Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,440 members, 7,819,621 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:17 PM

Ten Lies The Church Tells Women - Religion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Ten Lies The Church Tells Women (42831 Views)

10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church / 4 Lies The Church Taught Me About Sex / Church Tells HIV Patients To Stop Treatment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by bukatyne(f): 3:45pm On Sep 10, 2013
mbourie:

Hahahahahahaha....slavery? Habatically!!! In my residence none of the women are under slavery or is that cooking for your hubby or better yet, when asked by your hubby to keep quiet in a brawl between you-his wife- and a neighbour is now considered an act of slavery or deprivation of woman right?

I did not mention cooking or asking someone to keep quiet. I did not even mention husband - wife relationship.

I was talking on a general note.
Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by Fabulous36(f): 3:47pm On Sep 10, 2013
OP, i do not agree with you. Which church preaches that?
Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by victorazy(m): 4:02pm On Sep 10, 2013
OP ur d lier
Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by soulglo: 5:37pm On Sep 10, 2013
bukatyne:

I agree the devil is at work

But to bound woman and put her in perpetual slavery right from Eve till date. Thank God for Jesus Christ.

Imagine how Adam's outlook on Eve changed from 'the bone of my bone' to 'the mother of all flesh' not even 'the mother of my kids'

Thank God for Christ's redemptive work on the cross

Honestly I don't think women who choose to stay bound understand what redemption is. A woman who is married to a man that bows humbly before Christ really has it all. The problem we find is that insecure men can only function if the woman is reduced to a lower position. Just the same way that black people were said to not be 100% human just to justify slavery. You know the old saying. Give the dog a bad name so you can hang it. I feel so liberated that I know Christ. No man walking in humility would need to control anything. There is nothing more sexy LOL than a man that know were he stands. What woman would not worship and cherish her man that loves her like Christ loves the Church. That man puts her before all else. No question. I thank God that my eyes are wide open to that.

2 Likes

Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by POTUT(m): 8:57pm On Sep 10, 2013
OP,

Who do you mean by 'The Church'?

The church is the body of Christ. Consider the reality that many groups of christians have gone ahead to set up their 'church companies' and gone on to teach whatever that makes them popular. Also consider that many christians still learn everyday and do their best to teach and follow the truth.
Therefore, it will be unfair to just use the phrase 'The Church' to refer to all christians, although this should be true ordinarily, but it is a well known fact that false teachers, careless teachers and blind followers abound these days.

The anglican communion has ordained women priests in some dioceses. Women preach sermons in the anglican communion when they are appointed or they ask for the opportunity, just like anyone else. In my history so far in the anglican communion, I have not seen women treated to or told these misinterpretations. The anglican communion is not perfect, and has its shortcomings, but I am not led by institutions, I am only led by quiet meditation on the truth. All christians should learn this way too.
Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by donodion(m): 9:21pm On Sep 10, 2013
Okija_juju:

Whats a lie about this?!

According to Apostle Paul..

[/right][/b][/sub]
You've answered her..she posted rubbish!!!
Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by Solozzo(m): 9:30pm On Sep 10, 2013
hotwax: Its not about ego. Its natural. Men are born to rule women.

Mens domination is natural and there is nothing somebody like you can do it.

Have you seen the way Male Lions swags around female Lions.

Cocks superiority over hens.

Animals dont read the bible, yet, they act the way Men act.

Its God's work. You can't come here and reverse-quote bible to convince us.

You cannot walk with your head. you work with your legs. these are basic principles of life. You need no bible to tell you to walk with your abdomen.

Oh I see! So you proposing men should behave like animals? Do you know that the lion kills all the cubs from a previous relationship of a lioness so he can bring the female to heat again?
Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by Solozzo(m): 9:35pm On Sep 10, 2013
onoja12:
it appears u are not married and may never be,secondly u are the one trying to turn the bible around to suit ur stupidity,infact women who have been foolish enough to believe people like u,have leaved to regret it.for the fact u cant keep a man don't justify it with feminism,the bible is very clear on the role and position of a woman,no manipulation can change it

The same bible was written by men for their own ego
Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by Solozzo(m): 9:58pm On Sep 10, 2013
jodeer:

which 1 b gnostic gospel again, i tink say na only 4 gospels we get. So bible neva do u don de bring wetin we no know wan konfuse us ba.... END TYM TINZZZ OOO

There are many other Gospels than the 4 in the bible. they were rejected and banned by the early church because they were written from a different perspective eg - Christ did not die to save you but he came to point the way to the Father ; there was a female apostle/disciple, Mary Magdalene who was a bit more intelligent than the other 12 male disciples; that the God of the Old Testament is different from the true God of the NT whom Christ came to reveal. While the God of the OT created the physical imperfect universe the father of Christ is the true God who created the visible and the invisible realms including the God of the OT. YWH of the OT is full of tendency to anger, jealousy, meting out heavy punishment to sinners and who emphases survival of the fittest. Mind you he is not evil or the devil but too dictatorial. In contrast to the Father who is peaceful, forgiving, believes in the equality of all humankind, encouraging free will, non punitive, nameless, incorruptible, limitless and gives freely and encourages self learning.
Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by Solozzo(m): 10:04pm On Sep 10, 2013
POTUT: OP,

Who do you mean by 'The Church'?

The church is the body of Christ. Consider the reality that many groups of christians have gone ahead to set up their 'church companies' and gone on to teach whatever that makes them popular. Also consider that many christians still learn everyday and do their best to teach and follow the truth.
Therefore, it will be unfair to just use the phrase 'The Church' to refer to all christians, although this should be true ordinarily, but it is a well known fact that false teachers, careless teachers and blind followers abound these days.

The anglican communion has ordained women priests in some dioceses. Women preach sermons in the anglican communion when they are appointed or they ask for the opportunity, just like anyone else. In my history so far in the anglican communion, I have not seen women treated to or told these misinterpretations. The anglican communion is not perfect, and has its shortcomings, but I am not led by institutions, I am only led by quiet meditation on the truth. All christians should learn this way too.

Beautiful. You made my day!!
Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by Solozzo(m): 10:09pm On Sep 10, 2013
ifeness: Any woman that want to be free from slavery should boycott every form of religion. It is a choice y'all can make. You wanna be forcefully put under a man? stay there. You wanna live like a human being should,then leave!

Everyone is equal.....Male and Female are equal. The soul has no gender .

Religion keep people in bondage, free thinking sets you free. Bible is meant for fools.....they read it everyday and remain ignorant.

Absolutely right!!
Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by Solozzo(m): 10:12pm On Sep 10, 2013
mazizi tonene:
So......
Won't it av bn better dan all dis ur sufferings

Would you rather be a gorilla in the bush?
Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by ozoemeka(m): 11:03pm On Sep 10, 2013
I agree. However expect all these "nigerian "TRADITIONAL" men" to tell you that you belong to a kitchen and "school is for boys". I am a man, and it marvels me how simple minded a lot of nigerian men are https://www.nairaland.com/1389556/why-pure-nigerian-men-stup

carr101: We live in the 21st century, but if we're honest we have to admit that in some ways the church is still in the Dark Ages--especially when we look at the way we treat women.

LIE #1.  GOD'S ULTIMATE PLAN FOR WOMEN IS THAT THEY SERVE THEIR HUSBANDS.
How sad that so many Christian men view women from a selfish perspective.  This view is often promoted by misreading the account of Eve's creation in Genesis 2:18-25, in which Adam is provided a "helpmate."   The Hebrew word used here often is translated "companion," denoting intimacy and partnership.  But through the centuries it has been used to imply that Eve was some type of domestic appendage. 

men have assumed that God gave Eve to fulfill Adam's sexual needs as well as to serve as his cook, laundress and maid.  But the Genesis account does not say this. 

After Eve's creation, God did not tell her: "You are Adam's helper; I command you to serve him well."   She was not created for servitude; she was fashioned to be a co-laborer with Adam so that they might rule together over creation as God commissioned them to do (see Gen. 1:28). 

LIE #2.  WOMEN CAN'T BE FULFILLED OR SPIRITUALLY EFFECTIVE WITHOUT A HUSBAND.
From the time she was released from a German death camp in 1944 until her death in 1983, Corrie Ten Boom taught the world about a Savior who could forgive the cruelest Nazi.  Yet she never married.  Did the fact that she did not have a husband make her less "complete"?  Some Christians would say yes. 

We have spent so much energy defending the concept of the biblical family that we are guilty of idolizing it.   We've preached that a woman's primary responsibility is to find a godly husband, have lots of babies and stay home to raise them for Christ.  

But marital status is not a qualifier for ministry.  The Bible does not even state whether certain key followers of Jesus, such as the 12 disciples, were married or not. 

The highest calling of all believers--married or unmarried--is to develop a relationship with Jesus.  Any other earthly relationship is secondary, and Christ Himself warned us never to allow people we love to become idols that distract us from Him. 

LIE #3.  WOMEN SHOULDN'T WORK OUTSIDE THE HOME.
Many evangelical churches have preached that women who work outside the home are breaking a scriptural commandment, but this conclusion can be reached only by distorting the biblical record.  The woman described in Proverbs 31 is often used to bolster a traditional view of the June Cleaver-style matron who spends her day baking casseroles while her husband is at the office.  But a careful reading reveals that the Proverbs 31 woman, in her ancient Middle Eastern context, functioned as a real estate agent and ran a textile business. 

Titus 2:5 instructs women to "take care of their homes" (New Living Translation).  But most scholars would agree that this passage simply exhorts married women not to forsake their children. 

It is true that, because of ambition or materialism, some Christian women neglect their children even though the Holy Spirit has urged them to put their career objectives on hold.  But rather than placing a legalistic burden on women by telling them that having a career is ungodly, we should tell both men and women to submit their career plans to the Holy Spirit's direction. 

LIE #4.  WOMEN MUST OBEDIENTLY SUBMIT TO THEIR HUSBANDS IN ALL SITUATIONS.
If a christian woman is constantly beaten up by her husband and decides to stay, the question is; "If your husband kills you, it will be to the glory of God."
this irresponsible conclusion because of a distorted view of "male headship." We often portray marriage as a hierarchy, with husbands on the throne and wives at the footstool, and we use Scripture to justify this view: "Wives...submit to your husbands as you do to the Lord" (Eph. 5:22).

We assume this verse means women have no say in family matters or that their opinion is second-rate.  In extreme cases, women have been told to submit to abuse in order to honor male headship.  But this is not a Christian view. 

Paul also told the Ephesians, "submit to one another" (5:21, emphasis added).  I have heard teachings by male clergy on the subject of male headship, but I've never heard a pastor encourage men to submit to their wives! Yet in a loving marriage, a man and woman will defer to one another as they make decisions. 

LIE #5.  A MAN NEEDS TO "COVER" A WOMAN IN HER MINISTRY ACTIVITIES.
This idea came from a distorted interpretation of the apostle Paul's words in 1 Corinthians 11:3, "the head of woman is man" (NKJV).  People have used these words to bolster the idea that women are subservient to men or that they cannot approach God without a male authority figure in their lives. 

Paul's teaching in 1 Corinthians 11 about head coverings is a difficult passage, and Bible scholars don't agree on its meaning.  However, most teach that Paul is addressing specific cultural concerns in first-century Corinth and that he is calling for propriety and order in a society where immorality and paganism had blurred gender distinctions. 

Paul was not placing men in a position of generic rulership over women.  Because there is "no male or female in Christ" (see Gal. 3:28), women can pray, worship, study the Bible or minister without a man present.  How silly to think that a man, because of his gender, could add credibility to prayer or Spirit-empowered ministry! To believe this would be to trust in the flesh. 

LIE #6. A WOMAN SHOULD VIEW HER HUSBAND AS THE "PRIEST OF THE HOME."
Search your concordance.  Scripture never describes men as "priests of the home."   This man-made concept was popularized in evangelical churches in the last century.  We have one priest, Jesus Christ, whose blood atoned for our sins.  It is a mockery of the gospel to suggest that any human being needs an additional priest apart from the Son of God.

The Bible says all believers are priests (see 1 Pet. 2:9, Rev. 1:6); there is no gender restriction.  Husbands function as priests when they pray for their families or when they minister the Word of God to them, and wives also function in this role.  Christian men need to stop being defensive and recognize that God has called us to function in unity with our wives.  We need to listen to their counsel, consider their opinions, and pray together for the mind of the Lord rather than putting our foot down and shouting, "I am the leader of this family, and what I say goes!"  

LIE #7.  WOMEN ARE NOT EQUIPPED TO ASSUME LEADERSHIP ROLES.
The most common mistake we make in biblical interpretation occurs when we take one isolated verse and build a doctrine around it--even if the verse seems to contradict other passages.  This is often what we do with 1 Tim. 2:12, "I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man" (NASB).

Most theologians believe that this passage was addressing an isolated situation in Ephesus.  They came to this conclusion after studying the myriad of references in the Bible to women in spiritual authority.  The Old Testament records that Deborah was a judge over Israel--and God blessed her leadership in battle (see Judg. 4-5).  Other women who held authority over men include Miriam, Huldah and Noadiah. 

Jesus issued His first gospel commission to women (see Matt. 28:1-10), and both men and women were empowered to preach on the day of Pentecost (Acts 2:1-4).  Priscilla, Chloe and Phoebe were leaders in the early church, and one woman, Junia, is called an apostle by Paul (Rom. 16:7).

The promise of the prophet Joel was that "sons and daughters" would prophesy after the Holy Spirit was given to the church (Joel 2:28, emphasis added).  Yet we have taken one misunderstood verse from Paul's writings and used it to negate hundreds of other passages that support the full release of women into ministry.

LIE #8: WOMEN MUST NOT TEACH OR PREACH TO MEN IN A CHURCH SETTING.
Since 1 Timothy 2:12 obviously contradicts the overall biblical endorsement of women in authority, how are we to understand it? What is Paul actually saying in this passage?
What Paul was most likely saying to the Ephesians was this: "I do not allow a woman to teach these cultic heresies, nor do I allow them to usurp authority from men by performing pagan rituals."   He was not saying, as some Christians have assumed, "I do not allow godly Christian women to teach the Bible."   In his day, Paul would have been thrilled to have had more skilled women who could teach the truth!

LIE #9.  WOMEN ARE MORE EASILY DECEIVED THAN MEN.
who was deceived, but the woman being quite deceived, fell into transgression" (NLT).  Some have suggested that because Eve was tricked by the devil, women have a stronger propensity toward deception.  Others have gone so far as to insist that women are to blame for all the evil in the world and are therefore under a greater curse than men.  The Bible clearly states that Adam and Eve were both held guilty by God for their disobedience, and they were both punished.  Paul was not teaching that women are more prone to deception.  He was explaining that what Eve did was not right, and that the Christian view of the creation was that Adam and Eve sinned when they listened to the serpent. 

Women are certainly capable of spreading deception because they have a fallen nature as men do, but there is no evidence that they have greater gullibility.  That view is rooted in demeaning stereotypes and prejudice. 

LIE #10: WOMEN WHO EXHIBIT STRONG LEADERSHIP QUALITIES HAVE A "SPIRIT OF JEZEBEL."
How absurd! Was Barak "deceived" when he took orders from Deborah? (See Judg. 4:14.) Did baby Jesus come under a harmful influence when Anna prophesied over Him? (See Luke 2:36-38.) Was Apollos spiritually emasculated when he submitted to the teaching of Priscilla? (See Acts 18:26.) Of course not!

To associate godly women with Jezebel, a wicked Old Testament despot, is unfair and offensive, yet men in the church today often pin Jezebel's label on strong, anointed women because they feel threatened by them. 

Let's stop the insults.  If a woman is using manipulation to usurp authority or if she is spreading heresies, then she certainly deserves the Jezebel label--as do men who do such things.  But women who walk in spiritual integrity and preach the Word of God with power deserve our respect. 

1 Like

Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by bukatyne(f): 11:57pm On Sep 10, 2013
soul_glo:

Honestly I don't think women who choose to stay bound understand what redemption is. A woman who is married to a man that bows humbly before Christ really has it all. The problem we find is that insecure men can only function if the woman is reduced to a lower position. Just the same way that black people were said to not be 100% human just to justify slavery. You know the old saying. Give the dog a bad name so you can hang it. I feel so liberated that I know Christ. No man walking in humility would need to control anything. There is nothing more sexy LOL than a man that know were he stands. What woman would not worship and cherish her man that loves her like Christ loves the Church. That man puts her before all else. No question. I thank God that my eyes are wide open to that.

Dear,

Your post sweet my belle.

God has really opened your eyes to see.
Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by Yomidee(m): 12:00am On Sep 11, 2013
Read and Understand your bible...~selah
Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by Revolva(m): 1:30am On Sep 11, 2013
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin women are so easily deceived ok..thats what i know grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by puzzler: 4:35am On Sep 11, 2013
I can only say dat dis write up is demonic and d writer probably is possessed.. Christainity has nothing to do with ur hollywood movies

1 Like

Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by cosify: 5:57am On Sep 11, 2013
I disagree with some of your submissions especially number 1.
Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by ladyinred: 8:31am On Sep 11, 2013
Op, I agree with you 100%.
Women were created by God 2 stand side by side with men, are equals with men in d sight of God and are equal partners in God's vineyard. Any doctrine contrary to this is heresy.
Those of u screaming, feminist! Do urself a favor and google d meaning of feminism. The world wld be a better place if everybody is a feminist. Only then can we dispense with dis idea that men are higher mortals. Isn't it delusional for a mere man 2 consider himself superior 2 half of d world's population? No?
If u think u're a more superior human being because u're a man, then there's something wrong with u. No, really.
Nothing gets a man's pants in a twist like d word submission: if u've 2 remind ur wife 2 submit 2 u, then u're d one with a problem- a good woman will submit 2 a good man. Headship(leadership) is a position of trust, servitude and responsibily. Earn ur stripes as a leader and submission will come easily frm ur wife.
In case u are wondering,
I am a feminist
I believe in feminism and
so should u.

1 Like

Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by 2sa2: 8:58am On Sep 11, 2013
op, you say you are a teenager, i very much doubt that. a teenager does not have time for such issues. You are in your thirties, you are also a very sad lady. My observation#

1 Like

Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by Nobody: 10:02am On Sep 11, 2013
2sa2: op, you say you are a teenager, i very much doubt that. a teenager does not have time for such issues. You are in your thirties, you are also a very sad lady. My observation#

Believe whatever u want to believe! I don't live to please you undecided

In another news; DROWN!
Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by Nobody: 10:04am On Sep 11, 2013
ladyinred: Op, I agree with you 100%.
Women were created by God 2 stand side by side with men, are equals with men in d sight of God and are equal partners in God's vineyard. Any doctrine contrary to this is heresy.
Those of u screaming, feminist! Do urself a favor and google d meaning of feminism. The world wld be a better place if everybody is a feminist. Only then can we dispense with dis idea that men are higher mortals. Isn't it delusional for a mere man 2 consider himself superior 2 half of d world's population? No?
If u think u're a more superior human being because u're a man, then there's something wrong with u. No, really.
Nothing gets a man's pants in a twist like d word submission: if u've 2 remind ur wife 2 submit 2 u, then u're d one with a problem- a good woman will submit 2 a good man. Headship(leadership) is a position of trust, servitude and responsibily. Earn ur stripes as a leader and submission will come easily frm ur wife.
In case u are wondering,
I am a feminist
so should u.

100+ likes
Good to know thinking minds exist smiley
Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by slimikenna(m): 10:11am On Sep 11, 2013
carr101:

Read my post again!!!
A woman can be fulfilled without a man! Get that into ur head ok? smiley

And btw I never said a woman should control her hubby and rule over him. U know reading is quite easy?? Go back and read my post again sir! Being a teenager doesn't mean I'm stupid ok!

so the OP is actually a teenager...ok.
Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by sellydion: 12:07pm On Sep 11, 2013
OP, why are you rebelling against God,s word for harmonious living ?
Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by bukatyne(f): 12:10pm On Sep 11, 2013
puzzler: I can only say dat dis write up is demonic and d writer probably is possessed.. Christainity has nothing to do with ur hollywood movies

What is demonic about the write up?

Please give a yes or no answer to the following questions with Biblical proof

Is God's ultimate plan for women that they serve their husbands?
Can women be spiritually and physically fulfilled without men? i.e. must a woman be married to be fulfilled?
Can a woman work outside the home?
Should a woman submit obediently to her husband in all situations?
Must a man cover a woman in her ministry activities?
Should a woman view her hubby as the priest of her home?
Are women naturally equipped or unequipped for leadership roles?
Is it right for women to preach/teach men in a church settings?
Are women more easily deceived than men?
Do women who exhibit strong leadership spirit possessed with the spirit of Jezebel?

Expecting your response in advance.

Thanks
Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by bukatyne(f): 12:11pm On Sep 11, 2013
sellydion: OP, why are you rebelling against God,s word for harmonious living ?

Please can you also respond to these questions below:

bukatyne:

Can women be spiritually and physically fulfilled without men? i.e. must a woman be married to be fulfilled?
Do women who exhibit strong leadership spirit possessed with the spirit of Jezebel?

Thanks
Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by roaringlamb01(m): 12:30pm On Sep 11, 2013
carr101: We live in the 21st century, but if we're honest we have to admit that in some ways the church is still in the Dark Ages--especially when we look at the way we treat women.

LIE #1.  GOD'S ULTIMATE PLAN FOR WOMEN IS THAT THEY SERVE THEIR HUSBANDS.
How sad that so many Christian men view women from a selfish perspective.  This view is often promoted by misreading the account of Eve's creation in Genesis 2:18-25, in which Adam is provided a "helpmate."   The Hebrew word used here often is translated "companion," denoting intimacy and partnership.  But through the centuries it has been used to imply that Eve was some type of domestic appendage. 

men have assumed that God gave Eve to fulfill Adam's sexual needs as well as to serve as his cook, laundress and maid.  But the Genesis account does not say this. 

After Eve's creation, God did not tell her: "You are Adam's helper; I command you to serve him well."   She was not created for servitude; she was fashioned to be a co-laborer with Adam so that they might rule together over creation as God commissioned them to do (see Gen. 1:28). 

LIE #2.  WOMEN CAN'T BE FULFILLED OR SPIRITUALLY EFFECTIVE WITHOUT A HUSBAND.
From the time she was released from a German death camp in 1944 until her death in 1983, Corrie Ten Boom taught the world about a Savior who could forgive the cruelest Nazi.  Yet she never married.  Did the fact that she did not have a husband make her less "complete"?  Some Christians would say yes. 

We have spent so much energy defending the concept of the biblical family that we are guilty of idolizing it.   We've preached that a woman's primary responsibility is to find a godly husband, have lots of babies and stay home to raise them for Christ.  

But marital status is not a qualifier for ministry.  The Bible does not even state whether certain key followers of Jesus, such as the 12 disciples, were married or not. 

The highest calling of all believers--married or unmarried--is to develop a relationship with Jesus.  Any other earthly relationship is secondary, and Christ Himself warned us never to allow people we love to become idols that distract us from Him. 

LIE #3.  WOMEN SHOULDN'T WORK OUTSIDE THE HOME.
Many evangelical churches have preached that women who work outside the home are breaking a scriptural commandment, but this conclusion can be reached only by distorting the biblical record.  The woman described in Proverbs 31 is often used to bolster a traditional view of the June Cleaver-style matron who spends her day baking casseroles while her husband is at the office.  But a careful reading reveals that the Proverbs 31 woman, in her ancient Middle Eastern context, functioned as a real estate agent and ran a textile business. 

Titus 2:5 instructs women to "take care of their homes" (New Living Translation).  But most scholars would agree that this passage simply exhorts married women not to forsake their children. 

It is true that, because of ambition or materialism, some Christian women neglect their children even though the Holy Spirit has urged them to put their career objectives on hold.  But rather than placing a legalistic burden on women by telling them that having a career is ungodly, we should tell both men and women to submit their career plans to the Holy Spirit's direction. 

LIE #4.  WOMEN MUST OBEDIENTLY SUBMIT TO THEIR HUSBANDS IN ALL SITUATIONS.
If a christian woman is constantly beaten up by her husband and decides to stay, the question is; "If your husband kills you, it will be to the glory of God."
this irresponsible conclusion because of a distorted view of "male headship." We often portray marriage as a hierarchy, with husbands on the throne and wives at the footstool, and we use Scripture to justify this view: "Wives...submit to your husbands as you do to the Lord" (Eph. 5:22).

We assume this verse means women have no say in family matters or that their opinion is second-rate.  In extreme cases, women have been told to submit to abuse in order to honor male headship.  But this is not a Christian view. 

Paul also told the Ephesians, "submit to one another" (5:21, emphasis added).  I have heard teachings by male clergy on the subject of male headship, but I've never heard a pastor encourage men to submit to their wives! Yet in a loving marriage, a man and woman will defer to one another as they make decisions. 

LIE #5.  A MAN NEEDS TO "COVER" A WOMAN IN HER MINISTRY ACTIVITIES.
This idea came from a distorted interpretation of the apostle Paul's words in 1 Corinthians 11:3, "the head of woman is man" (NKJV).  People have used these words to bolster the idea that women are subservient to men or that they cannot approach God without a male authority figure in their lives. 

Paul's teaching in 1 Corinthians 11 about head coverings is a difficult passage, and Bible scholars don't agree on its meaning.  However, most teach that Paul is addressing specific cultural concerns in first-century Corinth and that he is calling for propriety and order in a society where immorality and paganism had blurred gender distinctions. 

Paul was not placing men in a position of generic rulership over women.  Because there is "no male or female in Christ" (see Gal. 3:28), women can pray, worship, study the Bible or minister without a man present.  How silly to think that a man, because of his gender, could add credibility to prayer or Spirit-empowered ministry! To believe this would be to trust in the flesh. 

LIE #6. A WOMAN SHOULD VIEW HER HUSBAND AS THE "PRIEST OF THE HOME."
Search your concordance.  Scripture never describes men as "priests of the home."   This man-made concept was popularized in evangelical churches in the last century.  We have one priest, Jesus Christ, whose blood atoned for our sins.  It is a mockery of the gospel to suggest that any human being needs an additional priest apart from the Son of God.

The Bible says all believers are priests (see 1 Pet. 2:9, Rev. 1:6); there is no gender restriction.  Husbands function as priests when they pray for their families or when they minister the Word of God to them, and wives also function in this role.  Christian men need to stop being defensive and recognize that God has called us to function in unity with our wives.  We need to listen to their counsel, consider their opinions, and pray together for the mind of the Lord rather than putting our foot down and shouting, "I am the leader of this family, and what I say goes!"  

LIE #7.  WOMEN ARE NOT EQUIPPED TO ASSUME LEADERSHIP ROLES.
The most common mistake we make in biblical interpretation occurs when we take one isolated verse and build a doctrine around it--even if the verse seems to contradict other passages.  This is often what we do with 1 Tim. 2:12, "I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man" (NASB).

Most theologians believe that this passage was addressing an isolated situation in Ephesus.  They came to this conclusion after studying the myriad of references in the Bible to women in spiritual authority.  The Old Testament records that Deborah was a judge over Israel--and God blessed her leadership in battle (see Judg. 4-5).  Other women who held authority over men include Miriam, Huldah and Noadiah. 

Jesus issued His first gospel commission to women (see Matt. 28:1-10), and both men and women were empowered to preach on the day of Pentecost (Acts 2:1-4).  Priscilla, Chloe and Phoebe were leaders in the early church, and one woman, Junia, is called an apostle by Paul (Rom. 16:7).

The promise of the prophet Joel was that "sons and daughters" would prophesy after the Holy Spirit was given to the church (Joel 2:28, emphasis added).  Yet we have taken one misunderstood verse from Paul's writings and used it to negate hundreds of other passages that support the full release of women into ministry.

LIE #8: WOMEN MUST NOT TEACH OR PREACH TO MEN IN A CHURCH SETTING.
Since 1 Timothy 2:12 obviously contradicts the overall biblical endorsement of women in authority, how are we to understand it? What is Paul actually saying in this passage?
What Paul was most likely saying to the Ephesians was this: "I do not allow a woman to teach these cultic heresies, nor do I allow them to usurp authority from men by performing pagan rituals."   He was not saying, as some Christians have assumed, "I do not allow godly Christian women to teach the Bible."   In his day, Paul would have been thrilled to have had more skilled women who could teach the truth!

LIE #9.  WOMEN ARE MORE EASILY DECEIVED THAN MEN.
who was deceived, but the woman being quite deceived, fell into transgression" (NLT).  Some have suggested that because Eve was tricked by the devil, women have a stronger propensity toward deception.  Others have gone so far as to insist that women are to blame for all the evil in the world and are therefore under a greater curse than men.  The Bible clearly states that Adam and Eve were both held guilty by God for their disobedience, and they were both punished.  Paul was not teaching that women are more prone to deception.  He was explaining that what Eve did was not right, and that the Christian view of the creation was that Adam and Eve sinned when they listened to the serpent. 

Women are certainly capable of spreading deception because they have a fallen nature as men do, but there is no evidence that they have greater gullibility.  That view is rooted in demeaning stereotypes and prejudice. 

LIE #10: WOMEN WHO EXHIBIT STRONG LEADERSHIP QUALITIES HAVE A "SPIRIT OF JEZEBEL."
How absurd! Was Barak "deceived" when he took orders from Deborah? (See Judg. 4:14.) Did baby Jesus come under a harmful influence when Anna prophesied over Him? (See Luke 2:36-38.) Was Apollos spiritually emasculated when he submitted to the teaching of Priscilla? (See Acts 18:26.) Of course not!

To associate godly women with Jezebel, a wicked Old Testament despot, is unfair and offensive, yet men in the church today often pin Jezebel's label on strong, anointed women because they feel threatened by them. 

Let's stop the insults.  If a woman is using manipulation to usurp authority or if she is spreading heresies, then she certainly deserves the Jezebel label--as do men who do such things.  But women who walk in spiritual integrity and preach the Word of God with power deserve our respect. 

I I have little problem with what you have written, u will learn from the Lord. But I question your reason4 all these. Break homes, break relationship, discredit the church of the living god. You may think you av a few points but I think it is rebellion.. He that defiles temple of God, God will destroy. 1st Corinthians 3:17.

Build people up, not this. Except, the Lord sent u, shut up.
Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by roaringlamb01(m): 12:37pm On Sep 11, 2013
ladyinred: Op, I agree with you 100%.
In case u are wondering,
I am a feminist
so should u.

What do you know that is feminism, my dear sister? Is it in the Word of God? Smh. Just women with low self esteem n rebellion seeking a reason to rebel even more. I guess you are not married.... Both of you....
Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by roaringlamb01(m): 12:43pm On Sep 11, 2013
The best way is to understand any thing, sometimes, is to look at living examples.
People who have followed or lived out these things to have so clearly stated.
How is working out for them now? Are they still in their homes? Note that, when a home breaks, the children's life suffer n a trend is set in their lives. The children esp the girls, become independent n what not...

I agree with what you are saying in some areas, but why drink a glass of milk with a drop of poison in it?
What is the point of your post exactly? Build people up not all these jare.
Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by bukatyne(f): 12:56pm On Sep 11, 2013
roaringlamb01:

What do you know that is feminism, my dear sister? Is it in the Word of God? Smh. Just women with low self esteem n rebellion seeking a reason to rebel even more. I guess you are not married.... Both of you....

roaringlamb01:
I I have little problem with what you have written, u will learn from the Lord. But I question your reason4 all these. Break homes, break relationship, discredit the church of the living god. You may think you av a few points but I think it is rebellion.. He that defiles temple of God, God will destroy. 1st Corinthians 3:17.

Build people up, not this. Except, the Lord sent u, shut up.

roaringlamb01: The best way is to understand any thing, sometimes, is to look at living examples.
People who have followed or lived out these things to have so clearly stated.
How is working out for them now? Are they still in their homes? Note that, when a home breaks, the children's life suffer n a trend is set in their lives. The children esp the girls, become independent n what not...

I agree with what you are saying in some areas, but why drink a glass of milk with a drop of poison in it?
What is the point of your post exactly? Build people up not all these jare.

You are so so funny.

Biko answer the question below

bukatyne:

Thanks
Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by SaintChukz(m): 3:01pm On Sep 11, 2013
Vanneni: Too long and uninteresting. undecided
@ Op...you see what i meant by the women on nl not supporting you. Now here is a perfect example of a real woman^ who didn't even read the shiit cos she is a natural woman who doesn't give a damn about that shiit you wrote.
Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by Nobody: 3:32pm On Sep 11, 2013
Saint Chukz: @ Op...you see what i meant by the women on nl not supporting you. Now here is a perfect example of a real woman^ who didn't even read the shiit cos she is a natural woman who doesn't give a damn about that shiit you wrote.

A real woman by being brainless instead of reading and addressing issues grin guess u too make a good couple! A brainless lady and an arrogant cave man undecided

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Why It Is Wrong To Ban Jehovahs Witnesses / Dear Nigerian's, Do You Know The Meaning Of These Symbols / Apostle Suleman To Buhari: ‘Your EndSARS Speech Was Useless, Insensitive’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 146
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.