Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,510 members, 7,770,303 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 08:53 AM

Foods You Should Eat With The Peel On - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Foods You Should Eat With The Peel On (38131 Views)

10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die / some Cancer Causing Foods You Probably Eat Every Day / Dont Peel-off Yam Skin Before Cooking, Dietician Advises (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Foods You Should Eat With The Peel On by Nobody: 9:28am On Aug 28, 2013
We don’t often think about this, but just like us, plants also have to combat environmental stress. To protect themselves from the constant onslaught of the elements, they concentrate most of their healing compounds and substances on their topmost layer, kind of like how humans build fortresses to keep the enemy out.

And yet, we regularly discard the peels and skins of whole foods, not realizing how beneficial they can be for us. The next time you eat these four foods, keep the peel on.

Almonds: Next time you buy almonds, don’t go for the slivered variety. The brown skin of almonds promotes good bacteria in the gut, thus helping the digestive process. A study published in the Journal of Nutrition reports that the skin of almond has essential flavonoids that combine with the Vitamin E in the meat of the nut to deliver powerful cholesterol lowering benefits. When you eat an almond without the skin, the nut’s LDL-reducing power is diminished.

Citrus Fruit: Grate organic orange zest onto desserts. Try some lemon zest in your pasta. Let the grated skin of grapefruit add flavor to your salads. Orange peel covered in dark chocolate is not only delicious but good for you. That’s because the skin of citrus fruit contains about four times more fiber than the fruit itself. Furthermore, a 2003 study on the benefits of orange peel observed that it contains a natural compound that can fight cancer.

Apples: The deeper you cut into an apple, the fewer nutrients you are going to get. Put away the peeler, and enjoy the fruit, whole. Studies have shown that apple peel can lower bad cholesterol and reduce other blood fats, thus protecting you from heart disease, obesity and diabetes. The peel also nourishes muscles, preventing muscle atrophy in the late years of life.

Onions: This is a surprising one for many of us, but research studies have shown that onion skins contain powerful health-boosting flavonoids, anti-inflammatory substances and antioxidants. Simmer your soups with onions, skin and all. When the soup is done, you can discard the outer layer of the onion, but you will have reaped some of its health benefits.

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/4-common-foods-you-should-eat-with-the-peel-on.html

2 Likes

Re: Foods You Should Eat With The Peel On by weazley(m): 9:34am On Aug 28, 2013
oh dont forget pineapple too gringringrin

52 Likes

Re: Foods You Should Eat With The Peel On by Nobody: 9:36am On Aug 28, 2013
weazley: oh dont forget pineapple too gringringrin
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Foods You Should Eat With The Peel On by Caracta(f): 9:40am On Aug 28, 2013
And watermelon...

And banana... grin

And yams... grin

Onions? Seriously? shocked

12 Likes

Re: Foods You Should Eat With The Peel On by Nobody: 9:43am On Aug 28, 2013
weazley: oh dont forget pineapple too gringringrin
you try that out and tell me the outcome wink

4 Likes

Re: Foods You Should Eat With The Peel On by Nobody: 9:46am On Aug 28, 2013
Caracta: And watermelon...

And banana... grin

And yams... grin

try them out and don't forget to give me feedbacks cool
Re: Foods You Should Eat With The Peel On by Caracta(f): 10:02am On Aug 28, 2013
smothly: try them out and don't forget to give me feedbacks cool

Done! Now try yours. Your turn grin grin
Re: Foods You Should Eat With The Peel On by Nobody: 10:19am On Aug 28, 2013
unripe plantains and Potatoes(both Irish and home made) too cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Foods You Should Eat With The Peel On by Nobody: 10:46am On Aug 28, 2013
the natural banana in the goodie bag........and dont try to cover the skin with plastic, it reduces the taste

16 Likes

Re: Foods You Should Eat With The Peel On by Nobody: 2:13pm On Aug 28, 2013
rigormortis: the natural banana in the goodie bag........and dont try to cover the skin with plastic, it reduces the taste

grin grin grin
dirty mind

3 Likes

Re: Foods You Should Eat With The Peel On by Dygeasy(m): 2:20pm On Aug 28, 2013
ROTFLMAO...gringringrin... I love Nairaland!!

3 Likes

Re: Foods You Should Eat With The Peel On by Sissie(f): 3:39pm On Aug 28, 2013
Potatoes and cucumbers.
Re: Foods You Should Eat With The Peel On by InvertedHammer: 4:32pm On Aug 28, 2013
/

I think coconut will be delicious with the peel.

Hey! it is my opinion!

/

26 Likes

Re: Foods You Should Eat With The Peel On by Okijajuju1(m): 4:33pm On Aug 28, 2013

And banana... grin

And yams... grin

and

12 Likes

Re: Foods You Should Eat With The Peel On by Nobody: 4:33pm On Aug 28, 2013
I sometimes eat potatoes with the skin on tongue

3 Likes

Re: Foods You Should Eat With The Peel On by Eneze1(f): 4:33pm On Aug 28, 2013
mango
Re: Foods You Should Eat With The Peel On by Kslib(m): 4:34pm On Aug 28, 2013
I've seen people eating groundnut with the cover.. I did it when i was a kid..lol
All izz well!

1 Like

Re: Foods You Should Eat With The Peel On by Bobbystanley(m): 4:34pm On Aug 28, 2013
Don't forget coconut too
Re: Foods You Should Eat With The Peel On by moscobabs(m): 4:35pm On Aug 28, 2013
what about black pawpaw?
Re: Foods You Should Eat With The Peel On by ponco: 4:35pm On Aug 28, 2013

1 Like

Re: Foods You Should Eat With The Peel On by ugotuf(m): 4:35pm On Aug 28, 2013
CUCUMBER is my best
Re: Foods You Should Eat With The Peel On by crystalballs: 4:36pm On Aug 28, 2013
and wallnuts
Re: Foods You Should Eat With The Peel On by kennyonthrone(m): 4:37pm On Aug 28, 2013
Mmm jst finished eatin my corn nw wit itss cover nd d'stick inclusive.....lol! So yummy,na dis kind food d'make me fresh

3 Likes

Re: Foods You Should Eat With The Peel On by Nobody: 4:37pm On Aug 28, 2013

~how would anyone in his right mind peel the skin of apple??
~nothing's gon make me chew the skin of orange! angry eewww!
~which one is onion skin again?? Last i checked onion is skin all through. So no one can say he doesn't eat onion skin. Everything is skin, except u talking bout the first skin anyway

4 Likes

Re: Foods You Should Eat With The Peel On by everyday: 4:37pm On Aug 28, 2013
That is good to know
Re: Foods You Should Eat With The Peel On by ochallo: 4:37pm On Aug 28, 2013
In related news, there are some foods that make you extremely Hot when you eat them. Here is a list of them

http://www.elijahforce..com/2013/08/foods-that-make-you-Hot.html
Re: Foods You Should Eat With The Peel On by passionate88: 4:38pm On Aug 28, 2013
I mad?. Why I no go peel my onion?. Tah

1 Like

Re: Foods You Should Eat With The Peel On by Donmichaelz(m): 4:38pm On Aug 28, 2013
Eat it with Akpu or amala,it goes faster
Re: Foods You Should Eat With The Peel On by AnanseK(m): 4:38pm On Aug 28, 2013
And banana... grin
And yams... grin

and coconut and peanuts grin
And banana... grin
And yams... grin

and coconut and peanuts
Re: Foods You Should Eat With The Peel On by sotonyej: 4:39pm On Aug 28, 2013
Re: Foods You Should Eat With The Peel On by Nobody: 4:39pm On Aug 28, 2013
Orange peels? lipsrsealedgringrin. I'm not trying that. Who removes the back of an apple? undecidedundecided.
I even wash my onion after removing the back grintongue.

You should try pineapple and coconut gringrin
Re: Foods You Should Eat With The Peel On by bbulldog(m): 4:39pm On Aug 28, 2013
Eating apple wit label also, eating banana with the body...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Does Eating Coconut Negate The Performance Of A Drug In One's Body? / Lady Burnt Noodles While Watching 'Zee World' (Photos) / See The Tomatoes I Bought yesterday For 15k For Use In My House.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.