Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,667 members, 7,820,344 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:23 PM

Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? - Islam for Muslims (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? (14877 Views)

20 Signs Of Weak Iman (Faith) in a Muslim / How To Prove To A Christian That Jesus Was A Muslim? / She's A Christian,am A Muslim. Can This Marriage Work? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by olanyte: 6:00pm On Aug 27, 2013
Dzany: follow your heart (concience).......it will guide you.....

Time and circumstancies are not the same for every person!
not in islam.

1 Like

Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by chickso43(m): 6:05pm On Aug 27, 2013
Prohibition of Keeping a Dog except as a Watchdog or Hunting Dog:
Ibn `Umar (May Allah be pleased with them) said: The Messenger of Allah (صَلّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وسَلَّم) said, "He who keeps a dog other than one for guarding the fields or herds or hunting, will lose two Qirat every day out of his rewards."[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].
306/1688 - Riyad Us-Saliheen (Gardens of the Righteous)
Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by killuminati(m): 6:07pm On Aug 27, 2013
I love dogs, but I can't keep em... I'm a muslim.

Islam is a way of livingsmiley
Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by begwong: 6:16pm On Aug 27, 2013
how nice.even pigs can be treated by a muslim vet!
Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by Dharyhor: 6:21pm On Aug 27, 2013
As 4 islam evrytin u do must be based on evidence, One of our broda (lanrexlan) has said it right wit d evidences he gave
Domesticating dog is d one our prophet abstain us 4rm doing, bt being charity 2 dem is allowed nd even rewardful
Jazaakumulah khaira 4 d question, dis wil make d believers dat ar nt aware of it 2 be concious of it
Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by Fishout(m): 6:37pm On Aug 27, 2013
Allihammudulilahi that l am a muslim.for d writter,may Allah continue bless u abundantly .l learned a lot frm those who contributed.

1 Like

Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by albiol: 6:38pm On Aug 27, 2013
oubi: [size=14pt]Where islam is supposed to make laws, they make principle and vice versa causing confusion more and more.
Yerima was asked the yard stick for determining maturity of islam girls. He said when they reach puberty. So if a girl attains puberty at 9 that means she is matured.
Talking about dirty! Islam detest dirt and anything that has to do with dirt, their men even go the extra mile to look indecent by jumping their trousers just to avoid dirt.
Have any of you taken your time to view that portion where they usually wash their feet before prayers. Your observation is as good as mine.
[/size]
first of all ur issue on yerima I won't go there cos the issue has been dealt with considerably on this forum. Secondly talking about dirt thank God u said islam detest dirt if u now see a muslim dat is dirty that means he or she is not following one of the sunna (deeds and actions) of the prophet (SAW). And thirdly there is a difference btw islam and muslim. If u can get that u won't be confused anymore
Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by mu2sa2: 6:41pm On Aug 27, 2013
It is also permissible to keep dogs as a necessity e.g by a blind person, as guide; by a hunter, as a means of earning his livelihood.Allah is merciful towards us and there's always exception when necessity is involved. Allah knows best.
Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by Nik77: 6:54pm On Aug 27, 2013
tbaba1234: You can keep a dog if it has a clearly defined purpose, like a security dog not just as a pet.
A dog that is kept as a pet also has a clearly defined purpose (which is the clearly defined purpose of being a pet)

1 Like

Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by free2ryhme: 6:55pm On Aug 27, 2013
is keeping dogs against your religion

undecided
Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by Nik77: 7:05pm On Aug 27, 2013
Nokio1: nothing like muslim vegetarian, wat will happen to all the suya, shaki,ngwongo and kilishi dat is waiting for them in aljanna?
Not vegetarian but vet.
Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by Asabeq(f): 7:08pm On Aug 27, 2013
I hope you do same on a christian thread and warn your people too. Thanks
maclatunji: Kindly stick to topic please ladies and gentlemen.

Thank you.

3 Likes

Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by Nik77: 7:13pm On Aug 27, 2013
kennyonthrone: Xcuse me. Wanna learn sumtin fro dis,does it mean dat muslims dont kip dogs or wat? Jst curious
Unbelievable as it might sound 2 u, they don't.

1 Like

Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by tintingz(m): 7:20pm On Aug 27, 2013
Msgamble: Reward who exactly? Is it for qouting 'man formulate hadith' which shia,ahmadis etc discredited, back up ur claims with ur 'khalifas-written holy book' nt unsource or less approved write up by man lyk u..since Dog n Pig is dirty(as u claimed), why did ur allah created them or was it error in creating it?
You sha want to start unreasonable argument...

3 Likes

Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by Nobody: 7:22pm On Aug 27, 2013
Nokio1: nothing like muslim vegetarian, wat will happen to all the suya, shaki,ngwongo and kilishi dat is waiting for them in aljanna?
u sure u read d topic b4 jumping to comment?? It says veterinarian not vegetarian. undecided
Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by dridowu: 7:22pm On Aug 27, 2013
Msgamble: Reward who exactly? Is it for qouting 'man formulate hadith' which shia,ahmadis etc discredited, back up ur claims with ur 'khalifas-written holy book' nt unsource or less approved write up by man lyk u..since Dog n Pig is dirty(as u claimed), why did ur allah created them or was it error in creating it?
May Allah forgive you
Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by vedaxcool(m): 7:24pm On Aug 27, 2013
Interesting, as usual we can only ignore the adherents of the religion of love and turn the other cheek!

Islam a complete way of life, before people began talking of animal rights, Islam has already gave animal their due!

Ye are the best community that hath
been raised up for mankind. Ye enjoin
right conduct and forbid indecency; and
ye believe in Allah. And if the People of
the Scripture had believed it had been
better for them. Some of them are
believers; but most of them are evil-
livers

1 Like

Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by Anvaller: 7:28pm On Aug 27, 2013
[b]OP! OP!! OP!!! How many times did I call u? Please Make Sure that U Read This

Pls listen and listen good, u simply can keep a dog as a Muslim. There is nothing inherently indicative of not keeping a dog in ur home or anywhere even from the hadith that some guys have quoted here just think about God's words and logic. Are u weak on logic? I am fed up of how Muslims just do not have a common sense understanding of their religion. All they do is keep asking ppl as if Islam is a secret that they can't learn by themselves.

If u do not understand what I mean by logic and common sense, I will explain as follows:

1) U have been taught here that u can keep dog as hound dog but not as a pet
(This instruction does not make any sense because anyone's hound dog is that person's pet)

2) Some more lenient instruction here told u that u can keep dog as a pet but only that u don't allow them to touch u, because then u can not pray with the clothes they have touched
(Well this doesn't make sense too because how would u keep an animal like dog as a pet without having contact with it? God knows that fact for sure and he wouldn't put u in an unnecessary predicament)

Now, Lets look at some of the verses in the Quran where God says some things about Dogs?

1) In Suratul Kaf verse 13, God described the Dwellers of the Cave as "good believers" and then further along the line of the narration at verse 18, God tells us that they "The Good Believers" had their Dogs with them.

Analysis- The dwellers of the cave must have been dog lovers and or fanatics as a group of ppl and it must have been that the majority had their dogs with them otherwise, there wouldn't have been any reason for the emphasis "they had their dogs" in the revelation.
If having a dog is even a bit of a problem, prohibited or dirty, how come were the dwellers of the cave "good believers" and they had their dirty dogs?

2) In Surah Al Maidah verse 4, God Almighty categorically permitted us to eat animals that has been hunted down by our dogs
Analysis- A dog runs after a prey, kills it with its mouth, carries it with the same mouth for a distance that may stretch up to a kilometer back home, happily with its mouth watering (salivating) and tail wagging out of excitement.
Now God says u may eat that prey, it is lawful. If a dog is dirty, and they should be avoided because we should not have contact with their mouth or saliva otherwise we are unclean and can not even pray with a cloth they merely touched, How then can we eat a prey killed by the same dirty gog with their unholy mouth full of evil saliva?

3) The Quran contains a very important rule for all believers, and the rule is:

Nothing is haram (unlawful) unless it is prohibited by God Himself, and since God describes the Quran as complete, perfect and fully detailed, thus all the prohibitions decreed by God are found in the Quran.

If I continue with this topic, I may end up writing the volume of a book and its never my intention to do so. So in conclusion, keeping a dog is not prohibited in Islam U MAY KEEP A DOG IF U WANT. The Islamic school of thought that prohibits keeping dogs for Muslims in my opinion are actually committing a sin because God categorically stated that no one has the authority to prohibit what he the Almighty in his infinite mercy has never prohibited for mankind.

U would observe that those who are are telling u to keep off dogs are quoting the Hadith... Well that is where the problem is. Any hadith that contradicts the direction of God's revelation or apparent intent in the Quran is not advisable and u know why? because the instructions in a Hadith can never overwrite the God's revelation in the Quran. It can only agree with it or corroborate it. I have tried my best and now it is left for u to make rational decisions with ur own discretion.

May God Help us all!

and PS! Thanks for reading this long post.[/b]

11 Likes

Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by abduldope(m): 7:31pm On Aug 27, 2013
i once heard a tafsir by shaik jaFaR adam Kano abt Keepin DOG as pet n he did nt mention anytn HaRAM abt it
Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by albiol: 7:35pm On Aug 27, 2013
ALLAH (GOD) also created the devil does than make him good
Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by lanrexlan(m): 7:38pm On Aug 27, 2013
This guy needs brain check-up seriously.Do you know the story of people of the cave?

3 Likes

Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by PENMIGHT(m): 7:50pm On Aug 27, 2013
Anvaller: [b]OP! OP!! OP!!! How many times did I call u? Please Make Sure that U Read This

Pls listen and listen good, u simply can keep a dog as a Muslim. There is nothing inherently indicative of not keeping a dog in ur home or anywhere even from the hadith that some guys have quoted here just think about God's words and logic. Are u weak on logic? I am fed up of how Muslims just do not have a common sense understanding of their religion. All they do is keep asking ppl as if Islam is a secret that they can't learn by themselves.

If u do not understand what I mean by logic and common sense, I will explain as follows:

(This instruction does not make any sense because anyone's hound dog is that person's pet)

2) Some more lenient instruction here told u that u can keep dog as a pet but only that u don't allow them to touch u, because then u can not pray with the clothes they have touched
(Well this doesn't make sense too because how would u keep an animal like dog as a pet without having contact with it? God knows that fact for sure and he wouldn't put u in an unnecessary predicament)

Now, Lets look at some of the verses in the Quran where God says some things about Dogs?

1) In Suratul Kaf verse 13, God described the Dwellers of the Cave as "good believers" and then further along the line of the narration at verse 18, God tells us that they "The Good Believers" had their Dogs with them.

Analysis- The dwellers of the cave must have been dog lovers and or fanatics as a group of ppl and it must have been that the majority had their dogs with them otherwise, there wouldn't have been any reason for the emphasis "they had their dogs" in the revelation.
If having a dog is even a bit of a problem, prohibited or dirty, how come were the dwellers of the cave "good believers" and they had their dirty dogs?

2) In Surah Al Maidah verse 4, God Almighty categorically permitted us to eat animals that has been hunted down by our dogs
Analysis- A dog runs after a prey, kills it with its mouth, carries it with the same mouth for a distance that may stretch up to a kilometer back home, happily with its mouth watering (salivating) and tail wagging out of excitement.
Now God says u may eat that prey, it is lawful. If a dog is dirty, and they should be avoided because we should not have contact with their mouth or saliva otherwise we are unclean and can not even pray with a cloth they merely touched, How then can we eat a prey killed by the same dirty gog with their unholy mouth full of evil saliva?

Nothing is haram (unlawful) unless it is prohibited by God Himself, and since God describes the Quran as complete, perfect and fully detailed, thus all the prohibitions decreed by God are found in the Quran.

If I continue with this topic, I may end up writing the volume of a book and its never my intention to do so. So in conclusion, keeping a dog is not prohibited in Islam U MAY KEEP A DOG IF U WANT. The Islamic school of thought that prohibits keeping dogs for Muslims in my opinion are actually committing a sin because God categorically stated that no one has the authority to prohibit what he the Almighty in his infinite mercy has never prohibited for mankind.

U would observe that those who are are telling u to keep off dogs are quoting the Hadith... Well that is where the problem is. Any hadith that contradicts the direction of God's revelation or apparent intent in the Quran is not advisable and u know why? because the instructions in a Hadith can never overwrite the God's revelation in the Quran. It can only agree with it or corroborate it. I have tried my best and now it is left for u to make rational decisions with ur own discretion.

May God Help us all!

Islam is not Irrational but islam is not justified by rational.
And those who seek to rationalize everything Islam are kindred of Shaitan.

He was asked why he refused to bow to Adam? He said " I am better than him, You created me from fire while You created him(adam) from clay". Thus, his disobedience was premised on pride,arrogance that, material engineering wise, fire is superior to clay. He was a rationalist. And he was lost.

Were Islam to be based on rational, The Messenger would have wiped underneath is feet and not the top.

At the presentation of evidences from Quran and Sunnah fron our Dear Brother Lanrexlan, it beholves us as muslim not to contend a glaring age-long ,textually-backed evidences from the Quran.

Your argument about the people of the Cave and the Ayah of Maidah vs 4 was clearly misinterpreted.

You have not presented any Hadith expalining such Ayahs like that. Neither have you presennted any Tafsir explaining such verses like that. NO KNOWN SCHOLAR AS EVER MIS-INTERPRETED THOSE VERSES LIKE THAT.

In Suratul Bujuj, Allah described an incidence that happened. What happened? Some people were set ablazed. Allaah refered to these people as believers. Since you justified keeping dogs cos the people of the Cave kept dog and they were called believers, I believe you can justify setting yourself ablaze too since the the people burnt in the ditch too were believers!!!

" Ask the people of knowledge if you do not know"

Please seek the right knowledge, not according to your limited understanding but according to the Quran,as Interpreted by Authethic Hadiths and as Understood by the Sahabahs.

May Allaah guide us all.

5 Likes

Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by Vetsolo(m): 8:00pm On Aug 27, 2013
first u choose to be a vet it never choose u u swore to protect dem so wot else look u can keep a dragon it wunt take u to heaven so d questn is are u a gud person else amend ur ways do and do ur job
Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by OneOpinion: 8:07pm On Aug 27, 2013
[quote author=Msgamble] Reward who exactly? Is it for qouting 'man formulate hadith' which shia,ahmadis etc discredited, back up ur claims with ur 'khalifas-written holy book' nt unsource or less approved write up by man lyk u..since Dog n Pig is dirty(as u claimed), why did ur allah created them or was it error in cte]

I honestly dont like sounding this way....
As much as u ve pointed out that not every sect agrees with the hadith,fine but debunking what others follow will amount to crossing my personal red line......but for the mood of the trend i refuse to get offensive

The Prophet (swt) said he left behind for us two things The Quran and The Hadith.
All thanks to the said khalifas that have availed us the opportunity to access what the prophet left behind.

Its left for anybody to follow the source of hadith he believes in

And to question Gods doings....thats Blasphemy...am not the one that will reprimand you for that...Allah is all knowing

n:b there is no such thing as **why did he created** the d was very much needless in the last word.
Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by JaaizTech: 8:40pm On Aug 27, 2013
Mintayo: I believe the real question anyone should ask is,why would allah ask a muslim not to keep dog for whatever reason?
Is it because dogs are dirty?
Didnt allah know that dogs are dirty before he created them?
But are dogs the only dirty animals? What about goats? Sheeps? Rams?
I think there is more to this than just being dirty!
http://www.nairaland.com

I will assume you are making a sincere inquiry. To help you answer the question, I will make a similitude of the situation with the story of Adam(AS); Allah created the Apple tree that He told Adam not to eat from, but yet He commanded him not to eat from it... He ate from it and the consequence we all know... Similarly Allah created the Pig, Dog etc and if in his wisdom forbids us to deal with them in certain ways, then it is only smart for us to adhere to his warnings, because our knowledge is incomparable to HIS.

3 Likes

Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by 3nairalandcom: 8:45pm On Aug 27, 2013
2PAC ;Actually I am a Quranic Islamist who does not join hadith in my believe thus Allah made mention of dog in suratul Khaafi and if keeping dogs is religiously bad,He would have mention it their or else where in the Quran.
Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by JaaizTech: 8:49pm On Aug 27, 2013
Anvaller: [b]OP! OP!! OP!!! How many times did I call u? Please Make Sure that U Read This

May God Help us all!

Curled from Islamqa:
What is the ruling on raising dogs in the house?.

Praise be to Allaah.
Firstly:

It is not permissible for a Muslim to keep a dog, unless he needs this dog for hunting, guarding livestock or guarding crops.

Al-Bukhaari (2145) narrated that Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever keeps a dog, a qiraat from his good deeds will be deducted every day, except a dog for farming or herding livestock.”

Muslim (2978) narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever keeps a dog that is not a dog for hunting, herding livestock or farming, two qiraats will be deducted from his reward each day.”

Muslim (2943) narrated from ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever keeps a dog, except a dog for herding livestock or a dog for hunting, a qiraat will be deducted from his good deeds each day.” ‘Abd-Allaah said: Abu Hurayrah said: Or a dog for farming.

Ibn ‘Abd al-Barr said: This hadeeth shows that it is permissible to keep a dog for hunting and herding livestock, and also for farming.

Ibn Maajah (3640) narrated from ‘Ali ibn Abi Taalib (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The angels do not enter a house in which there is a dog or an image.” Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Ibn Maajah.

These ahaadeeth indicate that it is haraam to keep a dog, except for those which were exempted by the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

The scholars differed as to how to reconcile between the reports which speak of one qiraat being deducted and those which speak of two qiraats being deducted.

It was said that two qiraats will be deducted if the dog is more harmful and one qiraat will be deducted if it is less so.

And it was said that that at first the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said that one qiraat would be deducted, then the punishment was increased after that, so he said that two qiraats would be deducted in order to put people off from keeping dogs even more.

The qiraat is an amount that is known to Allaah, may He be exalted, and what is meant is that some of the reward for a person’s good deeds will be deducted.

See Sharh Muslim by al-Nawawi, 10/342; Fath al-Baari, 5/9

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said in Sharh Riyaadh al-Saaliheen, 4/241:

With regard to keeping dogs, this is haraam and is in fact a major sin, because the one who keeps a dog, except those for which an exception has been made, will have two qiraats deducted from his reward every day.

It is by the wisdom of Allaah that like calls to like and evil calls to evil. It is said that the kaafirs, Jews, Christians and communists in the east and the west all keep dogs, Allaah forbid. Each one takes his dog with him and cleans it every day with soap and other cleansing agents. But even if he were to clean it with the water of all the seas in the world and all the soap in the world, it would never become pure! Because its impurity is inherent, and inherent impurity cannot be cleansed except by destroying it and erasing it altogether.

But this is by the wisdom of Allaah, and the wisdom of Allaah is that like calls to like and evil calls to Shaytaan because this kufr of theirs is by the inspiration of the Shaytaan and the command of the Shaytaan, for the Shaytaan enjoins evil, immorality, kufr and misguidance. So they are slaves to the Shaytaan and to their whims and desires, and they are also evil and love vile things. We ask Allaah to guide us and them. End quote.

Secondly:

Is it permissible to keep dogs to guard houses?

Answer:

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) made only three exceptions to the prohibition on keeping dogs: hunting, guarding livestock and guarding crops.

Some scholars are of the view that it is not permissible to keep a dog for any reason other than these three. Others are of the view that it is permissible to draw analogies between these three and similar or more likely cases, such as guarding houses, because if it is permissible to keep dogs to guard livestock and crops, it is more appropriate that it should be permissible to keep dogs to guard houses.

Al-Nawawi said in Sharh Muslim (10/340):

Is it permissible to keep a dog to guard houses, alleys and the like? There are two points of view. The first is that it is not permissible, because of the apparent meaning of the ahaadeeth, which clearly state that keeping dogs is forbidden except for farming, hunting and herding. The more correct view is that it is permissible, by analogy with those three cases, knowing that the reason that is understood from the ahaadeeth is necessity. End quote.

The view that was classed as saheeh by al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him), that keeping a dog to guard the house is permissible, was also classed as saheeh by Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) in Sharh Saheeh Muslim. He said:

The correct view is that it is permissible to keep a dog to guard the house, because if it is permissible to keep a dog in order to benefit from it, as in the case of hunting, it is more appropriate that one be allowed to keep a dog in order to ward off harm and protect oneself.

End quote.

Islam Q&A
Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by Wateron: 8:51pm On Aug 27, 2013
victorazy: NO! He should keep cow & camel as no be God create dog and gave dem sense of humour

Senseless
Re: Can A Muslim Veterinarian Keep Dogs? by Mintayo(m): 8:57pm On Aug 27, 2013
JaaizTech:

I will assume you are making a sincere inquiry. To help you answer the question, I will make a similitude of the situation with the story of Adam(AS); Allah created the Apple tree that He told Adam not to eat from, but yet He commanded him not to eat from it... He ate from it and the consequence we all know... Similarly Allah created the Pig, Dog etc and if in his wisdom forbids us to deal with them in certain ways, then it is only smart for us to adhere to his warnings, because our knowledge is incomparable to HIS.

well,now,are dogs the only dirty animals? What about goats? Sheeps?
Are you really sure being dirty was the reason allah gave for not keeping dogs?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Martyrdom Of Imam Ali Ibn Abi Talib (as) In The Holy Month Of Ramadan / She Made Love To Me (In Ramadam Kareem) / Why Didn't Allah Enjoin Muslims To Love One Another As Jesus Did ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.