Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,211 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:27 AM

Ten Lies The Church Tells Women - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Ten Lies The Church Tells Women (42809 Views)

10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church / 4 Lies The Church Taught Me About Sex / Church Tells HIV Patients To Stop Treatment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by Nobody: 10:47pm On Sep 06, 2013
We live in the 21st century, but if we're honest we have to admit that in some ways the church is still in the Dark Ages--especially when we look at the way we treat women.

LIE #1.  GOD'S ULTIMATE PLAN FOR WOMEN IS THAT THEY SERVE THEIR HUSBANDS.
How sad that so many Christian men view women from a selfish perspective.  This view is often promoted by misreading the account of Eve's creation in Genesis 2:18-25, in which Adam is provided a "helpmate."   The Hebrew word used here often is translated "companion," denoting intimacy and partnership.  But through the centuries it has been used to imply that Eve was some type of domestic appendage. 

men have assumed that God gave Eve to fulfill Adam's sexual needs as well as to serve as his cook, laundress and maid.  But the Genesis account does not say this. 

After Eve's creation, God did not tell her: "You are Adam's helper; I command you to serve him well."   She was not created for servitude; she was fashioned to be a co-laborer with Adam so that they might rule together over creation as God commissioned them to do (see Gen. 1:28). 

LIE #2.  WOMEN CAN'T BE FULFILLED OR SPIRITUALLY EFFECTIVE WITHOUT A HUSBAND.
From the time she was released from a German death camp in 1944 until her death in 1983, Corrie Ten Boom taught the world about a Savior who could forgive the cruelest Nazi.  Yet she never married.  Did the fact that she did not have a husband make her less "complete"?  Some Christians would say yes. 

We have spent so much energy defending the concept of the biblical family that we are guilty of idolizing it.   We've preached that a woman's primary responsibility is to find a godly husband, have lots of babies and stay home to raise them for Christ.  

But marital status is not a qualifier for ministry.  The Bible does not even state whether certain key followers of Jesus, such as the 12 disciples, were married or not. 

The highest calling of all believers--married or unmarried--is to develop a relationship with Jesus.  Any other earthly relationship is secondary, and Christ Himself warned us never to allow people we love to become idols that distract us from Him. 

LIE #3.  WOMEN SHOULDN'T WORK OUTSIDE THE HOME.
Many evangelical churches have preached that women who work outside the home are breaking a scriptural commandment, but this conclusion can be reached only by distorting the biblical record.  The woman described in Proverbs 31 is often used to bolster a traditional view of the June Cleaver-style matron who spends her day baking casseroles while her husband is at the office.  But a careful reading reveals that the Proverbs 31 woman, in her ancient Middle Eastern context, functioned as a real estate agent and ran a textile business. 

Titus 2:5 instructs women to "take care of their homes" (New Living Translation).  But most scholars would agree that this passage simply exhorts married women not to forsake their children. 

It is true that, because of ambition or materialism, some Christian women neglect their children even though the Holy Spirit has urged them to put their career objectives on hold.  But rather than placing a legalistic burden on women by telling them that having a career is ungodly, we should tell both men and women to submit their career plans to the Holy Spirit's direction. 

LIE #4.  WOMEN MUST OBEDIENTLY SUBMIT TO THEIR HUSBANDS IN ALL SITUATIONS.
If a christian woman is constantly beaten up by her husband and decides to stay, the question is; "If your husband kills you, it will be to the glory of God."
this irresponsible conclusion because of a distorted view of "male headship." We often portray marriage as a hierarchy, with husbands on the throne and wives at the footstool, and we use Scripture to justify this view: "Wives...submit to your husbands as you do to the Lord" (Eph. 5:22).

We assume this verse means women have no say in family matters or that their opinion is second-rate.  In extreme cases, women have been told to submit to abuse in order to honor male headship.  But this is not a Christian view. 

Paul also told the Ephesians, "submit to one another" (5:21, emphasis added).  I have heard teachings by male clergy on the subject of male headship, but I've never heard a pastor encourage men to submit to their wives! Yet in a loving marriage, a man and woman will defer to one another as they make decisions. 

LIE #5.  A MAN NEEDS TO "COVER" A WOMAN IN HER MINISTRY ACTIVITIES.
This idea came from a distorted interpretation of the apostle Paul's words in 1 Corinthians 11:3, "the head of woman is man" (NKJV).  People have used these words to bolster the idea that women are subservient to men or that they cannot approach God without a male authority figure in their lives. 

Paul's teaching in 1 Corinthians 11 about head coverings is a difficult passage, and Bible scholars don't agree on its meaning.  However, most teach that Paul is addressing specific cultural concerns in first-century Corinth and that he is calling for propriety and order in a society where immorality and paganism had blurred gender distinctions. 

Paul was not placing men in a position of generic rulership over women.  Because there is "no male or female in Christ" (see Gal. 3:28), women can pray, worship, study the Bible or minister without a man present.  How silly to think that a man, because of his gender, could add credibility to prayer or Spirit-empowered ministry! To believe this would be to trust in the flesh. 

LIE #6. A WOMAN SHOULD VIEW HER HUSBAND AS THE "PRIEST OF THE HOME."
Search your concordance.  Scripture never describes men as "priests of the home."   This man-made concept was popularized in evangelical churches in the last century.  We have one priest, Jesus Christ, whose blood atoned for our sins.  It is a mockery of the gospel to suggest that any human being needs an additional priest apart from the Son of God.

The Bible says all believers are priests (see 1 Pet. 2:9, Rev. 1:6); there is no gender restriction.  Husbands function as priests when they pray for their families or when they minister the Word of God to them, and wives also function in this role.  Christian men need to stop being defensive and recognize that God has called us to function in unity with our wives.  We need to listen to their counsel, consider their opinions, and pray together for the mind of the Lord rather than putting our foot down and shouting, "I am the leader of this family, and what I say goes!"  

LIE #7.  WOMEN ARE NOT EQUIPPED TO ASSUME LEADERSHIP ROLES.
The most common mistake we make in biblical interpretation occurs when we take one isolated verse and build a doctrine around it--even if the verse seems to contradict other passages.  This is often what we do with 1 Tim. 2:12, "I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man" (NASB).

Most theologians believe that this passage was addressing an isolated situation in Ephesus.  They came to this conclusion after studying the myriad of references in the Bible to women in spiritual authority.  The Old Testament records that Deborah was a judge over Israel--and God blessed her leadership in battle (see Judg. 4-5).  Other women who held authority over men include Miriam, Huldah and Noadiah. 

Jesus issued His first gospel commission to women (see Matt. 28:1-10), and both men and women were empowered to preach on the day of Pentecost (Acts 2:1-4).  Priscilla, Chloe and Phoebe were leaders in the early church, and one woman, Junia, is called an apostle by Paul (Rom. 16:7).

The promise of the prophet Joel was that "sons and daughters" would prophesy after the Holy Spirit was given to the church (Joel 2:28, emphasis added).  Yet we have taken one misunderstood verse from Paul's writings and used it to negate hundreds of other passages that support the full release of women into ministry.

LIE #8: WOMEN MUST NOT TEACH OR PREACH TO MEN IN A CHURCH SETTING.
Since 1 Timothy 2:12 obviously contradicts the overall biblical endorsement of women in authority, how are we to understand it? What is Paul actually saying in this passage?
What Paul was most likely saying to the Ephesians was this: "I do not allow a woman to teach these cultic heresies, nor do I allow them to usurp authority from men by performing pagan rituals."   He was not saying, as some Christians have assumed, "I do not allow godly Christian women to teach the Bible."   In his day, Paul would have been thrilled to have had more skilled women who could teach the truth!

LIE #9.  WOMEN ARE MORE EASILY DECEIVED THAN MEN.
who was deceived, but the woman being quite deceived, fell into transgression" (NLT).  Some have suggested that because Eve was tricked by the devil, women have a stronger propensity toward deception.  Others have gone so far as to insist that women are to blame for all the evil in the world and are therefore under a greater curse than men.  The Bible clearly states that Adam and Eve were both held guilty by God for their disobedience, and they were both punished.  Paul was not teaching that women are more prone to deception.  He was explaining that what Eve did was not right, and that the Christian view of the creation was that Adam and Eve sinned when they listened to the serpent. 

Women are certainly capable of spreading deception because they have a fallen nature as men do, but there is no evidence that they have greater gullibility.  That view is rooted in demeaning stereotypes and prejudice. 

LIE #10: WOMEN WHO EXHIBIT STRONG LEADERSHIP QUALITIES HAVE A "SPIRIT OF JEZEBEL."
How absurd! Was Barak "deceived" when he took orders from Deborah? (See Judg. 4:14.) Did baby Jesus come under a harmful influence when Anna prophesied over Him? (See Luke 2:36-38.) Was Apollos spiritually emasculated when he submitted to the teaching of Priscilla? (See Acts 18:26.) Of course not!

To associate godly women with Jezebel, a wicked Old Testament despot, is unfair and offensive, yet men in the church today often pin Jezebel's label on strong, anointed women because they feel threatened by them. 

Let's stop the insults.  If a woman is using manipulation to usurp authority or if she is spreading heresies, then she certainly deserves the Jezebel label--as do men who do such things.  But women who walk in spiritual integrity and preach the Word of God with power deserve our respect.

39 Likes

Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by Nobody: 10:52pm On Sep 06, 2013
brb

4 Likes

Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by Rexphobia(m): 11:01pm On Sep 06, 2013
Woman emancipation thread kiss ... You got to analyze in the light of your current environment. Culturally and traditionally

3 Likes

Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by Mynd44: 11:11pm On Sep 06, 2013
OP will soon be attacked
Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by Nobody: 11:34pm On Sep 06, 2013
Interesting...
OP, you used an illustration in the fourth point. I really want to know what the lady should do when abused? Since you are using the bible strictly, i want to assume divorce is not an answer.
And your number eight, Hian! They are coming to "tutor" you. You'd do well to put on you "teaching glasses".
Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by Nobody: 11:52pm On Sep 06, 2013
Who is tired of life!

1 Like

Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by Nobody: 9:27am On Sep 07, 2013
Mynd_44: OP will soon be attacked

LOL soon...
Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by SaintChukz(m): 10:00am On Sep 07, 2013
@ OP...you are strictly on your own. Even the Women here on NL won't side you on this.

4 Likes

Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by Mynd44: 10:05am On Sep 07, 2013
Saint Chukz: @ OP...you are strictly on your own. Even the Women here on NL won't side you on this.
She will marry herself instead.
She will grow old alone with a black cat. Not a dog cos dogs like happy people but an annoying cat

42 Likes

Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by SaintChukz(m): 10:15am On Sep 07, 2013
Mynd_44:
She will marry herself instead.
She will grow old alone with a black cat. Not a dog cos dogs like happy people but an annoying cat

Lol....she already stated that in her #2 point that her Life will be totally Fulfilled with ^ the scenario you have described here. So let's bide her well in her endeavours. @ OP...enjoy your life!

2 Likes

Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by HezronLorraine(m): 12:49pm On Sep 07, 2013
These are parts of christianity they don't like discussing.
@op,very nice.

13 Likes

Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by Mynd44: 12:54pm On Sep 07, 2013
Hezron Lorraine: These are parts of christianity they don't like discussing.
@op,very nice.
It is embarrassing as it affects the egos of the powers that be

4 Likes

Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by Goldenheart(m): 4:17pm On Sep 09, 2013
Whatever man!
Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by Nobody: 4:18pm On Sep 09, 2013

One does not simply go to church to be told the truth.

6 Likes

Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by Okijajuju1(m): 4:18pm On Sep 09, 2013
carr101: We live in the 21st century, but if we're honest we have to admit that in some ways the church is still in the Dark Ages--especially when we look at the way we treat women.

LIE #1. GOD'S ULTIMATE PLAN FOR WOMEN IS THAT THEY SERVE THEIR HUSBANDS.

Whats a lie about this?!

According to Apostle Paul..

I Cor. 11 – 8 “A Man is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man. For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man: for neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man. But I would have you know that the head of every man is Christ: and the head of the woman is the man: and the head of Christ is God.”

Refer...

carr101: LIE #2. WOMEN CAN'T BE FULFILLED OR SPIRITUALLY EFFECTIVE WITHOUT A HUSBAND.

carr101: LIE #3. WOMEN SHOULDN'T WORK OUTSIDE THE HOME.

And whats a Lie about this?!

Titus 2:5
English Standard Version (ESV)

5 to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled.

carr101: LIE #4. WOMEN MUST OBEDIENTLY SUBMIT TO THEIR HUSBANDS IN ALL SITUATIONS.

Okay... So are you calling brother Timothy a Lair?! angry

1 Timothy 2:12 ESV
I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet.

carr101: LIE #5. A MAN NEEDS TO "COVER" A WOMAN IN HER MINISTRY ACTIVITIES.

1 Cor. 11:7-10

"For a man ought not to have his head covered, since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man. 8 For man does not originate from woman, but woman from man; 9 for indeed man was not created for the woman’s sake, but woman for the man’s sake. 10 Therefore the woman ought to have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels."

1 Corinthians 11:3
3 But I want you to understand that Christ is the head of every man, and the man is the head of a woman, and God is the head of Christ.

carr101: LIE #6. A WOMAN SHOULD VIEW HER HUSBAND AS THE "PRIEST OF THE HOME."

Ephesians 5:23

23 For the husband is the head of the wife, as Christ also is the head of the church, He Himself being the Savior of the body.

carr101: LIE #7. WOMEN ARE NOT EQUIPPED TO ASSUME LEADERSHIP ROLES.

5 For this reason I left you in aCrete, that you would set in order what remains and bappoint celders in every city as I directed you,

6 namely, aif any man is above reproach, the bhusband of one wife, having children who believe, not accused of cdissipation or drebellion.

7 For the 1aoverseer must be above reproach as bGod’s steward, not cself-willed, not quick-tempered, not daddicted to wine, not pugnacious, enot fond of sordid gain,

Acts 2:17

17 ‘aAnd it shall be in the last days,’ God says,

‘That I will pour forth of My Spirit on all 1mankind;

And your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,

And your young men shall see visions,

And your old men shall dream dreams;

carr101: LIE #8: WOMEN MUST NOT TEACH OR PREACH TO MEN IN A CHURCH SETTING.

1 Tim. 2:12-14

"But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet. 13 For it was Adam who was first created, and then Eve. 14 And it was not Adam who was deceived, but the woman being quite deceived, fell into transgression."

carr101: LIE #9. WOMEN ARE MORE EASILY DECEIVED THAN MEN.

2 Corinthians 11:3

3 But I am afraid that, as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, your minds will be led astray from the simplicity and purity of devotion to Christ.

carr101: LIE #10: WOMEN WHO EXHIBIT STRONG LEADERSHIP QUALITIES HAVE A "SPIRIT OF JEZEBEL."

Erm... DUH!!

Shey na the strong Leadership qualities of Jezebel make her go barb Samsom head from Dada to mohawk!

Summary:: The Bible has nothing to do with new millenium or Y2k compliance.. You either obey the word of God or you become an unbeliever.. You women should simply obey the bible and be submissive.. Its this type of behavior that landed Mankind in the problems we are suffering today. You women have started again. Why wouldnt you learn from your ancestors Eve & Jezebel.. angry

Any Woman who isnt submissive to a Man would go to hell.. #Period

92 Likes

Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by xynerise: 4:19pm On Sep 09, 2013
Oh really?

2 Likes

Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by Nobody: 4:20pm On Sep 09, 2013
Their plans to ban me won't work 'cos I've done nothing.Warning To Richiez.I've done nothing O◦°˚ ˚°◦o ,Let Seun warn her fa.OP,I will brb.kilo le fa gbogbo oshi wanyii,ki omo Igbo kan ma teju oju mi mole lori ikan mi,can u imagin her banning me over my brother's website,how funny!

1 Like

Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by Nobody: 4:21pm On Sep 09, 2013
hmmm lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by Stegomiah: 4:22pm On Sep 09, 2013
Do not agree with all the points above
Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by Nobody: 4:23pm On Sep 09, 2013
SimonAndal:
One does not simply go to church to be told the truth.

Epic

2 Likes

Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by diane10a: 4:23pm On Sep 09, 2013
I met my boyfriend on nairaland, is in my place now. Maybe I'll tell him all these and I'll try to serve him well.
Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by Eneze1(f): 4:25pm On Sep 09, 2013
Nice one op, a lot of preachers twist the Bible to please their ego, that's why it's important for you as a person to read the Bible

5 Likes

Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by Nobody: 4:26pm On Sep 09, 2013
Pls who will summarize it?

1 Like

Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by ireneidiva(f): 4:26pm On Sep 09, 2013
Mynd_44: OP will soon be attacked
Hehehehehe. My church never told me those lies. Op knows the kind of church she attends.

11 Likes

Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by MANOSUB(m): 4:26pm On Sep 09, 2013
Feminism

4 Likes

Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by Richy4(m): 4:28pm On Sep 09, 2013
I do not know what you want to achieve by this. I'm sorry to say this but I guess you are very very single.If my guess is right, try and do number 4 to a guy. and you will experience peace you have never had before.

2 Likes

Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by demelza: 4:28pm On Sep 09, 2013
Op you are totally right especially the submission aspect. Once my pastor start preaching that rubbish about enduring everything a man does in the name of him being the head, I just blank him out.

8 Likes

Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by Fazhy: 4:30pm On Sep 09, 2013
OK now!

Re: Ten Lies The Church Tells Women by olufunkeoyedeji(f): 4:30pm On Sep 09, 2013
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
OP, I gues u need paracetamol angry angry angry angry

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

If You Grew Up In A Christian Home And Never Had This Book... We No Be Mate! / Apostle Suleman To Buhari: ‘Your EndSARS Speech Was Useless, Insensitive’ / Top Countries Sending And Receiving Christian Missionaries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.