Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,750 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:09 AM

UNPRECEDENTED: Kaduna – Ikot Ekpene Rail Line To Start Operation... Is this True - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / UNPRECEDENTED: Kaduna – Ikot Ekpene Rail Line To Start Operation... Is this True (2219 Views)

Still On The Lagos-Calabar Rail Line Controversy - Excerpt From Thisdaylive / Akpabio Commissions Four Points By Sheraton Ikot Ekpene / Abuja-kaduna Rail Line Will Be Completed And Handed Over In December (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

UNPRECEDENTED: Kaduna – Ikot Ekpene Rail Line To Start Operation... Is this True by kmariko: 8:04am On Sep 10, 2013
[b][/b]UNPRECEDENTED: Kaduna – Ikot Ekpene Rail Line To Start Operation

POSTED BY TRANSFORMATIONWATCH ⋅ SEPTEMBER 9, 2013 ⋅

The Modern (Rail-Trackstandard gauge) rail line linking Kaduna – Ikot Ekpene will start commercial operation soonest as work on the project is almost completed by the contractors.

The Contractors are working round the clock to beat the deadline given to them by the President. The Rail line, links Ikot Ekpene, Umuahia, Enugu, Oturkpo, Makurdi, Lafia, Jos and Kaduna.

As part of its strategic plans for the development of rail infrastructure in Nigeria, the Federal Government has developed a comprehensive master plan for high speed rail across the federation.

The government had in its vision 20:20-20, through which it plans to launch the country into the league of one of the most 20 developed economies of the world come year 2020, said it is committed to the development of transport infrastructure, which it described as catalyst for the development of any economy.

Under the new master plan, which is part of 25-year development project for the rail system in the country covering the rehabilitation of the existing narrow gauge and construction of modern standard gauge, the government intends to run a sixstructure plan for the high speed rail lines covering the length and breadth of the nation.

The six–structure rail system comprises of the Eagle Line, which covers the high sped line from Lagos – Oshogbo-Abuja- Gombe and then down to Maiduguri while the Southern Line starts from Enugu-Benin City- Ikeja Lagos down to Cotonou in the Republic of Benin.

The River Line passes through Katsina-Kano-Kaduna-Abuja and terminates in Port Harcourt while the Eastern Line takes off from Kaduna-Jos-Makurdi and terminates at Ikot Ekpene. Similarly, the Delta Line covers Ibadan-Benin City-Port Harcourt and terminates in Calabar, the Cross River State capital while the Northern Line covers Sokoto-Kano-Maiduguri and terminates at N’Djamena, the Republic of Niger.

Deputy Director, Public Relations unit of the Nigerian Railway Corporation NRC, Mr. David Ndakotsu, who confirmed the development in a telephone interview, disclosed that the high speed rail project is the 4th phase of the Federal Government’s rail development project.

According to him, the government had before now concluded the first phase of the rail development and rehabilitation project, which includes the rehabilitation of most of the narrow gauge lines, which has also been concluded.

He also disclosed that the government is currently on the second phase of the 25-year development project, most of which comprise of the development of standard and modern gauge, which will be followed by the third phase, which covers strictly the standard gauge rail lines and to be followed by the fourth phase, which covers the high speed rail systems.

Minister of Transport, Mallam Idris Umar had during a ministerial media briefing on the midterm performance of the current administration, hinted that the government has done over 90 per cent of the rehabilitation of the entire existing narrow gauge lines spread across the country, most of which are at various stages of completion.

- See more at: http://nigeriannewspapers.disnaija.com/national-mirror-online/fg-develops-high-speed-rail-master-plan/#sthash.SOi9QfYj.dpuf
http://transformationwatch.com/2013/09/09/unprecedented-kaduna-ikot-ekpene-rail-line-to-start-operation/
Share this:
Re: UNPRECEDENTED: Kaduna – Ikot Ekpene Rail Line To Start Operation... Is this True by kmariko: 8:05am On Sep 10, 2013
Does anyone have more information on this development.,., if you do please share the much you know.,.,Thanks and have a great day
Re: UNPRECEDENTED: Kaduna – Ikot Ekpene Rail Line To Start Operation... Is this True by stebell(m): 8:21am On Sep 10, 2013
kmariko: Does anyone have more information on this development.,., if you do please share the much you know.,.,Thanks and have a great day
I really don't kno much. All I kno is dat since de beginning of dis year, I keep seeing trailers loaded wit rail lines materials at de Port Harcourt terminal here @ Station Bustop. As I speak, some of de trailers hav not offloaded. I tried loading pix but cudnt. My point is dat the #Fresh Air# is really blowing in all directions of de country.
Re: UNPRECEDENTED: Kaduna – Ikot Ekpene Rail Line To Start Operation... Is this True by Nobody: 8:22am On Sep 10, 2013
I think the article is confusing issues. What I know is the eastern narrow guage railway rehabilitation which maybe completed before the end of the year.
Re: UNPRECEDENTED: Kaduna – Ikot Ekpene Rail Line To Start Operation... Is this True by Rossikk(m): 8:32am On Sep 10, 2013
Fresh Air Inc.
Re: UNPRECEDENTED: Kaduna – Ikot Ekpene Rail Line To Start Operation... Is this True by kmariko: 8:41am On Sep 10, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: I think the article is confusing issues. What I know is the eastern narrow guage railway rehabilitation which maybe completed before the end of the year.

But the narrow guage terminates at PH but this one is standard and terminates at Ikot Ekpene Akwa -Ibom, thats why it would really be nice to confirm it.
Re: UNPRECEDENTED: Kaduna – Ikot Ekpene Rail Line To Start Operation... Is this True by Nobody: 9:06am On Sep 10, 2013
@Transformation and fresh air team, please kindly confirm this story. We need to openly engage the opposition maturely with facts and figures of GEJ unprecedented record as the President of this nation. The campaign for 2015 has unofficially started and we must be seen to be matured in our presentation of the GEJ achievement and how it would directly and indirectly affect the masses. This is the only way to silence the oppositions and unnecessary haters of Jonathan...The reason is,only the masses will decide GEJ fate and not those who have sworn in a shrine to their Godfathers to bring the President down no matter his positive impact on the nation

2 Likes

Re: UNPRECEDENTED: Kaduna – Ikot Ekpene Rail Line To Start Operation... Is this True by rooftech: 9:09am On Sep 10, 2013
propaganda of a failed regime

1 Like

Re: UNPRECEDENTED: Kaduna – Ikot Ekpene Rail Line To Start Operation... Is this True by naptu2: 9:17am On Sep 10, 2013
Re: UNPRECEDENTED: Kaduna – Ikot Ekpene Rail Line To Start Operation... Is this True by bobthebuilder99(m): 9:24am On Sep 10, 2013
When it is completed why don't you tell us. The Lagos - Kano "high speed" grin rail line travels at the same speed as a horse. Sincere9gerian will confirm it. I wish I was joking.

Rubbish!
Re: UNPRECEDENTED: Kaduna – Ikot Ekpene Rail Line To Start Operation... Is this True by Nonybb: 9:34am On Sep 10, 2013
Wat we needed is a fast-moving rail system that can cover like 100Km run way in few seconds
Re: UNPRECEDENTED: Kaduna – Ikot Ekpene Rail Line To Start Operation... Is this True by taharqa: 10:00am On Sep 10, 2013
This is not correct.....
Re: UNPRECEDENTED: Kaduna – Ikot Ekpene Rail Line To Start Operation... Is this True by naptu2: 10:05am On Sep 10, 2013
taharqa: This is not correct.....

I think it's possible to figure out what happened if you look at the diagram that I posted. I suspect that the authors mistook the narrow gauge Eastern Line for the standard gauge Eastern Line.
Re: UNPRECEDENTED: Kaduna – Ikot Ekpene Rail Line To Start Operation... Is this True by taharqa: 10:15am On Sep 10, 2013
naptu2:

I think it's possible to figure out what happened if you look at the diagram that I posted. I suspect that the authors mistook the narrow gauge Eastern Line for the standard gauge Eastern Line.
Okay, maybe... But does d narrow Eastern Line extend to Ikot-Ekpene??
Re: UNPRECEDENTED: Kaduna – Ikot Ekpene Rail Line To Start Operation... Is this True by naptu2: 10:52am On Sep 10, 2013
taharqa: Okay, maybe... But does d narrow Eastern Line extend to Ikot-Ekpene??
An extension that would pass through Ikot-Epene is planned, but to the best of my knowledge it has not been laid yet.
Re: UNPRECEDENTED: Kaduna – Ikot Ekpene Rail Line To Start Operation... Is this True by Nobody: 10:53am On Sep 10, 2013
Ikot-epene rail, am hearing dis 4 d 1st tym, abeg na lie, d terminal of d eastern line is ph, I hv been in umuahia 4 a yl nw.
Re: UNPRECEDENTED: Kaduna – Ikot Ekpene Rail Line To Start Operation... Is this True by DaLover(m): 11:00am On Sep 10, 2013
I wonder weather wishing for high speed rail line under 2 years of GEJs government have brains at all, r they aware of the cost implications of what they are asking for?
Re: UNPRECEDENTED: Kaduna – Ikot Ekpene Rail Line To Start Operation... Is this True by awodman: 11:42am On Sep 10, 2013
Have never heard of this Kaduna-Ikot Ekpene rail line..whether about plans to construct or if construction has started already..

This doesn't just add up...anybody with a better info should please educate us...
Re: UNPRECEDENTED: Kaduna – Ikot Ekpene Rail Line To Start Operation... Is this True by naptu2: 12:02pm On Sep 10, 2013
awodman: Have never heard of this Kaduna-Ikot Ekpene rail line..whether about plans to construct or if construction has started already..

This doesn't just add up...anybody with a better info should please educate us...

(I'm currently working on a thread that will answer all these questions, so I'll try to reply without giving too much away).

There's a proposal to construct a high speed rail network in Nigeria. This proposal has existed for some time now. The first line in that network is the Lagos-Abuja line. One of the lines in that network is the Eastern Line (Kaduna-Ikot Epene). See diagram above.

Anyway, remember that the first line that's scheduled to be completed is the Lagos-Abuja line, so the Kaduna-Ikot Epene standard gauge high speed line has certainly not been done yet.
Re: UNPRECEDENTED: Kaduna – Ikot Ekpene Rail Line To Start Operation... Is this True by dridowu: 12:27pm On Sep 10, 2013
All eyez on me 8-)
Re: UNPRECEDENTED: Kaduna – Ikot Ekpene Rail Line To Start Operation... Is this True by princenonny(m): 3:04pm On Sep 10, 2013
Goodluck is working. Haters are talking. Gej continue ur milestone achievements!!!!!!
Re: UNPRECEDENTED: Kaduna – Ikot Ekpene Rail Line To Start Operation... Is this True by awodman: 6:33pm On Sep 10, 2013
From the info I sourced from the Transport minister's presentation at the ministerial platform..I can say without fear of equivocation that this rail line does not exist...even in the planning stages
Re: UNPRECEDENTED: Kaduna – Ikot Ekpene Rail Line To Start Operation... Is this True by agbameta: 6:45pm On Sep 10, 2013
Phantom and internet projects...smh..
Re: UNPRECEDENTED: Kaduna – Ikot Ekpene Rail Line To Start Operation... Is this True by ujoinme: 6:52pm On Sep 10, 2013
@ op wake up from your dream lol, consult this thread that i posted sometime ago and you will find the comprehensive diagram showcasing the Nigerian high speed master plan. click on the link above the said map to see a larger image with expected completion dates.
https://www.nairaland.com/1414626/nigerian-high-speed-rail-journey

The only part of the plan that is currently under construction is the Abuja - Kaduna line.

There is a plan to connect Ikot ekpene as with several other cities/towns in nigeria so your dream is not totally baseless but implementation/construction has not began in earnest.
Hope that answers your ?
Re: UNPRECEDENTED: Kaduna – Ikot Ekpene Rail Line To Start Operation... Is this True by omanzo02: 7:07pm On Sep 10, 2013
DaLover: I wonder weather wishing for high speed rail line under 2 years of GEJs government have brains at all, r they aware of the cost implications of what they are asking for?

They think high speed train is locomotive technology/science, even those diasporans who are clamouring for one haven't been in one before talkingless of understanding the complex technology/science behind it, if the track we have now can withstand 120km/h speed then its still very much useful.

Beside we need to embark on vigorous fencing off the rail tracks from unnecessary trespasses and enact strict measures to avoid regular accident because a train can't travel faster with people littered all about the track, doing that with a fast train is pure suicide.
Re: UNPRECEDENTED: Kaduna – Ikot Ekpene Rail Line To Start Operation... Is this True by ujoinme: 7:09pm On Sep 10, 2013
760 km of rail track running from Kaduna - ikot ekpene will not pass the interest of millions of nigerians residing in the cities that the track traverses
The track is suppose to pass through jos-lafia-makurdi-otukpo-enugu-umuahia-ikot ekpene. there are millions of nigerians within that area, a project of that magnitude will not escape their interest.

As much as i would like this to be true, but i think the sources got it wrong.
Re: UNPRECEDENTED: Kaduna – Ikot Ekpene Rail Line To Start Operation... Is this True by Nobody: 8:46pm On Sep 10, 2013
work has not reached makurdi to d best of my knowledge and i live in d town
Re: UNPRECEDENTED: Kaduna – Ikot Ekpene Rail Line To Start Operation... Is this True by naptu2: 8:53pm On Sep 10, 2013
This morning I saw a few sources with this same story, but no major news source has it.

Here's what I think happened. The narrow gauge Eastern Line was completed a few weeks ago. Commercial services will soon begin on that line. I believe that some people confused the narrow gauge Eastern Line with the standard gauge Eastern Line.

(1) (Reply)

Meet Nigeria's Supreme Court Justices / Advanced Heart Procedures Come To Ibadan. Pics.. / Prophecy On Popes Kidnap By T.B. Joshua

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.