Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,603 members, 7,809,191 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:03 AM

Banks Dishonour Taraba’s Cheques - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Banks Dishonour Taraba’s Cheques (13171 Views)

Fayose Extends Ikere Dualisation Project, Distributes Cheques - Photos / Alleged Asset Falsification: The Paths Before Saraki; Of Honour and Dishonour / GCON-Grand Crook Of The Order Of Niger, Nigeria National Dishonour Awards (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Banks Dishonour Taraba’s Cheques by bennieman: 6:24am On Sep 02, 2013
Banks are rejecting Taraba State transactions done by Deputy Governor Garba Umar.

They have not honoured cheques tendered by the deputy governor seeking withdrawals from the treasury since ailing Governor Danbaba Suntai returned on August 25.

Umar, on Thursday, told banks that government’s financial transactions should be honoured only if they are in tandem with the provisions of the law.

He said: “The instruments must contain verifiable signature of the Executive Governor of Taraba, Danbaba Suntai and verifiable signature of Alhaji Garba Umar, the Acting Governor of Taraba State.”

But a source told The Nation that a bank dishonoured a cheque tendered for withdrawal.

The source said for now, the deputy governor can only make withdrawals from his personal accounts.

The state’s monthly federal allocations are channeled through Zenith Bank.

The state also operates a Local Government Joint Account with United Bank for Africa (UBA).

Over N23.3 billion is in the state’s treasury, The Nation learnt.

Suntai spent 10 months in Germany and the United States treating the injuries he sustained when a plane he flew crashed near Yola, Adamawa State on October 25 last year.

He returned suddenly, apparently to neutralise his deputy who allegedly schemed to consolidate his hold on power.

His return has deepened the division in the state which was polarised along religious lines.

The crisis became explosive when Suntai purportedly dissolved the executive and appointed a new Chief of Staff and a Secretary to the State Government (SSG), a move the deputy governor rejected, saying a cabal had hijacked power.

House of Assembly Speaker Haruna Tsokwa and 15 other lawmakers are backing the deputy governor in the power struggle.

The Speaker said Suntai should return to the United States to complete his treatment while his deputy continues to act.

But Majority Leader Joseph Albasu and seven other legislators have given Suntai the go-ahead to resume work, after he transmitted a letter to the House.

The sacked commissioners and advisers as well as the Christian majority in the state appear to be comfortable with Suntai.

The commissioners on Friday shunned an exco meeting scheduled by the deputy governor.

The Presidency and the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), the Muslim Council and key stakeholders are trying to prevent the state from sliding into chaos.

It was also gathered that the deputy governor and the Speaker were preparing papers for a law suit against the governor over the transmitted letter which the Speaker alleged was forged.

The acting governor, the Speaker and the former Commissioner of Justice and Attorney General of the State, Timothy Kataps, who is now the SSG, are defendants in a case filed by Senator Usman Danboyi, praying the court to compel the accused persons to make Suntai’s health status public.

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/banks-dishonour-tarabas-cheques/

1 Like

Re: Banks Dishonour Taraba’s Cheques by Hadone(m): 6:58am On Sep 02, 2013
DO YOU SIMPLY MEAN TO SAY THE BANKS PREPARE A FORGED SIGNATURE? IT IS NOW CLEAR TO EVERY BODY THAT SUNTAI DONT EVEN KNOW WHAT IS SIGNATURE AT HIS PRESENT CONDITION. EVERY WELL MEANING NIGERIAN IS ESPECTED TO PRAY FOR SUNTAI TO GET BACK TO HIS SENSES FIRST AND THEN TO GET WELL IN BODY AND SPIRIT. I JUST DONT KNOW WHY THEY BRING HIM BACK JUST TO ABUSE HIM.

1 Like

Re: Banks Dishonour Taraba’s Cheques by mrking3(m): 7:01am On Sep 02, 2013
This banks are sick!! So what if suntai drops dead now? Does that mean he would have to wake up from †ђξ grave to sign †ђξ cheques?

2 Likes

Re: Banks Dishonour Taraba’s Cheques by mrking3(m): 7:01am On Sep 02, 2013
Fixed
Re: Banks Dishonour Taraba’s Cheques by eightsin(m): 7:03am On Sep 02, 2013
Confusion in Taraba. Now, even d banks dnt knw who is in charge.
Re: Banks Dishonour Taraba’s Cheques by mrking3(m): 7:11am On Sep 02, 2013
eightsin: Confusion in Taraba. Now, even d banks dnt knw who is in charge.
†ђξ banks are crazy!! And I think their actions have political undertone! Why are they trying to make issues complex? Its simple! †ђξ deputy Governor is now in charge! By virtue of his acting capacity as †ђξ Executive Governor of †ђξ state in †ђξ absent of †ђξ ailing Governor!!! †ђξ question I asked previously is still begging for answer! What if †ђξ Governor doesn't come back alive? (God forbid!) Does that mean †ђξ state would have to stand still until he wakes up from †ђξ grave to append his signatures on financial documents? Sentiment apart! We have to be rational!!

2 Likes

Re: Banks Dishonour Taraba’s Cheques by achael(m): 7:41am On Sep 02, 2013
This crisis has strong religious undertone! embarassed

2 Likes

Re: Banks Dishonour Taraba’s Cheques by Danhumprey: 8:43am On Sep 02, 2013
It's obvious that the ailing Governor,Danbaba Suntai is still in charge.
Re: Banks Dishonour Taraba’s Cheques by bionicdude(m): 8:49am On Sep 02, 2013
d constitution said that once d governor transmits a letter he is in power.he doesn't need the opinion of anyone.so d banks are supposedto honour danbaba's checks coz by the constitution he is d governor.d only way danbaba will be removed is if he steps down or is impeached or d house pass a resolution in which a medical evaluation on him is done and d results prove dat he can't rule.For now Danbaba is the governor

8 Likes

Re: Banks Dishonour Taraba’s Cheques by Nobody: 9:10am On Sep 02, 2013
mr_king: †ђξ banks are crazy!! And I think their actions have political undertone! Why are they trying to make issues complex? Its simple! †ђξ deputy Governor is now in charge! By virtue of his acting capacity as †ђξ Executive Governor of †ђξ state in †ђξ absent of †ђξ ailing Governor!!! †ђξ question I asked previously is still begging for answer! What if †ђξ Governor doesn't come back alive? (God forbid!) Does that mean †ђξ state would have to stand still until he wakes up from †ђξ grave to append his signatures on financial documents? Sentiment apart! We have to be rational!!

the answer to your question is starring you in the face, cant you see? 'if'. We will cross the bridge when we get there but for now, the man elected as gov is fully on ground. As of health fitness only medical persennel can determine that. Who is even 100% fit health wise? We all have our health challenges
Re: Banks Dishonour Taraba’s Cheques by alphaconde(m): 9:24am On Sep 02, 2013
These problems are simply signs of end times

1 Like

Re: Banks Dishonour Taraba’s Cheques by Aderemi275(m): 9:24am On Sep 02, 2013
Do I need 2 comment
Re: Banks Dishonour Taraba’s Cheques by clemmonce(m): 9:25am On Sep 02, 2013
Had_one: DO YOU SIMPLY MEAN TO SAY THE BANKS PREPARE A FORGED SIGNATURE? IT IS NOW CLEAR TO EVERY BODY THAT SUNTAI DONT EVEN KNOW WHAT IS SIGNATURE AT HIS PRESENT CONDITION. EVERY WELL MEANING NIGERIAN IS ESPECTED TO PRAY FOR SUNTAI TO GET BACK TO HIS SENSES FIRST AND THEN TO GET WELL IN BODY AND SPIRIT. I JUST DONT KNOW WHY THEY BRING HIM BACK JUST TO ABUSE HIM.
did u read the articie ? lazy student

4 Likes

Re: Banks Dishonour Taraba’s Cheques by otokx(m): 9:27am On Sep 02, 2013
Is this story true?
Re: Banks Dishonour Taraba’s Cheques by amiskurie(m): 9:30am On Sep 02, 2013
the love for power is being shown by the two camps.the gorvernor and his deputy are both theives.

1 Like

Re: Banks Dishonour Taraba’s Cheques by BabaEleko(m): 9:56am On Sep 02, 2013
Chdhkhdzaryik
Re: Banks Dishonour Taraba’s Cheques by BabaEleko(m): 9:56am On Sep 02, 2013
Sorry for the typo. Please, anybody know what I can do about this my garri, I don sock am for 3 days now but e no gree swell.

2 Likes

Re: Banks Dishonour Taraba’s Cheques by Maidoki14(m): 9:58am On Sep 02, 2013
D deputy governor is not relevant any longer.
Re: Banks Dishonour Taraba’s Cheques by wellmax(m): 10:00am On Sep 02, 2013
Was Suntain at the just concluded PDP convention?

1 Like

Re: Banks Dishonour Taraba’s Cheques by Onyenna(m): 10:02am On Sep 02, 2013
Well, it's obvious Suntai is still very much in charge

1 Like

Re: Banks Dishonour Taraba’s Cheques by vladimiros: 10:03am On Sep 02, 2013
END TIME TINZ
Re: Banks Dishonour Taraba’s Cheques by elmajid(m): 10:04am On Sep 02, 2013
grin grin grin
amiskurie: the love for power is being shown by the two camps.the gorvernor and his deputy are both theives.
Re: Banks Dishonour Taraba’s Cheques by bizfirst: 10:10am On Sep 02, 2013
the Nigerian dramas never cease to amaze me...what is this crude love for power? I smell a cabal at work!
Re: Banks Dishonour Taraba’s Cheques by janvier27(m): 10:11am On Sep 02, 2013
Tough one for the banks. Either way, there are professional and political implications. The safest would be to defer to the Executive Governor who has notified them of his return and without any authorized communication as to his incapability. But then, is the Governor a signatory to the accounts? The signatories would likely be the Accountant-General and his staff as usually applicable in public accounts.

1 Like

Re: Banks Dishonour Taraba’s Cheques by ojofu(m): 10:11am On Sep 02, 2013
but what is giving the deputy Gov the effrontery to say that banks should not honour Gov suntai cheque or does he know something we don't know because I can't imagine a Governor of a state in nigeria.signing a cheque then the deputy Gov will say that they should not honour it. I am very sure that a fully fit suntai would not allow that and would respond immediately. if this guy is fit as we are made to believe then we are they hidding him, why is everybody speaking for him as if he is deaf and dumb, I can't imagine a fashola signing a cheque then his deputy will order banks not to honour it, that one na trouble the deputy dey find.

1 Like

Re: Banks Dishonour Taraba’s Cheques by Fiawest(m): 10:17am On Sep 02, 2013
mr_king: †ђξ banks are crazy!! And I think their actions have political undertone! Why are they trying to make issues complex? Its simple! †ђξ deputy Governor is now in charge! By virtue of his acting capacity as †ђξ Executive Governor of †ђξ state in †ђξ absent of †ђξ ailing Governor!!! †ђξ question I asked previously is still begging for answer! What if †ђξ Governor doesn't come back alive? (God forbid!) Does that mean †ђξ state would have to stand still until he wakes up from †ђξ grave to append his signatures on financial documents? Sentiment apart! We have to be rational!!
so u think u are rational now....I tot u made a mistake in your first comment,when I saw d repeat version of it,I gave up.Is Suntai dead now
Re: Banks Dishonour Taraba’s Cheques by eldoradoxx: 10:32am On Sep 02, 2013
The position of law is very clear. After a governor whose Deputy acted in his capacity in his absence returns to office, the constitution provides that he only needs to transmit a letter notifying the assembly of his assumption of his office. He does not ask the assembly to pass a resolution whether or not he should resume as by law, he is the Governor and the other merely acted as a Governor. The issue of his health is a different matter which the constitution provides different means of determining whether or not he is incapacitated. It does not lie in the mouth of the speaker with 15 other memebers or indeed all the members to by mere resolution determine whether or not Suntai is incapacitated. It is a process that is commenced by the Executive council and involves medical experts including Suntai's personal doctors and other doctors nominated by the House. If they upom detailed medical inquest determine he is incapacitated to be a Governor, then 2/3 majority of the House will pass a resolution removing him and the deputy begins Governor. As at now, Suntai is legally the Governor of Taraba State whether he is too sick or not because he has sent a letter to the House of Assembly notifying them he is back. The banks therefore can only act on Suntai's authorisation and not on Deputy Governor.

3 Likes

Re: Banks Dishonour Taraba’s Cheques by iGeneral: 10:52am On Sep 02, 2013
This is a non issue as far as am concerned. There are far more important issues of national importance. Imagine for instance the havoc being wreaked on the nation by the non-release of the long promised robust response by 'Pastor' Abiodun Fatoyinbo of Coza. That's a more serious issue than banks not honouring some forged cheques.

1 Like

Re: Banks Dishonour Taraba’s Cheques by nairalandabdul: 11:02am On Sep 02, 2013
I want to know how the deputy governor started acting in the first instance after the accident,did he need the approval of the house or a letter from the governor in coma or hw does this work..
Re: Banks Dishonour Taraba’s Cheques by baynix(m): 11:04am On Sep 02, 2013
DAYUMMMMMMN!!! This Is Som "Who Are You Shii'!" grin grin
Re: Banks Dishonour Taraba’s Cheques by Nobody: 11:06am On Sep 02, 2013
Igbos in the house I need help, abeg how I go cook abacha with palm oil nah??. quick! hunger dey fry ma black arrse
Re: Banks Dishonour Taraba’s Cheques by DoubleFaith(m): 11:08am On Sep 02, 2013

What are you talking about. When an account mandate says two must sign, two must surely sign before withdrawal. When it says gov must sign, gov must surely sign before withdrawal...except there is written and perfected documentation in a case of absence of any of the signatories...else nothing can be done. #so no just dey run mouth, just because you wan talk.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Felicia Oke Is Dead (Oyo APC Chairman's Wife) / APC Expels Inuwa Abdulkadir Over Anti-party Activity / Ganduje: Peter Obi’s Emergence Good Omen For APC, Minus For PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.