Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,901 members, 7,817,665 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:43 PM

Glo Is Making great Things Happen In Africa - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Glo Is Making great Things Happen In Africa (6903 Views)

6 Months After: Nigerian Government Is Making Promising Progress~ The Economist / Senator Praises GEJ For Achieving Great Things For Nigeria / Igbo And Yoruba Doing Great Things Together (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Glo Is Making great Things Happen In Africa by fromuk(m): 11:27am On Jun 17, 2008
nuzo:

A case of charity begining at home.
My friend stop spewing rubbish, i call SA everyday and they complain about bad network especially MTN. Even here in UK sometimes people call me and ask me why i switch of my phone. In some part of London you hardly get service if u use T-mobile and Virgin. Inside my house 3G network fluctuate like currency.
Who cares if you celebrate the success or not.

nuzo:

All these per second and cheap Sim Bela blah blah is a sham and fraud.
Almost every corporate organisation plays that part in bold. They will announce a huge profit yet they will increase their tariff next fiscal year. Directors care less about the customers as far as they will pocket their big bonus at the end of the year.
Re: Glo Is Making great Things Happen In Africa by zomby(m): 1:27pm On Jun 17, 2008
but i also have in mind that its cheaper to pay and control these local human resources. So, they couldn't have done otherwise.
It will also be a bold move if Glo tries to release the numbers of youths they employ monthly.
it is for sure that you are out of your mind. glo is one of the highest paying company in nija and they do not only employ just nigerians, they also have employees from everywhere all around the world. nigerians in nigeria and outside nigeria will kill to join this team. it wouldn't be a bad idea for you to know your facts before spilling the beans, obviously you're out of touch.
Re: Glo Is Making great Things Happen In Africa by Nobody: 1:52pm On Jun 17, 2008
zomby:

it is for sure that you are out of your mind. glo is one of the highest paying company in nija and they do not only employ just nigerians, they also have employees from everywhere all around the world. nigerians in nigeria and outside nigeria will kill to join this team. it wouldn't be a bad idea for you to know your facts before spilling the beans, obviously you're out of touch.

glo is an extremely jaga jaga company. at least it was back in 2005, and adenuga is an eccentric( if he were poorer, it would be crazy) prick. their hr is extreemly unprofessional. they give appluicants 2-4 hours notice before interviews. imagine drssing up for work then getting a call to be available for an interview at 12. so you simply abandon everything. is that the sorrt of employee the world class co is looking for.? then theres adenuga, who must meet each and every employee before employing them, which means that prospective applicants people have waited till midnight (i'm not making this up) at his office on occassion so they can meet him.

people in the know about globacom will not touch it with a ten foot pole- the big salary not withstanding.IT IS NOT A COMPANY FOR PROFESSIONALS. add that to the arbitrary way adenuga hires and fires - who are ypou - what do you do in this company? whats your value to the company - please contact HR for your termination.

i remember being on an mtn site inspection where the supervisiong engineer was tearing up a one of the contractors for shoddy work. the guys colleagues told me - no be the guy fault - e done dey work for 2 many globacom sites.

anyway let the peeps from glo talk - a company that forces its employees to use adenugas banks for their salaried accounts - grin
Re: Glo Is Making great Things Happen In Africa by zomby(m): 2:33pm On Jun 17, 2008
glo is an extremely jaga jaga company. at least it was back in 2005, and adenuga is an eccentric( if he were poorer, it would be crazy) prick. their hr is extreemly unprofessional. they give appluicants 2-4 hours notice before interviews. imagine drssing up for work then getting a call to be available for an interview at 12. so you simply abandon everything. is that the sorrt of employee the world class co is looking for.? then theres adenuga, who must meet each and every employee before employing them, which means that prospective applicants people have waited till midnight (i'm not making this up) at his office on occassion so they can meet him.

people in the know about globacom will not touch it with a ten foot pole- the big salary not withstanding.IT IS NOT A COMPANY FOR PROFESSIONALS. add that to the arbitrary way adenuga hires and fires - who are ypou - what do you do in this company? whats your value to the company - please contact HR for your termination.

i remember being on an mtn site inspection where the supervisiong engineer was tearing up a one of the contractors for shoddy work. the guys colleagues told me - no be the guy fault - e done dey work for 2 many globacom sites.

anyway let the peeps from glo talk - a company that forces its employees to use adenugas banks for their salaried accounts - 

Report to moderator    Logged 

exactly the reason why glo is moving on. nigerians are used to being sucked by foreigners and foreign companies, (they rather get screwed by oyinbo rather than their brothers) they expect everything for nothing. may be we should continue to wait for our government to come and rescue us and take us to paradise.
even if jesus comes down to put anything together in nigeria, nigerians will still find one or two things to cry about. i think it is in our culture to always look for negativity, something or anything to make our day brighter. those people who chose to wear mr. perfect's hat can't even maintain their household, not to talk about putting a business together. they are the same people that would line up in front of glo building for 18 hours straight just to submit their resume, they are the same people that run around the country with glo phones, but have the audacity to defame the progress of this company. forget glo, i think we should leave it up to our government, let them further give it to us very hard from the backside. we deserve it.
Re: Glo Is Making great Things Happen In Africa by vikiviko(m): 2:34pm On Jun 17, 2008
Glo rule your world
Re: Glo Is Making great Things Happen In Africa by cre8tivity(f): 3:13pm On Jun 17, 2008
all i can say is I'm proud of this organization and the least i could do as a proud Nigerian is to give my complete support to anything that brings positive attention to Nigeria.
if glo's product is inferior i do not think ghana or republic of ben will be fighting to get them into their country. we have gone through too much in this country, we've been called criminals, 419ers, liars, incapable, uncivilized and i think it is time for us to welcome anything that will uplift our bombarded image. i think glo is doing very well in this department.
Re: Glo Is Making great Things Happen In Africa by zomby(m): 3:22pm On Jun 17, 2008
i agree
Re: Glo Is Making great Things Happen In Africa by Nobody: 3:33pm On Jun 17, 2008
yawn. . .

zomby:

exactly the reason why glo is moving on. nigerians are used to being sucked by foreigners and foreign companies, (they rather get screwed by oyinbo rather than their brothers) they expect everything for nothing. may be we should continue to wait for our government to come and rescue us and take us to paradise.
even if jesus comes down to put anything together in nigeria, nigerians will still find one or two things to cry about. i think it is in our culture to always look for negativity, something or anything to make our day brighter. those people who chose to wear mr. perfect's hat can't even maintain their household, not to talk about putting a business together. they are the same people that would line up in front of glo building for 18 hours straight just to submit their resume, they are the same people that run around the country with glo phones, but have the audacity to defame the progress of this company. forget glo, i think we should leave it up to our government, let them further give it to us very hard from the backside. we deserve it. 

maybe you belong to the class of losers who queue 18 hours to submit cvs. . .

or maybe you are one of those who does not know what it means to work as a professional.

in 2005, i interviewed with several companies.Glo was the most unprofessional of the lot. i got a call at 6am in the morning to be available for 12. on getting there at 12, i met a disorgnized queue. whilel we were all still queing a girl who would have been barred from the ekiti governors office was smoothly ushered in ahead of everyone else. i think i waited for 2 hours, i was getting ready to call it quits when i was called. all things considered, i'm happy i wasnt shortlisted for another stage.

perhaps if i too were a zombie, i'd be falling all over myself to work in glo. heck, when i resumed with my curentemployer in 2005, there was a guy who had a job with glo in my set. he got both letters at the same time,and he didn'rt even have to think about where he wanted to work.

you probably do not know, but most of the practises of nigerian companies cannot stand abroad. signing contract not to marry for two years, taking ?HIV test, those things are ILLEGAL. i guess a zombie would fall all over himself to work in a place like that. tongue
Re: Glo Is Making great Things Happen In Africa by zomby(m): 3:41pm On Jun 17, 2008
ok, it is a personal thing btw you and glo. i feel your pain and can't even imagine what you went through. it is official, you are a winner and a champion at the same time. please, allow me the zomby united to continue to fall over myself. cool
Re: Glo Is Making great Things Happen In Africa by zomby(m): 3:44pm On Jun 17, 2008
let us all make it simple. forget glo, i think we should leave it up to our government, let our proffesional leaders further give it to us very hard and professionally from the backside. we need it and we deserve it.
Re: Glo Is Making great Things Happen In Africa by globalaid(m): 3:47pm On Jun 17, 2008
I hate when people are not able to reason well, the china you are quoting all along was not made in a day,  glo was a balancing factor against all the other telecommunication otherwise nobody would have envisage where we can be by now because of the gang up of celtel and mtn. we should be able to appreciate and celebrate one of our own.
Re: Glo Is Making great Things Happen In Africa by deor03(m): 3:52pm On Jun 17, 2008
@ OYB

Yes Glo has it problems, just like shell, mtn, celtel, chevron, etc . But it is a dream company for most Nigerians.

Apart from that, it is a total Nigerian brand in the IT/Telecoms sector.  Apart from Churches,Banks we have not been a able to stamp our feet as a Nation on the Technology scene. NITEL could not do this despite their "professional HR" department.

Give it up to GLO for being bold enough to take this giant step. Nigerian professionals who have participated in the bBeninproject will tell you that, for once , outside the shores of this country you are well respected. I am sure Ghana won't be any different.
Re: Glo Is Making great Things Happen In Africa by zomby(m): 3:56pm On Jun 17, 2008
this is another sign that nigerians are the only ones killing nigerians. this is also why some of us can not prosper.
you like it or you hate it, glo is still feeding a very good percentage of nigerian professionals. it has also created hope for the ones coming out of universities.
even microsoft did not start as a perfect company. ghana and rep of ben. are looking up to us like angels and all we can do here is to discredit glo's ability to continue to make big things happen in africa.

we can't help ourselves.
Re: Glo Is Making great Things Happen In Africa by deor03(m): 3:58pm On Jun 17, 2008
zomby:

ok, it is a personal thing between you and glo. i feel your pain and can't even imagine what you went through. it is official, you are a winner and a champion at the same time. please, allow me the zomby united to continue to fall over myself. cool

@OYB

Just like Zomby wrote, it's a personal thing between you and GLO. I can imagine where you would have been if GLO found you worthy to employ in 2005. Sad enough you did not meet their standard cry

That means your opinion is based on your former experience with them
Re: Glo Is Making great Things Happen In Africa by zomby(m): 4:01pm On Jun 17, 2008
Just like Zomby wrote, it's a personal thing between you and GLO. I can imagine where you would have been if GLO found you worthy to employ in 2005. Sad enough you did not meet their standard

bless you
Re: Glo Is Making great Things Happen In Africa by globalaid(m): 4:10pm On Jun 17, 2008
You can call it patriotism and you are not far from it, let us appreaciet what we have.
Re: Glo Is Making great Things Happen In Africa by Nobody: 5:34pm On Jun 17, 2008
deor03:

@OYB

Just like Zomby wrote, it's a personal thing between you and GLO. I can imagine where you would have been if GLO found you worthy to employ in 2005. Sad enough you did not meet their standard cry

a personal thing?  grin

little rodent, I'm working in an oil and gas company. ( i won't name it - but i guarantee, you would queue up for 7 weeks just to submit your cv there  grin)

the year i did my interview with globacom, i interviewed with huawei, vmobile, a bank's ( i forget which) project department - and my current employer. not all of us are so desperate and stupid that we will jump at any so called big boy job without weighing all the options. i remeber that the interviewers at vmobile tried to force a post i didn't want on me - and i refused to be intimidated. a friend and former colleague with a foreign masters and years more working experienec than me allowed them to shoe horn him into a position below his qualfications and a salary lower that what i was earning when i strted with my current employer( about a month after him) .

in the same way - the peeps at huawei also tried to push a salary i wouldn't put up with one me - and i rejected it grin.one of the other applicants saw me a week later - maybe he was like the zombie and the dearie - people who don't know that once you settle for less than you deserve, you get even less than you bargained for cry. i bet he too was feeling sorry for me because i did not er . make the cut- not knowing i had my mind on bigger things grin

it is based on my experieneces with the HR depts of all those companies that i am making my comments on glo. its understandabel that little boys like you who have never worked a day in your lives are bowled over by financial success without trying to figure out how it comes about. maybe when you start working - if you are smart enough to make the cut of a real company - you both strike me as the sort of numbnuts who will get 20% in an aptitude test(and that with long neck tongue), you'll understand what i'm talking about.

a classic example is conoil . the workers are not members of nupeng/pengassoan, which means adenuga can do and undo - sack arbritatrily without just cause. small wonder he's a hero to a little boy like you.

FYI, my not being in glo is that company's loss, not the other way around.  grin

i feel no regrets at all for not being employed by the company - i can remember one of my old clasmates who was desperatley trying for another job last year.

little boys like you don't know the half about all these so called big men. that building of his on adeola odeku - i only hope he actually eventually paid everybody that worked on it.( my former employer was on the team, and they were never paid)  a lot of contractors consider adenugas's companies no go areas. some of those happy birthday ads you see are mute appeals to ' pay us our money'.  so many contractors who enter into biz with glo and con oil keep their fingers crossed - because they know they may not be paid at the end of the day  cry. i had a friend  a contractor who was being invited to work on a project. i warned him - he still deciede to chook head. but he eventually decided on his own - that he could't do business with them - they were pressuring him to ignore all standards and deliver a cheap substandrd job - and that sort of thing has a way of backfiring on the contractor.

Anyway - thank God for big and small blessings - maybe i too would be a little sheep in glo, terrified of losing my job, and forced to engage in the most egreregroius breaches of professionalism
Re: Glo Is Making great Things Happen In Africa by deor03(m): 5:47pm On Jun 17, 2008
@OYB

Big man, I had several years working experience up my sleeves in 2005 when you were still queueing for 2 hours in the sun to be interviewed, .,,

You sound/write like an empty barrel, just trying to get attention.
"VMOBILE,was 'forcing' you to take a position, huawei was begging you " is more like a childish talk. It shows your level of professional experience and exposure.

@Topic

Back to the topic, whether you like it or NOT . Globacom  as a brand has been able to survive the murky water of the Nigerian business environment. The invaluable experience form this would make business in other regions a moother ride.

I praise the courage and tenacity of this BRAND, it is definitely going to rule your world
Re: Glo Is Making great Things Happen In Africa by zomby(m): 5:52pm On Jun 17, 2008
Nigeria, a country where many great investment analysts through out the world have advised investors not to ever waste their money investing, they said "it's not worth the risk", but Glo continues to take crazy chance to prove them wrong
Re: Glo Is Making great Things Happen In Africa by Nobody: 5:54pm On Jun 17, 2008
er. . .
deor03:

@OYB

Big man, I had several years working experience up my sleeves in 2005 when you were still queueing for 2 hours in the sun to be interviewed,

are you sure you aren't a liar - your profile says you're 28 -

so in 2005, you would have been 23 or 24 , and yet you already had 'several  years working experience'

maybe you're some sort of supergenius who graduated at 18 - or maybe just the usual flavor of internet liar that plagues nairaland. grin

hmm. . .going by that, what can one expect from you ?
Re: Glo Is Making great Things Happen In Africa by deor03(m): 5:59pm On Jun 17, 2008
oyb:

er. . .are you sure you aren't a liar - your profile says you're 28 -

so in 2005, you would have been 23 or 24 , and yet you already had 'several  years working experience'

maybe you're some sort of supergenius who graduated at 18 - or maybe just the usual flavor of internet liar that plagues nairaland. grin

hmm. . .going by that, what can one expect from you ?

Thanks for going through my profile. It goes again to show how naive you are BIG MAN. I guess there is/was a law barring 22 years old Nigerian from working according to OYB version of the Nigerian constitution.

Before i forget, Mr Genius you need to work on your mathematics.
Re: Glo Is Making great Things Happen In Africa by Nobody: 6:07pm On Jun 17, 2008
Nigerians. . . . . . . very good in trying to always suppress the truth. Reminds me of IBB, Buhari and Abdulsalams' speeches last week.
You guys should keep throwing the insults to people who don't see things from your own perspective. Its normal in naija.
Re: Glo Is Making great Things Happen In Africa by Nobody: 6:13pm On Jun 17, 2008
deor03:

Thanks for going through my profile. It goes again to show how naive you are BIG MAN. I guess there is/was a law barring 22 years old Nigerian from working according to OYB version of the Nigerian constitution.

Before i forget, Mr Genius you need to work on your mathematics.

okay, lets do the maths
2008-  28
2007 - 27
2006 - 26
2005-  25

so you are statinmg that you worked for 25-22 - 3 years .

so three  amounts to 'several' in your dictionary

hmm, maybe you need to shore up on your maths - or maybe your english.
wonder how you passed aptitude tests ( or maybe you're one of those ' who has a note from ')

going awful state of nigerian institutions, where most of us graduate at 24 or 25, you must either be very intelligent/lucky, or just one of those priviledged , silver spoon from the butt,  removed from reality, rich kids who schooled abroad,without academic disruptions. i'm inclined to believe the latter given your ridiculous elitist comments on the 'crazy lagos govt' thread

deor03:

@OYB

Big man, I had several years working experience up my sleeves in 2005 when you were still queueing for 2 hours in the sun to be interviewed, .,,

You sound/write like an empty barrel, just trying to get attention.
"VMOBILE,was 'forcing' you to take a position, huawei was begging you " is more like a childish talk. It shows your level of professional experience and exposure.

little idiot - that was just a reply to your pathetic attempt to imply that my being called for an interview with glo was the 'chance of a lifetime' .

you obviously have little or no interview experience . perhaps my comment on the 'note from daddy' was spot on.
Re: Glo Is Making great Things Happen In Africa by Nobody: 6:18pm On Jun 17, 2008
lol
Re: Glo Is Making great Things Happen In Africa by deor03(m): 6:24pm On Jun 17, 2008
oyb:

okay, lets do the maths
2008-  28
2007 - 27
2006 - 26
2005-  25

so you are statinmg that you worked for 25-22 - 3 years .hmm, maybe you need to shore up on your maths - or maybe your english.
wonder how you passed aptitude tests ( or maybe you're one of those ' who has a note from ')

going awful state of nigerian institutions, where most of us graduate at 24 or 25, you must either be very intelligent/lucky, or just one of those priviledged , silver spoon from the butt,  removed from reality, rich kids who schooled abroad,without academic disruptions. i'm inclined to believe the latter given your ridiculous elitist comments on the 'crazy lagos govt' thread

Bros , I hereby induct you to my fans club. With the way you are chasing me about nairaland, I think i need to help you out before you queue too long.

N.B: I was lucky enough, not to have spent my pocket money on Shaving stick in the uni, despite the ASUU strikes. grin    I know what it means to be on meal of 1-0-1.
The problem with your arguments ( with all due respect, some are valid) is that you keep seeing things from your own personal views and experience.

OYB: i will not reply to personal postings to you after this; don't let us kill this wonderful thread
Re: Glo Is Making great Things Happen In Africa by Nobody: 6:33pm On Jun 17, 2008
deor03:

Bros , I hereby induct you to my fans club. With the way you are chasing me about nairaland, I think i need to help you out before you queue too long.

N.B: I was lucky enough, not to have spent my pocket money on Shaving stick in the uni, despite the ASUU strikes. grin    I know what it means to be on meal of 1-0-1.
The problem with your arguments ( with all due respect, some are valid) is that you keep seeing things from your own personal views and experience.

OYB: i will not reply to personal postings to you after this; don't let us kill this wonderful thread

rest assured, i'm not in your fan club -

however, unlike you,i do not feel any need to belittle people in order to advance globacoms agenda tongue

as to replying to personal posts from me - you should have thought of that before you started with the insults
Re: Glo Is Making great Things Happen In Africa by oldie(m): 7:56pm On Jun 17, 2008
Lets all focus on the issues here
There are both moral and quality issues with Globacom.

The moral issue: I do not think we should support thievery, even if the proceeds of theft were used for something noble!
The QoS (Quality of Service) by all the Service Providers is below par, almost the worst in the world.
Forget all the razmatazz being churned out regarding our phone density.
Quality is quite different from quantity

Like some people have said, efforts should have been made to improve quality in Nigeria before we export expertise
Do not let us be carried away with all these emotions!

From engineering point of view, qualitywise I will grade the GSM providers in Nigeria in this order:
Celtel, MTN and Globacom
I do not owe any allegiance to any of them.
I am speaking purely as a Nigerian

Let us always use our first eleven
Globacom is not a good Nigeian example, I am sorry

We should stop supporting mediocrity, however nationalistic we may want to be
Re: Glo Is Making great Things Happen In Africa by Nobody: 8:15pm On Jun 17, 2008
I was begining to think that i have been wrong with my observations.
Re: Glo Is Making great Things Happen In Africa by Nobody: 8:37pm On Jun 17, 2008
Businessman NUZO, [b]you haven't touched any of my questions, are you scared?
If you want the muzic loud then you must be willing to dance to the muzic[/b]

Really? Based on say u be who?
Have you been able to explain to me glo's poor services and how it rips hapless Nigerians of their small income?

Just don't come here crying like a frustrated pussy cat, come out like a man and address my questions.
And by the way, what have you done lately for your country with your "businesses" in China?

I import tooth picks and handkerchiefs which is very useful and cheap to Nigerians, especially Lagosians.
Now, tell me what you have done for your country lately if not to support mediocrity and fraud in glo and also to defend looters like IBB?
Re: Glo Is Making great Things Happen In Africa by deor03(m): 8:51pm On Jun 17, 2008
nuzo:

I import tooth picks and handkerchiefs which is very useful and cheap to Nigerians, especially Lagosians.
Now, tell me what you have done for your country lately if not to support mediocrity and fraud in glo and also to defend looters like IBB?

What you have done effectively is bringing in products that render Nigerian youths jobless. Tooth pick business use to keep food on the table of many Nigerians before people like you started importing from china.

What Glo is doing is the other way round. They are empowering Nigerian professional both locally and lately internationally , projecting a product that is proudly Nigerian ( Not Chinese)
Re: Glo Is Making great Things Happen In Africa by BigB11(m): 9:02pm On Jun 17, 2008
You sound like a fighter who is ready to strike up a fight.

I import tooth picks and handkerchiefs which is very useful and  cheap to Nigerians, especially Lagosians.

I import bush meat from Togo to Nigeria, which also happens to be very affordable to Nigerians in general.

Tooth pick, handkerchiefs and bush meat; I see an excellent connection in here. May be both of us could do business.
what do you say?
Re: Glo Is Making great Things Happen In Africa by Nobody: 10:17pm On Jun 17, 2008
deor03:

What you have done effectively is bringing in products that render Nigerian youths jobless. Tooth pick business use to keep food on the table of many Nigerians before people like you started importing from china.

Are you serious on this? I think people like me are actually providing employment for youth which your dear Nigeria have neglected.
Toothpick biz died in naija when persistent power shortage emerged. Factories could not keep up with the heat so they had to pack up thereby making room for importation.

deor03:

What Glo is doing is the other way round. They are empowering Nigerian professional both locally and lately internationally , projecting a product that is proudly Nigerian ( Not Chinese)

Do you know how many Nigerians am empowering with my legit capital? At least the people am empowering wont have to bear the guilt that i built my little company with a looted treasury from Nigeria. My customers also get good services.

Big B1:

You sound like a fighter who is ready to strike up a fight.

Yes oooo. . . . . . .I'm always a fighter when it comes to standing up for the truth. But believe me when i tell you that i get so sick when i try nursing the thoughts of fighting for hypocrisy and blind patriotism.
What about you? grin

Big B1:

I import bush meat from Togo to Nigeria, which also happens to be very affordable to Nigerians in general.

Tooth pick, handkerchiefs and bush meat; I see an excellent connection in here. May be both of us could do business.
what do you say?

LOL.

Why not? but only if you can assure me that you are not like your oga; the toothless general in minna who was and still well known for his fraudulent activities.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

“buhari Is Dead” – Ex-british Lawmaker, Eric Joyce Insists / US Special Force In Abuja Yesterday, Pics / NNPCL To Inaugurate AKK Gas Pipeline December

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.