Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,205 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:08 AM

The Dearth Of Development In The South-east - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Dearth Of Development In The South-east (24685 Views)

The Six Geographical Regions Of Nigeria In Order Of Development. / Politics Of Development. And Underdevelopment / The Six Geographical Regions In Nigeria in Order Of Development (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by Afam4eva(m): 3:21pm On Nov 23, 2013
I'm writing this to register my displeasure with the almost absence of huge development in the South-East of the country. I have looked round the country and have discovered that, it's probably in the South-East of the country that you have the lowest numbers of development, especially capital development going on. I recently saw a thread on stadiums being built by state governments and none of these stadiums are been built by South-East governments. Governments all over the country are embarking on building New Airports in their states but none of these states are South-East states. States all over the federation are setting up tourism havens but not in the South-East and this brings me to the question, what do South-East governors use their allocation for cos i've not seen any project in the SE worth jumping up for save for a few mostly in Enugu. As an Igbo man, i find it embarassing that when it's time to even boast about what my part of the country has done, there's very little that one can be proud of. I'm even looking to see if something is going on in Asaba to even use that to boast but despite the fact that some things have been achieved in Asaba, it's still a growing city. Right now, Enugu is all there is to be boastful about in the SE and i think it's a shame that a people who pride themselves in commerce are lagging behind big time in a country that can't even be said to be developing. I think the major problem is one of leadership. We probably boast of the worst leaders that this country has produced. We have to make do with all these Ogbete leaders that our states keep churning out. For heaven sake, what business has Theodore has in becoming an LGA chairman let alone a state governor. is there nobody that can do better than Martin Elechi? Is Peter Obi the best Anambra can boast of? When will Rochas start attracting big time investors to Imo state who are not coming to setup up cheap hotels. The SE needs our attention and it has to be very fast.

28 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by geeez: 3:34pm On Nov 23, 2013
Ekene Dili Chukwu ... Powering economic osmosis since 1970

Ifeasinachi .... Moving people from their towns to develop others' since 1980

Calm down Afam, Otudeko will get to Ebonyi shortly

29 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by Nobody: 3:56pm On Nov 23, 2013
geeez: Ekene Dili Chukwu ... Powering economic osmosis since 1970

LWTMB

1 Like

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by Nobody: 4:04pm On Nov 23, 2013
How would they develop : tribalism and selfishness are the order of the day.

21 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by Nobody: 4:07pm On Nov 23, 2013
I have visited all the states and their capitals in the SE region and can objectively rate them as follows:

1. Enugu - 52%
2. Imo - 51%
3. Anambra : 41%
4. Abia : 33%
5 Ebonyi : 23% - this should be downgraded as a local government in Enugu

8 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by Waspy(m): 4:11pm On Nov 23, 2013
Till they wake up, forget the past, and drop tribal / sentimental ideologies . sad

10 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by collynzo2(m): 4:16pm On Nov 23, 2013
When the likes of you are sitting down somewhere in Lagos, whom do you expect to hold the government to ransome?
The problem is that Igbos travel a lot and the few who stay back are too docile to ask the government on seat questions.
I said it before that South Eastern governors have the easiest ride in Nigeria and some were trying to argue with me.
Igbos are more interested in crtiticising the government of where they live rather than the government of where they are from. Would you blame them?

50 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by collynzo2(m): 4:19pm On Nov 23, 2013
Keneking: How would they develop : tribalism and selfishness are the order of the day.
Do you care to explain what it has to do with tribalism? Probably one of those who comment before thinking.
Is it tribalism that stops the Leaders from doing what they are supposed to do?

13 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by iterator25: 4:20pm On Nov 23, 2013
Waspy: Till they wake up, forget the past, and drop tribal / sentimental ideologies . sad
no, till they stop treating the region like villages

1 Like

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by Nobody: 4:29pm On Nov 23, 2013
collynzo2: Do you care to explain what it has to do with tribalism? Probably one of those who comment before thinking.
Is it tribalism that stops the Leaders from doing what they are supposed to do?
yes, most times. How can you call ngige an eful.efu because he works with APC, a party they also branded yoruba party when they ought to be building bridges and forming alliances?

21 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by gratiaeo(m): 4:32pm On Nov 23, 2013
AFAM not until you point out what's happening in other states apart from development on white papers i wouldn't comment
@ least use Osun state as a yardstick

11 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by gratiaeo(m): 4:37pm On Nov 23, 2013
TribalEAST: yes, most times. How can you call ngige an eful.efu because he works with APC, a party they also branded yoruba party when they ought to be building bridges and forming alliances?
And Ngige is not part of decay? Where did he build his airport or his world trade center in his three years as governor, even his 2 and half years as a senator is a waste.

10 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by Nobody: 4:45pm On Nov 23, 2013
In 2015, SEasterners need to vote for dynamic governors who have ideas on how to turn the region into an industrial/economic haven.
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by Kponkwem(m): 4:47pm On Nov 23, 2013
The region receives the lowest allocation, check ur records. But the number of housing estates across the cities in the south east is opening up new areas. New investments especially SME are coming in.
BTW can u show me just one city in SW that is better than any of the SE capitals?

13 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by Gorrbachev: 4:52pm On Nov 23, 2013

grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by agbameta: 4:54pm On Nov 23, 2013

The OP asked some serious questions, but this is just too funny...

2 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by agbameta: 4:56pm On Nov 23, 2013
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by Afam4eva(m): 4:57pm On Nov 23, 2013
collynzo2: When the likes of you are sitting down somewhere in Lagos, whom do you expect to hold the government to ransome?
The problem is that Igbos travel a lot and the few who stay back are too docile to ask the government on seat questions.
I said it before that South Eastern governors have the easiest ride in Nigeria and some were trying to argue with me.
Igbos are more interested in crtiticising the government of where they live rather than the government of where they are from. Would you blame them?
I won't argue with you cos you're right and i highlighted this some months back. The reason why our leaders are behaving as they choose is because those that are supposed to stand up to them don't live in the South-East.

4 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by agbameta: 4:57pm On Nov 23, 2013
[quote author=gratiaeo] AFAM not until you point out what's happening in other states apart from development on white papers i wouldn't comment
@ least use Osun state as a yardstick [quote]

Anything to distract from the main issue.. This is how people fail WAEC. The topic is about the East and not Osun state?

10 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by geeez: 4:57pm On Nov 23, 2013
gratiaeo: AFAM not until you point out what's happening in other states apart from development on white papers i wouldn't comment

Hmm Osun

Let me think

Osun state's GDP for 2012 is higher than the GDP of any SE state

I wished I could go on but just ruminate on that

BRB

2 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by Afam4eva(m): 4:59pm On Nov 23, 2013
gratiaeo: AFAM not until you point out what's happening in other states apart from development on white papers i wouldn't comment

Kponkwem:
BTW can u show me just one city in SW that is better than any of the SE capitals?

This is the problem. Instead of you to look inward, you always want to compare yourself to others who are probably like you in order for you to look better. That's how failures reason.

32 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by kettykin: 5:03pm On Nov 23, 2013
Priority of Development should look like this
1. Deep Sea Port in Akwa Ibom /Bayelsa linked to the South East
2. Rail link from Ibaka and Bayelsa to move goods to and fro Onitsha and Aba
3. Independent Power stations to pump power from Coal , Gas deposits to Distribution companies
4.Refineries in Onitsha and Aba to power the Auto mobile /vehicular traffic.
5 New investments in Aba and Onitsha to power them as shopping cities that would encourage the growth of retail , tourism and business transactions.
6 Investments in movie making and film villages that would churn out next generation Nollywood films and stars
I believe with some of the outlined steps the south east would get its groove back and become an economic backbone the East can go it alone without really depending on the Federal Government

4 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by lloydtruth: 5:06pm On Nov 23, 2013
Another Igbo matter been discussed and people from other parts of the country taking over the topic, ok, people from southwest, oya take over, continue to take panadol for another man's headache.

16 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by Nobody: 5:06pm On Nov 23, 2013
Kponkwem: The region receives the lowest allocation, check ur records. But the number of housing estates across the cities in the south east is opening up new areas. New investments especially SME are coming in.
What has south west got to do with these again? The topic is about the dearth of development in iboland.

3 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by eggheaders(m): 5:08pm On Nov 23, 2013
No talking down on the igbos. The southeast is a kinda big hellhole, the worst road I have travelled all my life is the Onitsha -enugu expressway. The solution to the problem maybe for you lots to stay in your region and ask your leaders questions. And again politically most igbos seems to be less concern all na business and business, get to Ibadan even shoemakers will analyze political issues that will make a professor of political science look like a joke. I think its high time y'all gat to get involve in the politicking of alaigbo.

22 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by eggheaders(m): 5:11pm On Nov 23, 2013
geeez:

Hmm Osun

Let me think

Osun state's GDP for 2012 is higher than the GDP of any SE state

I wished I could go on but just ruminate on that

BRB

Add this to your list, osun state has the best power supply in Nigeria and one of the best road networks in southern Nigeria. Couple with second best in agricultu re, dusted by only zamfara in the whole nation, rapid educational development. Think over this while I get back.

12 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by agbameta: 5:12pm On Nov 23, 2013
Let's be honest here. It's like trying to have it both ways.

1. You can not intentionally seek and vote for mediocre leaders and at the same time expect good returns for such effort.

2. Having qualified and skilled local officials means little or nothing since the general belief within the local community is the FG aka Jonathan is responsible and must take care of the EAST.

3. Jonathan administration is dubbed ibo administration for a reason because nearly ll the top officials are ibo, but this doesn't reflect locally in terms of progress and development.

4. Development can not happen locally with bad leaders and unhelpful fixations on other regions including the culture of other regions first before ibo land. Even your own Obi refused to invest 1 kobo in ibo land so who are you kidding?

24 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by agbameta: 5:14pm On Nov 23, 2013
lloydtruth: Another Igbo matter been discussed and people from other parts of the country taking over the topic, ok, people from southwest, oya take over, continue to take panadol for another man's headache.

It's a public forum and we are all Nigerians. Feel free to join the discussion or exempt yourself if you must.

6 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by Nobody: 5:22pm On Nov 23, 2013

grin grin grin you bad o

2 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by asha80(m): 5:22pm On Nov 23, 2013
Afam4eva:

This is the problem. Instead of you to look inward, you always want to compare yourself to others who are probably like you in order for you to look better. That's how failures reason.
i hope you know you the one that started the comparision?read your opening post well.

2 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by sCun: 5:24pm On Nov 23, 2013
asha 80: i hope you know you the one that started the comparision?read your opening post well.
You are right, he started the comparison, but we shouldn't deviate from the matter at hand.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Biafra Lobby Group Admitted to AU Socio-Cultural Body / DSS Beefs Up Headquarters Security Ahead Of #FreeSowore Protest Today / Lagos House Of Assembly Confirms 22 Commissioner-nominees, Rejects 17

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.