Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,521 members, 7,819,874 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:33 AM

Why Do You Believe In God? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do You Believe In God? (13064 Views)

Ese Walter Denounces Jesus, Says She No Longer Believes In God / Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven / I Do Not Believe in God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by UyiIredia(m): 12:46am On Sep 14, 2013
Obi1kenobi:

A beautiful, wonderful image of the creator you are. Great to see that godliness resonating and radiating through your being. A real hero to me you are sir. Proof of why I should believe.

This douche bag still thinks me a Christian. Of course, like musKeeto the idi@t wallows in his mudpit of agnosticism. The smarter one is the former. Given he's correct, I pale in comparison to God. If I were Him you would either be dead by decapitation or you would be a torture chamber. Too bad I lack omnisciency to know ya identity.
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Obi1kenobi(m): 12:57am On Sep 14, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

This douche bag still thinks me a Christian. Of course, like musKeeto the idi@t wallows in his mudpit of agnosticism. The smarter one is the former. Given he's correct, I pale in comparison to God. If I were Him you would either be dead by decapitation or you would be a torture chamber. Too bad I lack omnisciency to know ya identity.
Any particular reason you sound so agitated? You sound like you're convulsing in a rabid fit. Take it easy o, bro. grin It's only a faceless forum with varying opinions from different people.

6 Likes

Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by UyiIredia(m): 12:58am On Sep 14, 2013
Obi1kenobi:
a wonderful question that never gets answered. Or the answer is often something about his omnipotence. The impossible boundaries normally ascribed to God that seems to answer everything for many.

I see. So what makes this gbolo think so ? Tell us naught prof, what caused this universe and life on Earth in it ?
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Obi1kenobi(m): 1:05am On Sep 14, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

I see. So what makes this gbolo think so ? Tell us naught prof, what caused this universe and life on Earth in it ?
I don't know. What caused whatever that caused this universe and life on earth in it?
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by UyiIredia(m): 1:05am On Sep 14, 2013
Obi1kenobi:
Any particular reason you sound so agitated? You sound like you're convulsing in a rabid fit. Take it easy o, bro. grin It's only a faceless forum with varying opinions from different people.

Sharrap ! Raving $hi*ting fool. This bloody duffer suffers a short memory.
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by UyiIredia(m): 1:07am On Sep 14, 2013
Obi1kenobi:
I don't know. What caused whatever that caused this universe and life on earth in it?

I say God caused it. What's your ish with that ?
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Obi1kenobi(m): 1:14am On Sep 14, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

I say God caused it. What's your ish with that ?
So what then caused God?
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Obi1kenobi(m): 1:16am On Sep 14, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Short memory? Abeg refresh my memory. Maybe it will help me understand your rabid, deranged ramblings.

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by DermalCarotene(f): 1:37am On Sep 14, 2013
I believe in God because He is God and without Him, I'd be lost.
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by UyiIredia(m): 2:51am On Sep 14, 2013
Obi1kenobi:
So what then caused God?

Nothing. God is known to be uncaused. The uncaused Causer.
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by UyiIredia(m): 2:54am On Sep 14, 2013
Obi1kenobi:
Short memory? Abeg refresh my memory. Maybe it will help me understand your rabid, deranged ramblings.

The mark of a twåt. A pr*ck who really suffers short memory an d whose pathetic attempt and the shadow of what is hardly an insult clings to a life of worthlessness and utter folly. Please just die and spare the world the problem of raising another generation of r€tards such as yourself.
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Obi1kenobi(m): 3:41am On Sep 14, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

The mark of a twåt. A pr*ck who really suffers short memory an d whose pathetic attempt and the shadow of what is hardly an insult clings to a life of worthlessness and utter folly. Please just die and spare the world the problem of raising another generation of r€tards such as yourself.
Still sounding like a deranged loon. Do you care to quit hyper ventilating enough to elaborate on what you're raving about? Do you care to refresh my short memory because I can deduce nothing from your incoherent ramblings.

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Judas2013: 3:42am On Sep 14, 2013
Hemical: @judas2013, I don't understand if you're trying to be sarcastic or making an extra effort to be seen as more intelligent. Anyway, I'll take your comment as sarcasm. @uyi, good that you took your time to look through. I haven't posed any argument here. I'm still trying to see reasons with the concept of God. Anyway, looks like you've gone through Lawrence Krauss. Lool. You are sounding like the first 5 pages of the book when trying to define "nothing". We've been here before. I'm just observing. I'll pose more questions if I find the ground favorable enough for an intelligent discourse. This is on the front page and it will attract all sorts of fundamentalists and bigots. I'll pass for now

When i say there is no God i meant it literarily! The concept of God defined by most humans is Dodgy.It seems everyone thinks God is a seperate being outside of themselves which is false. Every individual is a self-aware, self-reflective, free-will entity - a holographic representation of the Infinite Creation( which is unlimited possibilities) .We all exist ouside space and time but experiencing time and space now which is limiting to our true self. Some of us have madtered how to bend space and time to our advantage and some have not! You are the God you create in your mind.if you decide to put yours in the sky,so be it! Have you noticed christians have created a judgmental God? That is why they are judgmental and threaten people who do not reason like them with hell fire! The mind is a reflection of our real selves. If you look into a mirror and frown,do not expect your reflection to smile.

What people call God,Goddess is all there is in creation. The planets,mountains,oceans are made up of God which is your "mind"!

3 Likes

Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Obi1kenobi(m): 3:43am On Sep 14, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Nothing. God is known to be uncaused. The uncaused Causer.
Is known by who to be uncaused? Did he personally reveal this to you by himself? Or did you just make that up in your mind?

4 Likes

Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Judas2013: 3:46am On Sep 14, 2013
victorv12: Who created God? Man created God for their dysfunctional behavior. They invented God to forgive them
for doing it.

True! They have created a God and satan in a corner of their minds to take respocibilties for the good and bad deeds. But who are they deceiving? Themselves! Because they are the God and devil....split personality lol

3 Likes

Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Judas2013: 3:50am On Sep 14, 2013
Chibuebem: smh. I'm sorry, but God has certain characteristics and he's not going to change because of one mans stubborness

God as[b]certain [/b]? You lie! The God you created has certain characteristics because you chose to leave the rest out. You are the creator of you god,you know that don't lie! You only wanna dodge certain things. Learn to take responsibility for your good and bad deeds.
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Judas2013: 3:50am On Sep 14, 2013
Chibuebem: smh. I'm sorry, but God has certain characteristics and he's not going to change because of one mans stubborness

God as[b]certain[/b]? You lie! The God you created has certain characteristics because you chose to leave the rest out. You are the creator of you god,you know that don't lie! You only wanna dodge certain things. Learn to take responsibility for your good and bad deeds.
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Judas2013: 3:53am On Sep 14, 2013
Chibuebem: he speaks of true belief. Knowledge of God inclusive. Knowing God. No one can truly know God and understand his ways without Jesus.

Sorry to say this again- you lied. You can know yourself without Jesus. Stop your sentiments abeg!

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Judas2013: 3:59am On Sep 14, 2013
Chibuebem: sorry, but you cannot be BORN a christian. It's a concious and serious decision

" Born again" in that concept means self realisation. Being in your vortex. Vortex simply means connection with your physical and non physical self/nature. Dont get me wrong,when i say non physical self i mean the inner you. Connection with that is the original definition of the word "born again" which is an esoteric concept!
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Judas2013: 4:02am On Sep 14, 2013
RoyPCain: @9jadelta; Creator cant be created. if anything is created, that is not the Creator. even the thin air, the Creator created it. so when you get to the end of the line and you can not go further, after that, your have the Absolute Creator Who is One and in English language the generic identity; God in Islam, True Name Allah.

There is only one creator, YOU!
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Judas2013: 4:04am On Sep 14, 2013
Obi1kenobi: People believe because the shackles of childhood indoctrination are very difficult to break. Even for some of the most intelligent people. The god of the bible from the mythical tales we were taught as children is one who manifested himself (often physically) to his people without equivocation. The god everyone around in the modern day carries on their lips only lives in whatever fantasies they craft in their mind. If this god existed, there's no reason he should be shrouded in such mystery to his people. I realize though how hard it can be to break free from these fantasies seeing as I only managed it a few years ago when I had the self awareness to ask questions of everything I had been raised to believe.

Brilliant!
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Judas2013: 4:06am On Sep 14, 2013
victorv12: Some christains can be so funny! Who says that God created the solar system? And how did you endup reasoning that earth is the only habitual planet in the solar system, that God purposely positioned us there? Are you aware that NASA keeps adding to the list of the existing planets? Is it's possible for you to think there are other habitual planets elsewhere waiting to be discovered. Have you ever thought about the tales documented in the bible existed on our planet alone? The moment we travel out of our planet nothing about our history or the people that you know tends not to exist again. The person that wrote the book of genesis, was that person aware that human beings will explore more than the surface of this planet? The solar system picture that you tagged with your comment, why wasn't the picture in any of your holy books? Who were the people that brought the dream of the solar system to reality? Is it the Pope or Bishop Oyedepo? Is not the scientists and the explorers of this world! Did your faith paired your view regarding evolution too? To be soft with you guys, did you know the evolution that is taken place presently as we chat? Are you guys aware of the evolution that took place since we allowed gsm, Internet and dstv into our country? Are we aware of the social impacts it took in our lives? Can any of you drop your mobile phones without attending to it or not browsing the internet for days? I thinks we've to be curious at times...Nothing about the changes we see in our enviroment is about God. Humans must explore and change with time in tune to their enviroment, which is called evolution...That's what keep us going, not God!

Masterpiece! Brilliant!

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Judas2013: 4:08am On Sep 14, 2013
Obi1kenobi:
You do realize the people that purchased and sold your ancestors in slavery in a foreign land and worked them in plantations were often bible-thumping christians. You do realize your colonial masters who plundered your lands were christians too. So you think they saw you as a human equal with them abi? Chei...... grin

Please tell them more abeg!
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Judas2013: 4:10am On Sep 14, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

This one here is a fool. Why reply him at all sad. Me don put am on ignore list....educated illiterate !

2 Likes

Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by luckydinho: 4:19am On Sep 14, 2013
I beliv in God cos he is a great God, the alfa n omega, d beginin n d end d lily of d valley d rose of sharon, i am dat I am d God of heaven n earth, GREATER than d greatest, HIGHER than d highest,
WISER than d wisest, BETTER than d best. OLDER than d oldest, is d
ALMIGHTY God, d all SUFFICIENT GOD, because all
POWER belongs to him. IF u want to be perfect in anytin jst try God's perfection nd if u didnt see changes den den follow ur heart bt I beliv he is unchangeable changer. It is well with u all.
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by salt1: 4:22am On Sep 14, 2013
lorretta u: This question goes to my fellow christains,our muslim brothers,our brothers in the traditional religion and all others with a belief in some supreme being.

For most of us(90%) our belief in God stems from the upbringing our parents and our society imparts in us.
Most believe in God because they were taught to believe.there seems no other way apart from that which they've been set upon.

I belong to that 10% whose religion was not influenced by parental upbringing. My father never stepped into any church till he died. My mom came to share my Christian faith because of me. So I chose what to believe

I for one was born,raised and still christain in the catholic faith.all thru my growing years I was the epitome of a good religious girl.an altar girl,a lay reader & a chorister.I belonged to various associations such as legion of mary,e.t.c if u asked me then I'd have said I believed in God because it was the right thing to do.but as I grew up and as a naturally curios lady I began to ask question that no one had answers to.even the top religious leaders! Well consequently my faith kept dwindling until I was bordering on atheism.but my soul wasn't at rest.until I discovered science.and while some people see science as 'anti-god' I see the answers concerning God in science.
I do not believe in and have not witness 'wam-bam' miracles.but I believe the facts about God is manifest in his creation.

I asked questions too! I read as many Christian literature as I could lay my hands on. I also read books on Christian Science, and briefly found evolution theories convincing and taught science was the answer. But all failed to provide satisfactory answers. Not even Science because I realized that what science considered theories could be negated by superior knowledge just a few years from now. Carbon-dating wasn't error-proof.

A typical example is the human body. The organisation and super intelligence behind every little process in the human body is something that couldn't just have come about by any theory man can propound.

I believe in God but I have so many questions left unanswered.I do not believe in any account of the theory of creation.(It raises many questions) and following the chronology and history of occurences from the bible,it's at logger heads with real scientific evidence of the real age of the earth.(I believe this might be the foundation of atheism.not sure tho)

Now the question goes to you my friends.
Why do u believe in God?

Do you believe because you have to believe in something?

Do you believe because you'd feel lost if you thought there's no higher being watching over us?

Do you believe because you don't want people frowning at you and calling you 'unbeliever'?

Or have you searched your heart?set aside the things u were thought in search of the truth and at the end come up with an unflinching resolve to believe because you've found the truth for yourself?

Do you ask yourself questions?

Do you ask others questions?
And do you wonder at all? At all of it?

Do you wonder the meaning and purpose of life?

Or do you just want to believe because you are afraid of upsetting the balance of your life in searching for the truth?

afraid of going too deep?

Let me know your minds please. smiley

I don't care a hoot what people make of my beliefs because I had an experience which settled all such issues.
I read the Bible and I compared it with scientific evolution. I was thoroughly confused and decided to either validate my belief in God or jettison it as a fake. I tried praying! I called on God and begged Him if He's real to give me an experience that I will never doubt if He really is. The cry was from my innermost being. In an INSTANT, I felt a heavy weight off me! I felt happy! I felt peaceful! That settled all doubts I ever had.
That experience repeats whenever I pray. So I don't believe for anybody's sake
God is real to me!
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Nobody: 4:56am On Sep 14, 2013
salt 1:

I don't care a hoot what people make of my beliefs because I had an experience which settled all such issues.
I read the Bible and I compared it with scientific evolution. I was thoroughly confused and decided to either validate my belief in God or jettison it as a fake. I tried praying! I called on God and begged Him if He's real to give me an experience that I will never doubt if He really is. The cry was from my innermost being. In an INSTANT, I felt a heavy weight off me! I felt happy! I felt peaceful! That settled all doubts I ever had.
That experience repeats whenever I pray. So I don't believe for anybody's sake
God is real to me!

That did it for me, too!

I remember vividly in 2004.. June 28th..at the Chapel, Unilag. It remains an experience I would never EVER forget in a jiffy. All I asked Him was that "If truly you exist, God...please show Yourself.. Show me your Glory...I don't want to rely on people's account and revelation anymore. I need your direct impartation and revelation". It was a real expository moment, alone with God...that moment you would pray for some good hours and you are totally lost..and disconnected from this world, transited to another realm...conversing with God as though You could see Him, right there!!!!! You enter the Holy of holies...boldly. And, devil couldn't hold you down. (Oh mine..) You see revelations..etc

God is real.. HE IS REAL people. When we seek Him, wholeheartedly... we'd find Him.

Jeremiah 9:23 - 24.

Thus saith the LORD, Let not the wise [man] glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty [man] glory in his might, let not the rich [man] glory in his riches. But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I [am] the LORD which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these [things] I delight, saith the LORD.

smiley

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Nobody: 5:06am On Sep 14, 2013
Donalð Genes: I am a scientist by what i studied in the University but i can never allow what someone woke up one day and start writing 'telling me about some 'Origin of species" which he did not even live to proof, 'what does origin of species has to do with God divine Creation in the first place eh? even as at now, God gave me the brain to understand that there is a certain Chromosome called "TELOMERE' which as we grow old, it tends to shorten our live span, and that's why you see all of us having wrinkles at the set biological clock" so after knowing and understanding the GENETIC Time bomb" why will i still foolishly be asking if GOD exist" that's very preposterous, i will never in my entire life ask such questions, my life is to obey God, do as HE tells me to do, doing good to others and loving others, why is that some Atheist don't simple understand ABC" na waohhhhhhhhh
I think the Atheist read so much silly books that seems to make them intelligent fools, sorry to say that but that's what the bible said in Psalm 14 vs 1 "the fool said in his heart there is no God" __come to think of it, you are using God's air to breath and God have not cease your breadth you sleep, wake up, eat God's food, you drink His water join, you went out came back home still breathing with that same oxygen you are using to say you don't believe in HIM who made you, you carry your hands and login to computer, who gave you the eyes to see that Computer, and you think it is from mars or sun or the eyes just came by sheer chance, damn! how dumb can one be again?

To me, even if i was born in china or Tibet, with personal evidence around me, sometimes i just raise my head up and look into the cloud, beholding how it's creatively design, what makes the sun HOT, nobody can tell you that, how the rain fall, it's amazing, you don't even need a seer to tell you that there is God,if not these things wouldn't have been, you can imagine God gave us the absolute freedom to worship Him freely, some of you would be like" i gave you food and you refused to worship me, i will kill you for not believing in me" Isn't it what some people will do if there were God?

Even God said seek me first and everything shall be added unto you" _i rest my case

Dude dont flatter yourself. with this your logic, You are so NOT a scientist lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Vicony4real(m): 5:38am On Sep 14, 2013
gringringrin , Because he is my SOURCE.
Or you still do not believe that everything has source.
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Nobody: 7:13am On Sep 14, 2013
Obi1kenobi:
You do realize the people that purchased and sold your ancestors in slavery in a foreign land and worked them in plantations were often bible-thumping christians. You do realize your colonial masters who plundered your lands were christians too. So you think they saw you as a human equal with them abi? Chei...... grin

'm saying the Same thing Blockhead...
It's the same bible that helped the Slaves regain Freedom
n FYI none of my Ancestors were Slaves..

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by systemz(m): 7:17am On Sep 14, 2013
This is why NP stands out among all the other social media in 9ja. Yes you have mature minds risking to come 2gether to brain-storm on mind-boggling topics.

Risking cuz this is a society largely influenced by strereo-typical religious hypnotism such that people are scared of going this deep in issues as this.

I can only say ride on.
I'll soon be up with my take.
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Nobody: 7:36am On Sep 14, 2013
Judas2013:

" Born again" in that concept means self realisation. Being in your vortex. Vortex simply means connection with your physical and non physical self/nature. Dont get me wrong,when i say non physical self i mean the inner you. Connection with that is the original definition of the word "born again" which is an esoteric concept!
the very man who first used those words is Jesus Christ. Take your argument to him. Stop being confused. Read about what he said. He said you can't enter Gods kingdom without being born again.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

7 Keys To Wealth And Greatness For Christians / Happy Birthday To Bishop David Oyedepo / Things You Should Know As An Instrumentalist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.