Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,620 members, 7,809,282 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:14 AM

Why Do You Believe In God? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do You Believe In God? (13049 Views)

Ese Walter Denounces Jesus, Says She No Longer Believes In God / Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven / I Do Not Believe in God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do You Believe In God? by Nobody: 12:53pm On Sep 08, 2013
This question goes to my fellow christains,our muslim brothers,our brothers in the traditional religion and all others with a belief in some supreme being.

For most of us(90%) our belief in God stems from the upbringing our parents and our society imparts in us.
Most believe in God because they were taught to believe.there seems no other way apart from that which they've been set upon.

I for one was born,raised and still christain in the catholic faith.all thru my growing years I was the epitome of a good religious girl.an altar girl,a lay reader & a chorister.I belonged to various associations such as legion of mary,e.t.c if u asked me then I'd have said I believed in God because it was the right thing to do.but as I grew up and as a naturally curios lady I began to ask question that no one had answers to.even the top religious leaders! Well consequently my faith kept dwindling until I was bordering on atheism.but my soul wasn't at rest.until I discovered science.and while some people see science as 'anti-god' I see the answers concerning God in science.
I do not believe in and have not witness 'wam-bam' miracles.but I believe the facts about God is manifest in his creation.

A typical example is the human body. The organisation and super intelligence behind every little process in the human body is something that couldn't just have come about by any theory man can propound.

I believe in God but I have so many questions left unanswered.I do not believe in any account of the theory of creation.(It raises many questions) and following the chronology and history of occurences from the bible,it's at logger heads with real scientific evidence of the real age of the earth.(I believe this might be the foundation of atheism.not sure tho)

Now the question goes to you my friends.
Why do u believe in God?

Do you believe because you have to believe in something?

Do you believe because you'd feel lost if you thought there's no higher being watching over us?

Do you believe because you don't want people frowning at you and calling you 'unbeliever'?

Or have you searched your heart?set aside the things u were thought in search of the truth and at the end come up with an unflinching resolve to believe because you've found the truth for yourself?

Do you ask yourself questions?

Do you ask others questions?
And do you wonder at all? At all of it?

Do you wonder the meaning and purpose of life?

Or do you just want to believe because you are afraid of upsetting the balance of your life in searching for the truth?

afraid of going too deep?

Let me know your minds please. smiley

9 Likes

Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Kay17: 3:23pm On Sep 08, 2013
1. An intelligent computer can not create itself nor its intelligence.

2. An intelligent man can't create iself

Thus intelligent beings are incapable of self creation.

12 Likes

Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by UyiIredia(m): 3:33pm On Sep 08, 2013
I believe in God because reality begs an explanation.

Be back for more.

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by UyiIredia(m): 3:36pm On Sep 08, 2013
Kay 17: 1. An intelligent computer can not create itself nor its intelligence.

Ergo, evolution fails and I need not say how critical it is to the question.
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by UyiIredia(m): 4:16pm On Sep 08, 2013
I'll do my best to keep things simple.

lorretta u: I do not believe in any account of the theory of creation.(It raises many questions) and following the chronology and history of occurences from the bible,it's at logger heads with real scientific evidence of the real age of the earth.

What's your understanding of the scientific evidence ? I want to know and hear from you, not Wikipedia.

lorretta u: (I believe this might be the foundation of atheism.not sure tho)

It isn't. In fact, some atheists can argue it doesn't have any foundation since it is supposedly not a belief. Atheism usually rests on lack of satisfaction with arguments or evidence presented for God's existence.

lorretta u: Now the question goes to you my friends

Okay.

lorretta u: Why do u believe in God?

Simple, cause and effect. I find that I am a conscious being in a world filled with all sorts and wonder how to explain it. I note that material things even in the working brain lack consciousness and they beg a cause. I note how consciouness is a compulsory for creativity in humans and I infer that a concscious being which had to be uncaused and supernatural designed the universe and life in it.

lorretta u: Do you believe because you have to believe in something?

Absolutely not.

lorretta u: Do you believe because you'd feel lost if you thought there's no higher being watching over us?

I won't. I should assume an atheist stance abytime soon. So far, I'm deist, if my family have got the memo I haven't been confronted.

lorretta u: Do you believe because you don't want people frowning at you and calling you 'unbeliever'?

No. In fact, it so happens I have been frowned on for associating with atheists or reading related threads, articles or books a lot, by friends and family.

lorretta u: Or have you searched your heart?

Yes. So much to the point I can empathize fully what it means when some mention the turmoil faced. I think I corrected Kails when she made a mistake bordering on this when she said that atheists don't think their athiesm true, if I recall right.

lorretta u: set aside the things u were thought in search of the truth and at the end come up with an unflinching resolve to believe because you've found the truth for yourself?

Sure. I've set Christianity aside and whatever position I come up with MUST be known to my family when I think the time right.

lorretta u: Do you ask yourself questions?

I sometimes ask if people ask the questions I ask. I ask that much.

lorretta u: Do you ask others questions?

I do and sometimes get answers.

lorretta u: And do you wonder at all?

Of course I do. All humans do.

lorretta u: At all of it?

Yeah cheesy

lorretta u: Do you wonder the meaning and purpose of life?

Sure. Atheists don't believe in a divine purpose but that it comes from self. My deism allows for divine purpose: primarily because the consciousness which understands purpose is from God and the purpose that the universe exists as testament to humans ans God that the Creator is.

lorretta u: Or do you just want to believe because you are afraid of upsetting the balance of your life in searching for the truth?

No. I recall when young being told by my mum that thinking on God gets you mad. I've grown past believing that and focus in my quest to knowing the truth.

lorretta u: afraid of going too deep?

Or too shallow. Sometimes things deep to others are thought silly to some. The Bible for instance. Or 'On The Origin Of The Species' to some. In any case, I am not afraid. I believe one can apply one's mind in any direction. It's simply a problem of choice of which direction to pick.

lorretta u: Let me know your minds please. smiley

I have to a good extent.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Kay17: 5:03pm On Sep 08, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Ergo, evolution fails and I need not say how critical it is to the question.

Kay 17: 1. An intelligent computer can not create itself nor its intelligence.

1. A well ordered world necessitates an intelligent creator and negates blind Nature

2. A well ordered world reflects the well ordered mind of the intelligent creator

3. Hence the well ordered mind demands a creator

4. An intelligent being cannot create itself

4 Likes

Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by UyiIredia(m): 5:20pm On Sep 08, 2013
^^^Okay.
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Nobody: 5:23pm On Sep 08, 2013
Great thread Loretta,

I believe in God because he revealed himself to me. I also believe that science confirms his existence.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Nobody: 8:33pm On Sep 08, 2013
What's your understanding of the scientific evidence ? I want to know and hear from you, not Wikipedia
@ Uyi,In my little understanding of the scientific evidence of the earth's age.using carbon dating which is a fool proof method of determining the age of relics and fossils,scientists have been able to prove the age of certain rocks that go beyond the time from which the bible was written or the history written in it.that's not to say I don't believe in the bible.but going into what i think of the bible will probably be best discussed in another new thread.

That said,I think the reason why you believe in God is the same reason I do.that's nice
striktlymi: Great thread Loretta,

I believe in God because he revealed himself to me. I also believe that science confirms his existence.
thanks smiley

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Nobody: 9:20pm On Sep 08, 2013
He has revealed himself to me in the form of a number of experiences, that's just one of many reasons
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by UyiIredia(m): 9:38pm On Sep 08, 2013
lorretta u: @ Uyi,In my little understanding of the scientific evidence of the earth's age.using carbon dating which is a fool proof method of determining the age of relics and fossils,scientists have been able to prove the age of certain rocks that go beyond the time from which the bible was written or the history written in it.that's not to say I don't believe in the bible.but going into what i think of the bible will probably be best discussed in another new thread.

I have doubts given what creationist say. Polonium halos, C-14 in diamonds and all that. In any case, I don't think my knowledge sufficient to conclude. Anytime you make the Bible thread ish, please tell me.

lorretta u: That said,I think the reason why you believe in God is the same reason I do.that's nicethanks smiley

You're welcome.
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Nobody: 10:48pm On Sep 08, 2013
Ok.I'll holla u when I do (if I do) smiley

Emm the thanks was meant for (striktlymi) undecided
Uyi Iredia:

I have doubts given what creationist say. Polonium halos, C-14 in diamonds and all that. In any case, I don't think my knowledge sufficient to conclude. Anytime you make the Bible thread ish, please tell me.

You're welcome.
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Nobody: 10:55pm On Sep 08, 2013
ibkaye: He has revealed himself to me in the form of a number of experiences, that's just one of many reasons
u mind sharing with us?

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Nobody: 11:27pm On Sep 08, 2013
lorretta u: This question goes to my fellow christains,our muslim brothers,our brothers in the traditional religion and all others with a belief in some supreme being.

[For most of us(90%) our belief in God stems from the upbringing our parents and our society imparts in us.
Most believe in God because they were taught to believe.there seems no other way apart from that which they've been set upon.]

True that

I for one was born,raised and still christain in the catholic faith.all thru my growing years I was the epitome of a good religious girl.an altar girl,a lay reader & a chorister.I belonged to various associations such as legion of mary,e.t.c if u asked me then I'd have said I believed in God because it was the right thing to do.but as I grew up and as a naturally curios lady I began to ask question that no one had answers to.even the top religious leaders! Well [consequently my faith kept dwindling]

happening to me now

until I was bordering on atheism.but my soul wasn't at rest.until I discovered science.and while some people see science as 'anti-god' I see the answers concerning God in science.
I do not believe in and have not witness 'wam-bam' miracles.but I believe the facts about God is manifest in his creation.

A typical example is the human body. The organisation and super intelligence behind every little process in the human body is something that couldn't just have come about by any theory man can propound.

I believe in God but I have so many questions left unanswered.I do not believe in any account of the theory of creation.(It raises many questions) and following the chronology and history of occurences from the bible,it's at logger heads with real scientific evidence of the real age of the earth.(I believe this might be the foundation of atheism.not sure tho)

[Now the question goes to you my friends.
Why do u believe in God? ]

I can't just conceive of a me without a designer like the organs being in the right place although there are people born with abnormalities dunno why

[Do you believe because you have to believe in something?]

I dunno

Do you believe because you'd feel lost if you thought there's no higher being watching over us?

In my quest for truth i'm almost lost now
it's not easy sheding all those fears and guilt no lie

[Do you believe because you don't want people frowning at you and calling you 'unbeliever'?]

One of the reason i still church because i've influenced people positively towarfs church and i don't ave a place ofmy own yet i'm an Undergrate

[Or have you searched your heart?set aside the things u were thought in search of the truth and at the end come up with an unflinching resolve to believe because you've found the truth for yourself?]

Still doing my findings evn though somethings are obvious i still find it difficult to accept it

[Do you ask yourself questions? ]

Yep and almost going nuts because i wnt my preference to be the truth

[Do you ask others questions?
And do you wonder at all? At all of it? ]

I.don't i don't wanna shake anyone's faith it's left for them to come to that realization, yep i do and at all.

[Do you wonder the meaning and purpose of life?]

Yep yet to figure it out

[Or do you just want to believe because you are afraid of upsetting the balance of your life in searching for the truth?]

i already upset the balance and the saving grace i have is the ASUU-FG problem otherwise na problem oo i still fear it doesn't affect when sch resumes because it 's jst crazy

[afraid of going too deep?]

So Far Gone

Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Emusan(m): 7:59am On Sep 09, 2013
@OP I'm so impress on these your questions, how I wish all christians can search their mind deep down and ask themself these questions.

I was born into a christian home but there was a time I almost fall away from grace because of some questions on reality in nature our finite mind beg answers to and as someone who loves science, but instead of allowing myself to be deluded on what I believe. I pray to God to manifest Himself to me which He did.

I really thank God because if not maybe I would've become an atheist.

So I believe in God because God manifest Himself to me.

My question is since you join christian what step(s) are you taking to see the manifestation of God? To me science has confirmed God in many ways.

Shalom!

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by UyiIredia(m): 5:16pm On Sep 11, 2013
lorretta u:
Emm the thanks was meant for (striktlymi) undecided

My mistake.
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Fajzay: 12:04am On Sep 13, 2013
Cos there is proofs of his personality
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by musaajebor(m): 12:56am On Sep 13, 2013
My own belief in God stem from the fact that in reality there's good and evil.so therefore there must be a source or origin of thiis reality on ground.and religion has provided perfect answer to the origin of what even science cannot explain.which is the existence of the supreme.hence my believe in the almighty Allah(swt)

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Nobody: 2:15am On Sep 13, 2013
i just do.
and i am proud.
i will keep my personal testimonies to myself. tongue

3 Likes

Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by plaetton: 3:22am On Sep 13, 2013
People believe in god because they are born into environments where everyone believes in god. Simple.

If most you were born and raised in Japan, China or India or Tibet, your so-called sacred beliefs would either not exists at all or would be totally different from what they are now.

It is a learned trait from our environment, in which plenty of positive reinforcement mechanisms mold our thinking even before we begin to formulate our own coherent thoughts.

In the same way that most people from Northern Nigeria or Saudi Arabia are muslims, most people from India are Hindus, most people from Israel are Judaist ,etc.

God is a mental creation that lives in the mind of the believer.
That is why god is omni everything. That is why god seems to have a bias for the things you like, and an equal prejudice for the things you hate.

That is also why god does not reveal himself to Chinese, Indians, Japanese, Pagans and atheists.

I have long been shouting that doubt is the default mental setting for humans, and that therefore, religious belief or faith is actually a veiled expression of that doubt.

As my evidence, Pls examine critically, religious stories/myths, as well as religious doctrines and practices. All these are carefully woven for the sole purpose of checkmating doubts.

Going to church, repetitive prayer, repetitive regurgitation of selected scriptures, and of course, constant threats of eternal damnation.
These are all reinforcements to keep you from backsliding into the default mode of doubts.

So, the belief you think you have in god, I'm sorry, is simply not yours.
Even when you think you are objectively evaluating this belief, you are already coming from a biased and corrupted mental position.
Ever since you started articulating your own thoughts, you have probably never been in the default position from whence you can objectively evaluate the notion of god.

25 Likes

Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by musaajebor(m): 8:20am On Sep 13, 2013
plaetton: People believe in god because they are born into environments where everyone believes in god. Simple.

If most you were born and raised in Japan, China or India or Tibet, your so-called sacred beliefs would either not exists at all or would be totally different from what they are now.

It is a learned trait from our environment, in which plenty of positive reinforcement mechanisms mold our thinking even before we begin to formulate our own coherent thoughts.

In the same way that most people from Northern Nigeria or Saudi Arabia are muslims, most people from India are Hindus, most people from Israel are Judaist ,etc.

God is a mental creation that lives in the mind of the believer.
That is why god is omni everything. That is why god seems to have a bias for the things you like, and an equal prejudice for the things you hate.

That is also why god does not reveal himself to Chinese, Indians, Japanese, Pagans and atheists.

I have long been shouting that doubt is the default mental setting for humans, and that therefore, religious belief or faith is actually a veiled expression of that doubt.

As my evidence, Pls examine critically, religious stories/myths, as well as religious doctrines and practices. All these are carefully woven for the sole purpose of checkmating doubts.

Going to church, repetitive prayer, repetitive regurgitation of selected scriptures, and of course, constant threats of eternal damnation.
These are all reinforcements to keep you from backsliding into the default mode of doubts.

So, the belief you think you have in god, I'm sorry, is simply not yours.
Even when you think you are objectively evaluating this belief, you are already coming from a biased and corrupted mental position.
Ever since you started articulating your own thoughts, you have probably never been in the default position from whence you can objectively evaluate the notion of god.
so u have backslided into ur default mode of doubt.sorry.
I believe the reason for this is because u don't have a personal relationship with God.since u once believed in God due to ur upbringing and ur environment,u shoulda just adhered to those practices that will keep u in belief instead of crashing into doubt.
All d same sorry urs is a pathetic story.
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Nobody: 11:08am On Sep 13, 2013
frontpage material. this kinda question can really cause serious dialogue

2 Likes

Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Nobody: 12:39pm On Sep 13, 2013
Well loretta, I never found God. God found me. I never looked for truth. Truth caught up with me. Reality caught up with me. I've been in it ever since. I was just confused. I might have become an atheist meself. You see, i was caught up in the dead end of sin. I was raised to believe that there was a God. But I was just a religious and natural person. I never could meet the requirements of this God. I always ended up doing a bit of wrong. I was human you see. But i knew the bible God never took being human as an excuse. But the more i tried, the deeper i fell.
Then I went to a meeting, and God met me you see. Yeah. I met God in that meeting. I felt his power. I still feel it. Even as i type this message. God met me. Reality enveloped me. And I got to know God. I still grow in knowledge of him every day. I trusted in his power, in his love, and I was saved from sin. I'm free now you see. Jesus' salvation is available to all who believe. I realized that I by meself could never fulfil the requirements of the law. And i trusted in his power and life. I'm saved. I know God. My life bears witness. I have seen this happen in many lives. In my case, its the real story of a young boy saved from religion and sin, from imperfection. Others have been saved from the deep throes of deception and occultism and atheism. Its the same. Jesus saves. I continued and still continue in my life journey with God. I know reality.
Jesus is the way.
He is the message.
Trust in him and find real life. Eternal life.

15 Likes

Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by quivah(f): 12:46pm On Sep 13, 2013
Fajzay: Cos there is proofs of his personality
what proofs?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by UjSizzle(f): 12:52pm On Sep 13, 2013
God revealed himself to me smiley and everything around us serves as proof of his existence.
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Nobody: 1:23pm On Sep 13, 2013
For two reasons

Fear and Love

Fear
I believe in him because I've been told time and time again if I don't he created a hell and he will drop me there. Even if i no longer believe in the hell crap, i'm afraid everything could go wrong if i dont.

Love
I cannot describe it well. My bad

I'd come back sha

2 Likes

Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by plaetton: 2:29pm On Sep 13, 2013
musa ajebor: so u have backslided into ur default mode of doubt.sorry.
I believe the reason for this is because u don't have a personal relationship with God.since u once believed in God due to ur upbringing and ur environment,u shoulda just adhered to those practices that will keep u in belief instead of crashing into doubt.
All d same sorry urs is a pathetic story.

If god exists, why does anyone need to BELIEVE in him? Why wouldn't he just be self-evident?
A personal relationship with god simply means accommodating god in my head.
My question is why does he need to live only in my head?
Do I need to form a personal relationship with the sun, or gravity, or Oxygen, for example?

The fact that we even have an expectation to believe in god is proof that we have deep innate doubts about his existence.

6 Likes

Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by baby124: 2:45pm On Sep 13, 2013
lorretta u:

Now the question goes to you my friends.
Why do u believe in God? - Yes

Do you believe because you have to believe in something? - No. I believe God is in everything. The world is too magnificent not to realize and recognize the maker. A being is responsible for this awesome beauty. I strongly believe that because the world was made almost perfectly. Even the smallest organism has a very important role to play.

Do you believe because you'd feel lost if you thought there's no higher being watching over us? - No. I believe because i truly do. Though the questions do come once in a while. Especially if you look at the life cycle of animals. We are animals too, just of higher intelligence.

Do you believe because you don't want people frowning at you and calling you 'unbeliever'? - I really have never cared about what anyone said. So i dont think this matters to me.

Or have you searched your heart?set aside the things u were thought in search of the truth and at the end come up with an unflinching resolve to believe because you've found the truth for yourself? - Science most of the time backs up the writings in the bible. I think they go hand in hand. smiley

Do you ask yourself questions? - Yes, very many.

Do you ask others questions? - Yes.
And do you wonder at all? At all of it? - Yes.

Do you wonder the meaning and purpose of life? - Yes. But if you wonder too much you may just sit down and accomplish nothing. I believe we all have an important role to play. And if we are missing at the time we are needed to play such a role, the world may lose a level of balance.

Or do you just want to believe because you are afraid of upsetting the balance of your life in searching for the truth? - I dont think i am afraid to face the truth on the reality of life. I didnt create it, so what ever will be will be. If it turns out not to be what i always believed, that is okay too.

afraid of going too deep? - Never

Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Kay17: 5:27pm On Sep 13, 2013
Anthropomorphic arguments are merely "self confessions"
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Samsantos9: 5:50pm On Sep 13, 2013
I believe in God because of the complexity of living things, I believe all living creatures couldn't have been a result of dumb/blind chance.

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Nobody: 5:51pm On Sep 13, 2013
Its cool to. Period

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by russianmob27: 5:52pm On Sep 13, 2013
I believe in a higher power higher than that of we humans, humans are gods on there own, believe in evil though but hell fire and heaven is still a mystery

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

How Christmas Ought To Be Celebrated / The Aftermath Of Rapture / Can A Christian Man (marry (two (2))wives? Is It A Sin?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.