Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,757 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:50 AM

Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike - Health (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike (14328 Views)

JOHESU To Embark On Nationwide Strike / All Health Workers Can Now Be Consultants-fg / Breaking!! Six More Health Workers Infected With EBOLA!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by JoannaSedley(f): 9:33am On Aug 24, 2013
joshuapharm:

The question here is what did u do in school that gives u right to prescribe that other health professionals didn't do? Just mention, let's try to be objective now. How m I even sure I'm arguing with a med doc sef?
this is a nice question. What courses makes it exceptional for only doctors. Just a detailed answer cos i wonder why pharmacist will know the particular drugs that works for various conditions and manufacture them but are not allowed to prescribe them.
For me i think it's the law not that it is necessary. Attack the question not me.
Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by Dnaz(m): 9:34am On Aug 24, 2013
I wuld also like to educate u more. Pathology has 5 parts,there are Histopathology or anatomic pathology, Chemical pathology, Haematology,Medical Microbiology and Parasitology and Finally Immunology
Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by JoannaSedley(f): 9:37am On Aug 24, 2013
Dnaz:

We read anatomy not ANA 202,301 or 322
Physiology and not PSI 201,302,etc
Biochemistry not BCH 211 etc
We also read PATHOLOGY which summarises lab science, Pharmacology not 301 222 302 401, and in addition we read Radiiology, anaesthesiology, Ophthalmology, dermatology, E.N.T, paediatrics, Obstetrics and gynaecology,internal medicine and surgery, we also read community medicine, Primary health care and family medicine. Yeah we Knw everything abt our patients
as in jack of all .......... And master of.........
I wonder what you think is the course content of those 101;201;301 course and all other stuff

1 Like

Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by Dnaz(m): 10:04am On Aug 24, 2013
Joanna Sedley: as in jack of all .......... And master of.........
I wonder what you think is the course content of those 101;201;301 course and all other stuff

Jack of all and master of all
Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by joshuapharm(m): 10:10am On Aug 24, 2013
Dnaz:

We read anatomy not ANA 202,301 or 322
Physiology and not PSI 201,302,etc
Biochemistry not BCH 211 etc
We also read PATHOLOGY which summarises lab science, Pharmacology not 301 222 302 401, and in addition we read Radiiology, anaesthesiology, Ophthalmology, dermatology, E.N.T, paediatrics, Obstetrics and gynaecology,internal medicine and surgery, we also read community medicine, Primary health care and family medicine. Yeah we Knw everything abt our patients

All this are just crap! Shudnt be a basis for prescribing. Except surgery, ob & gyn, and radiology, there nothing special about what u just wrote. The key thing to prescribing is in knowing the aethiology, pathophysiology and say epidemiology and all the pharmacology involved in a disease state, which we do fully in clinical pharmacy at undergrad level. We do full pharmacology (just to let you know), so spreading the diff topics into diff semesters and sessions only give room for adequate and full study of the various topics(pharmacology is very wide, u must know that) .. I wonder y med stds jam pack everything into a year and few months, they'll open their mouths and say they know pharmacology.. *deep sigh*. I shud rest my case here.. Work dey to do abeg..
Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by joshuapharm(m): 10:11am On Aug 24, 2013
Joanna Sedley: this is a nice question. What courses makes it exceptional for only doctors. Just a detailed answer cos i wonder why pharmacist will know the particular drugs that works for various conditions and manufacture them but are not allowed to prescribe them.
For me i think it's the law not that it is necessary. Attack the question not me.

This really beats me oo, my sister.. Tell em!!
Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by joshuapharm(m): 10:16am On Aug 24, 2013
Dnaz:

Go to the 'medical advise' thread on the front page of the health section and proffer solutions to the health challenges of ur fellow Nigerians.. Mr doctor!!!
Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by JoannaSedley(f): 10:43am On Aug 24, 2013
Dnaz:

all under six years, you must be kidding right. Have you ever thought about what pharmacist,MLS, nurses and others do in school for 5 years and more. Don't you think they also do these courses too like a pharmacist will do the anat and physio of the body systems before even knowing the drugs that will work, study about women, children and in fact everything thing essential that will work with or against the drug he is about to manufacture.
Personally, it is only surgery that cannot be quantified and i mean cardio and neuro, the rest i am feeling pity for them.
Once the pharmacist, nurses gain full prescribing power doctors are left with the blade and that is when we will know who and who actually passed JAMB and who bribed the officials.
IMO, doctors should up their game in Nigeria, focus on what they do that make them special and not try to push other professionals down. Resentment is setting in and health professionals are going to court and currently are winning, people are getting tired of doctors vs others, very soon laws will start flying about in favour of these guys so that our politicians can rest for once and you know how lazy our politicians are. Shiit is hitting the ceiling in several developed countries giving them the chance to prove themselves and honestly i believe they have got good records.
Doctors beware, put ego aside and learn, be the best you can be and leave others to attain their full pottential and the incentives that comes with it.

1 Like

Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by adroitish: 10:49am On Aug 24, 2013
The problem doesn't lie in your ability to prescribe but ur ability to make a diagnosis. Some special cases too require ur clerking for prescription. Let evryone just know their place

1 Like

Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by deswords(m): 10:50am On Aug 24, 2013
I beg make Nigeria Jst go on strike. bcus I don tire 4 dis dem strike issue
Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by joshuapharm(m): 10:58am On Aug 24, 2013
Joanna Sedley: all under six years, you must be kidding right. Have you ever thought about what pharmacist,MLS, nurses and others do in school for 5 years and more. Don't you think they also do these courses too like a pharmacist will do the anat and physio of the body systems before even knowing the drugs that will work, study about women, children and in fact everything thing essential that will work with or against the drug he is about to manufacture.
Personally, it is only surgery that cannot be quantified and i mean cardio and neuro, the rest i am feeling pity for them.
Once the pharmacist, nurses gain full prescribing power doctors are left with the blade and that is when we will know who and who actually passed JAMB and who bribed the officials.
IMO, doctors should up their game in Nigeria, focus on what they do that make them special and not try to push other professionals down. Resentment is setting in and health professionals are going to court and currently are winning, people are getting tired of doctors vs others, very soon laws will start flying about in favour of these guys so that our politicians can rest for once and you know how lazy our politicians are. Shiit is hitting the ceiling in several developed countries giving them the chance to prove themselves and honestly i believe they have got good records.
Doctors beware, put ego aside and learn, be the best you can be and leave others to attain their full pottential and the incentives that comes with it.

God bless you, I couldn't agree or say more.
Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by joshuapharm(m): 11:02am On Aug 24, 2013
adroitish: The problem doesn't lie in your ability to prescribe but ur ability to make a diagnosis. Some special cases too require ur clerking for prescription. Let evryone just know their place

Diagonis is a problem, prescription is also a problem. I've seen too many cases of wrong prescription and had to counsel the patient all over again. Until we begin to co-operate, we'll keep avin problems and all these fall bck on the patients.
Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by eaglechild: 11:14am On Aug 24, 2013
Joanna Sedley: this is a nice question. What courses makes it exceptional for only doctors. Just a detailed answer cos i wonder why pharmacist will know the particular drugs that works for various conditions and manufacture them but are not allowed to prescribe them.
joshuapharm:

All this are just crap! Shudnt be a basis for prescribing. Except surgery, ob & gyn, and radiology, there nothing special about what u just wrote. The key thing to prescribing is in knowing the aethiology, pathophysiology and say epidemiology and all the pharmacology involved in a disease state, which we do fully in clinical pharmacy at undergrad level. We do full pharmacology (just to let you know), so spreading the diff topics into diff semesters and sessions only give room for adequate and full study of the various topics(pharmacology is very wide, u must know that) .. I wonder y med stds jam pack everything into a year and few months, they'll open their mouths and say they know pharmacology.. *deep sigh*. I shud rest my case here.. Work dey to do abeg..
I respect pharmacists, and they have a pivotal role to play in health care.
That role however DOES NOT include drug prescription.
We seem to forget here that the word prescription has a prefix doctor's.
It is DOCTORS' PRESCRIPTION not nurses' or pharmacists' etc.
No where in the developed world can one obtain medication unless OTC without a doctors' prescription.
Just picture a patient walking into a drug store with a paper written diagnosis breast cancer.
What will the pharmacist do?
Will he start doling out chemotherapy drugs? Isn't the idea way ludicrous.
Even if it is an apparently "simple" diagnosis like malaria. The drug given differs depending on so many other underlying factors.

What are you going to prescribe for a post op patient when you are not privy to the pre and intraop conditions.
How will you monitor the patient and decide when to alter your prescription if need be when you are not trained to do so.
Don't, you see you are deviating from your role.

Pls it is dangerous to misinform the public.
There is a difference between personal opinion and misinformation.

1 Like

Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by Nobody: 11:18am On Aug 24, 2013
Why all this professional tussle? This is the reason why Nigeria wont go forward, everybodi tinks he/she is the head..For d sake of our patients lets just agree to the fact dat we are all one..weda NMA,MLSCN,PCN etc...Imagine the former CMD of LUTH sayin in 2003 dat a patients belong only to the doctor..dats not right..pls we are all one!!
Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by Nobody: 11:31am On Aug 24, 2013
Though am in NMA and MDCN camp bt i belive dose bodies a hell of selfish bodies..it was wen i gained adm into medical skool dat i discovered..in d prospectus, for a graduate of Anatomy,physiologyand BCH who wishes to get a MBBS/BDS, dey hav to start frm yr2 wich is anat, physio and BCH class..my question is why cant dose ana,physio and Bch grad start frm the clinical class since dey are already masters of d basic medical courses??
Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by JoannaSedley(f): 11:32am On Aug 24, 2013
eaglechild: . .
No where in the developed world can one obtain medication unless OTC without a doctors' prescription.
Just picture a patient walking into a drug store with a paper written diagnosis breast cancer.
Even if it is an apparently "simple" diagnosis like malaria. The drug given differs depending on so many other underlying factors.

What are you going to prescribe for a post op patient when you are not privy to the pre and intraop conditions.
How will you monitor the patient and decide when to alter your prescription if need be when you are not trained to do so.

it is no longer doctors prescribtion. Google professionals that have prescribtion powers and see
Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by Nobody: 12:05pm On Aug 24, 2013
Dnaz:

WHY ALL DIS UNNECCESSARY NOISE? THE DENTAL SURGEONS(THOUGH ALSO MEMEBERS OF NMA) DONT DEY DO GENERAL SURGERY AND GENERGY MEDICINE? PAEDATRICS,LABORATORY MEDICINE ETC EXCEPT O and G.. Wats d big deal dere??pls its time we end all dese power tussule..the pharmacist want to be CMD, fine,y dont we give dem a shot??
Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by bumfem: 12:27pm On Aug 24, 2013
@Dmaz... u can now see that u are a neonate when it come to discussing the issues without insulting others. U have no idea of current trend globally. Best practices in the developed nations today is collaborative health care approach not egocentric that leads patients and the system no where. There are nursing practitioners in US who are found more at the community levels, the assess and dx and prescribes medication. They are been found at that level to be better than many physicians. Govt of ontario in Canada now clears physiotherapist to co-examine patient at outpatient clinics bc they are better detectors of musculoskeletal disorders...loads of research support this. Pharmacist now to review and adjust accordingl the effect of various medications in patients in the ward because they are far better than physicians at it. I can go on an on... In UK in Aussie and new zealand. There are highly developed countries who we are looking up to. Their policy and program is about what works and not on ego and fallacy.
I don't see this nation coming out our situation until we embraced truth and justice.
Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by bumfem: 12:31pm On Aug 24, 2013
@Dmaz... u can now see that u are a neonate when it come to discussing the issues without insulting others. U have no idea of current trend globally. Best practices in the developed nations today is collaborative health care approach not egocentric that leads patients and the system no where. There are nursing practitioners in US who are found more at the community levels, they assess and dx and prescribes medication. They are been found at that level to be better than many physicians. Govt of ontario in Canada now clears physiotherapist to co-examine patient at outpatient clinics bc they are better detectors of musculoskeletal disorders...loads of research support this. Pharmacist now to review and adjust accordingl the effect of various medications in patients in the ward because they are far better than physicians at it. I can go on an on... In UK in Aussie and new zealand. There are highly developed countries who we are looking up to. Their policy and program is about what works and not on ego and fallacy.
I don't see this nation coming out our situation until we embraced truth and justice.
Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by joshuapharm(m): 1:04pm On Aug 24, 2013

U're wrong sir.. The word prescription has the symbol 'Rx' and the meaning 'recipere' or 'take thou'. So you see it has no peculiarity to med docs. The many other underlying factors u spoke about are the reasons y u shud seek a Rxcist's advise b4 u prescribe although not in all cases. When it comes to cases like chemotherapy, diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, the pharmacist must be sought. There are underlying factors involved in the prod of drugs. Like I advised sum1 on anoda thread to stick with one brand of nitroglycerin for angina because of d issue of bioequivalence. Cooperation is very key. Very very key.
Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by sofi05(m): 2:39pm On Aug 24, 2013
"No man is an island"! This is a powerful statement. Co-operation is very key! Do u think if your Medical Laboratory Scientist knows that his work is appreciated and compensated as such he will not do all he can to conduct his test as soon as possible knowing that his patient is in the ward? If the patient belongs to everybody, don't u think there'll be more productivity? Do u think it is right that a worker who has laboured for over 25years does not have a hope that he csan attain the peak of his carrer when he is a graduate of a health profession?is it right that an accountant with a four-year degree can become Accountant general of the state or even the federation and can rise to heights such as becoming the permanent secretary of the ministry even higher than a director of that ministry? If that be the case, y can't a professional rise to the peak of his carrer as to head his department. In the US, the medical lab can be headed by a pathologist or a scientist who has attained such status usually over a period of time of service. In the UK, consultants exist for all departments. It is just a pity that ducks have been indoctrinated. Such shame!!!
Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by onagoodday1: 5:25pm On Aug 24, 2013
thank God that matured minds has come into this discussion,people who give you reasons why this and that ought to be this or that way and not subscribe to attacking and insulting others instead of being resonable with justifying their opinion
Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by onagoodday1: 5:42pm On Aug 24, 2013

my brother,theirs a difference between a clinical,an industrial,analytical,academic and a community pharmacist,a pharmacist with clinical inclination work in the hospital,they do not just see the patients,they interact with them,know their medical history and diagnosis and so when their is an oncology case as you mentioned,the oncology pharmacist will be their to deal with the drug issues,you see that is why govt must recognise them as consultant,so as to encourage more specialization and efficiency.
clinical pharmacist can monitor patient adequately,alter prescriptions(if need be)assess if there is/are side effects either novel or old or how do you think they came up with all the numerous side effects you see,simply because they were close to the patient. i can go on and on and on,but time and space is a constraint,buh for now cheers
Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by Dnaz(m): 7:08pm On Aug 24, 2013
Just came back from work to discover u all have been spewing nonsense on this thread. Anyway make I chop 1st
Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by Dnaz(m): 7:12pm On Aug 24, 2013
joshuapharm:

U're wrong sir.. The word prescription has the symbol 'Rx' and the meaning 'recipere' or 'take thou'. So you see it has no peculiarity to med docs. The many other underlying factors u spoke about are the reasons y u shud seek a Rxcist's advise b4 u prescribe although not in all cases. When it comes to cases like chemotherapy, diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, the pharmacist must be sought. There are underlying factors involved in the prod of drugs. Like I advised sum1 on anoda thread to stick with one brand of nitroglycerin for angina because of d issue of bioequivalence. Cooperation is very key. Very very key.

Its not necessary its d doctor dat knows what's best for the patient. If anytin happens we ll accept d responsibility. I tell u most solemnly a pharmacist does not knw how to prescribe so he shuldnt. Prescription is not d same for every patient
Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by Dnaz(m): 7:18pm On Aug 24, 2013
bumfem: @Dmaz... u can now see that u are a neonate when it come to discussing the issues without insulting others. U have no idea of current trend globally. Best practices in the developed nations today is collaborative health care approach not egocentric that leads patients and the system no where. There are nursing practitioners in US who are found more at the community levels, they assess and dx and prescribes medication. They are been found at that level to be better than many physicians. Govt of ontario in Canada now clears physiotherapist to co-examine patient at outpatient clinics bc they are better detectors of musculoskeletal disorders...loads of research support this. Pharmacist now to review and adjust accordingl the effect of various medications in patients in the ward because they are far better than physicians at it. I can go on an on... In UK in Aussie and new zealand. There are highly developed countries who we are looking up to. Their policy and program is about what works and not on ego and fallacy.

U r just a compound idiot with complicated malaria
In the U.S a Nurse practitioner can only prescribe when he/she has d signatory of d doctor that ll back her. A nurse practitioner had to close her clinic wen d doctor he was working with left d clinic
Nowhere in the world does a pharmacist prescribe u r just telling lies. Y'all shuld chill and serve ur master. A catechist cannot claim to be a priest even if he can recite d mass he can't celebrate it nor touch holy communion
Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by Dnaz(m): 7:23pm On Aug 24, 2013
Osahon7: WHY ALL DIS UNNECCESSARY NOISE? THE DENTAL SURGEONS(THOUGH ALSO MEMEBERS OF NMA) DONT DEY DO GENERAL SURGERY AND GENERGY MEDICINE? PAEDATRICS,LABORATORY MEDICINE ETC EXCEPT O and G.. Wats d big deal dere??pls its time we end all dese power tussule..the pharmacist want to be CMD, fine,y dont we give dem a shot??

Dentists are doctors so they can do whatever they like. I rather have a dentist managing my illness not a nurse or lab technician

1 Like

Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by Dnaz(m): 7:26pm On Aug 24, 2013
bumfem: @Dmaz... u can now see that u are a neonate when it come to discussing the issues without insulting others. U have no idea of current trend globally. Best practices in the developed nations today is collaborative health care approach not egocentric that leads patients and the system no where. There are nursing practitioners in US who are found more at the community levels, they assess and dx and prescribes medication. They are been found at that level to be better than many physicians. Govt of ontario in Canada now clears physiotherapist to co-examine patient at outpatient clinics bc they are better detectors of musculoskeletal disorders...loads of research support this. Pharmacist now to review and adjust accordingl the effect of various medications in patients in the ward because they are far better than physicians at it. I can go on an on... In UK in Aussie and new zealand. There are highly developed countries who we are looking up to. Their policy and program is about what works and not on ego and fallacy.

If I am a neonate, u are a retained product of incomplete abortion, I m coming with my MVA kit to Evacuate u
Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by Dnaz(m): 7:35pm On Aug 24, 2013
Joanna Sedley: it is no longer doctors prescribtion. Google professionals that have prescribtion powers and see

The problem is dat u need googles, I think u have Myopia, any symptom of headache, itchy eyes or tearing, has anybody in ur family lineage worn googles. If so I m referring u to an optometrist. Even though I knw what u need but make d optometrist chop food abeg
Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by Dnaz(m): 7:43pm On Aug 24, 2013
Osahon7: Though am in NMA and MDCN camp bt i belive dose bodies a hell of selfish bodies..it was wen i gained adm into medical skool dat i discovered..in d prospectus, for a graduate of Anatomy,physiologyand BCH who wishes to get a MBBS/BDS, dey hav to start frm yr2 wich is anat, physio and BCH class..my question is why cant dose ana,physio and Bch grad start frm the clinical class since dey are already masters of d basic medical courses??

My dear let ♏E explain it to u. Granted a person has a Bsc in anatomy, he lacks d required standard in physiology and human biochemistry, if he has physio, he has not passed anat and bch, if he has bch, he has not passed anat and physio. And for u to start clinicals he must pass all three. So u see why he has to start from 2nd year. I hope somebody ll not come out and tell ♏E dat an anatomy graduate knws more anatomy dan a doctor before hippocrates ll rise from d grave to slap d crap out of him/her
Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by Nobody: 7:56pm On Aug 24, 2013
a pharmacist may knw the drug inside out but he can not make a CLINICAL DIAGNOSIS.
Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by Nobody: 8:05pm On Aug 24, 2013
Joanna Sedley: all under six years, you must be kidding right. Have you ever thought about what pharmacist,MLS, nurses and others do in school for 5 years and more. Don't you think they also do these courses too like a pharmacist will do the anat and physio of the body systems before even knowing the drugs that will work, study about women, children and in fact everything thing essential that will work with or against the drug he is about to manufacture.
u got it all wrong, NOBODY stops u frm attaining ur full potentials no dnt need to go ti court to get that. the central issue is LEADERSHIP in health team, a medical doctor has a broader medical knowledge then any other health professional and therefore should play a leadership role in health sector. each profession in the sector has its PECULIERITIES it is upto those professionals to effectively utilise such to their advantage.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

COVID-19 Update For September 29 2020 In Nigeria -(3,815 Tested)) / Lagos Discharges 67 Coronavirus Patients Today / Should Non-doctors Head health Institutions?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.