Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,186 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:29 AM

How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? (7229 Views)

Help Me Suggest Xmas Gift For My Mum And Dad / Aunty Babyosisi's Token Christmas Gift For An Unemployed Youth / Buying Car As A Gift For Your Children, Right Or Wrong? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by TrickofTech: 11:23am On Aug 31, 2013
I am good friends with a Nigerian family (they are pretty poor). I want to send them a gift (money). How much would be a good amount. They are already aware of my plans!

I am thinking N8000
...would they appreciate this? Is it a good amount for a one off gift? I just want them to be happy...and I don't want them to feel disappointed by the amount.

P.S. Don't worry. I am not being 419 scammed!...nor do I wish to be! (I know these people personally and have lived with them in Naija).

Thanks
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by Nobody: 11:51am On Aug 31, 2013
What rubbish!
D day u want to buy something for ur mum,dad,galfriend come and ask too.
Egocentric maniac with penchant for public display!
Hate this type with passion.

Oh I forgot, d pple r poor nigerians too.
Clap for urself!
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by TrickofTech: 1:33pm On Aug 31, 2013
yellowpawpaw: What rubbish!
D day u want to buy something for ur mum,dad,galfriend come and ask too.
Egocentric maniac with penchant for public display!
Hate this type with passion.

Oh I forgot, d pple r poor nigerians too.
Clap for urself!

Lmao at you! I am glad the family are not filthy little in-grates like you! smiley As it happens, they were very kind and hospitable to me in Nigeria, and we are very close. They are poor compared to me...what do you want me to do? Lie? It is not like I am saying "here poor little Nigerian...have some money!"...I am aware they are not well off, I care about them (I LIVED WITH THEM!) so I thought they would appreciate a gift (I have told them it is a GIFT). There is nothing expected in return, no sympathy involved...privately I understand my FRIENDS situation, and I thought they might like it.

I can tell no-one has ever been genuinely kind to you before you sad little man smiley ...people are unlikely to be if you continue with that attitude. I am not religious, but even I know that PRIDE and JEALOUSLY is sinful. KINDNESS, COMPASSION and FRIENDSHIP is promoted by all the major religions. Perhaps you need to look into this my friend and work on yourself a bit.

Have a nice day! wink

3 Likes

Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by TrickofTech: 1:38pm On Aug 31, 2013
...back to my original question. Would a gift of around N8000 be appreciated by a Nigerian? To much? Or too little? Or just about right? This is a genuine question...I don't really know how much N8000 would be 'worth' to a Nigerian family...and I am eager not to disappoint them.
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by Nobody: 2:39pm On Aug 31, 2013
If they are.poor I am sure they will appreciate any amount of money you give them.
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by Nobody: 2:41pm On Aug 31, 2013
That's around 49.3 USD ,since you are rich you can give them more than that
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by Enegod(m): 2:42pm On Aug 31, 2013
smh
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by TrickofTech: 2:46pm On Aug 31, 2013
IvyBlue: That's around 49.3 USD ,since you are rich you can give them more than that

Awesome. Thank you for the honest reply. I am not hugely rich! But I can probably afford to give N 10,000 max. It is a special occasion...and I have made it clear to them that this is why I am giving it.

They already know my plans, but not the amount. I just didn't want them to get their hopes up...thinking I was going to give them N 1 million or something!!!!!

But N 8,000-N 10,000 feels about right...I just hope they like it and are not disappointed.

Is $ 50 a lot to most Nigerians?
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by TrickofTech: 2:48pm On Aug 31, 2013
Enegod: smh

(smh right back at ya smiley)
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by OmoAlata1(f): 2:50pm On Aug 31, 2013
$50 is kinda cheap, almost like an insult. You should send between $100-$200. It will make a big difference.

4 Likes

Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by TrickofTech: 2:53pm On Aug 31, 2013
Lol. Its creeping up!!!!!! Please be honest you guys. I am not hugely rich, don't go trying to convince me to empty my bank account!!!! I am trying to do a nice thing here.

but...if you are sure $50 is cheap I will give more.
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by OmoAlata1(f): 2:54pm On Aug 31, 2013
TrickofTech: Lol. Its creeping up!!!!!! Please be honest you guys. I am not hugely rich, don't go trying to convince me to empty my bank account!!!! I am trying to do a nice thing here.

but...if you are sure $50 is cheap I will give more.

Make it $100. I think that is a decent amount
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by TrickofTech: 2:56pm On Aug 31, 2013
Omo_Alata:

Cool. I hope they are okay with it. I don't want to give too much or too little. It has to be just right.
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by Nobody: 2:56pm On Aug 31, 2013
Omo_Alata:

I think 500 USD is reasonable
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by TrickofTech: 2:57pm On Aug 31, 2013
IvyBlue:

I think 500 USD is reasonable

Lol. Stop it now...not funny.

"I think $5 million and a new Lamborghini would be reasonable" cheesy
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by Nobody: 2:59pm On Aug 31, 2013
TrickofTech:

Lol. Stop it now.

That amount will help them.start.some business so that next.time you don't feel the need to come.to their rescue ...if you have ever been poor you will understand
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by Nobody: 3:00pm On Aug 31, 2013
TrickofTech:

Lol. Stop it now...not funny.

"I think $5 million and a new Lamborghini would be reasonable" cheesy

LOL !
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by TrickofTech: 3:11pm On Aug 31, 2013
IvyBlue:

That amount will help them.start.some business so that next.time you don't feel the need to come.to their rescue ...if you have ever been poor you will understand

I do understand. But this is NOT "lets rinse the foreigner for all we can get"...nor am I trying to advise them on how to get out of poverty. This maybe hard to believe, but we are genuinely good friends. I have met some Nigerians that have said that "they could never fully trust an outsider/foreigner". Well I believe the family got past that with me...and I felt very close to them and I do care about them (we consider each other near family). I just want them to be happy...and I want them to spend the money on something that will make them happy.

I understand that people are naturally suspicious, but you have to imagine that this is one Nigerian friend giving another Nigerian friend a gift on a special occasion. That's it.
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by OmoAlata1(f): 3:14pm On Aug 31, 2013
Not everyone can afford $500 o. I think $100 is doable n reasonable.

1 Like

Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by TrickofTech: 3:19pm On Aug 31, 2013
Omo_Alata: Not everyone can afford $500 o. I think $100 is doable n reasonable.

Brilliant! Thank you for you honest advice guys! smiley $ 100 it is! Apologizes to yellowpawpaw for my earlier comments too. I was wrong to lash out like that. I just didn't like being labelled in that way...but I didn't NEED to defend myself. I know why I am doing it.

Thank you again guys.

Peace.
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by sotum2: 12:07pm On Sep 01, 2013
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by Winneygirl(f): 2:14pm On Sep 01, 2013
I think U've got it penciled down.
$100-200.
But I'd advise U do not raise their hope next time.
If U want 2 give somethng, make up Ur mind and do it so that the period btw when U tell them and when U deliver will be just a few days.

1 Like

Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by Winneygirl(f): 2:27pm On Sep 01, 2013
I gats 2 tell dis story.
A relative lost his Dad and informed a cousin 'abroad' of it.
Now, his Dad was like a Father 2 dis cousin who was an orphan 4rm childhood.
D cousin was so touched and promised sending money. We thought him loaded.
When d money was sent, my relative strutted 2 d Bank with arms flying in d air. He saw a long queue but jumped forward 2 d Bank Staff. When he was asked 2 join d queue, he raised hell. Explained his sad predicament of having 2 organize a funeral, infact..."What kind of customer service do U people think U're offering?? I wouldn't bank with U if this was the last bank standing...bla..bla..bla"
Well, guess how much it was??
N23,000.
He shamefully, quietly left the bank with downcast eyes.
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by TrickofTech: 2:40pm On Sep 01, 2013
Winneygirl: I gats 2 tell dis story.
A relative lost his Dad and informed a cousin 'abroad' of it.
Now, his Dad was like a Father 2 dis cousin who was an orphan 4rm childhood.
D cousin was so touched and promised sending money. We thought him loaded.
When d money was sent, my relative strutted 2 d Bank with arms flying in d air. He saw a long queue but jumped forward 2 d Bank Staff. When he was asked 2 join d queue, he raised hell. Explained his sad predicament of having 2 organize a funeral, infact..."What kind of customer service do U people think U're offering?? I wouldn't bank with U if this was the last bank standing...bla..bla..bla"
Well, guess how much it was??
N23,000.
He shamefully, quietly left the bank with downcast eyes.

Ahhhhh, don't say that! sad They know I am not rich. It is a special occasion (a family members birthday) and they know it is like a one off gift, with reasons behind it.

I understand your point and if I am honest, I had been planning to just send it and call them that day to explain it all...but I got excited and let it slip on the phone.

I was under the impression that 23,000 Naira was a lot of money to most people in Nigeria. It is like a months wages for many people is is not? (I am not being disrespectful...I honestly don't know, this is why I began this post).

I am trying to do a good thing here. Like I say, I do really care about them all. I don't want this to backfire.

I am planning to message the family on the day...and state the amount of money. I just hope $100-$200 will not disappoint them.
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by Nobody: 3:21pm On Sep 01, 2013
Nigerians are that poor? shocked
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by TrickofTech: 3:30pm On Sep 01, 2013
IvyBlue: Nigerians are that poor? shocked

As I have said. I do not know! This is why I am asking. I have stayed in Nigeria...and people seemed pretty poor to me. The family live in one of the poorest states in Nigeria...I know that much. A Nigerian told me that teachers earn around 1000 Naira a day! That is like $6! That is pretty poor. Where I am from, a teacher earns double that...per hour! I am not bragging...I just need to make sure that I will not offend the people I care about. I wanted to make the day special...not insult them.

Where I am from, a friend/family would be happy to receive $70 as a gift...maybe less. If anything...this is generous.

How much would you give a close friend and family as a gift on a birthday? Be honest!
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by Nobody: 3:38pm On Sep 01, 2013
Where you from?
I usually don't give cash as gifts so I really dont know.how much I would.give ...

TrickofTech:

As I have said. I do not know! This is why I am asking. I have stayed in Nigeria...and people seemed pretty poor to me. The family live in one of the poorest states in Nigeria...I know that much. A Nigerian told me that teachers earn around 1000 Naira a day! That is like $6! That is pretty poor. Where I am from, a teacher earns double that...per hour! I am not bragging...I just need to make sure that I will not offend the people I care about. I wanted to make the day special...not insult them.

Where I am from, a friend/family would be happy to receive $70 as a gift...maybe less. If anything...this is generous.

How much would you give a close friend and family as a gift on a birthday? Be honest!
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by TrickofTech: 4:25pm On Sep 01, 2013
IvyBlue: Where you from?
I usually don't give cash as gifts so I really dont know.how much I would.give ...

Not Nigeria. Lol. I am oyinbo! smiley Scotland. Wealth is relative anyway. A driver in Lagos might earn more than a driver in Osun state. Foods and other goods might be more expensive in Osun state than they are in Lagos. $70 would not buy you a huge amount of goods in the US, but it might be a huge amount to a beggar or hawker in Osun state.

You see my point? This family is not well off, they are not in a nice gated house in Lagos. They live in one of the poorer cities in Nigeria and they "appeared" poor to me. I would like to give them an amount that I can afford (I am far from rich by Scottish standards) but that is not insulting or disrespectful.

I would have sent them a birthday present...but this is difficult given that they are thousands of miles away!
Besides...what would be more useful to them...a novelty, poorly chosen present...or the money to spent on what they want/feel they need.
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by TrickofTech: 4:32pm On Sep 01, 2013
TrickofTech:

Not Nigeria. Lol. I am oyinbo! smiley Scotland. Wealth is relative anyway. A driver in Lagos might earn more than a driver in Osun state. Foods and other goods might be more expensive in Osun state than they are in Lagos. $70 would not buy you a huge amount of goods in the US, but it might be a huge amount to a beggar or hawker in Osun state.

You see my point? This family is not well off, they are not in a nice gated house in Lagos. They live in one of the poorer cities in Nigeria and they "appeared" poor to me. I would like to give them an amount that I can afford (I am far from rich by Scottish standards) but that is not insulting or disrespectful.

I would have sent them a birthday present...but this is difficult given that they are thousands of miles away!
Besides...what would be more useful to them...a novelty, poorly chosen present...or the money to spent on what they want/feel they need.

But I have decided anyway. N20,000 seems about right for me. I am going to talk to them soon and I will state the amount before the birthday. This way I will ensure that there is no disappointment on the day. I am sure they will be appreciative of it. It is only a birthday after all...and I am not really sure that Nigerians do birthday presents (do they?). We are close and to be honest, I think they are more impressed that I have thought about them enough to offer the gift in the first place.
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by Winneygirl(f): 4:45pm On Sep 01, 2013
^^Erm....why don't U just give the gift and stop rationalizing anything??
No offense intended. Just that I'm not the beneficiary of the gift, and the anticipation is already high!!
Just give the gift and stop worrying. It's the thought that counts.
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by Nobody: 4:48pm On Sep 01, 2013
Nigerians don't do birthday presents? cheesy
Are you serious?so you also think they still wear leaves too ?
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by TrickofTech: 4:49pm On Sep 01, 2013
Winneygirl: ^^Erm....why don't U just give the gift and stop rationalizing anything??
No offense intended. Just that I'm not the beneficiary of the gift, and the anticipation is already high!!
Just give the gift and stop worrying. It's the thought that counts.

Lol. Phew! I think I needed that, thank you (or eshe poopor...apologizes for the spelling!). Like I have said. I just care about them, I want the day to be special.

Thank you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Do You Like Twins?? ..... Get In Here!!! / Natural Weight Or Fat Management Therapy / Pls Help Me Save My Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.