Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,154 members, 7,818,495 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:18 PM

Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? (31480 Views)

The Bantu people descended from the Igbos of Nigeria: / Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? / Town Or Clan Whose Original Dialect Is Closer To Central Igbo? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Nobody: 6:01pm On Sep 29, 2013
we share the same culture and same concept of life. we are from the same stock .saying we only share language similarities is bogus to say the least . at what period are those trades? agai i'm talking prior-during the migration, besides Igbos are Bantu.
Black Kenichi:
Actually There has been contact between West African and bantu speaking ethnic groups before the Europeans came along and colonised Africa. The was trade between the Igbo and other SE Nigerian ethnics and Bantu speaking ethnics from Gabon & Eq Guinea.

Which bantu are you talking about? The Zulu? Xhosa? Bakongo? Bateke? Tswana? Kikuyu? Luhya? Herero?
There's no such thing as Bantu unity! The only thing that the Bantu have in common is their closely related language group!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bantu_languages
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bantu_peoples

Other than closely related languages the Bantu have very little in common.

Of course. The "Bantu" migrants were incredibly skilled farmers and great blacksmiths, while the Africans in pre "bantu" East, Central and Southern African weren't as advanced.

I don't know. The Bantu migration did start about 4000 years ago so we can never truly know.
in few words Bantu didn't go south and east because they feared West Af, as u early assumed.
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Fulaman198(m): 6:03pm On Sep 29, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: we share the same culture and same concept of life. we are from the same stock .saying we only share language similarities is bogus to say the least . at what period are those trades? agai i'm talking prior-during the migration, besides Igbos are Bantu. in few words Bantu didn't go south and east because they feared West Af, as u early assumed.

Igbos are not Bantus, they are Igboids (w/e that is) they do not speak a Bantu language. The only Bantu group currently in Nigeria are the TIV and they are considered Semi-Bantu

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by onila(f): 6:06pm On Sep 29, 2013
Fulaman198:

Igbos are not Bantus, they are Igboids (w/e that is) they do not speak a Bantu language. The only Bantu group currently in Nigeria are the TIV and they are considered Semi-Bantu

dont mind him

igbos dont have wide faces

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Nobody: 6:06pm On Sep 29, 2013
Fulaman198:

Igbos are Bantu. we are a patriarchal society, there is no such thing as Semi Bantu . Tiv are Bantu, effik are Bantu, Ibibio are Bantu and Igbos are Bantu . even in Cameroon we have some groups called semi Bantu E.g Bamileke.
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Nobody: 6:06pm On Sep 29, 2013
onila:

dont mind him

igbos dont have wide faces
isi ewu . how u dey? cool
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Fulaman198(m): 6:08pm On Sep 29, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: Igbos are Bantu. we are a patriarchal society, there is no such thing as Semi Bantu . Tiv are Bantu, effik are Bantu, Ibibio are Bantu and Igbos are Bantu . even in Cameroon we have some groups called semi Bantu E.g Bamileke.

Bantu implies of speaking a Bantu language.

Efik, Igbo and Ibibio are not Bantu.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igbo_language - Igbo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efik_language - Efik
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibibio_language - Ibibio
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiv_language - TIV

As you can see only Tiv is classified as Bantu

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by onila(f): 6:12pm On Sep 29, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: isi ewu . how u dey? cool
we dont have wide, round faces

stop calling eastern Nigerians bantu

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Nobody: 6:14pm On Sep 29, 2013
Fulaman198:

Bantu implies of speaking a Bantu language.

Efik, Igbo and Ibibio are not Bantu.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igbo_language - Igbo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efik_language - Efik
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibibio_language - Ibibio
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiv_language - TIV

As you can see only Tiv is classified as Bantu
language classifications are not always accurate ,and can't really b used to determine the origin or nature of a group of people.
livin int the mids of different and many languages esp in a country like Nigeria can create a lot of alterationsin the way people speak their own languages, what i'm saying is a lot of languages today were different 200 years ago.

if u were a white men trying to classify pidgin what would say? anglo saxoid?
how do u say advertisement in hausa?
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Nobody: 6:15pm On Sep 29, 2013
onila: we dont have wide, round faces

u should b proud to b called Bantu. it is an honor. Igbos must proud of their ancestry .
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Fulaman198(m): 6:15pm On Sep 29, 2013
onila: we dont have wide, round faces

Let us not act like Ayanle/Somali now, There are bantu people who do not have wide, round faces as well. All your Congolese singers are Bantu. Bantu is just a language group, not a physical look. I believe the Tutsi are also Bantu, they don't have wide faces.

2 Likes

Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by onila(f): 6:21pm On Sep 29, 2013
Fulaman198:

Let us not act like Ayanle/Somali now, There are bantu people who do not have wide, round faces as well. All your Congolese singers are Bantu. Bantu is just a language group, not a physical look. I believe the Tutsi are also Bantu, they don't have wide faces.

tutsi is not bantu

its known fact that tutsi came from somalia
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Nobody: 6:21pm On Sep 29, 2013
onila:

tutsi is not bantu

u better shut up. dumb azz
known by who? undecided
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by onila(f): 6:21pm On Sep 29, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: u should b proud to b called Bantu. it is an honor. Igbos must proud of their ancestry .

igbos dont look congolese

we dont have round faces

pls stop claiming us

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by onila(f): 6:22pm On Sep 29, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: u better shut up. dumb azz
known by who? undecided
tutsi look somali

in my anthropology african forum, we debate dat all the time

even tutsi believe they came from somalia area

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Nobody: 6:24pm On Sep 29, 2013
onila:

igbos dont look congolese

we dont have round faces

pls stop claiming us
anyanle no2 so i'm claiming u? anyway b it. Igbos are Bantu or what people call semi-Bantu just like effik Ibibio , anang ekoi, essang etc.
we sha-g-ged our way to igboland
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Fulaman198(m): 6:25pm On Sep 29, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE:
language classifications are not always accurate ,and can't really b used to determine the origin or nature of a group of people.
livin int the mids of different and many languages esp in a country like Nigeria can create a lot of alterationsin the way people speak their own languages, what i'm saying is a lot of languages today were different 200 years ago.

if u were a white men trying to classify pidgin what would say? anglo saxoid?
how do u say advertisement in hausa?

Pidgin is a language that is a Germanic language, it is derived from English (it is a dialect of English), however there is no such thing as a Pidgin ethnic group because Pidgin is spoken by most people in Anglophone West Africa. Even Patois which is what Jamaicans speak is classified as a Germanic English language.

Talla I believe is how you say advertisement in Hausa (but it means Promotion like to promote a product).
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Fulaman198(m): 6:26pm On Sep 29, 2013
onila:

tutsi is not bantu

LOL what is that you Onila?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tutsi#Language

Tutsi are not Somalis at all ROFL, they are Bantu, again, Bantu is a language group not a "physical look" please don't turn Ayanle/Somali on me
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by BlackKenichi(m): 6:26pm On Sep 29, 2013
Fulaman198: The only Nilotes we have in West Africa are the Kanuri (Beri-beri), and the various Songhai groups (Djerma/Zarma, Dendi, Sonrai Korya chinni, etc).
Technically they're not Nilotic. They're Nilo-Saharan. Nilotic is a branch of the Nilo-Saharan Language Phylum. Also Nilotics and Chadic/Central Saharan look different from each other.

Fulaman198: Wodabe Fulani like all Mbororo roots Fulani like myself (those who have always reared-cattle) are of Senegambian origin with roots also in Northern West Africa pre-Arabs. Touaregs are original Berbers who also have roots in North Africa.
That's true. However many West Africans have their origins further north as well. You gotta remember that the Sahara area only stated to become a desert about 8-9 kya.

Fulaman198: We are not related to Cushitic people but share some cultural similarities with them.
I'll take your word for it.

Fulaman198: I still believe that all west Africans though must have some root in present day Sudan. Sudan like Nigeria is one country that contains all the language groups of Africa.
I think the origins of Niger-Kordofanian West Africans is around Chad and the Darfur Area. The fact that most West African men are y-DNA Haplogroup E-M2/E1b1a seems to be that it was a founder effect. Also scientists have found out that the Y-DNA haplogroup E1b1c/E-M329 is actually part of the E-M2. Thus E-M2 is now being called E-V38.
Y-DNA haplogroup E1b1c/E-M329 is found mainly amongst Omotic speaking men.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E1b1a

I'd say that Niger-Kordofanian West Africans were originally a highly bottlenecked Central Saharan group. This bottlenecking (inbreeding) caused them to form their own African genetic cluster!
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by onila(f): 6:27pm On Sep 29, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: anyanle no2 so i'm claiming u? anyway b it. Igbos are Bantu or what people call semi-Bantu just like effik Ibibio , anang ekoi, essang etc.
we sha-g-ged our way to igboland

efik-the prettier version of the bantu

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Nobody: 6:27pm On Sep 29, 2013
onila: tutsi look somali

in my anthropology african forum, we debate dat all the time

even tutsi believe they came from somalia area
ah ah beer parlour debate. I heard u . lmao Yoruba(some think they come from Saudi arabi) igbos think they are jews etc so this is irrelevant , irrelevant groups and non achievers tend to create a fake history to feel good about themselves etc tec et puis voila. Tutsi are Bantu. Tutsi and Hutu are social status .
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by onila(f): 6:27pm On Sep 29, 2013
igbo look ivorian n not bantu
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Nobody: 6:28pm On Sep 29, 2013
onila: igbo look ivorian n not bantu
how do Ivoirian look like?
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Fulaman198(m): 6:28pm On Sep 29, 2013
Black Kenichi:
Technically they're not Nilotic. They're Nilo-Saharan. Nilotic is a branch of the Nilo-Saharan Language Phylum. Also Nilotics and Chadic/Central Saharan look different from each other.

That's true. However many West Africans have their origins further north as well. You gotta remember that the Sahara area only stated to become a desert about 8-9 kya.

I'll take your word for it.

I think the origins of Niger-Kordofanian West Africans is around Chad and the Darfur Area. The fact that most West African men are y-DNA Haplogroup E-M2/E1b1a seems to be that it was a founder effect. Also scientists have found out that the Y-DNA haplogroup E1b1c/E-M329 is actually part of the E-M2. Thus E-M2 is now being called E-V38.
Y-DNA haplogroup E1b1c/E-M329 is found mainly amongst Omotic speaking men.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E1b1a

I'd say that Niger-Kordofanian West Africans were originally a highly bottlenecked Central Saharan group. This bottlenecking (inbreeding) caused them to form their own African genetic cluster!

Chadic is a sub-division of Afro-Asiatic languages, Chadic languages are almost all Afro-Asiatic. Hausa is a Chadic Afro-Asiatic language for example. Also the Songhai do resemble Nilotic people as do the Kanuri who are also of the Nilo-Saharan group as well.
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by onila(f): 6:28pm On Sep 29, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: ah ah beer parlour debate. I heard u . lmao Yoruba(some think they come from Saudi arabi) igbos think they are jews etc so this is irrelevant , irrelevant groups and non achievers tend to create a fake history to feel good about themselves etc tec et puis voila. Tutsi are Bantu. Tutsi and Hutu are social status .

Nigerians dont look congolese

we are much more similar in looks with ivorians and ghanaians

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Nobody: 6:29pm On Sep 29, 2013
onila:

efik-the prettier version of the bantu
the Bleep does this mean?
Bantu women are definitively the most beautiful in Africa. from from Cameroon, Gabon to south Africa. okay let's not go there
u are a Bantu b proud of your forefathers
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by onila(f): 6:30pm On Sep 29, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: how do Ivoirian look like?

nice oval faces and not round

ivorians look like black americans just like the igbo

but the bantu have a unique look, an african unique look

their heads are round n curvy
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Nobody: 6:30pm On Sep 29, 2013
Fulaman198:

Pidgin is a language that is a Germanic language, it is derived from English (it is a dialect of English), however there is no such thing as a Pidgin ethnic group because Pidgin is spoken by most people in Anglophone West Africa. Even Patois which is what Jamaicans speak is classified as a Germanic English language.

Talla I believe is how you say advertisement in Hausa (but it means Promotion like to promote a product).
so u agree me with that the origins of pidgin don't make the west Af pidgin speakers saxon or germans right?
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Fulaman198(m): 6:31pm On Sep 29, 2013
Onila has turned Ayanle on us. That said my Cameroonian friend she is right. Igbos just resemble other West Africans physically. They are not Bantus.

Onila, Tutsi are not Somali, Any Tutsi that says they came from Somalia may have inferiority complex.
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Nobody: 6:31pm On Sep 29, 2013
onila:

nice oval faces and not round

ivorians look like black americans just like the igbo

but the bantu have a unique look, an african unique look

their heads are round n curvy
this is just ignorance. i'm not going to entertain u. I only hope u don't make such comments and display your gross ignorance in public .
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by onila(f): 6:32pm On Sep 29, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: the Bleep does this mean?
Bantu women are definitively the most beautiful in Africa. from from Cameroon, Gabon to south Africa. okay let's not go there
u are a Bantu b proud of your forefathers

when we r talking abt beautiful women in africa
I dont see them mention central African countries

most beautiful are in the east and west
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Nobody: 6:33pm On Sep 29, 2013
Fulaman198: Onila has turned Ayanle on us. That said my Cameroonian friend she is right. Igbos just resemble other West Africans physically. They are not Bantus.

Onila, Tutsi are not Somali, Any Tutsi that says they came from Somalia may have inferiority complex.
Eastern Nigeria are Bantu. my friend go check the cultural similarities. take as a case of study : bamileke or sawa vs Igbos or effik . uwill think u are seeing the same people
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Fulaman198(m): 6:33pm On Sep 29, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: so u agree me with that the origins of pidgin don't make the west Af pidgin speakers saxon or germans right?

This is a different philosophy though. I understand where you are coming from though.

What you are saying is that just because someone is of a particular ethnic group does not make them officially part of that ethnic group. You are saying that it is possible a Bantu became assimilated into Igboid culture or w/e right?

The same way the Tukulors of Senegal/Mauritania became "Fulbenized" (Fulani influenced and only can identify with Fulani today but they are not ethnically Fulani).

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

History Made In Ikorodu As Solat Was Observed On Their Late King / Muslims And Egungun Masquerade Clash In Osogbo (Video) / Why Cremation Should Be Practiced In Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.