Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,247 members, 7,822,273 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:18 AM

A Nairalander's Remote Controlled Aircraft And SUAVS - Science/Technology (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / A Nairalander's Remote Controlled Aircraft And SUAVS (37735 Views)

Photos: Aircraft Construction A-Z. / Made In Nigeria Remote Control Aircraft / Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Nairalander's Remote Controlled Aircraft And SUAVS by Pakingzzz(m): 8:11am On Aug 30, 2013
Good day. Please does your airplane uses model jet engine,or model turboprop?
Re: A Nairalander's Remote Controlled Aircraft And SUAVS by Sidajili: 1:10pm On Aug 30, 2013
@Pakingzzz

Turbines made by Kingtech, Taiwan. Uses Kerosene.
Re: A Nairalander's Remote Controlled Aircraft And SUAVS by Sidajili: 1:41pm On Aug 30, 2013
megadeath: Bro, 3 of my cosmates in the Airforce were selected as the pioneer students of this project. I know all about this. They are trained in both NAF Base Kaduna and Benin. No nairalander built this. Those planes were bought.

I keep reading my opening post over and over again to see if I was clear enough... AGAIN, AGAIN, AND AGAIN:

"Any Nairalander out there building and flying RC rotary or fixed wing Aircraft models of any scale? Lets discuss and get this thread going".

That's a simple question, followed by a humble request to start a discussion. I checked again... I wrote in English and not my language grin. Interested Nairalanders who take time to read have responded on point. Like most threads in NL, 4 Pages have been wasted by others derailing the topic.

@megadeath:

This thread is NOT about the NAF. And perhaps, you can just mention my name to the Pioneer Students who are your course mate. They will introduce me better.

I humbly ask anyone bumping in and not interested in Remote Controlled Aircraft Hobby to kindly move on to another topic of interest.

And again, if you are out there scratch building, assembling, designing, researching in anything that flies or related to RC, lets continue discussing. If you develop autopilot software and are into neural networks, I am interested in meeting you. If you are into robotics or use anything with servos, am looking for you. If you are an electronic engineer with good knowledge of RF and satellite communications, you are the One. If you understand composite materials and know about molds, lets talk. If you are familiar with 2 or 4 stroke gas/petrol engines, you are the one. If you are into photography and video editing lets discuss. If you understand aircraft structures and aerodynamics, lets talk.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Remote Controlled Aircraft And SUAVS by Sidajili: 1:54pm On Aug 30, 2013
mikijagga: Sidajili is my friend and I know he has been working onthis tech for a while. Sunny, when you hit PH, pls reach me. All the best and keep up the good work!!

Hi Mikijagga.... Kindly PM me please. Trying to reach you...
Re: A Nairalander's Remote Controlled Aircraft And SUAVS by Pakingzzz(m): 11:43pm On Aug 30, 2013
@Sidajili

Does this Kingtech Turbine uses a motor for startup,or do you use compressed air? Also, do you use an arduino to control the Turbine? (things like startup,low throttle,idle throttle,cruise throttle, EGT,compressor inlet pressure,Turbine pressure,Combustion chamber temp,RPM,Fuel flow etc)? Or does it come with a pre-installed micro processor that does the job of engine control?
Re: A Nairalander's Remote Controlled Aircraft And SUAVS by udefrancis: 8:22am On Aug 31, 2013
Sidajili: @Udefrancis:

You mentioned needing 4x40Amp ESC, 4x800kv out runner BLM.
A little more light on design specs and what you want to achieve will help the discussion. I am assuming 1.5kg max take off weight with your camera payload inclusive. how did you come up with the KV of the motor chosen? The resultant RPM from each rotor is the product of the KV and voltage to the motor (Ideal situation, rpm=kv*v). Due to back emf and prop load, rpm will always be less than the ideal case. Your rpm is determined by battery voltage, motor kv and selected prop; all ultimately determining the torque and thrust generated by each rotor. Your ESC's amps is chosen based on the watts generated (I=P/V, with I overrated to accommodate peaks) by each rotor. You have set your take off weight to 1.5kg, and your ESC, motors, props, batteries and payload must be chosen to fit this. I want to know what quad controller you chose. Also try looking into the open source Arduino autopilot - http://ardupilot.com

Per the parts you want, I might be able to help you as I have some motors and ESCs lying around somewhere.

Also, you can start a dedicated thread for your quad and we will go there to support your work.
Re: A Nairalander's Remote Controlled Aircraft And SUAVS by andico34: 1:42pm On Sep 01, 2013
hi sidajili am interested in rc flights. pls email me at andylandinvestments@gmail.com with your phone contacts so that we can meet in abuja. thanks a lot
Re: A Nairalander's Remote Controlled Aircraft And SUAVS by udefrancis: 10:27pm On Sep 01, 2013
hello sidajili, how can I get those esc and motors? this is my mail, inbox me your phone number I an in kaduna udefrancis22@yahoo.com , thanks
Re: A Nairalander's Remote Controlled Aircraft And SUAVS by Pakingzzz(m): 11:31pm On Sep 01, 2013
@ Sidajili
U seem to have a wide grasp of knowledge. so diverse in nature.
Give that man a medal. shocked

Re: A Nairalander's Remote Controlled Aircraft And SUAVS by Sidajili: 2:30am On Sep 02, 2013
Pakingzzz: @Sidajili

Does this Kingtech Turbine uses a motor for startup,or do you use compressed air? Also, do you use an arduino to control the Turbine? (things like startup,low throttle,idle throttle,cruise throttle, EGT,compressor inlet pressure,Turbine pressure,Combustion chamber temp,RPM,Fuel flow etc)? Or does it come with a pre-installed micro processor that does the job of engine control?

@Pakingzzz: Take some time and check these out..

Watch this youtube video: Inside a turbine RC Jet - Jet World Masters 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4LjL9Ga62s

And read this page: How An RC Model Jet Engine (Turbine) Works - RC Airplane World

http://www.rc-airplane-world.com/model-jet-engine.html

Am sure these resources will answer your questions. I would recommend RC Airplane world as a good start (Many others exists) for anyone starting RC.
Re: A Nairalander's Remote Controlled Aircraft And SUAVS by Sidajili: 2:31am On Sep 02, 2013
udefrancis: hello sidajili, how can I get those esc and motors? this is my mail, inbox me your phone number I an in kaduna udefrancis22@yahoo.com , thanks

In Kaduna? will send you my number. call me.
Re: A Nairalander's Remote Controlled Aircraft And SUAVS by Sidajili: 2:32am On Sep 02, 2013
andico34: hi sidajili am interested in rc flights. pls email me at andylandinvestments@gmail.com with your phone contacts so that we can meet in abuja. thanks a lot

Sent.
Re: A Nairalander's Remote Controlled Aircraft And SUAVS by Sidajili: 2:41am On Sep 02, 2013
will soon be posting videos of flights of the Skymaster F-16 and Composite-arf Ultra Lightning once edits are complete...
Re: A Nairalander's Remote Controlled Aircraft And SUAVS by Sidajili: 1:34pm On Sep 02, 2013
Sidajili: will soon be posting videos of flights of the Skymaster F-16 and Composite-arf Ultra Lightning once edits are complete...

Ok, here we go... hope you enjoy the videos.
The F-16 flew really scale and nice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSR6-Zi4tXg

and having a feel of the G's and maneuvers with a GoPro camera on board the Ultra Lightning is just fascinating..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3dJk7P2pd8
Re: A Nairalander's Remote Controlled Aircraft And SUAVS by Wallie(m): 12:53am On Sep 03, 2013
Sidajili:

Ok, here we go... hope you enjoy the videos.
The F-16 flew really scale and nice

and having a feel of the G's and maneuvers with a GoPro camera on board the Ultra Lightning is just fascinating..

The pro guy on the stick is nice! What's the (1) endurance, (2) max speed and (3) max payload possible? It seems you guys have unfettered access to an airstrip? Nice! If I have the same access, I'll be going for altitude (optics limited) and endurance.
Re: A Nairalander's Remote Controlled Aircraft And SUAVS by Pakingzzz(m): 11:26am On Sep 05, 2013
Quite some breathtaking flights. The pilot sure has a way with his joysticks. What with all those spins!.. Its real awesome.
Re: A Nairalander's Remote Controlled Aircraft And SUAVS by Pakingzzz(m): 12:06pm On Sep 05, 2013
I sent you an email. Please can you check it out?

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Remote Controlled Aircraft And SUAVS by Sidajili: 2:30pm On Sep 05, 2013
Pakingzzz: I sent you an email. Please can you check it out?

Received. Don't worry... will treat as requested. Just a little busy at the moment. Talk to me Saturday Morning.
Re: A Nairalander's Remote Controlled Aircraft And SUAVS by Sidajili: 2:37pm On Sep 05, 2013
Wallie:

The pro guy on the stick is nice! What's the (1) endurance, (2) max speed and (3) max payload possible? It seems you guys have unfettered access to an airstrip? Nice! If I have the same access, I'll be going for altitude (optics limited) and endurance.

Yep... he is pro... won a couple of medals in RC Jet competition in the past. Those Jets' turbines are Kero thirsty and 3 liters usually burn out in about in about 10 minutes of flight. The Jets aren't designed for payloads of reasonable interests. They can hit top speeds of 250-300km/h and are just for sports, leisure, airshows and demos. The speeds are just exhilarating and adrenalin pumping.
Re: A Nairalander's Remote Controlled Aircraft And SUAVS by Wallie(m): 4:55pm On Sep 05, 2013
Sidajili:

Yep... he is pro... won a couple of medals in RC Jet competition in the past. Those Jets' turbines are Kero thirsty and 3 liters usually burn out in about in about 10 minutes of flight. The Jets aren't designed for payloads of reasonable interests. They can hit top speeds of 250-300km/h and are just for sports, leisure, airshows and demos. The speeds are just exhilarating and adrenalin pumping.

Wow!! With EPO foam, one would need reinforcements to get above 110km/h and even then, the wings will flutter like crazy!
Re: A Nairalander's Remote Controlled Aircraft And SUAVS by Sidajili: 7:44pm On Sep 05, 2013
Wallie:

Wow!! With EPO foam, one would need reinforcements to get above 110km/h and even then, the wings will flutter like crazy!

True... that's why these high speed models are built out of composite materials.
Re: A Nairalander's Remote Controlled Aircraft And SUAVS by wasspord: 4:13am On Sep 07, 2013
Re: A Nairalander's Remote Controlled Aircraft And SUAVS by Pakingzzz(m): 3:19pm On Sep 10, 2013
@ Sidajili

Tanks for your tips about using fiberglass and avoiding metals. I was later to learn that even aluminium was more heavier than fiberglass.
Based on your suggestions. I did a complete strip down of the heli. Then i replaced all the parts with fiberglass and Styrofoam..
. After the mod. i noticed an eighty grams reduction in weight.
Here's the new look.....

Re: A Nairalander's Remote Controlled Aircraft And SUAVS by Pakingzzz(m): 5:06pm On Sep 10, 2013
@Sidajili
Here's the heli and the old Tx,still awaiting your Dsm Tx/Rx.
Pls make things happen.

Re: A Nairalander's Remote Controlled Aircraft And SUAVS by Damipac: 2:54am On Nov 06, 2013
Sidajili: will soon be posting videos of flights of the Skymaster F-16 and Composite-arf Ultra Lightning once edits are complete...

Hello sidajili, am happy I found folks who are into rc's. I fly mostly edf jets, although I have been looking for a decent field in Lagos to fly my planes. Here's my mail damipac@yahoo.com, try and mail let's see how possibly we can hook up. Thanks
Re: A Nairalander's Remote Controlled Aircraft And SUAVS by Sidajili: 12:24pm On Nov 19, 2013
Damipac:

Hello sidajili, am happy I found folks who are into rc's. I fly mostly edf jets, although I have been looking for a decent field in Lagos to fly my planes. Here's my mail damipac@yahoo.com, try and mail let's see how possibly we can hook up. Thanks

Awesome! Contacting you shortly.
Re: A Nairalander's Remote Controlled Aircraft And SUAVS by Jakumo(m): 12:51pm On Dec 20, 2013
Holy Toledo, Sadjili. Those are some seriously expensive RC jets. For them to be turbine powered, somebody with incredible RC know-how is clearly involved in getting those beauties airborne, and cost was clearly no object with that project. Correct me if I am wrong, but somebody shelled out the cash for an asphalt RC jet runway over there in Abuja. I smell the aroma of BIG bucks, and I DEMAND that y'all hire me as a fleet chauffeur with special RC flying privileges, right away.

You guys are making history, since you are the very first to send turbine-powered RC birds aloft in Nigerian skies, so it is little wonder that the Nigerian Airforce reached out to you for expertise in their budding UAV program. All the best with that, and do post whatever videos you can of that project as it evolves over the coming months and years.

Hats off to you, my brother. While our paths may never cross due to your location, I definitely share your passion for operating flying machines, with my concurrent RC obsessions at the moment being the low-budget Walkera V450D03 collective-pitch helicopter that I fly slow and steady scale-style, an even cheaper coax heli that videotapes high-resolution panoramas from truly astonishing heights, and finally my hand-launched Bixler2 powered glider for FPV adventures.
Re: A Nairalander's Remote Controlled Aircraft And SUAVS by Sidajili: 11:54pm On Dec 22, 2013
Jakumo: Holy Toledo, Sadjili. Those are some seriously expensive RC jets. For them to be turbine powered, somebody with incredible RC know-how is clearly involved in getting those beauties airborne, and cost was clearly no object with that project. Correct me if I am wrong, but somebody shelled out the cash for an asphalt RC jet runway over there in Abuja. I smell the aroma of BIG bucks, and I DEMAND that y'all hire me as a fleet chauffeur with special RC flying privileges, right away.

You guys are making history, since you are the very first to send turbine-powered RC birds aloft in Nigerian skies, so it is little wonder that the Nigerian Airforce reached out to you for expertise in their budding UAV program. All the best with that, and do post whatever videos you can of that project as it evolves over the coming months and years.

Hats off to you, my brother. While our paths may never cross due to your location, I definitely share your passion for operating flying machines, with my concurrent RC obsessions at the moment being the low-budget Walkera V450D03 collective-pitch helicopter that I fly slow and steady scale-style, an even cheaper coax heli that videotapes high-resolution panoramas from truly astonishing heights, and finally my hand-launched Bixler2 powered glider for FPV adventures.

@Jakumo

Many thanks my bro... there's quite some interesting things i need to show you... hook up anytime you are in Abuja... you might not want to go back after seeing the various hangers here... smiley wink

We do have a very organized RC Club in Abuja. You will find virtually any type of aircraft here, gas engines, turbines, electrics, gliders, scale, scratch builds, kit builds and so on... I started this thread to get interested Nairalanders together and enjoy this rewarding hobby....but it was all cut short by unbelief and distraction... If NL creates a dedicated RC Hobby section, I will probably resume again. PM me lets talk more often or discuss RC stuff with me on Flyinggiants, RCUniverse or RCGroups... same handle - sidajili
Re: A Nairalander's Remote Controlled Aircraft And SUAVS by Jakumo(m): 4:03pm On Dec 23, 2013
Wow, that is really amazing to hear that an RC flying club already exists in Abuja, Sidajili. In general, my observation of Nigerian culture has been that pursuits like tinkering with RC models would be looked down upon and ignored by just about everyone who could afford to dabble in the hobby, but now, your reports here in this forum show that this particular generalization is no longer valid.

One of these days when my wanderings take me to Abuja, I will send you an email for sure, in the hopes that I might get to see the Abuja RC club take to the air. It is good to hear that you visit the RCGroups website, which I noticed was blocked with an "Access Denied" message, to Nigerian IP addresses starting a few months back. The far less busy website you mentioned, RC Universe, remains open to all viewers, but that may change too, in time. Thank goodness for Plan B, available for use when in Nigeria ha ha.

Interestingly, Google Earth is another website whose access is blocked to Nigerian IP addresses, evidently because there is a perception that Nigerians have no business looking at satellite imagery, even if those images are of their own country. Anyway, enough of my ranting about the subtle Internet Apartheid that seems to have become more prevasive over the past few years, bearing in mind that the activities of Nigeria's criminal element inevitably get everyone else who so much as visits the continent tarred with the same brush.

I hope as well that in time Oga Seun permits the Nairaland forum to run a dedicated forum for RC hobbies, be they planes, boats or cars. You guys are bold and innovative pioneers who will undoubtedly inspire a new generation of young Nigerian RC fliers to discover and then gradually begin to excel in this unique and challenging marriage of electronics, aerodymanics, miniaturized mechanical engineering, and aerial photography. It is good to see that the ignorant negative comments blurted out by some readers in this forum have not dampened your enthusiasm for introducing this highly rewarding field to both the military and to civilians.

I wish you and yours a merry Xmas, followed by a new year blessed with blue skies, smooth landings and unlimited success in all endeavors.
Re: A Nairalander's Remote Controlled Aircraft And SUAVS by Lancier(m): 6:36pm On Oct 17, 2014
Are there any RC enthusiasts who own RC planes or cars living in Lagos or environs? Then let's be known and get together. We want kick off our RC Club in Lagos. You can reach me on lancier224@yahoo.com.
Re: A Nairalander's Remote Controlled Aircraft And SUAVS by Nobody: 12:22pm On Dec 20, 2015
tnktosin:

Lol @the African law. I know a friend here in delta state who build his planes from the scratch, but that will be a different thread as i'm trying to upload the video of him flying it on youtube. He's been into the RCs since he was a kid, too bad he never furthered his education.
I got my RC plane on order, wifey self no send, bleep the African law.
please how did you get yours, I want to place an order too, is it from a Nigerian store?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Boy In Gombe Constructs NNPC Fuel Tanker Model With Local Materials (Photos) / Picture : Male And Female Civet Cat Killed At The Back Of My House / China Unveils World’s First AI Robot News Presenter. (PICS And VIDEO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.