Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,007 members, 7,838,526 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 02:38 AM

How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? (7274 Views)

Help Me Suggest Xmas Gift For My Mum And Dad / Aunty Babyosisi's Token Christmas Gift For An Unemployed Youth / Buying Car As A Gift For Your Children, Right Or Wrong? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by TrickofTech: 4:51pm On Sep 01, 2013
IvyBlue: Nigerians don't do birthday presents? cheesy
Are you serious?so you also think they still wear leaves too ?

Lol don't be silly. You wear Ankara and Guinea (not all of you obviously). I have some 'native' dress myself.
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by Nobody: 4:51pm On Sep 01, 2013
$50! You gat to be kidding me. What will they do with such an amount, it's better you don't even send than send that small amount of money.

Just imagine them running to the bank to cash your amount...spending 1000 for transport, or get in trouble ...even filling out WU form just to get 50 dollars,

Stingy man! You Berra send at least 150 dollars or better still just send wishes.
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by TrickofTech: 4:55pm On Sep 01, 2013
Chillisauce: $50! You gat to be kidding me. What will they do with such an amount, it's better you don't even send than send that small amount of money.

Just imagine them running to the bank to cash your amount...spending 1000 for transport, or get in trouble ...even filling out WU form just to get 50 dollars,

Stingy man! You Berra send at least 150 dollars or better still just send wishes.

Like I say. I am not rich myself, not everyone in the West is rich. At least I bothered to ask on here before sending the amount.
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by TrickofTech: 5:00pm On Sep 01, 2013
Chillisauce: $50! You gat to be kidding me. What will they do with such an amount, it's better you don't even send than send that small amount of money.

N1000 for the transport! Where do you live?

I remember it being about N60-N100 for a taxi from their house to the banking area of the city!

Are you guys just hyping up the amount? Like I say, I am not a rich person. So please be honest with your advice.
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by Nobody: 5:01pm On Sep 01, 2013
TrickofTech:

Like I say. I am not rich myself, not everyone in the West is rich. At least I bothered to ask on here before sending the amount.

As far as you could get in a paid flight, you sure could afford 100 dollars.

I know how much a jobless dude get in Scotland, so spare us the sorry state of am not rich.

Help if you wanna help, or just send your wishes.

50 dollars won't go anywhere, trust me.

Else, get the gift and send itto them...WU might charge you 100 dollars to sendit.

Your choice
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by Nobody: 5:02pm On Sep 01, 2013
Poster, thank you for caring about your friends.
Please forgive our seeming "disrespect" for money lol, its cultural differences.
We operate a cash based economy and social infrastructures are mostly not functioning so we have to pay a lot more for basic amenities like power, transportation and education hence our value for cash is different from your own values.

We also have a different view on "dash" from you who lives in a society where everyone is meant to pay their way through life. Here a richer "friend" or "relative" is expected to take up the burden of his less fortunate or welathy friend or relative, quite different from the "everyone for himself" scene where you are thinking from.

So understand why some feel its "small" while you feel the need to send them something respectful at the same time not condescending"

N20000 or 150 Dollars is a good sum and sacrfice I believe.

You did well to think of those who were good to you.

Take care

2 Likes

Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by TrickofTech: 5:03pm On Sep 01, 2013
Chillisauce:

As far as you could get in a paid flight, you sure could afford 100 dollars.

I know how much a jobless dude get in Scotland, so spare us the sorry state of am not rich.

Help if you wanna help, or just send your wishes.

50 dollars won't go anywhere, trust me.

Else, get the gift and send itto them...WU might charge you 100 dollars to sendit.

Your choice

Friend, you are not going to make me feel bad about doing a good thing. I will take you advice.

P.S. Not using WU...I know their bank details...so hopefully I will avoid extra charges.
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by TrickofTech: 5:06pm On Sep 01, 2013
debrief08: Poster, thank you for caring about your friends.
Please forgive our seeming "disrespect" for money lol, its cultural differences.
We operate a cash based economy and social infrastructures are mostly not functioning so we have to pay a lot more for basic amenities like power, transportation and education hence our value for cash is different from your own values.

We also have a different view on "dash" from you who lives in a society where everyone is meant to pay their way through life. Here a richer "friend" or "relative" is expected to take up the burden of his less fortunate or welathy friend or relative, quite different from the "everyone for himself" scene where you are thinking from.

So understand why some feel its "small" while you feel the need to send them something respectful at the same time not condescending"

N20000 or 150 Dollars is a good sum and sacrfice I believe.

You did well to think of those who were good to you.

Take care

Brilliant answer! Thank you so much. I understand it a lot better now...and it all makes a lot more sense.

Thank you so much for posting. Changes my view on it completely. N25,000 it is.

1 Like

Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by TrickofTech: 5:14pm On Sep 01, 2013
I am looking forward to it now. I hope they are pleasantly surprised.
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by Nobody: 5:25pm On Sep 01, 2013
TrickofTech:

N1000 for the transport! Where do you live?

I remember it being about N60-N100 for a taxi from their house to the banking area of the city!

Are you guys just hyping up the amount? Like I say, I am not a rich person. So please be honest with your advice.

What will I gain by hyping the amount. We are trying to be real here. It's your money, you can decide to send $10, no ones business, but you asked a question, and I replied. My opinion anyway.

It's your call.
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by Winneygirl(f): 6:11pm On Sep 01, 2013
TrickofTech, I am soo praying and hoping that Ur next post will be that U have sent it.
*Oh Lord....pls let him send it. Let him send it quickly too and stop thinking too hard about it*

1 Like

Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by ademotors166: 6:23pm On Sep 01, 2013
Winneygirl: TrickofTech, I am soo praying and hoping that Ur next post will be that U have sent it.
*Oh Lord....pls let him send it. Let him send it quickly too and stop thinking too hard about it*
I wonder the back and forth...... If you want to give, give.
They are poor; I am not so rich; I am Oyinbo; I don't want to be condescending; Is 8000 okay; Ok I will do it for $50; No, $100 dollar is it......; Ahh ahan $500 is too big..... blah blah blah..
Abeg you wan send the money or you no wan send am. Clear make person see road pass.

2 Likes

Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by TrickofTech: 10:48pm On Sep 01, 2013
ademotors166:
I wonder the back and forth...... If you want to give, give.
They are poor; I am not so rich; I am Oyinbo; I don't want to be condescending; Is 8000 okay; Ok I will do it for $50; No, $100 dollar is it......; Ahh ahan $500 is too big..... blah blah blah..
Abeg you wan send the money or you no wan send am. Clear make person see road pass.

Chill smiley I am going to give it. I have been planning to do it for sometime and I wouldn't have told them that I was going to unless I meant it...I wouldn't get their hopes up like that.

As I have said, this is a genuine post. I just wanted to get a feel for how much to give. I don't really understand how much is a lot or little in Nigeria...and that is why I asked.

I just want them to be happy...that is all I care about.

Thank you to everyone that has commented smiley
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by Tinkybabe(f): 12:29am On Sep 02, 2013
Funny thread. .
Not really my business but OP are you a Scottish guy residing in the states or ...
And thank God you've made up your mind cool
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by ifegy: 1:23am On Sep 02, 2013
@Trickoftech, you might want to compare bank charges to money transfer charges before doing the transfer, if you're looking for cost effectiveness, as sometimes it is more expensive to send via the bank. Cheers and all the best.
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by TrickofTech: 12:27am On Sep 03, 2013
Does GTB bank charge the recipient to receive funds from overseas?
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by TrickofTech: 4:11pm On Sep 07, 2013
Okay...I think Western Union would probably be the preferred option...given that an international bank to bank transfer is so complicated!...and GTB are likely to charge the recipient (using the $100). I will have to convince the family to use it though.

How do people in Naija receive money from Western Union? Is it like a cash withdrawal machine? I do not really understand how it works?
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by Nobody: 5:00pm On Sep 07, 2013
Jeez ,op just send the money already ,

1 Like

Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by Winneygirl(f): 6:36pm On Sep 07, 2013
No problem with receiving the money.
The recipient should redeem it in a bank where s/he has an account. Should also go with a Valid ID card.
It's nice of U 2 do this.
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by TrickofTech: 7:16pm On Sep 07, 2013
IvyBlue: Jeez ,op just send the money already ,

Lol I am! It will just be very expensive to do it bank to bank!...they will end up charging the family if I do it this way...so they will receive much less than the initial amount! DO YOU WANT THIS? No!

I am sending it...it is just complicated (I have never sent money abroad before).
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by TrickofTech: 7:41pm On Sep 07, 2013
Winneygirl: No problem with receiving the money.
The recipient should redeem it in a bank where s/he has an account. Should also go with a Valid ID card.
It's nice of U 2 do this.

Sorry but to be absolutely clear...because I want to make this as easy as possible for them. I understand that there is a question, a special number, that they need photo id etc. But how will they actually get the money?

Are there special Western Union shops/banks in Nigeria that they will have to visit? Or are you saying that most banks have a Western Union department/agent working inside them that can issue the money?
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by armyofone(m): 8:01pm On Sep 07, 2013
if you are rich, send them between 500-1000 dollars/Pounds.
Make them really happy.
If not financially strong, 150-200 is ok

Be blessed.
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by Nobody: 8:06pm On Sep 07, 2013
He hasn't sent the doe yet??

#bangsheadonthecouch

1 Like

Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by Mamacita007(f): 8:13pm On Sep 07, 2013
ur head no dey there. they are pretty poor & 8k will solve their problem? park well
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by TrickofTech: 8:20pm On Sep 07, 2013
armyofone: if you are rich, send them between 500-1000 dollars/Pounds.
Make them really happy.
If not financially strong, 150-200 is ok

Be blessed.

That would be great...but I am not rich myself, I too am trying to find work. It is a birthday...that I am trying to make extra special. It is a gift. I wish I could afford that much, to be honest I can only really afford around $100 dollars, although I am sure they will appreciate this.

I could have sent nothing. They did not ask me for the money. I remembered that they had mentioned the birthday to me when I was out in Naija...and after arriving home, I thought it would be nice to send a little.
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by TrickofTech: 8:23pm On Sep 07, 2013
I hope you guys realize that I myself will find things difficult for the next few weeks. $100 is valuable to me given my current situation and it will make things tight for a while. But I do not care as long as they appreciate it and it makes them happy.

So please think before you comment.

1 Like

Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by armyofone(m): 8:24pm On Sep 07, 2013
well then, 100 dollar is it.
that's like 16,000 naira.

TrickofTech:

That would be great...but I am not rich myself, I too am trying to find work. It is a birthday...that I am trying to make extra special. It is a gift. I wish I could afford that much, to be honest I can only really afford around $100 dollars, although I am sure they will appreciate this.

I could have sent nothing. They did not ask me for the money. I remembered that they had mentioned the birthday to me when I was out in Naija...and after arriving home, I thought it would be nice to send a little.
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by TrickofTech: 8:27pm On Sep 07, 2013
armyofone: well then, 100 dollar is it.
that's like 16,000 naira.

17 actually. I bumped it up a little lol. Plus I am paying the WU charge.

I just want to get it over and done with now to be honest! lol. Still stressing over whether they will appreciate the amount. You are right...I should have told them it straight out.
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by Nobody: 8:33pm On Sep 07, 2013
Don't beat yourself up, we equate being abroad with being wealthy, forgetting there is no free lunch there and the economic meltdown.

You are a goos friend, I am sure it is a real sacrifice as you will have to cut down on somethings as a result.
Don't look at the amount, your heart is in the right place that's what matters

1 Like

Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by Nobody: 8:58pm On Sep 07, 2013
WU

Over $100 is $20+ charge, over $1k is $50+ charge. Depends on state/province

Any amount will go a long way.. You don't pluck money off the tree abroad. Just send it already you're driving me nuts. grin
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by TrickofTech: 9:02pm On Sep 07, 2013
jidegirl12: WU

Over $100 is $20+ charge, over $1k is $50+ charge. Depends on state/province

Any amount will go a long way.. You don't pluck money off the tree abroad. Just send it already you're driving me nuts. grin

Ahhhhh. You are kidding me! So they will deduct the $20 from the recipient? Or forward it to me?
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by armyofone(m): 9:06pm On Sep 07, 2013
Go with 130 dollars to WU office. Tell them you are sending 100 dollars to Hauwa grin. They will tell you the fee/charge which is about 20 0r 22 dollars.
You understand?

TrickofTech:

Ahhhhh. You are kidding me! So they will deduct the $20 from the recipient? Or forward it to me?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Does Your Spouse Know Your Username On Nairaland Forum? / First Man To Give Birth / Little Children's Annoying Habits.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.