Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,413 members, 7,815,927 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:10 PM

Your Pastor Or Your Parent? Whose Advise Do You Listen To? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Your Pastor Or Your Parent? Whose Advise Do You Listen To? (13530 Views)

Please Help!who Do I Confess To,pastor Or My Wife? / What Can You Never Forgive Your Parent For? / Did Your Parent Teach Sex Education (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Your Pastor Or Your Parent? Whose Advise Do You Listen To? by mbulela: 8:27am On Sep 06, 2013
I take advise from anyone (absolutely anyone) as long as it is in line with the revealed Word of God.
That it is a pastor giving the advise does not make it more credible in my books.
Re: Your Pastor Or Your Parent? Whose Advise Do You Listen To? by Nobody: 8:33am On Sep 06, 2013
Both or none, weighed intelligently.

E.g when it comes to something like choosing a spouse , If your parents are the disrespectful kind or the overly judgemental kind e.g. "I don't want an Ibo daughter in law" or "she has kleg. I don't want her in this family" , you would probably want to put less importance on their opinions.

PS: I have heard those exact statements from some parents grin
Re: Your Pastor Or Your Parent? Whose Advise Do You Listen To? by todayguest(m): 8:43am On Sep 06, 2013
Nobody embodies all the knowledges of life. There's always areas of strength and weakness.We depend on each other for diverse reasons. Pastors serves as spiritual advicers and God's representatives. However, a pastor who isn't married can't do well in marital issues. Considering the complexity of its nature. Parents' could be looked up to. Some advice from parents when viewed critically have flaws. Nevertheless, there are several admonitions in the bible to obey parents. Some with a promise that ".... it may go well with you,...and will enjoy long life " Not all parents advice are good, so also not all pastors advice is good. We have to compare and contrast when the issue is what they both can make inputs. Having in mind they're all humans. If you're a christain, checkout if every advice from both is in line with the bible. Otherwise you end up obeying humans to displease God.
Re: Your Pastor Or Your Parent? Whose Advise Do You Listen To? by Deage(m): 8:57am On Sep 06, 2013
Parents are not just parents, they are also presiding PRIESTS incharge of every home whether positively or negatively. Parental priesthood is a more Biblical approach, and every child is linked to his parents which in turn has a way of determining their destiny. Even if someones parents are mad, you can't but obey them. Pastors are mere guides. The promise has a root.
Re: Your Pastor Or Your Parent? Whose Advise Do You Listen To? by sucess001(m): 9:22am On Sep 06, 2013
I will listen to COZA's pastor's advise cheesy grin grin
Re: Your Pastor Or Your Parent? Whose Advise Do You Listen To? by Pataki: 9:40am On Sep 06, 2013
Funny.

You never see your parents as gods but you mostly deem your bling bling pastors as spiritual gods on earth.
Re: Your Pastor Or Your Parent? Whose Advise Do You Listen To? by mbulela: 9:59am On Sep 06, 2013
Deage: Parents are not just parents, they are also presiding PRIESTS incharge of every home whether positively or negatively. Parental priesthood is a more Biblical approach, and every child is linked to his parents which in turn has a way of determining their destiny. Even if someones parents are mad, you can't but obey them. Pastors are mere guides. The promise has a root.
very erroneous concept. i will revisit this shortly.
Re: Your Pastor Or Your Parent? Whose Advise Do You Listen To? by Nobody: 10:31am On Sep 06, 2013
Deage: Parents are not just parents, they are also presiding PRIESTS incharge of every home whether positively or negatively. Parental priesthood is a more Biblical approach, and every child is linked to his parents which in turn has a way of determining their destiny. Even if someones parents are mad, you can't but obey them. Pastors are mere guides. The promise has a root.

So if your parents tell you to quit school and go make money for them by prostitution, you will obey?

If your parents come to your matrimonial home to overstep their boundaries or beat your wife, you will let them?
This sounds like something a heavily indoctrinated mama's boy would say. That is why it is good for people to read the bible for themselves and not just what people tell you. Anybody can use bible to support anything, including murder. In this case, you have used it to support a lack of assertiveness and self respect. Assertiveness is something I know typical Nigerian parents fear in their children, attributing it to stubbornness or some similar negative label.

Even Jesus had boundaries he enforced on his parents. When he was preaching on the hill to many people and his mother presumed to CALL HIM as in "I don't care that you are busy giving a sermon, stop what you are doing and come here this instant", go and consult your bible how he handled the situation... undecided
Re: Your Pastor Or Your Parent? Whose Advise Do You Listen To? by ddeola: 11:33am On Sep 06, 2013
You can't compare them and their roles in one's life. There are parents and there are "parents" too at the same time there are pastors and there are "pastors" too
Re: Your Pastor Or Your Parent? Whose Advise Do You Listen To? by quivah(f): 11:55am On Sep 06, 2013
mbulela:
Why can't God talk to me directly?
The veil has been torn,in case you forgot.
So in your books, he can't talk to me directly but he can talk to pastor directly?
No be the same Jesus grant two of us access to the father?
Abi na different blood ransom the pastor?

I taya o!!.,
Re: Your Pastor Or Your Parent? Whose Advise Do You Listen To? by quivah(f): 12:04pm On Sep 06, 2013
2buff:

So if your parents tell you to quit school and go make money for them by prostitution, you will obey?
chai!! What a stupid analogy..
So if.....pastor:God showed this to me,quit your education,go into prostitution cause along the line you will meet your destined husband . and please don't forget to pay your tithes..you will obey

If your parents come to your matrimonial home to overstep their boundaries or beat your wife, you will let them?
another.....pastor;go and search for another woman to make a wife,God dint destined your present union..there is no future for you both
This sounds like something a heavily indoctrinated mama's boy would say. That is why it is good for people to read the bible for themselves and not just what people tell you. Anybody can use bible to support anything, including murder. In this case, you have used it to support a lack of assertiveness and self respect. Assertiveness is something I know typical Nigerian parents fear in their children, attributing it to stubbornness or some similar negative label.
hmmm ?
Even Jesus had boundaries he enforced on his parents. When he was preaching on the hill to many people and his mother presumed to CALL HIM as in "I don't care that you are busy giving a sermon, stop what you are doing and come here this instant", go and consult your bible how he handled the situation... undecided
the op meant ADVICE not command!!
Did Jesus go to the apostles/priests for advices?.... ?

Re: Your Pastor Or Your Parent? Whose Advise Do You Listen To? by dwana91(m): 12:15pm On Sep 06, 2013
My parent's for sure.via she i came to dis world.
Re: Your Pastor Or Your Parent? Whose Advise Do You Listen To? by dhabrio: 12:17pm On Sep 06, 2013
Parents, yes!
Re: Your Pastor Or Your Parent? Whose Advise Do You Listen To? by obowunmi(m): 12:32pm On Sep 06, 2013
temiosunrinde: Na reason why you dey where you still dey be that hehehehehehehehehehehe

how is listening to my heart funny? seriously though... to those waiting for God... doesn't God speak to his servants? He can use Pastors, friends, parents, and even dreams...

If God speaks to people in their dreams, they still will not listen. Don't mind doubting thomasas of this world.
Re: Your Pastor Or Your Parent? Whose Advise Do You Listen To? by Nobody: 12:44pm On Sep 06, 2013
andy24: I would listen to both of them and act on my own decision.
best response so far
Re: Your Pastor Or Your Parent? Whose Advise Do You Listen To? by Nobody: 2:08pm On Sep 06, 2013
Re: Your Pastor Or Your Parent? Whose Advise Do You Listen To? by iamdsam: 2:27pm On Sep 06, 2013
Mine. This is an Endtime question though
Re: Your Pastor Or Your Parent? Whose Advise Do You Listen To? by Jessigurl(f): 2:44pm On Sep 06, 2013
to some extent, my pastor's advice matters but my parent's own is paramount, it's now left for me to sieve the advice, know which to take and which not to.In reply to the question, i would take my parent's own.
Re: Your Pastor Or Your Parent? Whose Advise Do You Listen To? by ladeski: 3:38pm On Sep 06, 2013
depends on the pastor

depends on the parent

if all 3 are equally bad

you may have to turn to others
Re: Your Pastor Or Your Parent? Whose Advise Do You Listen To? by Nobody: 4:45pm On Sep 06, 2013
[quote author=quivah][/quote]

If you aren't going to read the post i quoted and was responding to with that post, then what is the point of you addressing my post?
You didn't even bother to understand the context in which that post was made.
Stop being such a typical woman.
Re: Your Pastor Or Your Parent? Whose Advise Do You Listen To? by Burbschi(f): 7:16am On Sep 07, 2013
The
best advice is the one you gave 2 urself, but I'll rather prefer my parents advice not in all issues (eg: marriage) but
wen it comes 2 spiritual matter then I'll consult my pastor.
Re: Your Pastor Or Your Parent? Whose Advise Do You Listen To? by Mustymohd2: 12:23pm On Sep 07, 2013
god 4bid when nowaday men of god don turn prayer house 2 biznss center na him i go listen 2 dem , abeg ma parent first b4 any liar
Re: Your Pastor Or Your Parent? Whose Advise Do You Listen To? by Netangel(m): 4:37pm On Sep 07, 2013
So Good
Re: Your Pastor Or Your Parent? Whose Advise Do You Listen To? by james2man: 11:08am On Sep 08, 2013
@Quivah i like your responds to 2buff, infact that was exactly what my responds would have be. People have so much placed pastors and imam higher than God, this remind me of a friend who saved funds worth of 1million naira,he consulted his alfa regarding is desire business which is selling of used car tyres but the cleric told him not to venture into such business. As a friend we advice him to try it because life is about risk,all he need to do is to study the risk regarding the business. Just to cut the story short, right now he couldn't make an account of how he spent the 1 million naira. Moral: it is good to be independent this why some people are not independent because it is their pastors who dictate how they live their life.
The whites who introduced religion to Africans are not as religious as Africans. God help us.
Re: Your Pastor Or Your Parent? Whose Advise Do You Listen To? by Lakotai(m): 7:14pm On Sep 10, 2013
I think our naija women takes pastors advise a lot

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

A Nairalander Celebrates His Great Grandmother At 130 Years / Increase Your Family Income With This Info / South African Based Nigerian Lady Rants After Finding Unknown Baby At Her Gate.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.