Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,757 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:44 AM

Ibadan & Pace Of Development - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibadan & Pace Of Development (1154 Views)

The Six Geographical Regions Of Nigeria In Order Of Development. / The Six Geographical Regions In Nigeria in Order Of Development / The Dearth Of Development In The South-east (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ibadan & Pace Of Development by greaterbay: 8:02pm On Aug 29, 2013
I love writing about Ibadan. In fact, I am always nostalgic about Ibadan. Maybe because I was born and raised in the city and also had my early working life there. No City moves me like Ibadan. By the time I approach the Guru Maharajji end of the Lagos Ibadan Expressway, the atmosphere suddenly changes. Believe me, there is no City like Ibadan in the world- so authentic, so real, so alive! Or maybe I'm exaggerating. While Lagos is hard and fast, Ibadan goes on its own pace. You never lack serious side attractions in Ibadan. Everything in Ibadan is unique- from the way the taxi drivers ply their trade to the way butchers sell their meat. A warning- if you are driving in Ibadan, watch out for the taxis. Don't be fooled by their traffic indicators- that is if they have. Watch their hands! A typical taxi driver will put out his hand as his indicator and if you make a mistake to run into him,the next thing you will hear in a thick Ibadan drawl is ' O lo rowo mi?' loosely translated as 'Didn't you see my hand '? But then this is one place where the people are very friendly and always ready to help. Stop to ask for direction and they will rush to assist you. They are not afraid you may hypnotize them just by talking to them. Unlike Lagos. I remember I was at Alausa a few weeks back and while waiting for my driver to pick me at the entrance, a man approached me to ask for directions. Immediately, he spoke to me, I just looked the other way and ignored him. Inadvertently, I grabbed my crotch right in full public glare (afraid of missing Instruments?). It was when the man left that I realized two things: I was a child of God so Instruments cannot disappear. At least, God has that covered. Secondly, I might have just ignored someone who actually needed help. But not so for Ibadan people. They can even enter your car to take you to where you are going. Very good natured people. I am passionate about anything Ibadan so you must pardon me for writing about Ibadan so soon again. So much for preamble!

Okay. So I'm in Ibadan again and I decided to go round the City yesterday. My first port of call was to visit my mother and when she offered me Amala and worowo vegetable( I don't know the English name for that vegetable) at 8am, I knew she already caught me. I don't eat early but this is one temptation I was happy to succumb to. Maybe you don't know but worowo is the best and sweetest vegetable in the world. Worowo goes with Amala, pounded yam or even Eko (solid pap). Worowo has a very soothing effect of the palate. The best way to cook it is to add snails and a sprinkling of fish. You can even eat efo worowo without any carbohydrate. I never fail to buy from Oje Market anytime I visit Ibadan because I haven't seen worowo in Lagos. A measure goes for around N50 in Ibadan. Please taste worowo if you haven't and you will see that The Lord is good.

So after my culinary desires had been satisfied, I set off into to visit Heritage Mall. I had driven around it before but now I decided to actually enter and see things for myself. I drove in and got a ticket at the entrance for just N100 for 1 hour. Immediately, the ticket vendor gave me an offer that was out of this world. He pointed at a car wash right in the parking lot of the Shopping Mall and told me if I washed my car I could stay for as long as I wanted and still pay only N100. What a bargain! If I visit Alausa Shopping Mall, I am always in a hurry because of the ticket. Not so with this place. Not one to miss a good deal, I drove straight to the Car wash and dropped my car.

Now, Heritage Mall is currently the largest shopping Mall in Ibadan and is the brain child of Alhaji Adebayo Jimoh, the Group Managing Director of Odua Investment Company Limited, an investment outfit jointly owned by the South Western States ex Lagos. I walked round and I saw Shoprite, Mr Price, PEP, Cash and Carry, Slot, Samsung, Us Polo Association, The Filmhouse and many indigenous outfits at the Mall. About 50% of the shops were were yet to be opened but you will see masons working feverishly all over. I decided to stay a while around where popcorn and fizzy drinks are sold. I chuckled as I observed young girls and young boys holding hands and milling around with packs of popcorn in their hands. You would have been excused if you think you were at the Silverbird Galleria or Ozone at Yaba. I almost burst out laughing when I saw two elderly women in what is referred to as 'anko' ( uniform made from Ankara). I also observed some people talking about whether to take the escalator or the stairs. They settled for the stairs. So many people must have fallen on the escalators as you have boldly written warnings all over not to run on them and to hold the railings properly. I felt very delighted watching and going down the escalators as the last time I stepped on one in Ibadan was Christmas Day 1980 when my mother took me to the popular Leventis Stores. Coincidentally, the former Leventis and Heritage Mall are around the same location. Now, with this Mall, there is more competition. I looked out for my favourite shop where I used to buy clothes years back- Emporium- but I couldn't see it in the Mall? How will he ride with competition now? What will it look like if some local contents were added- an Inastraight Eating Centre located right at the Mall or Iya Ope? I believe this will draw more traffic.

Lest I forget, while I was talking about my experience yesterday, I was informed that there is so much hype about Shoprite in Ibadan that people will take a bike of about N500 all the way from a long distance just to buy bread of N340. Furthermore, because of the level of education of quite a number of shoppers, you see people often wandering looking for pay points. There was quite some traffic when I was there yesterday and this is commendable.

One major snag I observed at the Mall was that the shops are not easy to locate. I had to go round many times before I could locate Mr Price. There has to be directional signs to guide shoppers. The tiles are also slippery. I thought they could have use tiles with tracks to prevent accidents. Beyond that it is a place you should visit when next you visit Ibadan.

After a few hours of window shopping, I left. I decided to go to Mokola and drive on the newly opened Overhead Bridge for the first time. I don't know what the hullabaloo is about but Governor Ajimobi sure deserves commendation for this. I slowed down on the bridge and I could see brown rusty roofs as far off as Oniyanrin and Abebi. I could even see Oniyanrin Hills and what once used to be a fearful forest where P&T was located. It was quite a sight! If you want to see ancient Ibadan, please just stand on that Mokola Bridge. I used to think the bridge would have been better as double lane but I think the single lane is just fine.

I went to Ring Road and saw another huge Shopping Mall coming up. I understand it will be similar to The Palms at Lekki. I was also told another Mall has been completed at Idi Ape and it has been fully occupied. Serious road construction works went on at Magazine Road Jericho up to Aleshinloye. I was amazed at the speed because I was still here a few weeks ago. At the Toll Gate, I observed a new Motor Garage/Park had been constructed for taxis and buses. They have been moved further off the road towards British American Tobacco Road and this is a welcome relief to travelers on that route due to the gridlock that the former Park causes. I also observed all those people selling banana and bread in the middle of the road were gone.

At the State Secretariat, I saw the newly constructed Gates with the drum insignia at the very top. It is a beautiful work of art! Very visually appealing. I also drove right up to Osuntokun Avenue in Bodija and saw the Bodija Bridge that was constructed to resolve the issue of perennial flooding at that place. I went to Ashi and I also observed the Ashi-Bodija Road that was full of gullies and potholes had been patched. I watched the BRT buses as they drove round Ibadan picking up passengers. I was very delighted when I saw the posters advertising Holy Ghost Convention of Bishop Wale Oke's Ministry on those buses. Now, Ibadan is coming up!

After I visited my Pastor, I went straight to InaStraight. Now, Inastraight is the foremost eatery located on Mokola Hills. Nobody in the world makes Amala and Abula like InaStraight. Abula is a mixture of Gbegiri ( soup made from beans ) and ewedu vegetable. This is one business that is truly generational as InaStraight was founded by a woman who is now late and is now being run by her daughter. Her daughter has gone ahead to open additional branches in Ibadan and modernize their operations. I remember years back when we used to wash our hands in open bowls but now there are sanitary washing hand basins all over. I settled down to a plate of Amala and Abula and it was a great culinary expediment!

There is sufficient reason to be optimistic at what is happening in Ibadan, especially with the infrastructural developments and when you consider the City had gone comatose for years. One major reason responsible for this spate of development is security. Ibadan was once notorious for the likes of Adedibu, Elewe Omo, Tokyo, Sunday Igboho, Auxiliary and the rest. Now the City is at peace and you wonder if Tokyo still lives there! This is one major reason why I believe we should do all that is possible not to let that City and State go back to the dogs. This level of development must be sustained.

For today, I'm off again on sight seeing. God bless Ibadan!

7 Likes

Re: Ibadan & Pace Of Development by Nobody: 10:28pm On Aug 29, 2013
Omg, I can't wait to go to ibadan . Just 2 more weeks
Re: Ibadan & Pace Of Development by Nobody: 11:46pm On Aug 29, 2013
Thank you for a wonderful read. It could only have been better if you included photographs.

I hope to retrace your steps next month but I will be documenting these deveopments with pictures.

Thanks once again.

Ibadan mesi ogo, ibi ole gbe njare oniun.
Re: Ibadan & Pace Of Development by plaindealer: 12:15am On Aug 30, 2013
I truly enjoy your write up no be small ..infact, the woroworo part got me hungry and I'm attacking woroworo next time I hit ibadan.

Ibadan remains a gem in the SW and set to regain her pioneering status in Nigeria.
Re: Ibadan & Pace Of Development by Brimmie(m): 12:44am On Aug 30, 2013
OP.. Nice There!!
========================

Ajumobi is really trying!

The guy need to continue the good works in other parts of the state. Ibadan is getting 70% of the transformations in the state.

He should try replicate Urban Renewal Project by Ogbeni Rauf. And places like Oyo, Ogbomosho, Eruwa, Saki, Iseyin will benefit from it.

Though Ibadan is an ancient city, but more roads should be constructed, rehabilated and tarred it's not going to be an easy task, but Mr Governor shld do more!!

And pls, enough of the jingles on TV and Radio abt his administration. Too much Praise Singers!!

Oyo State... Ajumose Gbogbo Wa Ni Oo!!

(1) (Reply)

Why Ex-niger Delta Militants Attacked Nigerian Embassy In Russia- Ambassador / Most Of My Critics Hang Around Government Looking For Favours – Abati / A Nairalander Chilling With #ebola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.