Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,197 members, 7,953,727 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 01:16 AM

ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government - Education (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government (52004 Views)

Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / Jonathan Says No More Negotiation With ASUU / FG Breaks-Off ASUU Negotiation, To Introduce Student Loans (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by McLuhan(m): 10:57am On Aug 23, 2013
Reyginus: What's all these talk of lawmakers? Is that it?
You are beginning to sound like one whose member of the family is a lecturer.
And then you ask, who made this agreement with them? Is it this govt?
Why is it non-negotiatable?
And now, how am I sounding selfish?
Perhaps things are done differently in Mars where you live, but down here on earth government is a continuum and agreements are meant to be honoured. Have you ever wondered why Goodluck Jonathan did not repudiate the agreement by which Obasanjo's government ceded Bakassi to Cameroun? It is called continuity, my dear. As an elected government, you inherent the assets and liabilities left by the preceeding administration. By the way, find out who was Nigeria's vice president when the ASUU/FGN Agreement was signed in 2009.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by abdulo4real: 11:04am On Aug 23, 2013
Orikinla: [size=18pt]ASUU has the best interests of Nigerian students.
But the government cares less, because the children of the President, members of his cabinet and most members of the National Assembly don't attend government universities.

If the government does not have the capacity to manage these universities, then the government should hands off and let the universities have full autonomy.
Then Nigerian universities don't need to be having industrial disputes with the government again. This is a simple solution.[/size]
my dear! you have said it all.
Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by Nobody: 11:04am On Aug 23, 2013
Mikebis: wat rubbish are u talkn abt,do u tink everybody has d xame nature, there dfferent tinz we do,like wat u said u doin,its nt part of ma own nature,i dnt knw hw 2 do it,u totally wrng

And i guess ur type can steal or pilfer if such chance knocks since you are not business/working oriented.
Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by Hisbanner: 11:05am On Aug 23, 2013
Assu & FG b worned stop playing with d future of nigerian youths
Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by ikebros4u(m): 11:08am On Aug 23, 2013
Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by Nobody: 11:14am On Aug 23, 2013
eddiebruk:

You are very funny to have believed her, 92B or 87B, really...so tell me Mr were was the 400B coming from, and the money that they are Budgeting for 2016 Census where is it coming from, wow..i cant even believe that someone is saying that Nigeria doesn't have that money or will bend on her knees if they provide that...PLEASE you need more education on Nigeria and its lifestyle..i don't think you are a Nigerian...prove me wrong, extra allowance to improve the Nations educational system, to provide more standardize learning environment, for God sake how long will Nigeria University keep looking like primary schools with no Labs, Test rooms, well stocked libraries, ICT Centers, Centers of Research, Study Guides, imagine tourism students going to Ghana for field trip when their mates are going to Rome, Vatican city to see more historic places, the money they are demanding for is not just for their own allowance, it is for the whole Government owned Uni betterness, if it was just for their own allowance they would have accepted the 30B offered to them.
Lololol. Seems I am not even the one in need of enlightenment.
First of all, it is easier and cheaper to inject 400 billion in the university system, so long it is not going to be a continous process, as in, not annually, nor monthly, but as the need arises.
Compare it to the monthly, or maybe, yearly allocation of 87 billion to the thiefing system.
Secondly, and most importantly, from what we were told, the extra-allowance is not for the development of any structure in our universities, but for the stress the thiefing lecturers pass through in marking of excess exam papers, teaching an overpopulated class, etc.
Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by komakan(m): 11:15am On Aug 23, 2013
Health workers have joined them. Where is dis country is runing into? I'm sure more will still join wen dis money is bn released to ASUU. Honestly, our certificates is useless outside. Gej should pay them for d sake of student. What are they negotiating sef, afterall de will never negotiate for president/ vice for N1b feeding allowance per annul. God doesn't sleep!

1 Like

Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by seyipumpin: 11:20am On Aug 23, 2013
My Friends outside Nigeria keep asking me: What is d meaning of "ASUU STRIKE"? I said it's an annual festival done in Nigeria Universities whereby students are not allowed to go to school for a while "uninformed"..... grin,... tongue

1 Like

Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by emmakind: 11:23am On Aug 23, 2013
Reyginus: Lolol. I can't help but laugh at the workings of the mind that came to such a conclusion, even when he seems to have come from an intelligent dimension.
I begin to wonder if it has ever happened that a sane person will condemn anyone opposing his opinion as ignorant without showing where and how the ignorance appeared in the latter's statement.
My friend, government is supposed to be a continous process, yes. But what happens when that which is to be continued is not feasible with the available means?
As a addition to my intelligence, you can break your perceived ignorance in me.
oh oh! i can see u are burning with that desire "let me just finish my studies in time" without giving thoughts to the standards of education. thank God u accepted that government is a continuous process. this is one problem our country is facing. dig deep into the nation's wealth and find out that we have what it takes to make our varsities compete with the likes of havard. infrastructures, equipment, teaching aids etc here in my school are nothing to write home about. have u wondered why these people cannot send their wards to our schools?
Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by McLuhan(m): 11:28am On Aug 23, 2013
eddiebruk:

You are very funny to have believed her, 92B or 87B, really...so tell me Mr were was the 400B coming from, and the money that they are Budgeting for 2016 Census where is it coming from, wow..i cant even believe that someone is saying that Nigeria doesn't have that money or will bend on her knees if they provide that...PLEASE you need more education on Nigeria and its lifestyle..i don't think you are a Nigerian...prove me wrong, extra allowance to improve the Nations educational system, to provide more standardize learning environment, for God sake how long will Nigeria University keep looking like primary schools with no Labs, Test rooms, well stocked libraries, ICT Centers, Centers of Research, Study Guides, imagine tourism students going to Ghana for field trip when their mates are going to Rome, Vatican city to see more historic places, the money they are demanding for is not just for their own allowance, it is for the whole Government owned Uni betterness, if it was just for their own allowance they would have accepted the 30B offered to them.
My brother, may you live long and may your days be peaceful. Thank God that there are still some sensible people left in this country. For God's sake, tertiary education in Nigeria is a standing joke! At UNIBEN, some students stand for lectures, while others use the backs of their colleagues as desks for their note taking. At UNIUYO, the continuing education lecture hall looks more like a cowshed. At ABU Zaria, the FG NEEDS Assessment Team discovered that one toilet serves more than 500 students! Today, no professor in a federal university, no matter how senior, earns up to 600,000 naira monthly. As a result, no Nigerian university can attract foreign professors - or even students - as opposed to what was the case in the 70s and 80s. I challenge anyone to dispute the veracity of these statements. For heaven's sake, what do Nigerians really want? Is it until our graduates can barely spell their names that we will realise that something is seriously wrong with our educational system?

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by Nobody: 11:38am On Aug 23, 2013
McLuhan:
Perhaps things are done differently in Mars where you live, but down here on earth government is a continuum and agreements are meant to be honoured. Have you ever wondered why Goodluck Jonathan did not repudiate the agreement by which Obasanjo's government ceded Bakassi to Cameroun? It is called continuity, my dear. As an elected government, you inherent the assets and liabilities left by the preceeding administration. By the way, find out who was Nigeria's vice president when the ASUU/FGN Agreement was signed in 2009.
The way you guys talk. As though 'continuity' for the sake of itself and not for the good in what it is tasked to continue, a good thing.
Like continuity is a good thing. You are trying to convince us that anything, so long it was agreed upon by the previous state of a system must be implemented by a current system, even when the current system find loopholes in it.
Dude, I wonder how you want me to agree.
Please bro, is continuity by the virtue of continuing, no matter what, a good thing?
Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by Nobody: 11:51am On Aug 23, 2013
emmakind:
oh oh! i can see u are burning with that desire "let me just finish my studies in time" without giving thoughts to the standards of education. thank God u accepted that government is a continuous process. this is one problem our country is facing. dig deep into the nation's wealth and find out that we have what it takes to make our varsities compete with the likes of havard. infrastructures, equipment, teaching aids etc here in my school are nothing to write home about. have u wondered why these people cannot send their wards to our schools?
No I need not wonder, it is commonsense. The schools are substandard.
But that is not the issue here. You are speaking as if the extra-allowance and not already agreed terms is the reason why. Is it?
Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by kaposky(f): 11:52am On Aug 23, 2013
ASUU or no ASUU, students must survive as long as God dey.
Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by alexleo(m): 11:57am On Aug 23, 2013
Mikebis: wat rubbish are u talkn abt,do u tink everybody has d xame nature,there dfferent tinz we do,like wat u said u doin,its nt part of ma own nature,i dnt knw hw 2 do it,u totally wrng

You mean your nature is not to work but to lazy about? Na wa for you.
Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by nicety(m): 12:03pm On Aug 23, 2013
nawa o. Am even confused. Iz it d lecturers nd staff's needs dat are more important in a university or the students' needs? 4rm my point of view, i think d government is not to blame. Because it was a particular government dat signed an agreement with ASUU, and it wasnt able 2 honor it, and that government is no more... So what ASUU ought 2 b duin is 2 hav a particular permanent agreement with evry government at d begining of itz regime, not 2 b attacking d new regime with d agreement made with d former regime...... Dis nation is heading 2....God knows where..... Sick nation headed by selfish leaders in every tier, angle nd office. God will soon eliminate all of dem....by his grace.
Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by Mikebis(m): 12:06pm On Aug 23, 2013
RedBenson:

And i guess ur type can steal or pilfer if such chance knocks since you are not business/working oriented.
i beg ur pardn,wat did u take me 4,i study industrial chemistry nd nt business admin,xo hw did u xpect me to knw hw 2 b a bsns guy,nd if cn do such a tin,is dat mean i shld go nd steal,mayb dat wat u tink its gona end up wt u afta 4 yrs in skul wt out no job.think of it,ma own nature its dfferent 4rm urs,nd xo odas,all fingers are nt d xam,wat u tink it cn work 4 u,cn nt wrk 4 any 1 els,we av dfferent mind set of achn succes in our lives
Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by McLuhan(m): 12:07pm On Aug 23, 2013
Reyginus: The way you guys talk. As though 'continuity' for the sake of itself and not for the good in what it is tasked to continue, a good thing.
Like continuity is a good thing. You are trying to convince us that anything, so long it was agreed upon by the previous state of a system must be implemented by a current system, even when the current system find loopholes in it.
Dude, I wonder how you want me to agree.
Please bro, is continuity by the virtue of continuing, no matter what, a good thing?

Have you studied the said agreement? Personally, I can tell you that I have. I possess both a hard and a soft copy of the agreement and I can assure you that I have devoted hours - and I mean hours - to a meticulous perusal of that agreement. For that reason, I can confidently and solemnly aver that it is a sensible, even modest, proposal for rescuing our universities from the doldrums. Believe it or not, there are no "loopholes" - as you prefer to call them - in that document. The only loophole I see is the insincerity of a government which prefers to acquire additional presidential jets rather than fund education, something which even the most affluent countries, such as the US and UK, would not do and which our neighbours in Ghana would dare not contemplate.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by ojiefi: 12:20pm On Aug 23, 2013
Naija na waaaa oooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ayima:

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/ASUU-pulls-out-of-negotiation-with-fg/
Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by ennon92(m): 12:25pm On Aug 23, 2013
@mcluhan: U don dey vex... Sorrie 4 u
Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by Mikebis(m): 12:25pm On Aug 23, 2013
alexleo:

You mean your nature is not to work but to lazy about? Na wa for you.
u coatin me wrng,i did nt say ma nature is nt 2 work,wat i mean is ur own idea u usn cannot work 4 anoda persn,xo u jst dnt av 2 conclude dat if sm1 did nt do it,he/she wll end stealin or wat xo eva u av in ur mind
Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by creativemusic: 12:30pm On Aug 23, 2013
Nigeria students don't deserve this government grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by McLuhan(m): 12:45pm On Aug 23, 2013
Mikebis: Actually wen i heard ASUU president talkn on superscreen news last 9t,i was xo chockd nd i had pity on dem,because wat he is sayn is totally truth,d government does nt want our educatn sector shld imprv at all,in other 2 fight against dis tin they mst work in hand 2gether 2 neva allow d fg 2 let d educatn sector down..i totally suport ASUU strike,even if it last 4 a yr no wahala,its 4 our gud nd d nxt coming generatn
Your comments suggest that you are a highly intelligent person. You can reason. Unfortunately, not many Nigerians are like you. Many of your compatriots are spineless imbecilic sycophants. It's so tragic.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by Nobody: 12:49pm On Aug 23, 2013
theoctopus:

What nonsense rant is this? Are they underpaid? You guys have gone on this your fight government no matter what campaign that you dont even know when you are fighting yourselves anymore. Nigeria's budget is 4 trillion. Why would any sensible government pay ASUU 92 billion as allowances? That is not even their salaries. So how much will the government now allocate to the university infrastructure? Ignorance is indeed a disease

Mr could you please know the root of the strike action that it started because of the said educational infrastructural development and not their allowance, they are not after their own allowance, they are after the whole infrastructural educational system, if it was for their own allowance, they would have accepted the 30B offered and forget about the educational system...get your facts straight before you comment bro...you don't even know the cause of the strike action in the first place, all you know is the allowance part you probably must have heard from people.
Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by Johnsinia(m): 12:54pm On Aug 23, 2013
MY SUGGESTN

The FG shuld enter fresh agreement with the lecturers that are willing to listen to them or perherps, employ new lecturers and then enter fresh agreement with them towards providing infrastructures and funding on research and other area that will make Nig Uni standard. The FG shuld ignore (sack) all the current jokers we ve in our high institutn as lecturers, they contribute more to our backwardness. All they are after is their handout and molesting of our female studnts; they are very corrupt and i see no reason on wasting 90B on them. They shuld ve work on theirselves first before demanding such a huge sum. Infact, if the FG pay these jokers this sum then, they (FG) are the bigest fool. They shuld work on theirselves and deliver first before demanding.

TO FG: if the lecturers are stil adamant to resume their duties and work on theirselves; releave them frm their duties and employ decent and serious lectures afterall, their all lot of unemployment outside. We are tired of this strike nonesense.
Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by slap1(m): 12:55pm On Aug 23, 2013
McLuhan:
Have you studied the said agreement? Personally, I can tell you that I have. I possess both a hard and a soft copy of the agreement and I can assure you that I have devoted hours - and I mean hours - to a meticulous perusal of that agreement. For that reason, I can confidently and solemnly aver that it is a sensible, even modest, proposal for rescuing our universities from the doldrums. Believe it or not, there are no "loopholes" - as you prefer to call them - in that document. The only loophole I see is the insincerity of a government which prefers to acquire additional presidential jets rather than fund education, something which even the most affluent countries, such as the US and UK, would not do and which our neighbours in Ghana would dare not contemplate.
Bro, could you send me a copy of the agreement? Thanks.
Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by Kaid01: 12:55pm On Aug 23, 2013
ASUU nawawo.....nw weti remain b sey make we go find job since dis govament and ASUU no 1 face the conclusion point....mi i don join pure water business remaining u...u i mean
Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by Nobody: 1:01pm On Aug 23, 2013
Reyginus: Lololol. Seems I am not even the one in need of enlightenment.
First of all, it is easier and cheaper to inject 400 billion in the university system, so long it is not going to be a continous process, as in, not annually, nor monthly, but as the need arises.
Compare it to the monthly, or maybe, yearly allocation of 87 billion to the thiefing system.
Secondly, and most importantly, from what we were told, the extra-allowance is not for the development of any structure in our universities, but for the stress the thiefing lecturers pass through in marking of excess exam papers, teaching an overpopulated class, etc.

Now someone needs to know what the strike means in more details because i think you are going by what you hear and not what the strike action really means, if the Educational system has more standards compared to other developed nations, it wont need as much as they are demanding to maintain that standard, probably it will need maybe about 10-15B yearly to maintain if it was good in the first place, of course it cost more to build than to maintain, if the system was maintained there would be no need for such huge amount to continue its maintenance, but the system right now doesn't even have a foundation, hence why such amount is needed to help develope it solidly for your own good...else your children will be dummies by the time they get to the university stage...aren't you ashamed that Nigeria Degree has no International recognition because of its failed educational system...? ,
Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by favouryemmy: 1:17pm On Aug 23, 2013
Johnsinia: MY SUGGESTN

The FG shuld enter fresh agreement with the lecturers that are willing to listen to them or perherps, employ new lecturers and then enter fresh agreement with them towards providing infrastructures and funding on research and other area that will make Nig Uni standard. The FG shuld ignore (sack) all the current jokers we ve in our high institutn as lecturers, they contribute more to our backwardness. All they are after is their handout and molesting of our female studnts; they are very corrupt and i see no reason on wasting 90B on them. They shuld ve work on theirselves first before demanding such a huge sum. Infact, if the FG pay these jokers this sum then, they (FG) are the bigest fool. They shuld work on theirselves and deliver first before demanding.

TO FG: if the lecturers are stil adamant to resume their duties and work on theirselves; releave them frm their duties and employ decent and serious lectures afterall, their all lot of unemployment outside. We are tired of this strike nonesense.

What the lecturers are demanding is the earned allowances. i.e. they have already been earned between 2009 till date. Not the ones that are not yet earned.
Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by dbucas: 1:20pm On Aug 23, 2013
please and please ladies go and marry ooo, guys go and learn work ooooo. strike to continue till 2034. ooppssss!
Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by adeboolusegun(m): 1:29pm On Aug 23, 2013
nawaoooo
.. God ve mercy.
Re: ASUU Withdraw From Negotiation With Government by Blessyswt(f): 1:37pm On Aug 23, 2013
Am so tired dat am getin married very soon

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Camels Grazing On A Primary School In Plateau (Photos) / 4-Year-Old Girl Destroys School Properties. Teacher Reacts Calmly (Video) / Boarding School Scandals: My Experiences As A Staff Of FGGC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.