Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,907 members, 7,821,147 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:59 AM

Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence (17836 Views)

Ocholi's Driver Had No Driver's Licence - FRSC / Kabir Akingbolu: Lawyer Sues Buhari Over Failure To Tackle Fuel Shortage / Lawyer Sues Buhari, APC, INEC Over Certificate Declaration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by GeneralJ(m): 2:46am On Sep 12, 2013
s
Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by Mustay(m): 2:52am On Sep 12, 2013
jidsoon: A lawyer with a Lagos-based legal firm, Tope Alabi and Co, located on 77B, Mobolaji Bank Anthony Way, Ikeja, Lagos, western Nigeria, has dragged the Federal Road Safety Commission, FRSC, to court over the new driver’s licence and number plate introduced by the Federal Government.

According to the motion on notice and motion ex-parte made available to P.M.NEWS by the lawyer, Tope Alabi, the court is to determine whether the National Assembly, as the first defendant, has power to legislate on the production and issuance of driver’s licence and number plate under section 4 of the 1999Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria as amended.

The plaintiff are also seeking a declaration that the defendants whether by themselves, agents or privies whatsoever or howsover described lack the powers in cracking down on those still using the existing registered number plates on their registered vehicles; and an order of perpectual injuction restraining the defendants whether by themselves, agents or privies whatsoever or howsover described from cracking down on those still using valid driver’s licences pending the time within which same will expire and due for renewal.

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2013/09/11/lawyer-sues-frsc-over-new-drivers-licence/

Lol Tope Alabi! cool

Until there's a perpetual injuction, I won't celebrate. I don't understand why our fellow citizens are very inconsiderate. Methinks Nigerians themselves have not put enough pressure on their representatives in the House to stop this nonsense just the way they were so passionate about #childMarriage ish.

Yesterday when Osita Chidoka was speaking, it was very evident that the licensing was something they didn't test-run before launching. They are using Nigerians to be doing 'I.T. projects' and making us pay for such inconveniences and lapses that is none of their business.

Yeah, he says they want to have a record and database. He says the security feature can be seen with laser but why FORCE everyone to change

If this trend isn't curbed, Nigerians would continue paying:
FRSC Licences
Yellow Card renewal
Police BCMR. . .am waiting for the next one.
Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by kabba7(m): 3:45am On Sep 12, 2013
This. Is a big minus for Jonathan he behave. ℓi̶̲̥̅ke̶̲̥̅ someobe using the third night in police. He is very confused
Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by osheefeterry: 3:47am On Sep 12, 2013
The country is going down day by day,the gov should think of doing good things not plate number pls Pls pls
Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by talk2s(m): 4:16am On Sep 12, 2013
All of U that are praising the lawyer and commending this bid should go back and like that post.
Shekinah!
Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by TonySpike: 4:25am On Sep 12, 2013
Honestly, in a proper democratic setting, issuance of plate numbers is not the job of the Federal Government but that of the state/provincial/regional governments. The job of the FG relates only to specifying standards - design and production should solely be a state government's job.

The FG is wielding too much unnecessary power through that 'proxy' and 'biased' constitution. That constitution was never written and agreed by the people. It's high time a referendum is called for to promote a new, people-friendly, region-centric and economic resource autonomy constitution!!!

1 Like

Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by nuges1(m): 4:36am On Sep 12, 2013
Nice 1!
jidsoon: A lawyer with a Lagos-based legal firm, Tope Alabi and Co, located on 77B, Mobolaji Bank Anthony Way, Ikeja, Lagos, western Nigeria, has dragged the Federal Road Safety Commission, FRSC, to court over the new driver’s licence and number plate introduced by the Federal Government.

Joined in the suit filed at the Federal High Court in Lagos on 9 September are the National Assembly and the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Justice Alooma Mukhtar.

According to the motion on notice and motion ex-parte made available to P.M.NEWS by the lawyer, Tope Alabi, the court is to determine whether the National Assembly, as the first defendant, has power to legislate on the production and issuance of driver’s licence and number plate under section 4 of the 1999Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria as amended.

Also, the court is to determine whether the provisions of the FRSC Act that empower it to produce and issue number plate and driver’s licence are not inconsistent with the provision of section 4 of the Constitution; and whether the defendants along with their agents, servants or privies are right in directing the registered vehicle owners including the plaintiff to re-register when the existing registration is valid and subsisting.

The plaintiff also wants the court to determine whether the defendants along with their agents, servants or privies are right in directing the holders of valid driver’s licences and number plates, including the plaintiff, to renew same when the existing driver’s licences have not expired.

Among the reliefs claimed by the plaintiff are: A declaration that the defendant, the FRSC, lacks the powers to legislate on the issuance of number plate and driver’s licence under section 4 of the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 2011; a declaration that by virue of the provisions of section 4 and 5 of the 2011 constitution of Nigeria, the production and issuance of number plate and driver’s licence is a residual matter within the exclusive legislative and executive competence of the states.

The plaintiff are also seeking a declaration that the defendants whether by themselves, agents or privies whatsoever or howsover described lack the powers in cracking down on those still using the existing registered number plates on their registered vehicles; and an order of perpectual injuction restraining the defendants whether by themselves, agents or privies whatsoever or howsover described from cracking down on those still using valid driver’s licences pending the time within which same will expire and due for renewal.

While speaking with our reporter, Alabi said FRSC’s claim that one of the reasons for the introduction of a new number plate and driver’s licence is because the old number plate and driver’s licence are easily forged is baseless.

The plaintiff opined that some fraudsters were caught recently with a large number of the fake new number plates and driver’s licence.

—Bamidele Olowosagba

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2013/09/11/lawyer-sues-frsc-over-new-drivers-licence/
Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by Exponental(m): 5:21am On Sep 12, 2013
Where has this lawyer been all this while? Even if he wins d case, it's likely after October 1. Nigerians would have given up their old plates n d case would be baseless.
Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by Mustay(m): 5:51am On Sep 12, 2013
talk2s: All of U that are praising the lawyer and commending this bid should go back and like that post.
Shekinah!

To serve Nigeria like a post is not by force!

"annoying things Nigerians do on the internet"
Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by KriTic24A: 5:55am On Sep 12, 2013
Mustay:

Lol Tope Alabi! cool

Until there's a perpetual injuction, I won't celebrate. I don't understand why our fellow citizens are very inconsiderate. Methinks Nigerians themselves have not put enough pressure on their representatives in the House to stop this nonsense just the way they were so passionate about #childMarriage ish.

Yesterday when Osita Chidoka was speaking, it was very evident that the licensing was something they didn't test-run before launching. They are using Nigerians to be doing 'I.T. projects' and making us pay for such inconveniences and lapses that is none of their business.

Yeah, he says they want to have a record and database. He says the security feature can be seen with laser but why FORCE everyone to change

If this trend isn't curbed, Nigerians would continue paying:
FRSC Licences
Yellow Card renewal
Police BCMR. . .am waiting for the next one.

I have been thinking seriously about this road safety people since the introduction of the second driver’s licence. (1993)
Before the advent of FRSC in Nigeria, you can run a valid license booklet for upward of 20years, because of renewal option of between 1 to 3 years. I used mine from 1980 to 1992 (and this can be renewed at ANY LOCAL GOVERNMENT in Nigeria despite it’s being paper-work) when they introduced the first so-called fool-proof or is it water-proof they call it.
But since the advent of RS, whose primary role is to ensure the safety of road users, now in charge, everything has gone haywire.
RS in about 25yrs in existence is having the fifth attempt at introducing another driver’s licence.

Each time they introduce a new one, they tell us it can’t be forged. We all know the out-come today.
Who are the importers of fake driver’s licence machine? You or me or FAKE FRSC?
Same thing goes for new number plates.
Where were their ‘think- tanks’ when they were brain-storming for a new number plate the first time for not including security features and data capture they now bandied around?
To me FRSC has lost focus. Sometime around 2008, we read that they were given some millions of Naira to procure road signs and all that, which to some extent, they did.
But today, can you find road sign anywhere in Lagos except few ones warning of Okada’s restriction and one-way traffic.
What is the road safety doing about accidents that has continued to escalate on our highways with the attendant high casualties?
FRSC simply wait for accidents to happen and go there to ‘rescue’ survivors.
NLs, what is really the function of FRSC vis -a -vis generating revenue or preventing accident on our road?

5 Likes

Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by olanB: 6:04am On Sep 12, 2013
Barr tope alabi I salute ur courage I think naija need people like you to help put some things To check because PDP want to win election by all means all the government parastater must contribute there own quarter now police that dose not have a single computer in there offices now wanted to start registering cars naija where are we going
Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by Emchio: 6:16am On Sep 12, 2013
Confusionist: Where is the lawyer that sued Oyedepo for being a tout?

Or the kenyan lawyer who sued the killers of Jesus!

Where is the lawyer who sued Lagos state for what he termed, 'unlawful deportation' of the ibos?

Where is the one who sued the FG?

To me, I say lawyers are crazy son of a bee!!!
They shld all be treated for psychosis!!!

What's your point?

Paying for a new number plate last week still angers me; and the thought of being forced into paying for another driver’s licence, when the one I have is still valid, makes me sad the more.

Personally, I see no end to these kind of intimidation, if we can't defend and stand for what we believe in. I'm sure that word that begins with an "R" and ends with an "n" is fast approaching; they should be ready!!
Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by Osama10(m): 6:19am On Sep 12, 2013
The bottom line is that Nigeria JAGA JAGA everything SCATTER SCATTER.

This country has been given to the dogs.

1 Like

Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by nadis92(m): 6:23am On Sep 12, 2013

Where is the lawyer who sued Lagos state for what he termed, 'unlawful deportation' of the ibos?

u must be mad at lawyers?? Slow down with ur bitterness

2 Likes

Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by williams05(m): 6:24am On Sep 12, 2013
Osama10: The bottom line is that Nigeria JAGA JAGA everything SCATTER SCATTER.

This country has been given to the dogs.
na 2day u no say 9ja jaja jaja make u go sleep
Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by sayso: 6:39am On Sep 12, 2013
This is going to be war. how can those taxi drivers change theirs? the transport companies will increase fare to accommodate the expenses of new number plate. FRSC I feel like killing you guys on the highway.

1 Like

Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by Mustay(m): 6:48am On Sep 12, 2013
KriTic24_A++:

I have been thinking seriously about this road safety people since the introduction of the second driver’s licence. (1993)
Before the advent of FRSC in Nigeria, you can run a valid license booklet for upward of 20years, because of renewal option of between 1 to 3 years. I used mine from 1980 to 1992 (and this can be renewed at ANY LOCAL GOVERNMENT in Nigeria despite it’s being paper-work) when they introduced the first so-called fool-proof or is it water-proof they call it.
But since the advent of RS, whose primary role is to ensure the safety of road users, now in charge, everything has gone haywire.
RS in about 25yrs in existence is having the fifth attempt at introducing another driver’s licence.

Each time they introduce a new one, they tell us it can’t be forged. We all know the out-come today.
Who are the importers of fake driver’s licence machine? You or me or FAKE FRSC?
Same thing goes for new number plates.
Where were their ‘think- tanks’ when they were brain-storming for a new number plate the first time for not including security features and data capture they now bandied around?
To me FRSC has lost focus. Sometime around 2008, we read that they were given some millions of Naira to procure road signs and all that, which to some extent, they did.
But today, can you find road sign anywhere in Lagos except few ones warning of Okada’s restriction and one-way traffic.
What is the road safety doing about accidents that has continued to escalate on our highways with the attendant high casualties?
FRSC simply wait for accidents to happen and go there to ‘rescue’ survivors.
NLs, what is really the function of FRSC vis -a -vis generating revenue or preventing accident on our road?
Yesterday, Chidoka said they write to the Works Ministry, FERMA and other state agencies connected with roads for them to fix or install road signs where there are not. Some have called for the FRSC to be integrated into the NPF and I really think this is worth it - I mean, why can't they be a unit within Steve Orasanye's white paper may turn black after all; there are just too many MDAS in this country. People just want to be Head of this, head of that, director etc

Really, the average Nigerian goes through a tortuous experience when driving -
1. VIO
2. FRSC
3. Police (which also has Traffic Wardens)
4. Customs
5. LG officials with various types of school uniforms
6. LASTMA (and its likes in other states)
7. Bad roads
8. No lights on the road
9. No signs
I mean, what's everyone doing on the road duplicating duties It's really a mess

FRSC does have a point as regards our licences being able to be used anywhere in the world but whose fault is it Will the CBN keep changing Naira notes every 3 years because of fraudsters I would have supported them if they gave not this deadline - they gave us deadlines when they knew fully well that they had never done a project like this. I think PMP guys need to school them. Watching Mr. Chidoka say they're learning from their mistakes, they're not an ICT company bla bla bla made me smh. When he further stated that he also read about the Police BCMR on the pages of Newspapers, I just undecided

Bottom line, FRSC should be integrated into the NPF!

3 Likes

Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by PastorKun(m): 6:54am On Sep 12, 2013
Thank God someone has finally come out to challenge this monumental fraud being perpetuated against the citizens of this country by the federal govt and it's collaborators. There is absolutely no reason why we must change our license plates and driver's license and if there is, it must be done for a token price of not more than a thousand naira each. What govt is doing is daylight robbery and they must be stopped.

1 Like

Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by galadima77(m): 6:58am On Sep 12, 2013
many times I wonder if this is how countries are run in other parts of the world. Yet, they aren't ever ashamed of their failures...My heart goes to posterity, praying we get things right soonest before handing over to our children... for now, we kinda worse than a sinking ship.

1 Like

Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by andyanders: 7:09am On Sep 12, 2013

I pity people with low iq like you. So what he is fighting for is worthless?

You should stay among the animals. Your home should be in the zoo.

1 Like

Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by Nobody: 7:11am On Sep 12, 2013
Bought my own number from jos at 22k for everytin.
Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by sugardaddy1(m): 7:29am On Sep 12, 2013
Avila Projects: Oh Lord, heal our land and water. Every policies that would inflict pains and suffering over our land, be removed and scatter. Amen
We need action, not prayers.
Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by pekelepekele(m): 7:34am On Sep 12, 2013
God bless the Lawyer . Can you guys imagine ? New plate # and New drivers license but both are not cheap to get .

What a terrible country!!!
Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by fapcrook(m): 7:40am On Sep 12, 2013
Sometimes i feel bad bn a Nigeria, the govt is making d masses to suffer.
Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by maphed: 8:00am On Sep 12, 2013
igbsam: At last someone has voiced out. I just pray other prominent lawyers would join this man is pursuing the same cause. Afterall we Nigerians are used to saying, someone needs to start it first, then we will follow. Now someone has started it o...

Everybody else should follow suit

New plate number - N35, 000
New Driver's license - N15, 000
Police BCMR - N3, 500

Total - N53, 500

Just because somebody wants to make money, they want us to pay this outrageous amount because I dey drive car. Crazy nation.

Pls wats the police BCMR -3,500.Never heard of dat and dnt want to br caught wanting by those rogues! Pls throw more light
Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by collynzo2(m): 8:15am On Sep 12, 2013
When these people need money, they bring up one extortionist policy or the other and award the contract to their colleagues. I remember when they came up with that reflective sticker policy. People were forced to buy the rubbish at an exorbitant price and place it at the back of their cars. How many cars still have those stickers today? We need to start protesting some nonsense. Why not just issue the new drivers license to those whose licenses have expired until the old one is gradually phased out?
Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by MichaelSokoto(m): 8:19am On Sep 12, 2013
alpha conde: EverydAy I just wish the new drivers license and plate number could be canceled. I personally feel oppressed by these new policies. When am oppressed am depressed.
Did u vote 4 "fresh air"?
If u did, OKPARI!

Ur case af turned kompletely "HOPELESS", jez like dat undecided
Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by ibkgab001: 8:46am On Sep 12, 2013
It is well grin
Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by tunchi88(m): 8:58am On Sep 12, 2013
This is outrageous!!!we have bigger issues in our hands,and they are there devising a means to milk an average man..these hoodlums are suppose to be our servants not the other way round.how could they come up with such a wicked idea..they should tackle the issue of security,we have erosion burying some houses,lifes and properties are been lost,what kind of nation is this?are we moving forward,backward or are we just stagnant??these governments are our servants and thus;they must do what we ask them..why devising a means to amass wealth from a struggling man's pocket..they have billions of naira in there account and still want to collect a few thousands from the poor..what a perverse soceity..Wake up people!!its about time we hit the street and say no to this nonesense..enough is enough!!we shouldn't swallow anything that is been forced down our throats,Nigeria is yours,Nigeria is mine and it is ours..Just because they are in the corridors of power doesn't mean that they are better than us...without the masses,the government will starve to death!!say no to intimidation...say no to oppression..say no to corruption...Say no to FRSC and their cohorts...let's join hands and sanitise our nation because its ruin with filth....

1 Like

Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by Mustay(m): 9:07am On Sep 12, 2013
maphed:

Pls wats the police BCMR -3,500.Never heard of dat and dnt want to br caught wanting. Pls throw more light
https://www.nairaland.com/1433020/police-begin-biometric-registration-vehicles
Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by ozolity(m): 9:26am On Sep 12, 2013
Thank God for this man. Just pray he wins the case.
Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by fullblast(m): 10:07am On Sep 12, 2013
sayso: This is going to be war. how can those taxi drivers change theirs? the transport companies will increase fare to accommodate the expenses of new number plate. FRSC I feel like killing you guys on the highway.
. Exactly what is on my mind. From oct 1, i will start knocking n running dem down on highway. I encourage all who share my bitterness †φ join me †φ do same natiowide

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Onnoghen’s Conviction, Jihad Against Christians –NCEF / Omo-Agege, Manager win at Appeal Court / Boko Haram Attacks New Marte In Borno, Kills Soldiers And Civilians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.