Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,018 members, 7,838,559 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 04:16 AM

How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? (7275 Views)

Help Me Suggest Xmas Gift For My Mum And Dad / Aunty Babyosisi's Token Christmas Gift For An Unemployed Youth / Buying Car As A Gift For Your Children, Right Or Wrong? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by Nobody: 9:09pm On Sep 07, 2013
^^ Thanks Army grin

I think my headache just came back grin
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by TrickofTech: 9:11pm On Sep 07, 2013
armyofone: Go with 130 dollars to WU office. Tell them you are sending 100 dollars to Hauwa grin. They will tell you the fee/charge which is about 20 0r 22 dollars.
You understand?

Lol. Ahhh ok. Well that isn't true. I am doing online. The charge is about $8 to send to Nigeria according to the WU calculator (and I have factored this into the amount I am sending). It also says "no hidden fees, no receiver costs".

I assume that's it...all done and dusted. They can withdraw the amount with no extra charges.
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by Nobody: 9:17pm On Sep 07, 2013
$8? .. Ah well I guess WU out to rip some of us off then .. I'm calling them right away angry hold that thot!
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by TrickofTech: 9:20pm On Sep 07, 2013
Perhaps it is because I am doing it online.

I just don't want them to start charging at the other end (when the family try to withdraw). But from what it says on the website...this will not happen.
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by Nobody: 9:35pm On Sep 07, 2013
Yep it's $23 service charge.
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by TrickofTech: 10:07pm On Sep 07, 2013
jidegirl12: Yep it's $23 service charge.

Really? Is that to withdraw? Or send?
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by Nobody: 10:25pm On Sep 07, 2013
armyofone: Go with 130 dollars to WU office. Tell them you are sending 100 dollars to Hauwa grin. They will tell you the fee/charge which is about 20 0r 22 dollars.
You understand?

Not Hauwa in your case grin
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by TrickofTech: 10:42pm On Sep 07, 2013
jidegirl12:

Not Hauwa in your case grin

Lol. This is painful! Now even I have a headache.

Spoken to them...attempted to explain that I was going to send it through WU...not easy given the added language barrier! I am pretty sure they still don't get it. They were chuffed with the amount though.

I am going to just attempt WU and then text them instructions step by step. I just hope their ID matches the name they have given...that they wont have to "dash"/pay extra charges to access the amount...and that their bank branch actually has a WU agent/service.

Fingers crossed!
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by Nobody: 10:53pm On Sep 07, 2013
You don't have to send $100 if you can't afford the extra service charge, just give the WU agent the $100 and tell them to send the change, $80 (sebi you have$3change).. That's enough !

Man you just worsen my migraine .. You're handful man
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by TrickofTech: 11:12pm On Sep 07, 2013
jidegirl12: You don't have to send $100 if you can't afford the extra service charge, just give the WU agent the $100 and tell them to send the change, $80 (sebi you have$3change).. That's enough !

Man you just worsen my migraine .. You're handful man

Okay, okay thank you. I get it. Like I say, I am doing it online so I am not even using an agent. The family will have to use an agent at the other end though (Nigeria)!

Next problem...the family use a GTBank branch that DOES NOT have a WU agent/service. However, there is another GTBank branch a few streets away that DOES have a WU agent/service.

Will they still be able to withdraw from the WU agent/service at the other GTBank and then deposit it in their account...even though this is not their primary GTBank branch?

If yes...then I will have to go through the exhausting process of trying to explain this to them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by Nobody: 11:22pm On Sep 07, 2013
Last time I checked you can walk into any bank to retrieve WU transfer in Nigeria. undecided

Or use Money gram if GT operates that.

When you said you're doing it online, do you mean via your bank account ( online banking?) Cos last time I also checked money transfer to Nigeria via WU ( debit/ credit card payment) is not allowed.our 419 people wrecked our reputation and integrity yeah.
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by armyofone(m): 11:55pm On Sep 07, 2013
agent? damn very serious and migraine ish than I thought.
No need for agent.
Go to WU, send the money, text them the secret question and ans and then the number to claim the money. They go to a bank with ID/passport to redeem the money.
This one wey you dey so, na long thing and at the end, your recipient will take home 20 dollars.
be careful of the online thingy.
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by TrickofTech: 12:08am On Sep 08, 2013
armyofone: agent? damn very serious and migraine ish than I thought.
No need for agent.
Go to WU, send the money, text them the secret question and ans and then the number to claim the money. They go to a bank with ID/passport to redeem the money.
This one wey you dey so, na long thing and at the end, your recipient will take home 20 dollars.

Sorry guys but as I have found out. Yes you can do it online (it is all fine and above board). No, it is not $20 (well not for me anyway...more like $8...with no known charge for the receiver). Yes, they do still let to send to Nigeria and Yes, you can use your debit card!

1 Like

Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by Nobody: 12:34am On Sep 08, 2013
armyofone: agent? damn very serious and migraine ish than I thought.
No need for agent.

Hahahahaha cheesy cheesy

I hope this dude is on the right website , this $8 he's talking about pass me undecided
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by Winneygirl(f): 4:40am On Sep 08, 2013
This is starting to look clumsy. I'm having a headache already.
They can redeem WU at any bank. Send them the details. The bank staff will guide them.
No charge to the recipient.
Seriously. Stop worrying.
Let me know you've sent it.
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by TrickofTech: 6:44pm On Sep 13, 2013
Winneygirl: This is starting to look clumsy. I'm having a headache already.
They can redeem WU at any bank. Send them the details. The bank staff will guide them.
No charge to the recipient.
Seriously. Stop worrying.
Let me know you've sent it.

GTB Bank require a current account for 3 months before they will allow a WU transfer is this true?

Do the other major Nigerian Banks (Access, Skye, UBA, Ecobank, Keystone etc.) demand similar conditions for a WU transfer? What I mean is...could a Nigerian walk into one of these banks, with no existing savings or current account...and withdraw a WU transfer in cash?

If they cannot...my plans have been scuppered a bit sad sad sad
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by Winneygirl(f): 7:51pm On Sep 13, 2013
There's a requirement that a Bank knows its customers, that's why most banks will not allow a transaction of such pass through them from a Non-customer.
Although, every bank also has its own policy, some banks will allow the use of a savings account. Some will also allow a Guarantor on such amount.
WU can also be redeemed via quickteller.com. I picked only 2 banks on that platform. GTBank and Stanbic IBTC Bank. I know Stanbic Bank allows one redeem even with a savings account.
I think not redeeming into a savings account or an inactive current account is a policy, not a system based process.
If I were the recipient, I'd try quickteller.com, the ATM, or internet banking platform.
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by TrickofTech: 8:02pm On Sep 13, 2013
Winneygirl: There's a requirement that a Bank knows its customers, that's why most banks will not allow a transaction of such pass through them from a Non-customer.
Although, every bank also has its own policy, some banks will allow the use of a savings account. Some will also allow a Guarantor on such amount.
Let me make 1 or 2 enquiries.

Thank you so much smiley I hope the family are not too stressed out by this all!
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by Nobody: 9:05pm On Sep 13, 2013
GTB require current account.

UBA requires savings.

Access bank, I think it's savings. Not sure.

You can ask them to get someone with a current account then send the money to the person, while they take it from him.
Meanwhile,it's over 3 months now and you still haven't sent the money.

The birthday go do finish sef.
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by TrickofTech: 9:42pm On Sep 13, 2013
Chillisauce: GTB require current account.

UBA requires savings.

Access bank, I think it's savings. Not sure.

You can ask them to get someone with a current account then send the money to the person, while they take it from him.
Meanwhile,it's over 3 months now and you still haven't sent the money.

The birthday go do finish sef.

I will have to see if she knows (trusts) anyone with a full current account at any of the banks...I already feel a little bad because I have suggested that she try other banks...poor woman has probably been running around trying to get it already sad

I do have a back up plan. Believe it or not...but I am acquaintances with the manager of an Access Bank branch near to her! I won't go into details about how!...but we met at a social function when I was in Nigeria and then again in his office (after he gave me his business card).
...so my back up plan is to call him and ask if he could do me a favor. He was always very friendly...and I was very polite to him. This will sound bad...but I could play on the fact that I am 'oyinbo' and try to persuade him to just pay her out the cash without an account (please do not take this the wrong way...I just want my friend and her family to get the money...and not be disappointed).
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by Ifyann: 10:04pm On Sep 13, 2013
TrickofTech: Lol. Its creeping up!!!!!! Please be honest you guys. I am not hugely rich, don't go trying to convince me to empty my bank account!!!! I am trying to do a nice thing here.

but...if you are sure $50 is cheap I will give more.
$50 are u for real? Pls if you really like this people and you want to help them, give them something reasonable at least $200 to $500.
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by Nobody: 4:29pm On Sep 23, 2013
Ifyann: $50 are u for real? Pls if you really like this people and you want to help them, give them something reasonable at least $200 to $500.
dat money is poor ($500) what's worth doing is worth doing well,like $1000, cos wen ℓ had £500 (#100,000) under 1 month dere was nothing in my accnt . If na person like me, u send $100 4, ℓ no go appreciate ˚ƍöôϑ˚˚ Oº°˚˚° , no hard feelings jst dey say my mind.
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by Nobody: 6:44pm On Sep 23, 2013
alexdellafonte: dat money is poor ($500) what's worth doing is worth doing well,like $1000, cos wen ℓ had £500 (#100,000) under 1 month dere was nothing in my accnt . If na person like me, u send $100 4, ℓ no go appreciate ˚ƍöôϑ˚˚ Oº°˚˚° , no hard feelings jst dey say my mind.

You no go appreciate ?ungrateful much
You didn't work for it ,so any amount will do!
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by Nobody: 7:17pm On Sep 23, 2013
IvyBlue:

You no go appreciate ?ungrateful much
You didn't work for it ,so any amount will do!
frm my perspective $100 datz abt 15k is poor, u knw nigerians nd da mentality so far na $ dem go feel say na big cash, wen d cash finally arrive na 15k
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by TrickofTech: 8:28pm On Sep 26, 2013
The family member knew the amount. I told them a few days after I had said that I was going to wire them it...to make sure they didn't get their hopes up too much.

I don't know why some posters are getting on my back so much! undecided The amount I sent was N17,000 in the end and they were very grateful. As I have already said, they are not very rich at all. I don't know where you live? Abuja maybe? This family lived in very poor conditions and I knew this amount would be well received...it is a lot for me! So back off abi! tongue

Anyway, that is not the reason I wanted to post. I just wanted to say that...they money has been picked up!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

I am so happy. I missed the birthday by a few days, but it doesn't matter, because it got there in the end cheesy I am very relieved.
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by armyofone(m): 8:29pm On Sep 26, 2013
Thank you!
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by TrickofTech: 8:30pm On Sep 26, 2013
Thank you for everyone that commented.

You have all been such a huge help smiley
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by Nobody: 8:32pm On Sep 26, 2013
3 pages, 2 months thread for 17k naira. Ok o
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by TrickofTech: 8:45pm On Sep 26, 2013
Chillisauce: 3 pages, 2 months thread for 17k naira. Ok o

I can tell you are the sort of person that doesn't appreciate kindness. Spoilt perhaps? tongue

I am happy that I did something nice for my friends...Luckily the family aren't as ungrateful as you smiley O dabo oremi...O ko smiley
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by Nobody: 8:49pm On Sep 26, 2013
TrickofTech:

I can tell you are the sort of person that doesn't appreciate kindness. Spoilt perhaps? tongue

I am happy that I did something nice for my friends...Luckily the family aren't as ungrateful as you smiley O dabo oremi o smiley

tongue tongue

My birthday is coming up on November, I just wanna tell you now. Hopefully, by the time you create a thread for me and ask some questions it will be November . Hence my stating it now.

Btw, I won't take 17 k o, I just want a paid ticket and 4 days accommodation in las vegas. What say u? undecided cool
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by TrickofTech: 8:57pm On Sep 26, 2013
Chillisauce:

tongue tongue

My birthday is coming up on November, I just wanna tell you now. Hopefully, by the time you create a thread for me and ask some questions it will be November . Hence my stating it now.

Btw, I won't take 17 k o, I just want a paid ticket and 4 days accommodation in las vegas. What say u? undecided cool

A good deed is a good deed. They knew the 'gift' might take sometime to get there...and to be honest, they didn't care, because it doesn't matter. 17k is a lot to this family and besides, we have a saying in the west..."it is the thought that counts" (would they have preferred that I forgot about them?...and sent no 'gift' at all?).

You seem to have me mistaken for some millionaire banker! cool Sadly I am not, besides, there is more to life than money...friendship being one.

As for the Las Vegas comment...sorry o, I do not associate with 'oyinbo hunters!' cool cool cool cheesy cool
Re: How Many Naira Would Be A Good 'gift' For A Nigerian Friend? by Nobody: 9:02pm On Sep 26, 2013
TrickofTech:

A good deed is a good deed. They knew the 'gift' might take sometime to get there...and to be honest, they didn't care, because it doesn't matter. 17k is a lot to this family and besides, we have a saying in the west..."it is the thought that counts" (would they have preferred that I forgot about them?...and sent no 'gift' at all?).

You seem to have me mistaken for some millionaire banker! cool Sadly I am not, besides, there is more to life than money...friendship being one.

As for the Las Vegas comment...sorry, I do not associate with 'oyinbo hunters!' cool cool cool cheesy cool

All these your epistle for your small change o. The family is poor, the family is poor...na wa!

So you are not buying the ticket? Stingy boy!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Does Your Spouse Know Your Username On Nairaland Forum? / First Man To Give Birth / Little Children's Annoying Habits.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.