Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,602 members, 7,816,497 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:02 PM

What's The Difference Between A Minister, Minister Of State and Perm Secretary? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What's The Difference Between A Minister, Minister Of State and Perm Secretary? (47756 Views)

Why Femi Falana Was Not Made A Minister - Sahara Reporters / Suggest A Portfolio For Babatunde Fashola As A Minister... / How Mark Ruled Ashafa Out Of Order And Approved Obanikoro As A Minister (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's The Difference Between A Minister, Minister Of State and Perm Secretary? by Nobody: 8:40pm On Nov 11, 2015
noleon22:
U are kidding right? Cos even in the almighty USA. There is Secretary of a department, which Nigeria calls a minister and an Under secretary which is the equivelant of a state Minister!!! So its not about 1st or 3rd world thing aiit!!

Don't mind them, they are so dull and will also reject every offer directed at enlightening them.
Re: What's The Difference Between A Minister, Minister Of State and Perm Secretary? by vickylala239: 8:44pm On Nov 11, 2015
dason4life:

Google usage is free. If you can quote me you can also you Google.

Google what?

I guess your from Zimbabwe, Cuz no Nigerian will say this

Re: What's The Difference Between A Minister, Minister Of State and Perm Secretary? by Nobody: 8:52pm On Nov 11, 2015
vickylala239:

Google what?

I guess your from Zimbabwe, Cuz no Nigerian will say this

Let me make it more simpler for you -
1. launch Google on your browser
2. Search for function of Minister (government)
3. Read till you fully understand.
4. Do the same for state Minister and permanent secretary.

Thank Me later
Re: What's The Difference Between A Minister, Minister Of State and Perm Secretary? by vickylala239: 9:04pm On Nov 11, 2015
dason4life:

Let me make it more simpler for you -
1. launch Google on your browser
2. Search for function of Minister (government)
3. Read till you fully understand.
4. Do the same for state Minister and permanent secretary.

Thank Me later

Minister in Nigeria means another thing on Google, that's Why that guy had to ask Nigerians.

He could have Google it,both book And reality sometime never the same.

Police in Nigeria also work as road safety, Google can't tell you that.

Army in Nigeria was used as election thugs in Nigeria,Google cnt tell you that.

This is Nigeria!!
Re: What's The Difference Between A Minister, Minister Of State and Perm Secretary? by barcaboi(m): 9:06pm On Nov 11, 2015
LordMecuzy:
Its just Two Same Office and Total Waste Of Manpower.

The 36 states In Nigeria Must Have Ministers, So We got No Option

Its Just Politics & Tribalism.

Nigeria A Third World Country Indeed
it is wrong. ......stop misleading people. ..minister of state is a deputy to d main Minister and for Perm Sec; if Minister is the president and state minister as deputy, Perm secs are the Senate president. ...the link btw minister and ministry
Re: What's The Difference Between A Minister, Minister Of State and Perm Secretary? by Rexnegro(m): 9:36pm On Nov 11, 2015
lookandlaff:

Nonsense!!!!

you are the internet generation, google is your friend make use of it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minister_of_State

"Nigeria: A Minister of State is a junior Minister in the Nigerian Cabinet and is normally the principal deputy or one of the deputies to the Minister in a Federal Ministry. The Minister of State may in some cases be the head of a special department in the President's Office. By law, both senior Ministers and Ministers of State are regarded as Ministers of the Government of the Federation."

By law, both senior Ministers and Ministers of State are regarded as Ministers of the Government of the Federation."[/quote]

na u now com be #NONSENSE ....u go quote wetin favor me...mumu
Re: What's The Difference Between A Minister, Minister Of State and Perm Secretary? by Nobody: 9:40pm On Nov 11, 2015
lookandlaff:

We are we so lazy mentally, can you not google it yourself, how do you know if the answer given you on Nairaland known for dull people is correct?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permanent_Secretary

Thank you anyways. I already knew about it even before the creation of the thread. My post was just an observation.

Thank you.
Re: What's The Difference Between A Minister, Minister Of State and Perm Secretary? by kokorodudu(f): 11:03pm On Nov 11, 2015
Is this a JAMB question?

Gorrbachev:
NL folks, Please What's the Difference Between a Minister, Minister of State and Permanent secretary? Who has more discretionary power (Superior) between a Minister and Minister of State?
Re: What's The Difference Between A Minister, Minister Of State and Perm Secretary? by Larrylarex(m): 6:51am On Nov 12, 2015
Symphony007:
The minister for state is the second in command in his/her ministry. I personally belive it is a waste of money because the perm sec can perform those duties......here is the iraki, Minister- minister for state-permanent secretary-directors.
hierarchy
Re: What's The Difference Between A Minister, Minister Of State and Perm Secretary? by Cossycute(f): 7:37am On Nov 12, 2015
t
Re: What's The Difference Between A Minister, Minister Of State and Perm Secretary? by Vide(m): 8:49am On Nov 12, 2015
Biko no one has really helped in explaining full, na wao!

Minister is a full political appointment and answerable to the President and or the People (Legislators)

Minister of State - This is you may call "Deputy Minister", "Assisting Minister", "Junior Minister" and or "Under Secretary of State". It is also a political appointment.

Permanent Secretary - This is the highest level of a Career Civil Servant in active service. Promotion normally gets you to Director's level but oftentimes Permanent Secretary is by appointment as well.
Re: What's The Difference Between A Minister, Minister Of State and Perm Secretary? by obynoses(m): 9:20am On Nov 12, 2015
A minister of state presides over the ministry as it concerns the 36 states in Nigeria. But a minister supervises all the entire ministries of Nigeria as a Federal entity. The minister for state works under the Minister. In other words, the minister gets reports from the minister of states before he swings into actions. Example: A minister for state for health goes down the tiers of government to check the excesses of the hospital admins on state hospitals in Nigeria while the Minister for health focuses mostly on Federal hospitals. Without Minister for states, the Governors can make policies to affect the citizens. But with it, the minister of states can intervene for the citizens of Nigeria in that state.
Re: What's The Difference Between A Minister, Minister Of State and Perm Secretary? by Nobody: 10:26am On Nov 12, 2015
obynoses:
A minister of state presides over the ministry as it concerns the 36 states in Nigeria. But a minister supervises all the entire ministries of Nigeria as a Federal entity. The minister for state works under the Minister. In other words, the minister gets reports from the minister of states before he swings into actions. Example: A minister for state for health goes down the tiers of government to check the excesses of the hospital admins on state hospitals in Nigeria while the Minister for health focuses mostly on Federal hospitals. Without Minister for states, the Governors can make policies to affect the citizens. But with it, the minister of states can intervene for the citizens of Nigeria in that state.

This is an example of the situation in Nigeria, where you set an examination, give a Nigerian the answers to the questions and he still manages to fill in the wrong answers.

This post is an example of why despite millions of unemployed graduates, artisans etc, to get a job done well we still have to import workers from Togo and Cotonou and 3rd rate expatriates from Sri lanka and beyond....
Re: What's The Difference Between A Minister, Minister Of State and Perm Secretary? by kemjoe: 11:14am On Nov 12, 2015
Amenooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Mustay:
Another unnecessary duplication of offices - they're more like Governors and deputies. Most times, there's no synergy between the two but they have to 'manage' themselves. In the usual 'federal character' nonsense, if the Minister is from one geo-political zone, the Minister of State is from another.

This article sums it up for me:

True, Wike and Rufai showed how synergy was amiss in their Ministry.

O God of Creation;
Direct our noble cause;
Guide our leaders right
embarassed
Re: What's The Difference Between A Minister, Minister Of State and Perm Secretary? by driand(m): 12:00pm On Nov 12, 2015
LordMecuzy:
Its just Two Same Office and Total Waste Of Manpower.

The 36 states In Nigeria Must Have Ministers, So We got No Option

Its Just Politics & Tribalism.

Nigeria A Third World Country Indeed
you speak like u're paid, bro..
Re: What's The Difference Between A Minister, Minister Of State and Perm Secretary? by clintwine(m): 2:50pm On Nov 12, 2015
Look at it this way:
1) We have a stupid constitutional law that says that we need a minister from every state, even though this is waste of resources, but to appease every state and give the illusion of inclusion
2)We have a lot of poverty and low mental capability where even when the masses know that they wouldn't gain anything personally from one man from their state being a minister, they are cajoled and indoctrinated to cause chaos if they don't have their so called son as a minister
3) What this means is that you have 36 minsters with 36 ministries with a lot of over head and duplication of efforts, a lot of the workers not even turning up to work yet we are paying a lot.
4) Now a sensible way to handle this is to make these ministers but some as minister of state and assist the main minister -- think of it as Group Managing Director and Assistant Group Director, and cut down these ministries and duplication of efforts and waste of money employing people with low productivity
5) Now the Permanent Secretaries are like the MD's of each company under a group, so they report to the GMD and Assistant GD. The Permanent Secretaries actually run these companies, but the ministers determine the direction they take

Hope I have answered your question

Need a Modern Website, I can build one for you .. www.clintwine.com
Re: What's The Difference Between A Minister, Minister Of State and Perm Secretary? by lilioj: 7:08pm On Aug 21, 2023
After watching inauguration today, I needed to know this!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

IPOB Kills 1, Pastes Sit-At-Home On His Body In Anambra / Patience Ignores Protocol & Exchanged Pleasantries Before Jonathan / Nigeria: Developed, Developing, Or Underdeveloped Country?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.