Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,745 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:48 AM

Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister (8770 Views)

Massive Fraud In Nigeria N117billion Rice Import Quota Scheme - Premuim Times / BREAKING NEWS!!! Tension In Owerri As Local Attack Hausa(photos) / Rice Imports Down 95% On Local Production (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by juman(m): 11:31am On Aug 25, 2013
Another pure lie coming out from minister's anus.

“The transformation agenda of the present administration has yielded lots of positive results in the area of agriculture. In fact the area of rice production, there has been drastic reduction in its importation. There are even fears that the revenue being generated by custom from the importation has drastically reduced by 50 percent.
This is a fact you can cross-check from the banks and the Central Bank of Nigeria. They are the ones monitoring it,” Shamsdeen said.

Even the revenue generation from custom is been siphoning away.
Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by eaglechild: 11:32am On Aug 25, 2013
Obiagelli:
I like your objectivity here, though I have seen rice mills here and there, truth is that I can seen to find any of this local rice in the main markets. Btw I still believe this agric minister is a failure and the government itself is not interest in agriculture, the budget alone speaks volume.
Destoned local rice is often more expensive than the regular imports.
I agree they are not always available but that depends on where you live and how much you are willing to pay.
Local rice is also healthier and more nutritious as rigorous processing of imports tend to reduce its nutritive content.
Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by eaglechild: 11:34am On Aug 25, 2013
Obiagelli:
I like your objectivity here, though I have seen rice mills here and there, truth is that I can seen to find any of this local rice in the main markets. Btw I still believe this agric minister is a failure and the government itself is not interest in agriculture, the budget alone speaks volume.
double post
Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by Originalsly: 11:38am On Aug 25, 2013
This is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. Rice importation is down by 50% because customs rice revenue is down by 50%.This man should be sacked immediately...and if I had it my way...hmmmm...the last thing he would see on earth would be a firing squad.
Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by juman(m): 11:39am On Aug 25, 2013
The imported rice are grown by human being like us not spirit. Why can't we get our heart together and have a good way of producing our own rice.

One nigeria sucks.
Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by juman(m): 11:43am On Aug 25, 2013
Originalsly: This is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. Rice importation is down by 50% because customs rice revenue is down by 50%.This man should be sacked immediately...and if I had it my way...hmmmm...the last thing he would see on earth would be a firing squad.
^^^^
You are so funny. grin grin
Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by Symphony007: 11:53am On Aug 25, 2013
Pukkah: Why would a Minister talk in such a general and nebulous terms like this on a subject that's this important?

Why would a Minister choose not to quote figures but would rather have me check with the banks or CBN?

I want this policy to succeed but the Minister shouldn't sell us a dummy the way someone said the Ministry of Solid Minerals had employed a whopping 2 million people.

This Minister or another one should tell us in specific terms:

1. When the implementation of this good policy started.

2. The locations of the rice farms/mills.

3. How the government has supported the farms to achieve results.

4. The number of metric tonnes that have been produced and the year(s).

5. The exact decline in Customs revenue and to compensate for this, the (estimated) number of people that have been employed by the farms.

Meanwhile, it should be noted that what the Minister appears to have relied on - reduction in rice importation - is not a sufficient reason to conclude that there is an 'upsurge in local production of rice'. For example, have people found other substitutes? Have importers started evading duties? Etc
leave minister usman alone, he is delusional. How many rice farms are in nigeria? How many rice mills are in nigeria? When last did you eat made in nigerian rice? Nigerian is still the number 1 importer of thia parboiled rice followed b benin, meanwhile we can grow and mill our own rice. The thia people know they are making billions off this country so they continue to enhance their rice industry.

Below is a picture of yingluk shinuwa, the thai prime minister opening a new rice milling plant and testing the rice milled there. When will we see a picture like this of our president?

1 Like

Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by Afroconnect: 12:08pm On Aug 25, 2013
Our land is rich,we must preserve our Natural ways of farming.
Nigerian government should desist from selling lands to China for farming in Nigeria.
Chinese are greedy,I have a friend who work with them,they are using Genetic modified processes of Agriculture to boost yields.GMO food causes cancer,diabetes and other diseases to the body because of the chemicalisation of Natural crops.The GMO Agricultural systems also depreciates the value of our lands.
Foods being imported and into the Nation should be tested too.
Even if Nigeria is not a rich Nation,we are not suffering from famine,neither is there food shortages.Let them consume their GMO foods with their people.
Our land is rich,let us not damage our Natural Eco-system.
God bless Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by Ibime(m): 12:40pm On Aug 25, 2013
ochejoseph:
the custom revenue often generated from the importation of the staple food has dropped to about 50 percent.

Maybe Custom officers are chopping the money or rice importers are evading stamp duty or smuggling. . . cos I don't think the average Nigeria eats "Nigerian" rice most of the time
Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by rockstar99: 12:45pm On Aug 25, 2013
There was massive import of rice in December last year. I understand that the warehouses of govt approved importers are still full of the product shocked. This due to the ff facts ; Ofada rice N 18,000 per bag, Cotonou rice N 7,000 landing cost Badagry via Seme ; thus the rice stocked up is not moving as anticipated. Please wash rice we'll before use as I am sure pesticides are liberally applied to manage weevils. If trend continues Bankers that finance the import would son start selling rice from branches grin

2 Likes

Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by Orjioorji(f): 12:49pm On Aug 25, 2013
Abakaliki rice test better than foreign rice.
Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by VoteOutPDPJona: 1:35pm On Aug 25, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
That is even my worry. It seems smuggling is increasing and the customs are not doing enough. Most of the challenges now are coming from the largely incompetent security architecture due to decades of quota system. From Boko Haram, oil theft, smuggling, kidnappings,etc the story is the same. Lapses, lapses and incompetence everywhere. Though the army and police have improved a bit but they all still have a very long way to go, especially the police, customs, immigration, navy and prisons.

A very sincere depiction of the Nigerian scenery. grin grin

But who is to blame?
Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by Nobody: 2:09pm On Aug 25, 2013
gramci: Where are the evil men of nairaland?
Na lie Jonathan talk! E own lie don too much. Na for niaraland u go eat D rice? U no go price rubber of rice, and make see say e still dey #600 4 big seed? Rice just inbetween few months of 2012 left #300 under D foolish eyes of D Govt and entered 600 without any problem in D producing countries. Wetin decrease? How much is D bag of rice- #12000. And then why shuld ASSU, doctors and other civil servant should nt go on strike, whn smone hear they receive 100, one shout, but more than 10% is gone 4 just raw rice, nt other food stuff, nt children sch fees, nt D costly fuel and other items. Whn they are left to be explioted by importers. All of us shuld remebr how jona brought rice to 4k against 8k and other things, especially D bag of cement dat dat man put at #2100 whn he new came, but godfathers wont hear of it.
Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by cecegorz(m): 2:18pm On Aug 25, 2013
Pukkah: Why would a Minister talk in such a general and nebulous terms like this on a subject that's this important?

Why would a Minister choose not to quote figures but would rather have me check with the banks or CBN?

I want this policy to succeed but the Minister shouldn't sell us a dummy the way someone said the Ministry of Solid Minerals had employed a whopping 2 million people.

5. The exact decline in Customs revenue and to compensate for this, the (estimated) number of people that have been employed by the farms.

Meanwhile, it should be noted that what the Minister appears to have relied on - reduction in rice importation - is not a sufficient reason to conclude that there is an 'upsurge in local production of rice'. For example, have people found other substitutes? Have importers started evading duties? Etc
Don't be surprised that the customs 'ogas @d top' cornered half of the revenue, under reported the actual imports and this dude is here mouthing rubbish.
Can you imagine if we locally produced the 50% for real? The impact on the farmers will be very glariing.
Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by cecegorz(m): 2:34pm On Aug 25, 2013
DP.
Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by nicago: 2:42pm On Aug 25, 2013
fyneguy: Go to Daleko and see if local rice is more than imported

Bros, you sabi Daleko?? You badt o..
Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by nicago: 2:45pm On Aug 25, 2013
juman:
^^^^
You are so funny. grin grin

The guy dey vex o....looools
Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by Nobody: 2:47pm On Aug 25, 2013

God bless u. We are praising Jona earlier does nt make us to aviod D truth. D essence of stoping importation shuld B knw B4 stoping it. To stop expliotation- to reduce high price, to provide employment, acquisition of skill and selfdependent plus income. If we are wise, we are suppose to add, better products to nigerians. But if take a study nw there is nothing like that. Does D president eat local rice? He want gravel to remove his teeth. Can u rush and cook local rice in early morning without blowing chaff out, watch it to cook without melting or soaking in a morning if u are really in serious job? Is there any par boiled local rice in niaja or is there no importance to it and we have being buy it? Let really tell ourselves D truth can we export our local rice as it is nw(the way we are consuming it) to ghana nt D U.S. If no, this shows hw that D govt deem it citizens as fools who are comfortable with anything said or done. If by 214 we shut import of rice, lets make ours standard to be able to export to D place we buy nw. Moreover any product brought to niaja is specified nt to be exported to D west because it nt their standard even if they are D ones sending it to us. America D other day draw caution to lead on rice in their country, but in nigeria we have imported rice that goes frm halfdone to melting. We are nt talking of wht can possibly be in heavily imported commodity, wether radiation or anything. Who will care to check?
Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by Proxytalk: 3:09pm On Aug 25, 2013
[quote author=Pukkah]

I want this policy to succeed but the Minister shouldn't sell us

Oga now listen: ebonyi state now produces ebony super and ebony gold brand of rice far better better than ur foreign rice . as a matter of fact thats what i eat there is loyal shinkafa from kebbi state, Olam cultivated 40 hecters in nasarawa state last yr and is integrating the locals in their own brand which u ll still see as foreign.

1 Like

Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by Mikkychuks(m): 3:20pm On Aug 25, 2013
Make una wait make christmas cum first it nw rise bak to 100%.
Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by Symphony007: 3:31pm On Aug 25, 2013
Wow!! This thread is just a prolific attestation to the power of honesty. The truth has been established so not one, like sincere 9gerian is here arguing or debating lies. Let's commend when it's due and also condemn when it's due.
Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by lawizle(m): 4:03pm On Aug 25, 2013
When you hear the kick...
Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by Okwyjesus(m): 4:06pm On Aug 25, 2013
We are enjoying local rice and it's been great. A bag is N7500 & its sand free.

1 Like

Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by atlwireles: 5:06pm On Aug 25, 2013
Just had a conversation with a wholesale rice dealer today in PH. Most of us are eating locally grown rice repackaged as imports without knowing it. Nigeria we hail thee. I will do my own comparison, to verify this fact.

2 Likes

Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by Pukkah: 6:02pm On Aug 25, 2013
ochejoseph: Jalingo
Approximately 300,000 tonnes of rice will be
produced annually for the Nigerian marketplace,
which now imports as much as 2 million tonnes
of rice annually, thereby offsetting 15 per cent of
imports, the release added.
m.allafrica.com/stories/201302200771.html/

ochejoseph:
Adesina said a total paddy production for
2012/2013 farming season is estimated at
1,760,364 metric tonnes.

Hope you can the see contradictions in the above quotes.

Annual imports is 2 million tonnes. Total paddy production for 2012/2013 is 1.7million metric tonnes (almost 90% of 2 million tonnes).

Please what's the annual rice consuption in Nigeria (imports plus local production)?

What was the local production BEFORE the 'transformation' in agric and what is it NOW?
Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by Pukkah: 6:29pm On Aug 25, 2013
atlwireles: Just had a conversation with a wholesale rice dealer today in PH. Most of us are eating locally grown rice repackaged as imports without knowing it. Nigeria we hail thee. I will do my own comparison, to verify this fact.

I don't have any problem with MOST of us eating locally grown rice. However, large scale agric or manufacturing can't be done unnoticed. There must be signs from the value chain.

There must be signs if almost 2million tonnes of rice is being locally produced.

Where are the rice companies? What are the brand names? Where are the mills? Which companies produce the bags and other accessories?

People even know Honeywell Semolina that has a smaller capacity. People know some other cement companies apart from Dangote. Where are these large scale mills.

Local production is the way to go as it has so many advantages but we should not forget the fact that ALL politicians (regardless of the political party) exaggerate their achievements and downplay their inadequacies. This is why the people (who usually bear the brunt) should be vigilant.

1 Like

Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by seunfly: 6:35pm On Aug 25, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: Great! But how are we sure smuggling is not increasing and slowing the intended benefits of the policy
Wooow!!! 2nd time sincere 9ja will talk without ..........
Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by killuminati(m): 8:30pm On Aug 25, 2013
nig2change: Anyone who says the government is not working needs to hug transformer for transformation to occur in his/her life. This is unprecedented.
guy forget nuttin dey work
Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by boytonero1: 8:51pm On Aug 25, 2013
owolabifunke14: Are the local rice stone free? I've not tasted a local rice since 2002

2002 my foot! What if I told you that the Mamagold you bought last time was actually rebagged with local rice as the content? We have to first understand who we are for anything else to make sense.
Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by fyneguy: 8:54pm On Aug 25, 2013
eaglechild:
Destoned local rice is often more expensive than the regular imports.
I agree they are not always available but that depends on where you live and how much you are willing to pay.
Local rice is also healthier and more nutritious as rigorous processing of imports tend to reduce its nutritive content.

Lie from the pit of Ministry of Agric grin

Processed rice otherwise called Parboiled rice is more nutritious sir. Unprocessed rice is called paddy rice. Now google both for confirmation.
Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by miky(m): 11:50pm On Aug 25, 2013
anonimi: I am aware that there is a lot of work going on for improved local rice production.
However the 50% drop in rice import claim AT THIS TIME is total rubbish and senseless propaganda that does more harm than good to the supposed beneficiary.
I hope Shamsideen gets a long query for this damaging & embarrassing statement that MAY have been made to undermine the FGN.

i believe i read the same report like you did.. am not quite sure where you get the idea that the claim for rice imports dropped to 50%?? here is the key point again "the custom revenue often generated from the importation of the staple food has dropped to about 50 percent.

there is a difference in the revenue dropping and the actual rice imports droping to 50%.. obviously rice imports have dropped but i doubt its at 50% so quick..regardless it just shows the tricky parts of macro economy, somebody hurts another gains grin
Re: Rice Import Drops By 50% As Local Production Kicks - Minister by miky(m): 11:51pm On Aug 25, 2013
Symphony007: leave minister usman alone, he is delusional. How many rice farms are in nigeria? How many rice mills are in nigeria? When last did you eat made in nigerian rice? Nigerian is still the number 1 importer of thia parboiled rice followed b benin, meanwhile we can grow and mill our own rice. The thia people know they are making billions off this country so they continue to enhance their rice industry.

Below is a picture of yingluk shinuwa, the thai prime minister opening a new rice milling plant and testing the rice milled there. When will we see a picture like this of our president?

you guys always criticize without thinking.. didnt he take a picture with cassava bread grin.. maybe when he was with rice it was indoors..

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Military Lifts Suspension Of UNICEF In North-east Over Alleged Sabotage / Dele Alake: The Golden Voice Of Tinubu's Presidency - Omo-Ikirodah / Why Do Our Presidents Have Conspicuous Aides De Camp.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.