Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,799 members, 7,810,078 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:09 PM

Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? (14863 Views)

20 Signs Of Weak Iman (Faith) in a Muslim / How To Prove To A Christian That Jesus Was A Muslim? / She's A Christian,am A Muslim. Can This Marriage Work? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by maclatunji: 2:12pm On Aug 27, 2013
dridowu: Salam to my brothers and sisters in Islam, i dont know if this is allow in this thread but pardon me. I am a Muslim (not religion conscious) Practising Veterinarian (3yrs to present), i will like to know if Islam permit keeping of pets esp Dogs and moreover most of the animals that i treat on daily basis 90% are dogs, and i still have in mind having my own personal dogs as time goes on. Pls advise me according to the religion.
Once more pardon for posting this here and i will appreciate it if you can direct me to the question and thread.
Salam

1 Like

Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by lanrexlan(m): 3:21pm On Aug 27, 2013
Being a vet Doctor isn't a sin because you are rending service to animals.We learnt in the hadith of our beloved prophet(pbuh).
Sahih Bukhari 4:538,Narrated Abu Huraira Allah's Apostle said,A prostitute was forgiven by Allah,because passing by a panting dog near a well and seeing that the dog was about to die of thirst,she took off her shoe, and tying it with her head-cover she drew out some water for it.So,Allah forgave her because of that.
Also The Prophet was asked if acts of charity even to the animals were rewarded by God.He replied:Yes,there is a reward for acts of charity to every beast alive.(Narrated by Abu Huraira,Bukhari,3:322.Also Muslim, Vol. 4; Hadith No. 2244.).
So if a prostitute was forgiven because she rendered a service to a dog,then there's no sin rendering services to animals.
So rendering service to dogs isn't forbidden but keeping of dogs is forbidden except such dogs are meant security purposes.
Sahih Bukhari 3:515,Narrated Abu Huraira Allah's Apostle said:Whoever keeps a dog, one Qirat of the reward of his good deeds is deducted daily,unless the dog is used for guarding a farm or cattle.Abu Huraira (in another narration) said from the Prophet,unless it is used for guarding sheep or farms,or for hunting.

Narrated Abu Hazim from Abu Huraira: The Prophet said,A dog for guarding cattle or for hunting.
. And Allah knows best.....Peace

37 Likes

Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by tbaba1234: 3:26pm On Aug 27, 2013
You can keep a dog if it has a clearly defined purpose, like a security dog not just as a pet.

1 Like

Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by showietee: 4:23pm On Aug 27, 2013
hope dridowu has seen this thread?
Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by dridowu: 4:29pm On Aug 27, 2013
Jazakallah Khairan to you all
Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by laksides: 5:20pm On Aug 27, 2013
So far u give the dog proper care, avoid been dirty and eating harams
Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by iterator25: 5:21pm On Aug 27, 2013
lipsrsealed
Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by Nobody: 5:22pm On Aug 27, 2013
make e just be like say..

I WAS HERE.
Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by victorazy(m): 5:23pm On Aug 27, 2013
NO! He should keep cow & camel as no be God create dog and gave dem sense of humour

9 Likes

Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by Nokio1: 5:26pm On Aug 27, 2013
nothing like muslim vegetarian, wat will happen to all the suya, shaki,ngwongo and kilishi dat is waiting for them in aljanna?

1 Like

Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by mshd5: 5:28pm On Aug 27, 2013
Wel said by lanrexlan, jazakallahu khayran. Gud muslims shld nt be shame f truth, may Allah guides us.
Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by Dzany(m): 5:28pm On Aug 27, 2013
follow your heart (concience).......it will guide you.....

Time and circumstancies are not the same for every person!
Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by kunmibola(m): 5:32pm On Aug 27, 2013
lanrexlan: Being a vet Doctor isn't a sin because you are rending service to animals.We learnt in the hadith of our beloved prophet(pbuh).
Sahih Bukhari 4:538,Narrated Abu Huraira Allah's Apostle said,A prostitute was forgiven by Allah,because passing by a panting dog near a well and seeing that the dog was about to die of thirst,she took off her shoe, and tying it with her head-cover she drew out some water for it.So,Allah forgave her because of that.
Also The Prophet was asked if acts of charity even to the animals were rewarded by God.He replied:Yes,there is a reward for acts of charity to every beast alive.(Narrated by Abu Huraira,Bukhari,3:322.Also Muslim, Vol. 4; Hadith No. 2244.).
So if a prostitute was forgiven because she rendered a service to a dog,then there's no sin rendering services to animals.
So rendering service to dogs isn't forbidden but keeping of dogs is forbidden except such dogs are meant security purposes.
Sahih Bukhari 3:515,Narrated Abu Huraira Allah's Apostle said:Whoever keeps a dog, one Qirat of the reward of his good deeds is deducted daily,unless the dog is used for guarding a farm or cattle.Abu Huraira (in another narration) said from the Prophet,unless it is used for guarding sheep or farms,or for hunting.

Narrated Abu Hazim from Abu Huraira: The Prophet said,A dog for guarding cattle or for hunting.
. And Allah knows best.....Peace

May Almighty Allah bless you for this piece!

10 Likes

Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by oubi: 5:33pm On Aug 27, 2013
[size=14pt]ISLAM is enough concussion.[/size]
I no longer bother.

2 Likes

Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by Shehucom(m): 5:34pm On Aug 27, 2013
[quote author=maclatunji][/quote] from my little islamic knowledge, keeping a dog as pet is unislamic, however it is dutybound on you as a vet to treat dis dogs if need be. . Wa salamualaikum
Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by abu0710102013: 5:37pm On Aug 27, 2013
Pls dont say u are nt religious conscious , its a must to seek for islamic knowledge and practice them with the undetstanding. Treating of pets like dogs or even pigs are allowed in islam but domesticating them are nt allowed as reported in the above hadiths mentioned by one of our brother

3 Likes

Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by maclatunji: 5:38pm On Aug 27, 2013
Kindly stick to topic please ladies and gentlemen.

Thank you.
Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by emeraldlife: 5:42pm On Aug 27, 2013
keeping of dogs deducts your reward?? every religion with its own flaws. may God guide us to do His will.

2 Likes

Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by flowbjones(m): 5:44pm On Aug 27, 2013
flowbjones wuz ere......btw me love dogs.

1 Like

Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by netbrilliance(m): 5:45pm On Aug 27, 2013
Cross my fingers..as i read the comments
Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by kennyonthrone(m): 5:45pm On Aug 27, 2013
Xcuse me. Wanna learn sumtin fro dis,does it mean dat muslims dont kip dogs or wat? Jst curious

1 Like

Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by JaaizTech: 5:45pm On Aug 27, 2013
Being a Vet Doctor is a noble profession, that could attract a lot of rewards from Allah, if it is done with the right intentions. Taking care of animals is meritorious deed, that would attract rewards if done with the right intentions. As for keeping Dogs, it has to be for Halal reasons, security, walk dog, hunting etc. And you have to observe all the rules in dealing with Dogs e.g You can't pray with clothes touched by the Dog, you to have wash plates used by the Dog or anything its tongue touches severally before it can be used for personal use.
Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by Nobody: 5:50pm On Aug 27, 2013
I like the Abu Haira story! Niceee. I always learn something when I come to this section!!

Uncle Tunji, I de greet oº°˚!!
Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by Ayoobscom(m): 5:53pm On Aug 27, 2013
@lanrexlan has said it all..Jazakalahu khairan

Intuition is not only totally discouraged in Islam, it is as well punishable whether you were right or wrong.

Islam is a totalitarianism,a systems whereby all aspect of human life is clearly defined and governed by Qur'an and Hadith of d prophet saw

7 Likes

Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by abu0710102013: 5:55pm On Aug 27, 2013
@ kennyonthrone. If a muslim must keep dog(s), he/she must have a good reason for doin so e.g hunting, security, etc

2 Likes

Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by olanyte: 5:56pm On Aug 27, 2013
Nokio1: nothing like muslim vegetarian, wat will happen to all the suya, shaki,ngwongo and kilishi dat is waiting for them in aljanna?
bad response.
Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by dridowu: 6:00pm On Aug 27, 2013
May Allah reward You all
Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by teeawaii(f): 6:00pm On Aug 27, 2013
Well keepin dogs isnt prohibited,provided the dogs re kept in a cage and are not allowed to stray into your living room or anywhere close to where you observe your salat.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Martyrdom Of Imam Ali Ibn Abi Talib (as) In The Holy Month Of Ramadan / How Do Married Muslim Women Detect A Cheating Husband? / Did Muhammed Curse Muslims?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.