Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,668 members, 7,955,418 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 04:52 AM

Sachi Motorsport Audi A8 D3 4.2 Quattro Sport, Family Cruiser, V8 Content! - Car Talk (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Sachi Motorsport Audi A8 D3 4.2 Quattro Sport, Family Cruiser, V8 Content! (11406 Views)

What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars / 2008 Audi A8 D3 6.0 W12 Or 2010 Dodge Ram 2500 5.7 HEMI Quad Cab? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Re: Sachi Motorsport Audi A8 D3 4.2 Quattro Sport, Family Cruiser, V8 Content! by Nobody: 4:29pm On Oct 06, 2013
Having run the car for a week, I'm warming to Tiptronic. Not in the same class as manual - the Audi Cabriolet and BMW 120D M-Sport are in a different league. Less luxurious, but manual gives a better "connected" feel to the driving experience. The extra power, coupled with the lovely V8 burble makes the 6-Speed Tiptronic easier to tolerate. wink

I purchased the big Audi without vehicle exise duty, so have been taking chances driving her. Yesterday, she became fully road legal, after I got her licensed for 12 months, at £280 (ouch!). angry

I have looked into lowering her a bit. Since my car is a Sport, as opposed to the SE, the suspension is stiffer, and lower, but still high. There are 4 different settings:

01) Lift.
02) Comfort.
03) Automatic.
04) Dynamic.

Lift: This has the suspension at its highest setting, ideal for driving slowly over poor road surfaces.
Comfort: This has the suspension at its standard height, and softens the dampers. More compliant ride, but wallowy in corners at highway speeds.
Automatic: This setting allows the suspension to adapt to your driving style. Push the car hard in the corners, and it'll tighten up. Drive more leisurely, and it'll soften to provide a degree of compliance.
Dynamic: My favourite setting. cool This tightens up the suspension, and also lowers the car 20mm. Nice for spirited driving, more control, and less body roll. At speeds of 70 mph and above, the suspension lowers a further 5 mm. This is when the car "squats", improving high-speed stability and aerodynamics.

Since this car doesn't have conventional coil springs, the only way to lower it is messing with the software via the OBD port, using VCDS. Not really recommended. Or fooling the control unit into thinking the car is higher than it actually is, so it lowers the car more.

With air suspension, regardless of the car - Audi A8, Lexus LS 460, Mercedes-Benz S500 etc, the principle is the same. Each strut has a link rod, connection the struts to height sensors. By either lengthening or shortening these links (depending on orientation) the height sensors will receive different information with regards height. So on all settings whereby the car goes lower, the new data received by the height sensors, and sent to the control unit to be processed, means the car will be lower.

I'm going to have some adjustable links made up to replace the fixed factory items. They're just simple threaded rods with little joints at either end, direct replacements for the originals. I'll post pictures of the work in progress, and the end results.
Re: Sachi Motorsport Audi A8 D3 4.2 Quattro Sport, Family Cruiser, V8 Content! by Mlud: 10:58pm On Oct 06, 2013
I like all your proposed mods already..but mess about with air suspension by lowering the car??..oooohh brave man. Rather you than me but I guess it helps that you can do the work yourself.
Re: Sachi Motorsport Audi A8 D3 4.2 Quattro Sport, Family Cruiser, V8 Content! by Nobody: 11:06pm On Oct 06, 2013
It's not as drastic, or compex as it sounds. All that's being altered is the little links on each strut. So the automated side remains unchanged. I remember looking at a similar set-up on a 2009 Mercedes-Benz S500.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: / PAN Nigeria Higer Bus Bags Best New Auto Entrant Commercial Award / Incoming North American Vehicles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.