Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,084 members, 7,814,749 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:52 PM

Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? (16160 Views)

Victor Moses Featured In Galaxy 11 Team To Represent Earth With Ronaldo & Messi / Nigerian Players That Deserve Super Eagles Call-up / Top 10 Nigerian Players Of 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by omajali2003(m): 5:37pm On Sep 13, 2013
It is like you are the biological father of a child who was raised and loved by another man until he came of age. Who do you think will be more dear to his heart? The man who raised him!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by aiksneffects: 5:39pm On Sep 13, 2013
FIRST OF ALL THE MAIN MOTIVATING FACTOR WHY THOSE GUYS ABROAD REFUSE TO PLAY FOR NIGERIA IS DUE TO LACK OF FATHERS INFLUENCE IN THEIR LIFE.
SO MANY OF THEM WHERE NEGLECTED OR ABANDONED BY THEIR OWN FATHER AND WHILE THEY ARE GROWING UP. SO AS THE ANGER BUILD AS A RESULT OF THE NEGLECT, THEY DECIDED TO WAIT FOR THE PAY BACK.

EVERY KID WANT TO MAKE THEIR FATHER HAPPY AND PROUD AND WILL ALWAYS STICK TO THEIR FATHERS SIDE, BUT WHEN A FATHER REFUSE TO PLAY HIS ROLE IN A KIDS LIFE, THE RESULT WILL ALWAYS BE POOR RELATIONSHIP IN FUTURE BETWEEN THEM.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:40pm On Sep 13, 2013
nijanigga: Most of Nigerian folks are suffering from indigenization syndrome. "Because my dad hails from ajegunle, I must also inherit ajegunle citizenship." So to say, Keep fooling yourselves.
the foreign born players will only play for nigeria when they are rejected by other countries, dats a fact
Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by nora544: 5:44pm On Sep 13, 2013
vladimiros: David Alaba for example can't even speak English he speaks German with a strong Vienna accent

He is a real Austrian, he speak the dialefct of vienna german and he grew up in austria, he has his education in austria, his father make all that he come to this what he is now with the money he make in austria, he could have a free education in Austria , it was an austrian club who know that he could be good so tell my why he should play for nigeria, what has nigeria done for him, nothing.

He is not the only player we have who has a father or parents who come from nigeria.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by DisGuy: 5:54pm On Sep 13, 2013
ALL IN ALL there can only be 11 players on the pitch, why this so much hassle...there are millions begging to be called up in nigeria
Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by Gunzilla(m): 5:59pm On Sep 13, 2013
If you want your child to feel like a Nigerian,then you raise him like a Nigerian.Jeez !! You people need to travel more! A Child is born and grows up abroad,never been to Nigeria or maybe one time when he was like 6 years old,had all the sports training in his country where he was born,does not speak any Nigerian language..then when he becomes popular,you people want to claim him !! Seriously ??! Where is that done ??
Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:10pm On Sep 13, 2013
einstein_e: Which super eagles player can you compare to David Alaba? He is arguably the best left back in the world right now.

So what medal has he gat to show at his country level??.And im quite sure he won't take a medal at the country level....E no wise at all.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by PurestBoy(m): 6:10pm On Sep 13, 2013
papalbull: Its not just in Nigeria,its common in othere countries. Ok for example even the World Cup 2010 in South Africa, many players that were born in one country but chose to represent another. In many cases they are coming from former colonies, a situation quite common in the French team that won their only world title with the precious help of players born in former French territories.
Would “Les Bleus”(france) have been so successful with great African players like Zinedine Zidane (Algeria), Patrick Vieira (Senegal) or Marcel Desailly (Ghana), Caribbean Islands reinforcements like Lilian Thuram and Thierry Henry (Guadalupe) or Christian Karembeu (New Caledonia in the Pacific Ocean) as well as Robert Pires (Portugal) David Trezeguet (Argentina), Youri Djorkaeff and Alain Boghossian both from Armenia? It looked more like a World XI team that brought the World Cup and European Championships trophy home, to France. Michele Platini one of the best French players of all time was Italian too. So fellas its not just naija.thank you all. Train stop me here abeg. Thanks to jonathan.more than 8yrs now train never run for ph.

Abeg no vex oo but I swear u don dey kolo. . Lol
Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by nora544: 6:14pm On Sep 13, 2013
Blazey J:

So what medal has he gat to show at his country level??.And im quite sure he won't take a medal at the country level....E no wise at all.

David Alaba is one of the best players in the world and he is happy to be an Austrian citizen but this doesnot mean that he forgot the country where his father come and his mother comes from the philipines.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:25pm On Sep 13, 2013
Blazey J:

well at least he is guaranteed of so many caps 4 austria. Only 2 foreign born nigerians (ekoku and odemwingie) got 15+ caps for d eagles
Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by rhames(m): 6:34pm On Sep 13, 2013
Another round of relevance seeking, praise singing and cheap gossip.How many injured players during National assignments have the NFF catered or foot their bill? Name one from Stephen Keshi to Daniel Amokachi.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by pomporiking: 6:36pm On Sep 13, 2013
Do we even know if its the naija parent advicing their kids not to represent us.some of the parents haven't even been to nigeria before so why would nigeria even be an option for the kids
Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by manuch(m): 6:48pm On Sep 13, 2013
FACT: Alaba wanted to play for nigeria years ago he wanted to play for golden eaglets at the time. but was turned away hence his decision to represent Austria
Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by nora544: 6:50pm On Sep 13, 2013
manuch: FACT: Alaba wanted to play for nigeria years ago he wanted to play for golden eaglets at the time. but was turned away hence his decision to represent Austria

Can you tell me the year he want it, sorry but you tell a fake story
Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by Adamskuty(m): 7:03pm On Sep 13, 2013
in the case of david alaba,the st..upid clueless nff rejected him when he made a request to play for the under-17 during the youth world cup in nigeria 2009,they said the u17 is mainly for home based players that was when australia took him at once cos they know he will be a star in the future,even germany are regreting not calling him up earlier,he developed pretty fast!!!
Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by Adamskuty(m): 7:06pm On Sep 13, 2013
nora544:

Can you tell me the year he want it, sorry but you tell a fake story
dude! Pls if u don't know a thing stfu, david alaba was so eager to play for nigeria at the 2009 under-17 world cup. He even said it with his very mouth! Blame ur st..upid NFF.

Pls go google about it if u doubt,he was interviewed! Who in his right frame of mind will go for australia?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by ajf(m): 7:09pm On Sep 13, 2013
And does the op really think Ross barkley could ever play for Nigeria? Please remove him from that list....
Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by tellwisdom: 7:25pm On Sep 13, 2013
Where is Nigeria?? sad
Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by Testerfuze(m): 7:55pm On Sep 13, 2013
einstein_e: Which super eagles player can you compare to David Alaba? He is arguably the best left back in the world right now.
Wah abt ross barkley...d guy's a classy midfielder,a rare gem,buh unluckily england don cap am.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:02pm On Sep 13, 2013
Boneda: well at least he is guaranteed of so many caps 4 austria. Only 2 foreign born nigerians (ekoku and odemwingie) got 15+ caps for d eagles

Caps?!... Wetin i wan use caps do na..Victor Moses choosed Nigeria instead of England,and look,he has won something...wetin Stephen Gerard don carry for England?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by DisGuy: 8:04pm On Sep 13, 2013
Blazey J:

Caps?!... Wetin i wan use caps do na..Victor Moses choosed Nigeria instead of England,and look,he has won something...wetin Stephen Gerard don carry for England?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by DisGuy: 8:05pm On Sep 13, 2013
Blazey J:

what did odemwinge win since he choosed Nigeria?

At this rate you'll think Nigeria don win World Cup oo
Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:09pm On Sep 13, 2013
We dont need them. The NFF or whatever should scout for local players and train them. Thousands of Nigerian children with a football talent.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:19pm On Sep 13, 2013
The answer is simple.Nigeria doesn't have their best interest at heart. These players are used, exploited, depleted and degraded (their strength and time milked dry).
There's little or no welfare for the players, as opposed to their other countries of citizenship.
Nigeria needs to buckle up or else the world would pass her by and snatch away all her talented citizens.
The foreign nations have juicy offers and those fat carrots danggled in the player's faces are hard to resist.
Need I say more? Cheers
Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by vokalguy(m): 8:50pm On Sep 13, 2013
vladimiros: the fact they were born abroad to Nigerian parents does not mean they have to feel Nigerian

jesus its very obvious

I totally agree with you
Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by hitman2911: 8:58pm On Sep 13, 2013
There is no need for this thread:

1. The fact that these guys have Nigerian born father or mother does not make them Nigerians
2. Their main citizenship is their country of birth
3. These guys schooled, developed and trained mostly for free by these countries and you now expect them to come over to Nigeria to play. What is Nigeria contribution to their development
4. What was the fate of the older guys who opted to play for Nigeria in the past - John Chidozie, fashanus, etc. Most were turned away because they had no godfathers
5. Do Nigeria really need them? NO.
There are more than enough footballers
6. Nigerians should be educated and stop being ignorant that a guy bearing a Nigerian name may not be a Nigerian. Leave these guys alone , even when they want to play the system frustrate them. I will rather not waste my time telling my kids to represent Nigeria when their country of birth developed and appreciated them
Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by collynzo2(m): 9:00pm On Sep 13, 2013
BellaDonaFema: The answer is simple.Nigeria doesn't have their best interest at heart. These players are used, exploited, depleted and degraded (their strength and time milked dry).
There's little or no welfare for the players, as opposed to their other countries of citizenship.
Nigeria needs to buckle up or else the world would pass her by and snatch away all her talented citizens.
The foreign nations have juicy offers and those fat carrots danggled in the player's faces are hard to resist.
Need I say more? Cheers
How many of those players mentioned are playing in the national teams of the countries they were born in? They are mostly 3rd rate players, except Alaba.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by wales4real(m): 9:01pm On Sep 13, 2013
New liverpool fc center-back, Thiago Abiola Ilori, is a Nigerian paternally. This boy is still young and highly talented. Let keshi & co try if we can persuade him to hoist the flag of his fatherland as against portugal's or england's.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by collynzo2(m): 9:03pm On Sep 13, 2013
Ghanaians are not complaining about
Welbeck (Man utd / England)
Boateng (Germany / Bayern)
Balotelli (AC Milan / Italy)
These are top Ghanaian players born abroad, playing for top clubs and national teams. Here we are crying about 3rd rate players that aren't even supposed to make our team. LMAO
Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by esere826: 9:26pm On Sep 13, 2013
Why do nigerian players born abroad refuse to play for nigeria u ask

I dont know how true this is, as i'm yet to confirm
I hear that our constitution forbids nigerians born abroad from contesting the presidential election

if this is true, i dont expect them to owe any shred of loyalty to the country.
....i wont
Re: Why Do Nigerian Players Born Abroad Refuse To Represent Nigeria? by euphoria: 9:45pm On Sep 13, 2013
vladimiros: David Alaba for example can't even speak English he speaks German with a strong Vienna accent
he speaks English very well

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

NFF Deny Keshi Resignation / Nwankwo Kanu Celebrates His 41st Birthday Today / Tobi Amusan Wins USA College Athletics Award

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.