Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,515 members, 7,819,857 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:43 AM

Why Do You Believe In God? - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do You Believe In God? (13062 Views)

Ese Walter Denounces Jesus, Says She No Longer Believes In God / Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven / I Do Not Believe in God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Obi1kenobi(m): 2:28pm On Sep 14, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Your ears are twisted and your brain's all mushy to talk of sound when I write. Explains the mention of incoherency given you peabrains like you still $h*t about in diapers. Given your confirmed poor memory read this thread and put your brain back where it belongs, your head, and off where it shouldn't be, your ar$€.
You still haven't stated what your actual problem is. You link a thread where you were trying to define my beliefs for me and I don't get how it has influenced your perverse, aggro show on this thread. No logical relevance whatsoever. Next time, try tackling the points in the thread rather than your crude, vindictive, rabid dog ranting. I don't give a toss about any argument I've had with you in the past. You're not that relevant. It's an opinion forum. State and debate yours and move on.

Grow up and stop being a bleeping m.or.on.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Obi1kenobi(m): 2:38pm On Sep 14, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

People with a belief in God. Theists and deists of every stripe.

No.

I did given the simple logic that an infinite regress of causes is a logical absurdity, hence in a chain of effects there must be recourse to a cause that is non-contingent or uncaused. God being that cause.
So the infinite regress of causes is absurd? And you can unilaterally ascribe the origin of these chain of causes to a sky daddy with no evidence? Still can't run away from the simple fact that the origin of God is as shrouded in mystery as the origin of the universe. All the suppositions and conjecturing and speculations don't amount to any proof of his existence.
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by kennedyugo: 2:50pm On Sep 14, 2013
No philosopher will enter Heaven!
Isaiah 45:21-23: 21 Tell ye, and bring [them] near; yea, let them take counsel together: who hath declared this from ancient time? [who] hath told it from that time? [have] not I the LORD? and [there is] no God else beside me; a just God and a Saviour; [there is] none beside me. 22 Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I [am] God, and [there is] none else. 23 I have sworn by myself, the word is gone out of my mouth [in] righteousness, and shall not return, That unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear.
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Nobody: 3:12pm On Sep 14, 2013
Did someone just say he is a god and Creator?

Pls, what God/Creator are you that has no power over death etc?? cheesy
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by TerryCarr(m): 4:38pm On Sep 14, 2013
Donalð Genes:

hmmmph! i pity you, showing us common pictures of some people worshipping whatever poo they think they wanna worship, how does that concern us, even if they like , let them believe in their A.nus, who cares, time will tell if when OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST shall come, it will be too late to say oh had i know,
even the demons knows and believe in God, read this" Mathew chapter 8 vs 28 "When he arrived at the other side in the region of the Gadarenes,[a] two demon-possessed men coming from the tombs met him. They were so violent that no one could pass that way. 29 “What do you want with us, Son of God?” they shouted. “Have you come here to torture us before the appointed time?”
the only reason you worship Jesus is because the Euros told you too.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Judas2013: 5:12pm On Sep 14, 2013
Chikeziehosan:
even Einstein believed in a Creator

So who are u
Nobody
A Black Atheist
A devolved Homo Sapiens
Embrace the Religion that teaches Equality
Saying the bible was a lie is Blasphemous

None Of my Relatives were ever abducted...
Royal blood Line

U'll see Jesus on the Judgement Day

You can never make Up to that amount even if Ur lineage survives Till the time when the Sun expands n becomes a Red giant

I will love to see him and sell his alien asss again. This time to Area 51
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Judas2013: 5:13pm On Sep 14, 2013
kennedyugo: No philosopher will enter Heaven!
Isaiah 45:21-23: 21 Tell ye, and bring [them] near; yea, let them take counsel together: who hath declared this from ancient time? [who] hath told it from that time? [have] not I the LORD? and [there is] no God else beside me; a just God and a Saviour; [there is] none beside me. 22 Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I [am] God, and [there is] none else. 23 I have sworn by myself, the word is gone out of my mouth [in] righteousness, and shall not return, That unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear.

Heaven is meant for fools then. If at all i want to go to heaven, i would prefer the one with 72 virgins.
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by sniperwolf(m): 5:14pm On Sep 14, 2013
I stand to lose nothing if I believe in God and it happens that there is no God at the end.
I stand to lose everything if I don't believe in God and at the end they happen to be a God
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Judas2013: 5:15pm On Sep 14, 2013
I am a God!

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Judas2013: 5:17pm On Sep 14, 2013
I am a God,i am the first and last ,ancient of days,omnipotent . Ask Kanye west!
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Nobody: 5:26pm On Sep 14, 2013
@uyi iredia; is man part of the nature of deism? are celestial bodies part of this nature? what about what you don't see and will never be discovered in your lifetime because knowledge, vis a vis discovery is progressive? denying part of the evidence for existence of God, eg His Books of revelations is denying God in reality. i can say i truly love you if i dont love all that makes you, you, your spouse, offspring, fore-bearers.
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Nobody: 5:50pm On Sep 14, 2013
Chikeziehosan: ....Darwin believed Negroes blacks were a Step closer to Primates than Whites....
That was why n Still y we are looked down upon by d whites till today

n Later
Einstein Said there's no way there couldn't av been a Creator

Well Einstein was Agnostic
he said

''About God, I cannot accept any concept based on the authority of the Church. As long as I can remember, I have resented mass indoctrination. I do not believe in the fear of life, in the fear of death, in blind faith. I cannot prove to you that there is no personal God, but if I were to speak of him, I would be a liar. I do not believe in the God of theology who rewards good and punishes evil. My God created laws that take care of that. His universe is not ruled by wishful thinking, but by immutable laws''.

- A. Einstein.
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by chizzy012(m): 6:48pm On Sep 14, 2013
Simply,He(God) is the owner of my Life.
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by UyiIredia(m): 7:35pm On Sep 14, 2013
Obi1kenobi:
You still haven't stated what your actual problem is. You link a thread where you were trying to define my beliefs for me and I don't get how it has influenced your perverse, aggro show on this thread. No logical relevance whatsoever. Next time, try tackling the points in the thread rather than your crude, vindictive, rabid dog ranting. I don't give a toss about any argument I've had with you in the past. You're not that relevant. It's an opinion forum. State and debate yours and move on.

Grow up and stop being a bleeping m.or.on.

I see. Then get lost. Get dead. And rot away.
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by UyiIredia(m): 7:43pm On Sep 14, 2013
Obi1kenobi:
So the infinite regress of causes is absurd?

To argue otherwise would be to argue with a lesser mind.

Obi1kenobi:
And you can unilaterally ascribe the origin of these chain of causes to a sky daddy with no evidence?

Actually I hold God to be the space you're in. That said, the evidence is Nature. I can't bring physical evidence since we have no way of witnessing unrecorded past events, what I do is make a set of inferences and axioms which should suffice as evidence. The strength of one's argument is sufficient as evidence.

Obi1kenobi:
Still can't run away from the simple fact that the origin of God is as shrouded in mystery as the origin of the universe.

It is the mystery which drives people in a search that ends up with
a belief in God, and we have many religions to attest to that. Mystery is never an answer.

Obi1kenobi:
All the suppositions and conjecturing and speculations don't amount to any proof of his existence.

Why would you suppose such ?
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by FiyinfoluwaA1(m): 7:43pm On Sep 14, 2013
Ever Wondered how you can hold, breath, think, talk, see and move.
Every unit has a leader, founder or someone who controls it which means that THERE IS A PERSON WHO CONTROLS THE UNIVERSE AND HOLDS EVERY SINGLE MATTER IN PLACE...
HE IS CALLED GOD! and thats why i believe him.
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by UyiIredia(m): 7:54pm On Sep 14, 2013
RoyPCain: @uyi iredia; is man part of the nature of deism?

Yes. Man is a part of Nature.

RoyPCain: are celestial bodies part of this nature?

Yes.

RoyPCain: what about what you don't see and will never be discovered in your lifetime because knowledge, vis a vis discovery is progressive?

Very much so.

RoyPCain: denying part of the evidence for existence of God, eg His Books of revelations is denying God in reality.

Deists generally deny revelation, but personally, I differ because I think, at the very least it is possible, just no longer believe in it as I once did. To think otherwise is to put God in a box and humans tend to do that with their religion and philosophies. Some more than the others.

RoyPCain: i can say i truly love you if i dont love all that makes you, you, your spouse, offspring, fore-bearers.

I think you meant can't. In any case, there are many many revelations people have from God. People tend to uphold one to denounce the other as we see in Christianity and Islam but part why I became deist is I think they are just various aspects of God.
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by UyiIredia(m): 8:03pm On Sep 14, 2013

Poor William Lane-Craig. Those Christians who bothered about philosophy. The likes of St. Thomas Aquinas, Peter Aberlard etc. All for nothing: their study of philosiphy dooms them to hell.

kennedyugo: Isaiah 45:21-23: 21 Tell ye, and bring [them] near; yea, let them take counsel together: who hath declared this from ancient time? [who] hath told it from that time? [have] not I the LORD? and [there is] no God else beside me; a just God and a Saviour; [there is] none beside me. 22 Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I [am] God, and [there is] none else. 23 I have sworn by myself, the word is gone out of my mouth [in] righteousness, and shall not return, That unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear.

This verse would better support your former statement.

Colossians 2:8
8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by redskin: 8:21pm On Sep 14, 2013
striktlymi: Great thread Loretta,

I believe in God because he revealed himself to me. I also believe that science confirms his existence.
how did He reveal Himself to u? Wat does He look like
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Nobody: 8:22pm On Sep 14, 2013
Judas2013: I am a God!
no. I know God. You being a pathetic excuse is an understatement. grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Revolva(m): 11:57pm On Sep 14, 2013
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode]
Bigcake: I believe in d Lordship of Jesus Christ. He is d King of kings n d Lord of Lords. At d mention of His name every knee shall bow.
story na today!!!!!!!how many don bow.....

Another idi...iot..so its wrong for someone to be wise..abi...and which heaven are you talking about? a place that does not exist...when one dies[/font]
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Nobody: 4:51am On Sep 15, 2013
If GOD did not exist it would have been necessar¥ to invent Him. Look out for the true defination of GOD, we the creatures make Him GOD.
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by tolu4you: 10:04am On Sep 15, 2013
wat made me believe in God?........ I believe in Him because He created me..... Some believe in science revolution, dats good for them but i believe science didn't create us, we created science.

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by kennedyugo: 4:42pm On Sep 15, 2013
Judas2013:

Heaven is meant for fools then. If at all i want to go to heaven, i would prefer the one with 72 virgins.
1 Corinthians 1:18-29: 18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. 19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. 20 Where [is] the wise? where [is] the scribe? where [is] the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. 22 For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom: 23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness; 24 But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God. 25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men. 26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, [are called]: 27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; 28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, [yea], and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: 29 That no flesh should glory in his presence.

Everything is taken care of. Are you boasting in your wisdom which is nothing but infinitesimal compared to that of God? God doesn't give a damn!
Why don't you explain why man dies? What is the essence of man here? Maybe man is like any other animal? Scientist and philosophers only reason in the physical, not considering that the physical is so limited. You cannot therefore know everything by your physical senses. God is real! He's the maker of the universe! One day every knee shall bow, both those who believe now and those who do not! You better believe now, you got nothing to lose, rather you'll gain!
I better believe there's Heaven now and work towards it and then later discover there's no Heaven than not believe now but discover later it's true; then it must be late!
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by bchineme: 1:06am On Sep 16, 2013
Yes I strongly believe that there is God cause alot proved such to me.

have you thought of Where darkness used to hide when ever light comes out? 2 have u ever thought of the pillar of heaven Where they are? 3 who is that first man and woman let's forget about Adam, who is his mom?

have you thought of Where darkness used to hide when ever light comes out? 2 have u ever thought of the pillar of heaven Where they are? 3 who is that first man and woman let's forget about Adam, who is his mom?

Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Nobody: 12:36pm On Oct 08, 2013
lorretta u: This question goes to my fellow christains,our muslim brothers,our brothers in the traditional religion and all others with a belief in some supreme being.

For most of us(90%) our belief in God stems from the upbringing our parents and our society imparts in us.
Most believe in God because they were taught to believe.there seems no other way apart from that which they've been set upon.

I for one was born,raised and still christain in the catholic faith.all thru my growing years I was the epitome of a good religious girl.an altar girl,a lay reader & a chorister.I belonged to various associations such as legion of mary,e.t.c if u asked me then I'd have said I believed in God because it was the right thing to do.but as I grew up and as a naturally curios lady I began to ask question that no one had answers to.even the top religious leaders! Well consequently my faith kept dwindling until I was bordering on atheism.but my soul wasn't at rest.until I discovered science.and while some people see science as 'anti-god' I see the answers concerning God in science.
I do not believe in and have not witness 'wam-bam' miracles.but I believe the facts about God is manifest in his creation.
Seems like it's Catholics who are most susceptible to atheistic tendencies undecided

A typical example is the human body. The organisation and super intelligence behind every little process in the human body is something that couldn't just have come about by any theory man can propound.
Ok. But if the complexity of man's body is due to a higher intelligence, wouldn't this higher intelligence be more complex and thus be due to yet another higher intelligence?

I believe in God but I have so many questions left unanswered.I do not believe in any account of the theory of creation.(It raises many questions) and following the chronology and history of occurences from the bible,it's at logger heads with real scientific evidence of the real age of the earth.(I believe this might be the foundation of atheism.not sure tho)
Perhaps the theory of creation was not meant literally. Have you considered that possibility? Perhaps also, the Bible does not really offer chronological history or even literal history in some places. That's another possibility.

Now the question goes to you my friends.
Why do u believe in God?

Do you believe because you have to believe in something?
No

Do you believe because you'd feel lost if you thought there's no higher being watching over us?
Maybe, but not consciously

Do you believe because you don't want people frowning at you and calling you 'unbeliever'?
No

Or have you searched your heart?set aside the things u were thought in search of the truth and at the end come up with an unflinching resolve to believe because you've found the truth for yourself?
You could say that.

Do you ask yourself questions?
Generally

Do you ask others questions?
And do you wonder at all? At all of it?
Yup

Do you wonder the meaning and purpose of life?
I did.

Or do you just want to believe because you are afraid of upsetting the balance of your life in searching for the truth?

afraid of going too deep?
Nope

Let me know your minds please. smiley
Now you know
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Nobody: 12:36pm On Oct 08, 2013
lorretta u: This question goes to my fellow christains,our muslim brothers,our brothers in the traditional religion and all others with a belief in some supreme being.

For most of us(90%) our belief in God stems from the upbringing our parents and our society imparts in us.
Most believe in God because they were taught to believe.there seems no other way apart from that which they've been set upon.

I for one was born,raised and still christain in the catholic faith.all thru my growing years I was the epitome of a good religious girl.an altar girl,a lay reader & a chorister.I belonged to various associations such as legion of mary,e.t.c if u asked me then I'd have said I believed in God because it was the right thing to do.but as I grew up and as a naturally curios lady I began to ask question that no one had answers to.even the top religious leaders! Well consequently my faith kept dwindling until I was bordering on atheism.but my soul wasn't at rest.until I discovered science.and while some people see science as 'anti-god' I see the answers concerning God in science.
I do not believe in and have not witness 'wam-bam' miracles.but I believe the facts about God is manifest in his creation.
Seems like it's Catholics who are most susceptible to atheistic tendencies undecided

A typical example is the human body. The organisation and super intelligence behind every little process in the human body is something that couldn't just have come about by any theory man can propound.
Ok. But if the complexity of man's body is due to a higher intelligence, wouldn't this higher intelligence be more complex and thus be due to yet another higher intelligence?

I believe in God but I have so many questions left unanswered.I do not believe in any account of the theory of creation.(It raises many questions) and following the chronology and history of occurences from the bible,it's at logger heads with real scientific evidence of the real age of the earth.(I believe this might be the foundation of atheism.not sure tho)
Perhaps the theory of creation was not meant literally. Have you considered that possibility? Perhaps also, the Bible does not really offer chronological history or even literal history in some places. That's another possibility.

Now the question goes to you my friends.
Why do u believe in God?

Do you believe because you have to believe in something?
No

Do you believe because you'd feel lost if you thought there's no higher being watching over us?
Maybe, but not consciously

Do you believe because you don't want people frowning at you and calling you 'unbeliever'?
No

Or have you searched your heart?set aside the things u were thought in search of the truth and at the end come up with an unflinching resolve to believe because you've found the truth for yourself?
You could say that.

Do you ask yourself questions?
Generally

Do you ask others questions?
And do you wonder at all? At all of it?
Yup

Do you wonder the meaning and purpose of life?
I did.

Or do you just want to believe because you are afraid of upsetting the balance of your life in searching for the truth?

afraid of going too deep?
Nope

Let me know your minds please. smiley
Now you know

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

The Four Types Of Fear I Faced on my journey To Atheism / 7 Keys To Wealth And Greatness For Christians / Happy Birthday To Bishop David Oyedepo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.