Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,994 members, 7,817,944 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:33 PM

Gunmen Kill Eight Traders In Enugu Market - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gunmen Kill Eight Traders In Enugu Market (17880 Views)

Suspected Boko Haram Militants Kill Eight, Kidnap 100 In Cameroon / Enugu Market Explosion: One Feared Dead, Sevearl Injured / Breakingnews: Islamic Boko Haram Bombs Enugu Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gunmen Kill Eight Traders In Enugu Market by Etumgbe(m): 4:33pm On Aug 22, 2013
No fewer than eight persons have been reported dead after unknown gunmen opened fire on traders at Abakpa Nike in Enugu State.

The incident happened around 5 p.m at Ogwuagor Market, popularly known as Ahia 4, in Abakpa suburb.

An eye witness told DailyPost that the hoodlums stormed the market in a commando-like style and shot traders on target.

The trader, who said he escaped death by the whiskers, lamented that his colleague died during the attack.

“I was discussing with my neighbour, a cobbler, when suddenly we heard gun shots, I quickly ran into my shop; after the gun shot had stopped, I came out and saw my friend lying lifeless in the pool of his blood.

“Apart from him, I also counted two other dead bodies within our axis, a young lady and a married woman.

“Other persons were also killed in different axis of the market”, said a market source.

Another eye witness also told DailyPost that a woman who was driving to the market was shot inside her vehicle.

The Enugu State Police, however, put the number of the dead at two, and casualty figure at five.

In a press statement made available to DailyPost by the spokesman of the command, Ebere Amaraizu, DSP, he said four suspects have been arrested in connection with the incident.

Amaraizu confirmed the gunfire but said two persons died, while five were injured.

According to him, “The arrested persons are Peter Nwankwo, Udeh Chimezie, Osita Onyia and one Chief Frank Eze.

“One Sunday Eze and Nebechi Mba reported dead have been deposited at the mortuary of the Orthopaedic Hospital Enugu while the injured namely Uwadiegwu Onyegwu, Anayo Ifeji, Ani Basil, Hycienth Ugwu and Ozioma Ezekwem are also receiving treatment in a nearby hospital.

“Investigations into the incident have commenced in full scale to ascertain the root cause and those arrested are now helping the police in their investigation”.

“The state commissioner of police Abubakar Adamu Mohammed has urged members of the public to be law abiding and go about their lawful businesses as security have been beefed up in the area to forestall further breakdown of law and order in the area”, Amaraizu added.

http://dailypost.com.ng/2013/08/22/gunmen-storm-enugu-market-kill-many-traders/
Re: Gunmen Kill Eight Traders In Enugu Market by Tolexander: 4:39pm On Aug 22, 2013
This is pathetic.

Could this be the rise of an eastern insurgence!
Re: Gunmen Kill Eight Traders In Enugu Market by RichDad1(m): 4:50pm On Aug 22, 2013
5pm today? Yesterday? or when please? How come no other major news medium is reporting this? Abeg, if na joke stop am.

1 Like

Re: Gunmen Kill Eight Traders In Enugu Market by LagosBoi2(m): 5:54pm On Aug 22, 2013
Insecurity...
Re: Gunmen Kill Eight Traders In Enugu Market by Brimmie(m): 5:55pm On Aug 22, 2013
Rich Dad: 5pm today? Yesterday? or when please? How come no other major news medium is reporting this? Abeg, if na joke stop am.

Kedu, na today!

1 Like

Re: Gunmen Kill Eight Traders In Enugu Market by Nobody: 5:55pm On Aug 22, 2013
May untimely death never be our portion in Jesus name. Rip to the death.

15 Likes

Re: Gunmen Kill Eight Traders In Enugu Market by Brimmie(m): 5:56pm On Aug 22, 2013
Lagos_Boi: Insecurity...

Nope! tongue

[size=20]Fresh Air![/size]

2 Likes

Re: Gunmen Kill Eight Traders In Enugu Market by bhidex007: 5:57pm On Aug 22, 2013
The news is true. Letz see what the brave Kalu,Obi and Ndigbo wil have to say
Re: Gunmen Kill Eight Traders In Enugu Market by jamesibor: 5:57pm On Aug 22, 2013
Has Boko Haram entered Enugu?
Re: Gunmen Kill Eight Traders In Enugu Market by Nobody: 5:58pm On Aug 22, 2013
No fewer than eight persons have been reported dead after unknown gunmen opened fire on traders at Abakpa Nike in Enugu State.
According to him, “The arrested persons are Peter Nwankwo, Udeh Chimezie, Osita Onyia and one Chief Frank Eze.

The gunmen are known. Prosecute them!!!

1 Like

Re: Gunmen Kill Eight Traders In Enugu Market by ooshinibos: 5:59pm On Aug 22, 2013
where are the CCTV OR CAMS ...i bet you forgot to install them again ohh Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Gunmen Kill Eight Traders In Enugu Market by Brimmie(m): 5:59pm On Aug 22, 2013
james_ibor: Has Boko Haram entered Enugu?

STFU!! And stop pointing every state of insecurity in the Country to the Political Terrorists!!

Hold your Government for using your lives to play hide and seek!
Re: Gunmen Kill Eight Traders In Enugu Market by owolabifunke14(f): 5:59pm On Aug 22, 2013
RIP to the deads
Re: Gunmen Kill Eight Traders In Enugu Market by dplomaticVal: 6:03pm On Aug 22, 2013
tHis's malicious angry

cHei!! hope boko are rams hvnt invaded our peaceful S/east embarassed

1 Like

Re: Gunmen Kill Eight Traders In Enugu Market by Nobody: 6:04pm On Aug 22, 2013
book are rams
Re: Gunmen Kill Eight Traders In Enugu Market by Nobody: 6:05pm On Aug 22, 2013
International flight abt to commence in Enugu and people want to do everything humanly possible to sabotage it. God pass una!...or how else will one explain three comments about Enugu making front page...again God pass una

4 Likes

Re: Gunmen Kill Eight Traders In Enugu Market by sirwilly1(m): 6:08pm On Aug 22, 2013
Pls, this is no joke. It really happened. It is not connected with boko haram. Keep them out of this. I reside in Enugu. We observed people running towards our area when it was happening. We're still trying to know the cause of it.
Re: Gunmen Kill Eight Traders In Enugu Market by zolajpower: 6:09pm On Aug 22, 2013
Am just passin by. Wat a goan. Ah! Ah! Ah! Abi massob don bokomise d state ne?
Re: Gunmen Kill Eight Traders In Enugu Market by Nobody: 6:10pm On Aug 22, 2013
Gosh...
Re: Gunmen Kill Eight Traders In Enugu Market by sirwilly1(m): 6:11pm On Aug 22, 2013
All activities(business, etc) in enugu still hold. It didn't happen in the whole of enugu, just a small area a bit out of the state capital. Nobody should link this to any group (massob, boko, etc)
Re: Gunmen Kill Eight Traders In Enugu Market by zolajpower: 6:13pm On Aug 22, 2013
Dis must be Gej enemy. They wnt 2 get hm. APC thnk dey cn chng d chalenges faceby nijerians.
Re: Gunmen Kill Eight Traders In Enugu Market by Nobody: 6:13pm On Aug 22, 2013
Am not surprised. When I was coming back from the East on Sunday, I saw a lorry load of young men from the north going towards the East. They were stopped by military men just before Ajeokuta bridge in Kogi State and were being
interrogated when we passed. Something like this ran through my mind
when I saw them.
Re: Gunmen Kill Eight Traders In Enugu Market by joeace2020(m): 6:14pm On Aug 22, 2013
Prof Corruption:

The gunmen are known. Prosecute them!!!

do it...
Re: Gunmen Kill Eight Traders In Enugu Market by tspun(m): 6:17pm On Aug 22, 2013
JudismphD: May untimely death never be our portion in Jesus name. Rip to the death.
AMEN OOO
Re: Gunmen Kill Eight Traders In Enugu Market by Nobody: 6:20pm On Aug 22, 2013
Nawa oh!
Re: Gunmen Kill Eight Traders In Enugu Market by unmask: 6:23pm On Aug 22, 2013
while most of you might be hell bent on finding a northern suspect.....d real killers are waiting to be served oha soup

2 Likes

Re: Gunmen Kill Eight Traders In Enugu Market by Multcolor: 6:26pm On Aug 22, 2013
No it is cult crash,they have there target but security men intervened and thats what lead to the shoot out
Re: Gunmen Kill Eight Traders In Enugu Market by Adamsazubuike(m): 6:27pm On Aug 22, 2013
most likely misunderstanding in bussines transactions.
Re: Gunmen Kill Eight Traders In Enugu Market by Nobody: 6:27pm On Aug 22, 2013
ACN
Re: Gunmen Kill Eight Traders In Enugu Market by onyeguy: 6:32pm On Aug 22, 2013
Chai afia 4 na my area be that oh where i brought up during 90s anyway will confirm from area boys then get back with full details on board
Re: Gunmen Kill Eight Traders In Enugu Market by Nobody: 6:32pm On Aug 22, 2013
I was driving past there when the incident occurred,I counted four dead bodies. Four dead bodies surely. I did some first aid job on the three injured before they were whisked off to parklane hospital.
definitely, it was a cult crash,the area is a known slum for cultists habitation and this is not the first time such is happening.

4 Likes

Re: Gunmen Kill Eight Traders In Enugu Market by Fazhy: 6:34pm On Aug 22, 2013
If this is true, it should have been announced on radio by now

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Buhari Didn’t Attend South-east Economic, Security Summit— Presidency / Ganduje Wants Arthur Eze To Invest In Kano / IPOB Cancels Thursday’s Sit-at-home In South-East

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.