Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,120 members, 7,814,931 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:59 PM

Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? (16161 Views)

Victor Moses Featured In Galaxy 11 Team To Represent Earth With Ronaldo & Messi / Nigerian Players That Deserve Super Eagles Call-up / Top 10 Nigerian Players Of 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by InvertedHammer: 4:17pm On Sep 13, 2013

You should have asked if those players can locate Nigeria in a map?

I don't want to talk about speaking/understanding native language b/c that will be too much to ask.

By the way, why shouldn't NFF build a local team? Must we look outside for the solutions to every little problem including but not
limited to players, freaking toothpicks to fachaa eze after nkwobi.

Or is embezzlement the only thing that works in that God-forsaken NFF office?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by Freiburger(m): 4:18pm On Sep 13, 2013
AjanleKoko: OP,
Call police for them grin angry
grin grin
Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by papil: 4:20pm On Sep 13, 2013
omar22: Getting those players to pay egunje will be like squeezing blood out of a stone
U̶̲̥̅̊ get sense, U̶̲̥̅̊ understand the terrain.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by pheesayor(m): 4:21pm On Sep 13, 2013
ayobase: The other day someone's mother hope was dashed when trying to make things work out for her son to play for the Super Eagle.

No be age matter cause wahala then!

Most of these guys would love to play, but politics has eaten deep into the the root!
bolded is true, my cousin Belgium based Marvin Ogunjimi wanted to play for Nigeria in 2010 but Lagerback and nff didn't look his way (was interviewed by brila fm) now he has started playing for Belgian national team
Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by purplebrown: 4:23pm On Sep 13, 2013
vladimiros: the fact they were born abroad to Nigerian parents does not mean they have to feel Nigerian

jesus its very obvious
exactly, well put.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by Theben(m): 4:23pm On Sep 13, 2013
The aforementioned players are by no means better than the current crop of Super eagles. We do not need them. They are not even good enough to represent their adopted countries. If you ask me, I would say it's good riddance.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:24pm On Sep 13, 2013
Imagine this;

You struggled to rise to where Ɣõu̶̲̥̅̊' are via hard work, sweet or even pain to ϐε̲̣̣̣̥ a noticeable player.
You are finally discovered by a club over-sees and Ɣõu̶̲̥̅̊ continue ur rise there, being paid over N60 millon Naira per week, at times insurance covering Ɣõu̶̲̥̅̊.

THEN, your Naija calls Ɣõu̶̲̥̅̊ up to play for them when;
1) You are paid little stipend I.e two million Naira per match for all the efforts Ɣõu̶̲̥̅̊ make
2) No insurance for ur leg or health
3) You are yet to ϐε̲̣̣̣̥ paid the previous debt NFA owes you
4) You are not assured of compensation (as other countries do. E.g Brazil) when you have serious injury that prevents you from making your 60 million Naira per week.
You need examples undecided
~Dosu Joseph
~ Samuel Okparaji (who's wife of resent complained bittally of neglect)
~ Emanuel amunike
~ Rashidi Yekini Etc

Need I say more?

Sometimes ♍¥ bro, the pain just does'nt worth it for them.

I rest ♍¥ case! lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by ow11(m): 4:24pm On Sep 13, 2013
Ikenna94: It is a known Factor that many football players of Nigeria origin have been refusing the opportunity to play for Nigeria, whereas they will even beg to play for Foreign Countries for free.

The Likes of Gabby Agbonlahor, Dennis Aogo, Carlton Okorie Cole, David Alaba, Patrick Owomoyela, Sydney Sam, Ross Barkley, Nathan Delfuenso, Ikechi Anya, Nedum Onuoha, and Leon Balogun are few examples of the players that turned down what should have been a Great Priviledge to Represent their Country of Birth ie the Fatherland.

I am thinking they did as they represented their country of birth. I am not sure it is fair to call them unpatriotic as each case should be individually judged.

These guys were taught and raised to play football in their country of birth which in some cases is the country of their mother and in other extreme cases (Ross Barkley) never really knew their father.

People like Sidney Sam are the unfair ones, flirting with Nigeria to get a German call-up.

The problem with nationalistic people like you in this increasing global world is the definition of ones origins or in Nigeria, one's ethnic group. The ease of migration and inter marriage has thrown up a lot of new issues that a simple Nigerian surname does not mean said fellow is Nigerian.

Like someone earlier said, Alaba doesn't speak English like our friend Sidney Sam. They do not understand the Nigerian culture and for all intents and purposes are not even Nigerians bar their surname. They do not even play football like Nigerians and who knows may actually disrupt team harmony. Victor Moses grew up in Nigeria and lived amongst Nigerians in London and understands Nigeria unlike Alaba, Sam or Barkley that would be literally out of place in the Super Eagles dressing room.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by vladimiros: 4:24pm On Sep 13, 2013
udifrancis:

Why must you call them rubbish?

have you watched Amoebi in Newscatle for the past 2 years

proper rubbish, only reason he is still around is cuz he is a geordie
Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by esbjaygmailco(m): 4:26pm On Sep 13, 2013
politicalpastor: @ op. your number 1 reason doesn't make sense, must a child take care of their parent because they gave birth to them only?
a parent that abandoned their child can not and never be respected by the children. so players should not play for a country that refuse to support their dreams.

this politicapastor na mumu, is it a must u quote the write up?.forcing me to quote What u quoted,turning me to no 1mumu . grin
politicalpastor: @ op. your number 1 reason doesn't make sense, must a child take care of their parent because they gave birth to them only?
a parent that abandoned their child can not and never be respected by the children. so players should not play for a country that refuse to support their dreams.

this politicapastor na mumu, is it a must u quote the write up?.forcing me to quote What u quoted,turning me to no 1mumu .
Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by zynzyn(m): 4:31pm On Sep 13, 2013
Too many fears, not good enough prospects. We are not yet serious enough about our sports in general.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by Chillypelly(m): 4:34pm On Sep 13, 2013
pheesayor:
bolded is true, my cousin Belgium based Marvin Ogunjimi wanted to play for Nigeria in 2010 but Lagerback and nff didn't look his way (was interviewed by brila fm) now he has started playing for Belgian national team

You just reminded me of my sad past. I presented myself for selection into the Nigerian team but the played politics with my skills. I now play for the Syrian national team.

#¤¤Sad¤¤# ***walks away with my arab Babe***

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by rooney07: 4:35pm On Sep 13, 2013
I do not blame them for not wanting to play for Nigeria. Let me list some of the problems NFF have-
1. Mis-management of the game.
2.NFF are so corrupt they do not plan for the future all they think about is their pocket.
3.When this players come to play for their country its tug of war for them to get their ticket money like its done in other countries.
4.No insurance for the players when they get injured playing for their country. i.e the country is suppose to compensate the clubs if they get injured playing for their country.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:41pm On Sep 13, 2013
Personally, it has more to do with Nigeria not valuing Nigerian talents abroad. If you want them to play for Nigeria, you have to catch them young and give them the opportunity to represent Nigeria. However, Nigeria is too corrupt to allow that. Rather they would use over-aged cheats.

There are many stories of kids born abroad contacting naija FA about representing the country, but they were turned down. We can cite Alaba, Aogo, Onuoha etc.. Chuks Aneke's father also contacted the naija FA, however, he's yet to be invited to play for Nigeria.

Heck, Danny Shittu's mum had to literally force him on Nigeria before he was selected. Ain't no one got time for that. undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:43pm On Sep 13, 2013
@OP Don't you think asking the players this question would be better rather than asking us here?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 4:46pm On Sep 13, 2013
Pretty sure there are more than enough Nigerian-born Nigerians, who can play for the national team. Abi?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by Ikenna94: 4:48pm On Sep 13, 2013
maishot: Imagine this;

You struggled to rise to where Ɣõu̶̲̥̅̊' are via hard work, sweet or even pain to ϐε̲̣̣̣̥ a noticeable player.
You are finally discovered by a club over-sees and Ɣõu̶̲̥̅̊ continue ur rise there, being paid over N60 millon Naira per week, at times insurance covering Ɣõu̶̲̥̅̊.

THEN, your Naija calls Ɣõu̶̲̥̅̊ up to play for them when;
1) You are paid little stipend I.e two million Naira per match for all the efforts Ɣõu̶̲̥̅̊ make
2) No insurance for ur leg or health
3) You are yet to ϐε̲̣̣̣̥ paid the previous debt NFA owes you
4) You are not assured of compensation (as other countries do. E.g Brazil) when you have serious injury that prevents you from making your 60 million Naira per week.
You need examples undecided
~Dosu Joseph
~ Samuel Okparaji (who's wife of resent complained bittally of neglect)
~ Emanuel amunike
~ Rashidi Yekini Etc

Need I say more?

Sometimes ♍¥ bro, the pain just does'nt worth it for them.

I rest ♍¥ case! lipsrsealed
under Fifa rules, a players parent club is to take care of the player's injury treatment even though it happened during His national team games.again There is no pension in football world wide
Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by MrMac10(m): 4:53pm On Sep 13, 2013
In a country of 130 million men (Males only) i dont see the reason we will beg foreign nigerians to represent Naija in footie
Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by Ikenna94: 4:56pm On Sep 13, 2013
ow11:

I am thinking they did as they represented their country of birth. I am not sure it is fair to call them unpatriotic as each case should be individually judged.

These guys were taught and raised to play football in their country of birth which in some cases is the country of their mother and in other extreme cases (Ross Barkley) never really knew their father.

People like Sidney Sam are the unfair ones, flirting with Nigeria to get a German call-up.

The problem with nationalistic people like you in this increasing global world is the definition of ones origins or in Nigeria, one's ethnic group. The ease of migration and inter marriage has thrown up a lot of new issues that a simple Nigerian surname does not mean said fellow is Nigerian.

Like someone earlier said, Alaba doesn't speak English like our friend Sidney Sam. They do not understand the Nigerian culture and for all intents and purposes are not even Nigerians bar their surname. They do not even play football like Nigerians and who knows may actually disrupt team harmony. Victor Moses grew up in Nigeria and lived amongst Nigerians in London and understands Nigeria unlike Alaba, Sam or Barkley that would be literally out of place in the Super Eagles dressing room.
thiago illori is willing to play for england bt does nt 'knw english', bale is in madrid, bt he does nt 'knw spanish' kevin prince boateng is playin 4 ghana bt he doesnt knw english'. The truth is dat most of these players had dere fada wit them while growing up.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by uromicom: 4:56pm On Sep 13, 2013
na yeye dey worry them........................ malaga goalkeeper at the age of 32 still wanted to play for his father land Argentina but if na nigeria now england go rush them say bc them grow for england nonsence it high time fifa look into it........ if u are a french u are only allow to play for france if u are a german play for german if u are a nigeria play for nigeria nonsence
Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by Itoroetti(m): 4:57pm On Sep 13, 2013
vladimiros: the fact they were born abroad to Nigerian parents does not mean they have to feel Nigerian

jesus its very obvious

Why do u come to a nigeria forum to mumu urself?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by nijanigga: 4:58pm On Sep 13, 2013
To come and play for Nigeria=CORRUPTION? Thanks but no Thanks. Oh! Oh! player like David Alaba will go to Malawi, played for Nigeria and be fighting for $5,000 or was it $10,000 allowance, while David Mark and co are making millions /day for doing nothing but stealing. Some of the players, born abroad, but came to play for Nigeria did so for; racism or they've been used and dumped, like Shola, if Shola could play for England, he won't go out of his mind to play for Nigeria.
How about other athletes, of Nigerian descent representing Britain? eg. Christine Ohuruogu ,or those that abandoned Nigeria. eg. Francis Obikwelu.(Nigeria to Portugal).
Some of these talents will be a waste to Nigeria. Nigeria is not up to the level of her potentials, obviously corruption is sapping everything.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by Ikenna94: 4:59pm On Sep 13, 2013
shymexx: Personally, it has more to do with Nigeria not valuing Nigerian talents abroad. If you want them to play for Nigeria, you have to catch them young and give them the opportunity to represent Nigeria. However, Nigeria is too corrupt to allow that. Rather they would use over-aged cheats.

There are many stories of kids born abroad contacting naija FA about representing the country, but they were turned down. We can cite Alaba, Aogo, Onuoha etc.. Chuks Aneke's father also contacted the naija FA, however, he's yet to be invited to play for Nigeria.

Heck, Danny Shittu's mum had to literally force him on Nigeria before he was selected. Ain't no one got time for that. undecided
wrong.. Aogo nd onuoha were invited by Lagerbak in 2010 bt refused.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by nijanigga: 5:03pm On Sep 13, 2013
Ikenna94: thiago illori is willing to play for england bt does nt 'knw english', bale is in madrid, bt he does nt 'knw spanish' kevin prince boateng is playin 4 ghana bt he doesnt knw english'. The truth is dat most of these players had dere fada wit them while growing up.
Your IQ is really low, you're comparing England or Argentina (soccer level) with Nigeria. Do you know where Danny Welbeck came from? And: Ghana, how about Jérôme Agyenim Boateng.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by nijanigga: 5:06pm On Sep 13, 2013
Most of Nigerian folks are suffering from indigenization syndrome. "Because my dad hails from ajegunle, I must also inherit ajegunle citizenship." So to say, Keep fooling yourselves.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:06pm On Sep 13, 2013
Ikenna94: wrong.. Aogo nd onuoha were invited by Lagerbak in 2010 bt refused.

However, his mum begged naija to invite him to one of the under-aged teams when he was younger but he never got an invite. You can't always reap where you didn't sow. Same for Alaba and tons of other players.

I know loads of young naija guys out here better than some of the farmers playing for naija and they all want to play for naija. But I know they will never get an invite from naija because they aren't at the top yet.

Truth be told, naija will never produce some of calibre of players (in terms of technical abilities) in naija diaspora. I doubt naija will ever produce a left-back as good as Alaba. Hence why you need a mix of both. And most naija kids raised abroad are more patriotic than the ones raised in naija.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:13pm On Sep 13, 2013

jesus its very obvious
thank u very much, its like d op did not realise dat moses was born in naija and lived there for 11yrs and only accepted to play for us when england stopped calling him
Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by jjagz: 5:21pm On Sep 13, 2013
damosky12:
Who told you?
Victor Moses, Ameobi Shola, Emenike, Abey George etc all opted to play for Nigeria despite preasure from the countries they are based in.
abeg no add shola amoeba abeg...na now him turn waste pipe he wn play for naija
Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by vladimiros: 5:23pm On Sep 13, 2013
nijanigga: Most of Nigerian folks are suffering from indigenization syndrome. "Because my dad hails from ajegunle, I must also inherit ajegunle citizenship." So to say, Keep fooling yourselves.

thank you my Guy

Nigerians need to see things differently
Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by hollypagan: 5:24pm On Sep 13, 2013
we dnt care , let them go to hell ,
Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by Stormborn: 5:24pm On Sep 13, 2013
Nobody should blame the NFF or NIGERIA for not allowing those so called player to play for the super eagles. Most of those players that refused to play for the super eagles, and instead opted to play for other countries will tell u that nigeria did this or did that when none of them have been to the country before. If u want to know a player who is patriotic then u call Victor Moses whose parent's died in nigeria during a religous crisis in kaduna and he was smuggled out of the country by his parents friends but when the chance came to represent england he turned them down and waited for nigeria, and look at the so called players that refused nigeria and u will see that they are not valued by the countries they chose to represent, they are used for friendlies but when it comes to real competitions they are not even considered. Now tell me who is more fullish. As for alaba, i want u guy s to know that australia will never be better than nigeria in football terms and someone should ask agbolanhor when was the last time he played for england, they are all bunch of fullish and confused people. And for those who say they are afriad nigeria will kill their dreams, i just want to tell u that your dreams are already dead if u refuse to work hard towards it. Those who made it in nigeria don't have two heads Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by DisGuy: 5:32pm On Sep 13, 2013
Stormborn: Nobody should blame the NFF or NIGERIA for not allowing those so called player to play for the super eagles. Most of those players that refused to play for the super eagles, and instead opted to play for other countries will tell u that nigeria did this or did that when none of them have been to the country before. If u want to know a player who is patriotic then u call Victor Moses whose parent's died in nigeria during a religous crisis in kaduna and he was smuggled out of the country by his parents friends but when the chance came to represent england he turned them down and waited for nigeria, and look at the so called players that refused nigeria and u will see that they are not valued by the countries they chose to represent, they are used for friendlies but when it comes to real competitions they are not even considered. Now tell me who is more fullish. As for alaba, i want u guy s to know that australia will never be better than nigeria in football terms and someone should ask agbolanhor when was the last time he played for england, they are all bunch of fullish and confused people. And for those who say they are afriad nigeria will kill their dreams, i just want to tell u that your dreams are already dead if u refuse to work hard towards it. Those who made it in nigeria don't have two heads Thanks.

WITH people like you , who needs enemies...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Tobi Amusan Wins USA College Athletics Award / Doping: CAF Bans Oladapo Augustine (Enyimba Captain) / Sunny Ojeagbase: Akin Alabi Mourns Death Of Complete Sports Founder

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.