Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,639 members, 7,854,677 topics. Date: Sunday, 09 June 2024 at 12:29 AM

Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City (25525 Views)

Mega-City: Lagos Ranked Alongside NewYork & Beijing (photo) / Lagos Ranked As The Most Corrupt State In Nigeria In 2014 / LAGOS Is World's 3rd Worst City To Live In. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by tushbobo(m): 10:27am On Sep 01, 2013
The report is a no brainer.I was expecting criteria we can all quantify.
Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by Nobody: 10:44am On Sep 01, 2013
Billyonaire: Apart from VI, Ikoyi and Lekki, Ikeja, every other place in Lagos is just an unorganized mess. Its a fact, lets face it so we can make a change. Enough of these Tinubuans in Power. Lagos is the smallest state in landmass yet so largely undeveloped.
Hater alert!!

1 Like

Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by simpleseyi: 10:51am On Sep 01, 2013
Pls what is the position of maiduguri, yola , Kano, afghanistan, baghdad, syria, alepo and even aba, owerri, enugu, Onitsha. These are beyond ranking.

My Lagos is your Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by Nobody: 11:03am On Sep 01, 2013
Kairoseki77: Yes!!!

Just last year we were the third worst city!

Slowly Naija is improving. Won't be long before we are the number one! grin

lmao grin grin
Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by QMark: 11:06am On Sep 01, 2013
Another first fourth from MTN Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by meforyou1(m): 11:24am On Sep 01, 2013
It's just unfortunate. The report recognises that lagos is a very fast growing city, but the 2 factors - piracy and boko are not lagos making. They are federal govt wahala.
Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by ShineIt: 11:32am On Sep 01, 2013
Lagosbabe1:

Here we go again undecided When Yorubas start to respond in kind then you will all be crying tribalism.

How work?
Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by Afam4eva(m): 11:35am On Sep 01, 2013
While i agree that Lagos is one of the worst cities in the world, i think it's sheer ignorance on the part of these foreign organizations to put Lagos and Terrorism in the same sentence. It's just a pointer that these people have no idea about Nigeria and Lagos in particular.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by hikmoj(m): 11:37am On Sep 01, 2013
Anuoluwap:
www.vanguardngr.com/2013/08/lagos-ranked-4th-worlds-worst-city/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter
wetin dey rong wit dose oyibo pple sef dey leav dem own problem dem dey do amebo 4 other pple problem

1 Like

Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by ichidodo: 11:40am On Sep 01, 2013
Lagosbabe1:

Here we go again undecided When Yorubas start to respond in kind then you will all be crying tribalism.
Keep quiet,didn't you read d first page?. If you are so sensitive, why didn't you rebuke those comments in dat page?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by Afam4eva(m): 11:43am On Sep 01, 2013
People are asking why some other Nigerian cities especially Abuja did not make the cut. It's simple, cities that were considered are megacities and cities of importance. If Abuja were to be included then it would rank highly but Abuja is not the kinda city they rank. When Abuja fits into the criteria of cities that they rank, it may be as worse as Lagos because the basic variable that always makes Lagos to score lowly in these rankings in the disparity in the ratio of the population and the social amenities. The infrastructure in Lagos is meant for the at most 4 million people but here we have over 10 million people scrambling for these amenities, so in a long time to come, Lagos will keep ranking low because the population keeps increasing and the amenities are not increasing in tandem with the population.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by meforyou1(m): 11:48am On Sep 01, 2013
I say it and I repeat it. Lagos is not yorubaland. It is a former british colony and a former fct developed largely by the white man and by igbos. So why didn't yoruba "cities" like ibadan, ife, abeokuta, osogbo and akure make the list?
Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by Arysexy(m): 11:48am On Sep 01, 2013
Afam as u press ur ban button, ensure Garri d 1st does nt escape it bc he derailed d thread from page 1. Hapi sunday.
Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by Policewoman(f): 11:48am On Sep 01, 2013
Freewilly: Who wants to bet me that this thread would not make the front page on NL.
I'll bet you. Oya.
Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by ichidodo: 11:52am On Sep 01, 2013
Dike Chimezie: Is my wish to see Imo,Enugu and co(All Igbo states) blossom like Lagos but not to d detriment of d latter.I was born in Lagos and to d best of my knowledge,the Yoruba man is accomodative.
Very very untrue.That a man is innocent of theft is not a matter of morals but lack of oopportunity,The yoruba man doesn't have anychoice but to be accomodating just as d Niger delta man doesn't have any option but to share his oil wealth with d rest of us.One Nainja.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by anonimi: 11:54am On Sep 01, 2013
mithel:

and vanguard are always up to datevanguard are reporting it late dazall wink

You seem to have missed this part of the report, so since today is Sympathetic Sunday, I bring it back to your attention:

EIU in its 2013 annual survey of the world’s 140 major metropolises, said Lagos has a long way to go politically, socially and economically before it joins the emerging market club.

I have been repeating it of late that all the propaganda, noise-making about PPP shine, shine infrastructure projects that somehow pile more debts to the over N=600 billion does not a MODERN city make.
BRF and the ACN/APC controlled 57 LGAs and LCDAs must also focus on:

- free and COMPULSORY education for ALL children.
- feeder roads
- potable water
- free and widely available quality PRIMARY health care

These are the BASIC issues, the FOUNDATION upon which a modern state is built.

Anyone who understands anything about durable socio-economic development will not be surprised about this damning assessment after 14 WASTED years of Tinubu and his boy, Fashola at the helm of afairs in the "state of EXCELLENCE".
Chief Obafemi Awolowo understood this over 60 years ago.
The five UPN governors of the LOOBO states also understood it way back 30 years ago and the impact was felt then and now still!
Meanwhile Awo was Premier of the whole Western region, including most of today's Lagos state for only six years (1954-1960) while the UPN governors had just four years (1979-1983)
before Ayatollah Buhari overthrew them and clamped them in jail while leaving his fellow fulani President Shehu Shagari in the comfort of house arrest in Ikoyi.
What a quintessential ethno-religious BIGOT!!!

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by ichidodo: 12:01pm On Sep 01, 2013
me_for_you: I say it and I repeat it. Lagos is not yorubaland. It is a former british colony and a former fct developed largely by the white man and by igbos. So why didn't yoruba "cities" like ibadan, ife, abeokuta, osogbo and akure make the list?
Lagos is 'ceremoniously' yoruba land just like ILLORIN. Of course,we all know these lands are out if their grasp,hausas from d north, igbos and other tribes in the south

1 Like

Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by Nobody: 12:03pm On Sep 01, 2013
Go to banana island and see white people all over the place like they own the place. Yet lagos is so evil (sarcasm). So what are they doing there? How can lagos be the 4th worst city to live in when it is one of the best places to live in Nigeria if you have lots of money. Some journalists are sick in the head.
Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by anonimi: 12:07pm On Sep 01, 2013
12 inches!:
Go to banana island and see white people all over the place like they own the place. Yet lagos is so evil (sarcasm). So what are they doing there? How can lagos be the 4th worst city to live in when it is one of the best places to live in Nigeria if you have lots of money. Some journalists are sick in the head.

What % of Lagos METROPOLIS is Banana island
Let's start from there and then we can address other issues you raised in your post above, right?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by Evestar200(f): 12:11pm On Sep 01, 2013
I knw this thread will turn to Yoruba vs igbo[i]
Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by druid06(m): 12:12pm On Sep 01, 2013
You pro-Lagos narcistic-I-am-above-all-Nigerians should please shut the fucck up. I'm actually surprised lagos was amongst the list of cities in the world. Reason so for my surprise is because I don't think lagos has the appropriate characteristics of being called a proper city and if you all want the reasons, I would gladly do so if you ask.

In comparison that shithole shouldn't have made that list. The reason I suspect it made the list is because Nigeria has no true city. Lagos is more like a highly developed suburb with additional ghetto and slums.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by Lagosbabe1: 12:14pm On Sep 01, 2013
Afam4eva[b:
]While i agree that Lagos is one of the worst cities in the world,[/b] i think it's sheer ignorance on the part of these foreign organizations to put Lagos and Terrorism in the same sentence. It's just a pointer that these people have no idea about Nigeria and Lagos in particular.

How did you come to that conclusion? How many cities have you visited? What parameters did you consider before coming to that conclusion? I also notice that that the guy that called Yorubas dirty is still posting and not banned but his post and mine have been hidden

This is a copy of his post:
We don't need oyinbo to tell us lagos is a dungeon littered with filth and d dirty nature of d yorubas wukd nt help matters. Fashola is trying to clean d mess brt d culture of yoruba shyting around witout control will just swallow fashola effort. Did report did not originate from igboland for those tiger faces dat have started attacking and comparing igboland with lagos.

Hapi sunday and new month

I know Yorubas that have posted less incendiary comments and were banned by you
Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by Nobody: 12:18pm On Sep 01, 2013
neyobillz:

Firstly which Intelligence Unit in their right minds would post such baseless reports without any facts whatsoever,How many Boko Haram attacks have happened in Lagos in the last 2 years,the Nigerian territory only covers 15 Nautical Miles or so from the sea,anything farther than that is no man's land,besides Piracy isnt some Lagos making,Pirates have been moving freely on International waters right from the medieval days,and in the last 10 years i havent heard of any Pirate attack on Lagos,i would expect folks of their calibre to bring facts to support there unintelligent claims,all these are baseless assumptions.

Back to your unintelligent comments,the coast of Lagos has been open to European traders as early as the 15th century,when Lagosians have been shaking hands with European Sea merchants,you guys were still naked and dining with chimps in your ever inpenetrable forests,even the Benin coast had earlier contact with civilization ever before u you,likewise Calabar which also had early contact with Europeans,dont forget even our brothers from the North had contact with the ever Nomadic Arabs and Tuaregs way back and they were even able to develop trade routes there having embraced civilization this way,you guys were the last barbarians to smell civilization in any form.

Lagos was once a colony of the Potuguese empire way back in the medieval ages and the name Lagos which was coined from the words (Lago di Kuramo) which means the Lagoon of Kuramo,im sure you can imagine how clean and organized your barbarian emipires were back then.

Back up, bro. Did u just say Lagos was a Portuguese colony? Really?

And apparently, you equate 'civilization' with 'contact with whitish people'. That kind of thinking is so 19th century, man.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by Anuoluwap(m): 12:18pm On Sep 01, 2013
Lagosbabe1:

How did you come to that conclusion? How many cities have you visited? What parameters did you consider before coming to that conclusion? I also notice that that the guy that called Yorubas dirty is still posting and not banned but his post and mine have been hidden

@lagosbabe you tried to reach me via email. Check your email.
Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by ichidodo: 12:22pm On Sep 01, 2013
neyobillz:

Firstly which Intelligence Unit in their right minds would post such baseless reports without any facts whatsoever,How many Boko Haram attacks have happened in Lagos in the last 2 years,the Nigerian territory only covers 15 Nautical Miles or so from the sea,anything farther than that is no man's land,besides Piracy isnt some Lagos making,Pirates have been moving freely on International waters right from the medieval days,and in the last 10 years i havent heard of any Pirate attack on Lagos,i would expect folks of their calibre to bring facts to support there unintelligent claims,all these are baseless assumptions.

Back to your unintelligent comments,the coast of Lagos has been open to European traders as early as the 15th century,when Lagosians have been shaking hands with European Sea merchants,you guys were still naked and dining with chimps in your ever inpenetrable forests,even the Benin coast had earlier contact with civilization ever before u you,likewise Calabar which also had early contact with Europeans,dont forget even our brothers from the North had contact with the ever Nomadic Arabs and Tuaregs way back and they were even able to develop trade routes there having embraced civilization this way,you guys were the last barbarians to smell civilization in any form.

Lagos was once a colony of the Potuguese empire way back in the medieval ages and the name Lagos which was coined from the words (Lago di Kuramo) which means the Lagoon of Kuramo,im sure you can imagine how clean and organized your barbarian emipires were back then.

Point of correction lagos was never a colony of portugal but the benin empire, it was a slave port( little why portuguese slave traders loved the area) bini warriors traded yoruba slaves to d 'portuma' in exchange for trinkets,liqour,mirrors etc after the aboltion of slavery it went into d protectorate of d British.We d last barbarians have made a giant leap and have seized the 'heart' of lagos from d British.So who now owns Lagos? The civilised slaves or the barbarians from d east?
Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by Afam4eva(m): 12:26pm On Sep 01, 2013
Lagosbabe1:

How did you come to that conclusion? How many cities have you visited? What parameters did you consider before coming to that conclusion? [/b]

I know Yorubas that have posted less incendiary comments and were banned by you
It's Commonsensical that cities that have larger populations than they can manage effectively always rank badly. You don't need to travel to other countries to know what's obvious. If Lagos had a population of 5 million, it would have been a different case.
Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by druid06(m): 12:30pm On Sep 01, 2013
ichidodo: Point of correction lagos was never a colony of portugal but the benin empire, it was a slave port( little why portuguese slave traders loved the area) bini warriors traded yoruba slaves to d 'portuma' in exchange for trinkets,liqour,mirrors etc after the aboltion of slavery it went into d protectorate of d British.We d last barbarians have made a giant leap and have seized the 'heart' of lagos from d British.So who now owns Lagos? The civilised slaves or the barbarians from d east?

@Bolded. Interesting. So you mean to say Lagosians are civilized slaves? Small wonder they're too prickly.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Protesters In Ondo Declare Jimoh Ibrahim "Dead" With A Coffin (photos) / WTO: Okonjo-iweala Testament Of Buhari's Passion For Integrity - Kalu / Segun Adewale 'Aeroland': Lagos PDP Leaders Collecting Money From Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.