him.

O kwa unu afugo

1 Like

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by gabbytabby: 8:48pm On Oct 25, 2013
agitator:

Rubb!sh post from a shylock landlord.
OP stated he just moved and you asking if he's paying his rent when due. angry angry angry

don't want to waste my time elaborating on the other nonsense posted. angry angry angry angry

Agitator is agitated.
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by ifebosco: 8:49pm On Oct 25, 2013
now i understand why people fight to live in my house in lagos.
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by Scofieldella(f): 9:08pm On Oct 25, 2013
greggng: Infact I am a landlord but when robbers at okooba couldn't allow me rest I decided to rent it out to look for a safer place.I got a place at gowon and my landlord leg was amputated and he was quite nice to us innitially . I mean me and my girl friend. After a month in that apartment ! I decided to go for nysc and was posted to oyo ..Two months later my girl friend called me to inform me thhat the landlord says I gosip him around and he wants to quit me. I confronted my girl friend cos I am far away in oyo how could I have gosiped someone in lagos.She did confess to me that my landlord wanted to rape her and she had to hit the man with her right hand and since then he hasn't been happy with her. I asked her why it took her two months to let me know and she said cos his son begged her not to tell me cos I might board a car coming to lagos in anger and something bad might happen. I wasn't satisfy with this..A month after she called me that she was pregnant . She has given birth but I am waiting for the baby to mature a little before dna will be done. In a nutshell don't leave near ur landlord or if possible don't be close to him.

Chei! Which school did you graduate from?
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by Nobody: 9:09pm On Oct 25, 2013
my first landlord accused me of having an affair with his wife then grown up daughter. Packed out. Now my landlady s accusing me of saying evil things against her first daughter. I tire o. My papa no dey give him tenants this kin wahala o.
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by Justeenaleo(f): 9:29pm On Oct 25, 2013
komek: Some of them are very good, like my landlord.

Buh my problem is that he will nver call if their is an issue in the compound rather he will be flashing me and he wud later claim he was phoning me. Very funny atimes.

This is a man that owns over 20 houses in Lagos and Ibadan,
Hahahahahaha dis one got me rolling
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by cheche98(f): 11:02pm On Oct 25, 2013
Some tenants can be naughty . One of my mom's tenants is troublesome. My mom made her the caretaker. It got to the extent that she refused to pay coz my mom loved her. she's a widow and has kids (all grown).my mom took care of her. Food, phones name it. She challenges my mom and causes trouble . Lesson: it is easier to pity a tenant and be nice especially when they lose their jobs or widowed but the pay backs are something else. My mom's golden rule; pay ya rent and keep your flat neat. And from experience, newly married couple , old people and civil servant are the best tenant one can have +a good lawyer .They are just good.

2 Likes

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by calculusx(m): 11:07pm On Oct 25, 2013
I believe all depends on every individual. My Mum is a Landlady and till now now every tenant moving out from our house always bring someone from his hometown to replace him because of the LOVE they enjoy but where i am living for some years now, i do have the same issue with water and bill. Imagine Landlady sharing bills for every tenant and not sharing for herself grin Imagine your Landlady having switch to pump water right next to her bed, i mean in her bedroom. I could remember a weekend she forgot to off the switch before she went out for owambe, it wasnt funny that day grin all depends on every Landlord and Landlady though. Life is just 6 feet down
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by ugochukwu360(m): 11:27pm On Oct 25, 2013
Some posts here rili got me lol, well as for me i currently live in both worlds nd i can tel u some landlords can be as gentle as a dove nd also as ferocious as a lion likewise tenants.
Well let me start with myself as a landlords son. I have seen good, bad nd terrible tenants, i av lived with tenants dat are soo peaceful dat u evn find it difficult to ask for rent frm dem, i evn feel bad wen my mum or dad reprimands dem, nd it is dis set of tenants dat easily become landlords, i av counted abt four of dem dat wia outstandingly gud nd in less dan three yrs of living in our house dey acquired landed properties nd built deir own houses but d bad ones hmmmm dey neva pay deir rent nd weneva dey pay its not complete, their is dis one who always travels to d village for up to three months weneva his rent expires, one evn opened a mini baby factory inside one of our flats wia he brings in vry young girls of around 15-18yrs of age nd dey stay deir until afta delivery nd weneva u ask afta d baby nd d mother he always tell one cock nd bull story is eithher d moda ormd baby died or no be born she go to born na miscarriage she get, wat my dad did was to liase with our traditional ruler who in turn mobilised youths nd he was thrown out of d town.
Well as for my life as a tenant, well i think am being treated d way my family treats our tenants, i hv no problem wit dem, dey are such a nice family evryone of dem infact dey are faultless. Dey protect me, dey ask abt my welfare, i eat wit dem nd vice versa, infact its as if we are from one parents.
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by mkoabiola: 11:38pm On Oct 25, 2013
Mr landlord/landlady travel and see.
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by b3llo(m): 11:50pm On Oct 25, 2013
Hahaha... Am an undergradute, my landlord has 4 matured daughters. Its not easy for my co tenants who want to follow d babes. Because of my neighbour our landlady publicly dealt with her house maid. Things are happening sha... But am focused n such things don't have gravity on me. My dad, treat his tenants with mercy and patience. Imagine a tenant trying to complete his rent for 2 years without facing any fierce action from my dad; I've learnt one thing, Life na jeje!
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by Ama28(f): 12:21am On Oct 26, 2013
My landlady warned me never to wear shorts in her compound.
She insisted that the day she notices that her hubby (my landlord) has ever seen me on shorts, she will refund me.
I pity her and her insecurity though
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by steffans(m): 1:19am On Oct 26, 2013
Ama28: My landlady warned me never to wear shorts in her compound.
She insisted that the day she notices that her hubby (my landlord) has ever seen me on shorts, she will refund me.
I pity her and her insecurity though

Am sure u gat some Wicked hips dat dnt lie...lol
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by Nobody: 2:50am On Oct 26, 2013
kefmawin: There is a 2 Bed Room Flat For Rent in Abuja

The house is in a block of Flat in Garki Area 3. Abuja

The two rooms and two Toilets and Bathrooms have tiles

Stable water and Electricity supply

It is first come first serve.

Cost: N1,100,000 Per annum

Call 08035966124

Look at the ratchet apartment building for rent that you are charging 1.1 million naira for cry

No be only 1 million sef, make dem cut one hand and one leg give you sef. Mtschewww angry

1 Like

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by Nobody: 5:51am On Oct 26, 2013
What about horrible tenants who refuse to pay their rents. This is a house where we carry out repairs ourself o and we don't ask them for any kobo. well their time is running out.
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by igbanbajo(m): 6:58am On Oct 26, 2013
Not all landlords are wicked. Many are nice. That was my experience as a tenant in three houses in Lagos before God made me a landlord.
Now that I'm one, I have been nice to my own tenants. However, one of them has taken my nicety for foolishness. So I put him in his place.
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by komek(m): 7:08am On Oct 26, 2013
steffans:

Is dis how Bad ur English is or u actually typed with Yoruba pronuaciations

Its Well Sir!!!
Did u go through ur own English and edit it at all? Olodo. Bus conductor.
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by Nobody: 7:23am On Oct 26, 2013
My Landlord is simply the best and if one is not careful,u won't feel like leaving the house.The cleaning and maintenance of the house,he pays d cleaners,when something happens to the PHCN pole,he pays,no problem whatsoever and previous tenants move from there to their own private houses.He's rly Godsent and u rarely see him! I jst bless God for his kind heart.Free borehole water too!
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by PDF: 7:52am On Oct 26, 2013
Had ds domineering landlady early last year. Wants to be interested in every detail of ur life. She hardly wants anyone visiting u. She had irritating rules to d point dat her generator man has to be d one to fix d tenants' generator if the need arise... Had to leave d house for her majesty at d expiration of my rent... Rubbish!!
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by passionate88: 8:24am On Oct 26, 2013
ceeceeco: I've neva been a tenant all my life. I grew up in my father's house & now i'm a landlord of my own...Oluwa's involved.
my guy, na only ppl wey carry (f) u follow o. U na badt guy.
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by oildude(m): 9:31am On Oct 26, 2013
steffans: ,Bt I tot u wa leaving in d age of fast finger computer,so i fink u shuld undstnd my write up,maybe u wa still leavin in d old age of writing on d Blackboard.So wake up guy.Undstndn lo mata.Gbam!!!

Is dis how Bad ur English is or u actually typed with Yoruba pronuaciations

Its Well Sir!!!
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by otokx(m): 9:34am On Oct 26, 2013
Nice thread, not all landlords are bad.

1 Like

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by gabbytabby: 12:07pm On Oct 26, 2013
I am encouraged by the likes as it shows that at times the right thing is to cause a personal reflection. There are good and bad landlords and there are also good and bad tenants. In all try to find solutions to issues and manage your expectations and we are likely to have more good than bad.
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by justyn4real(m): 9:11pm On Oct 26, 2013
gluv01: No experience coz I'm always the Landlord's daughter who shakes her small booty in front of tenants grin

Pls give me ur fone number.
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by gabbrri(m): 10:08pm On Oct 26, 2013
yemmight: Have you ever lived in any rented apartment before? When next you seek for an accommodation or a replacement of where you currently occupying, consider a house without Landlord.
I recently secured a-3 bedroom apartment hoping to enjoy a brand new life after living in a mini-flat for years but reverse is the case.
I have a sitting Landlady that monitors every movement (in & out) the premises. Last Saturday, she stopped my technician from installing DSTV. I asked why? Why don’t you tell me before installing DSTV? I was devocalised.

My previous accommodation, no tenant is allowed to use generator and Air-conditioner meanwhile Landlord is on generator.
In my present house, we have got two water tanks, one for three tenants and second meant for building owner and yet we lack constant supply of water. Landlady insisted that she can only pump water for the tenants two times a week. Some of us offered to use our generators to pump but she will always deny us access to the machine. However, she uses her tank to sell water for people around and to cater for the cat fish she’s managing within the compound.

For days, we have stayed in our different flats without access to water meanwhile they have access to water and they sell to outsiders. I was shocked when my wife came back one day telling that the woman demanded for money before she could fetch water outside the gate. I make vow that I will never pay for water in any house I pay rent.

Peeps when seeking for accommodation, ask questions o. Don’t always consider the beauty of the apartment. They are most times deceitful. May God Almighty give us all house of our own.
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by gabbrri(m): 10:08pm On Oct 26, 2013
yemmight: Have you ever lived in any rented apartment before? When next you seek for an accommodation or a replacement of where you currently occupying, consider a house without Landlord.
I recently secured a-3 bedroom apartment hoping to enjoy a brand new life after living in a mini-flat for years but reverse is the case.
I have a sitting Landlady that monitors every movement (in & out) the premises. Last Saturday, she stopped my technician from installing DSTV. I asked why? Why don’t you tell me before installing DSTV? I was devocalised.

My previous accommodation, no tenant is allowed to use generator and Air-conditioner meanwhile Landlord is on generator.
In my present house, we have got two water tanks, one for three tenants and second meant for building owner and yet we lack constant supply of water. Landlady insisted that she can only pump water for the tenants two times a week. Some of us offered to use our generators to pump but she will always deny us access to the machine. However, she uses her tank to sell water for people around and to cater for the cat fish she’s managing within the compound.

For days, we have stayed in our different flats without access to water meanwhile they have access to water and they sell to outsiders. I was shocked when my wife came back one day telling that the woman demanded for money before she could fetch water outside the gate. I make vow that I will never pay for water in any house I pay rent.

Peeps when seeking for accommodation, ask questions o. Don’t always consider the beauty of the apartment. They are most times deceitful. May God Almighty give us all house of our own.
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by Ndipe(m): 12:15am On Oct 27, 2013
I lived with my parents back in Calabar and the landlady was almost like an angel. There was ABSOLUTELY no wahala between my parents and her. At times, the woman would cook food (she was an elderly woman) and bring to my mom (who was younger than she was) to share with us and my mom used to reciprocate her gestures. Her daughter, Eme, was one of my best friends growing up. I remember playing with my friends in our compound and the woman would come out to share sweets with all of us kids while we were playing. I mean, there was no wahala in the compound and we just had a great relationship. She died in 84 and my parents attended her funeral. We missed her.

Back on campus, I rented a room off campus. First year, the landlord threatened to evict me because he claimed my senior brother (whom I was staying with while attending college) did not tell him that I would be living there after he left. My father stepped in. Landlord's rule was that you had no overnight visitor (and I came to find out that his concern was that the toilet will overflow). Yet, I disregarded the rule and brought in folks who had no place to lay their head off. That almost backfired because he threatened me 3x to evict me that I had to go to his village with a bottle of schnapps to beg him. He forgave me. His son was very nice to me cos he was my intercessor. When I moved to the USA, I sent him something.
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by yusufsulaiman: 12:34am On Oct 27, 2013
Amazing
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by Chartey(m): 3:01am On Oct 27, 2013
Ms Spaqs: I can relate 2 most of this stories,D funniest thing is that most of this Landlords were once tenants.You know what u faced as a tenant why not make life easier 4 ur own tenant wen u become a landlord.

For those saying a tenant shld nt use Gen overnyt are the ones selfish.I come hme 4rm work tired n i want 2 sleep with d fan on and u tell me nt 2 put on Gen.Who sai?Will you tell Your neighbours in d next compound 2 put off their gen because they are 'disturbing ' u.
I understand your feeling of entitlement but it can really annoy other tenants.
I remember when i stayed with my cousin for some time as a student. I'd finish practicals around 6pm and make the 1hr journey home. I'd quickly take my bath, eat, do any leftover schoolwork, watch a little tv, then sleep because i needed to leave home before 6am the next morning.
Then when the nights got quiet, our neighbours generator would be roaring till about 2am with his tv on. I often ended up sleeping for about 3hrs and almost always woke up with a headache. There were toddlers in my cousin's house and i saw how their sleep was always disturbed. I did everything to quickly get a room in school. I always wanted to talk to the neighbour about switching his gen off around 12 like most of us did, but i didn't want him to see me as a "bad bele" person. If i was the landlord, I'd definitely have confronted him.

2 Likes

Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by Chartey(m): 3:04am On Oct 27, 2013
ekoboy:
its their right! They paid for it. there is nothing selfish about wanting to have light all night if you can afford. still in the compound alone if you don't want disturbance. You need to understand that the tenant is a part owner once he pays his rent.
True but sometimes that gen thing annoyed me as a co-tenant. I got only about 3hrs of sleep and i had very hectic days. It was an estate kinda so there was no landlord to put tenants in check.
Re: Bitter Experience Living With Landlords by bheemz(f): 6:14am On Oct 27, 2013
He's the only one that has access to switch on/off the pumping machine (he goes out 8:am n cum bak like 10:30pm........Make I stop for here

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Share Your Omo-onile (Landowner's Children) Experience. / ASOKORO ROCKVILLA ESTATE GUZAPE, ABUJA. DON'T MISS IT! / Photos: Mansard Building In VI Lagos On Fire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.