Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,098 members, 7,818,286 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:59 AM

How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? (15658 Views)

How Do You Deal With Spouses That Have Different Opinion About Family And Life? / How To Handle A Child's Tantrum In Public? / How Do You Deal With A Husband That Keeps Malice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by tpia5: 11:39pm On Sep 14, 2013
Terrible twos preview

You've been warned about the "terrible twos," but you may be unprepared for this rite of passage if your child has been cooperative up until now. The stage doesn't always begin exactly on your child's second birthday. Development experts say it can strike as early as 18 months and as late as 30 months (though some angelic children never go through this phase). How do you know if you're in the midst of the TTs? Look for new signs of assertiveness from your toddler. Hallmark behaviors to watch for: He may insist on doing exactly what you've told him not to do or throw himself down on the floor in a fit of temper if he doesn't get his way. His demands may alternately frustrate and amuse you. At times, for example, he'll likely ask for something that he doesn't even want, just to see if he has enough power to get it.

What you can do

Though you may be tempted to cry and throw yourself on the floor, too, the best thing to do during a temper episode is keep your cool, stay close to your child, and let him release his feelings. A hug and a shoulder to cry on may be all that some toddlers need to feel better, while others may benefit from the distraction technique — offer him another activity or toy.

If you're in a public place or at someone's house, pick up your child and take him someplace where the two of you can sit calmly until the feelings subside. Save the time-outs until he's old enough to understand and follow rules, sometime between ages 2 and 3.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_your-20-month-olds-social-and-emotional-development-terrible_1273321.bc
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by EfemenaXY: 11:54pm On Sep 14, 2013
^^ So I was right all along!

Thanks for sharing tpia@ smiley
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by deasy(m): 12:14am On Sep 15, 2013
We all are fallible and because of our fallibility,we are bound to make mistakes,we all are not perfect!
What we parent need the most in this parenting job we are in,is to STAY SANE!
We all have our time/moment of insanity...when your child is in this moment,just exercise Patience and Perseverance!
Be sensitive to the kids needs,there's a reason for the act(show you care by hugging,carrying,.etc) and you can distract(give him colourful toys,music/sound,etc)
Parenting is a difficult job it frustrate but you only can make it simple. Learn and prepare well for it!
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by Ayatullah(m): 12:20am On Sep 15, 2013

Such tantrum from a child of about two years outside the home could be blamed on the parents. It is a manifest evidence of how the child has been brought up. Children will generally be shy outside the home if they have very good home training with discipline at home. A child refusing to be carried and blocking the road in a banking hall is a potential 'Agbero'. Such behavior if exhibited at home will not be a danger signal, because that will be understandable as the child is in his territory, where he is very free and could 'rebel' once in a while, because that is the home front where the child is in charge. Therefore, to deal with such a child takes the parents a review of their own effort at properly bringing up such a child.

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by Nobody: 12:43am On Sep 15, 2013
Baybe: Seun! we need an 'ignore' button on Nairaland o cool

Lol, actually some people's mental state should be evaluated. I don't understand the reason for her rantings or is she having a nervous breakdown? Later same person will be claiming born again after all the cursing and insults! Even if we disagree with someone there are civilised ways of addressing issues. @ Op, well done for ignoring the rantings of what's obviously a very sick woman.

6 Likes

Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by othenok(f): 1:26am On Sep 15, 2013
I thank God I started "timing" my kids out early. Once I notice the restlessness or tantrum about to start I ask if they need a time out and the answer is always a big NO.

I have also downloaded loads of educational games and apps on my tablet.These apps act as child lock and it always keeps them busy.
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by evantical: 3:14am On Sep 15, 2013
wow! now am understanding better.my 18 months old daughter has been exhibiting all these lately.@tpia abeg cool temper nah .You can make your point without all these attacks on op or you were just joking? Look at your last post , it makes much sense.
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by Nobody: 6:12am On Sep 15, 2013
Efemena_xy:

You deal with the 'disturbance' by distracting them.

Give them something that captures their attention and engrosses them. That'll help take their minds off creating a 'disturbance'. Play with them. Talk with them (not at them). Give them toys - for a two year old, a mobile car, something with colours, etc. Lift the child in your arms and swing him around. Throw him up in the air playfully and catch him (don't let him fall!)

Jeez, the list is endless. You were once a child! How hard is it to look after a two year old?

And for the record, I disagree with you. I do not find children annoying. I try to understand them and get in tune with their needs. I understand when a child is bored, grumpy, sleepy, tired, hungry or even not well. Children cry for a reason, you know. Not just for the fun of it.
some children cry for fun...

1 Like

Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by Nobody: 6:34am On Sep 15, 2013
booqee: you're taking things too far! Shuoo!
i like your signature-
i can't think failure, infact i can't comprehend failure! Because GREATER is HE dat is in me..not failure!
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by Nobody: 6:42am On Sep 15, 2013
hisblud: i like your signature-
thanks smiley
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by Nobody: 7:02am On Sep 15, 2013
Buoyantic: some children cry for fun...
grin
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by Nobody: 7:09am On Sep 15, 2013
tatiana009:

Lol, actually some people's mental state should be evaluated. I don't understand the reason for her rantings or is she having a nervous breakdown? Later same person will be claiming born again after all the cursing and insults! Even if we disagree with someone there are civilised ways of addressing issues. @ Op, well done for ignoring the rantings of what's obviously a very sick woman.
The best I could do was ignore her cus I don't even know what she was talking about. I don't know where I'd start replying her from. She said I beat someone'e baby. I wonder where I said that. Seriously, how can I even beat someone's 2 year old baby? In public for that matter. The mother would just cut off my head grin.

Her last post made lotta sense. That's what she could've posted since so other mothers could learn instead of ranting.

Happy sunday ma'am. cool
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by doofanc: 7:21am On Sep 15, 2013
terrible two ko horrible three ni. i simply would spank d living daylights out of d child.

our parents did it and that was how many of us turned out ro be the responsible adukts dat we are.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by FBS: 7:28am On Sep 15, 2013
Buoyantic: some children cry for fun...
Hombre, kids cry for a reason. There is ALWAYS a reason.
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by FBS: 7:35am On Sep 15, 2013
Folks, I don't know @tpia but I think what she (albeit in her own way) is saying is this: You cannot open a thread saying you felt like spanking someone else's child (in this case a 2 year old) and real hard too. How is that your business? Why would you want to do that?
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by Nobody: 7:49am On Sep 15, 2013
Just put. Their pacifiers in their mouth and watch them follow you like zombies grin
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by lalaboi(m): 7:53am On Sep 15, 2013
FBS: Folks, I don't know @tpia but I think what she (albeit in her own way) is saying is this: You cannot open a thread saying you felt like spanking someone else's child (in this case a 2 year old) and real hard too. How is that your business? Why would you want to do that?
I am sure most mothers wont allow it, how dare you touch her kid . .

if its my kid, then i have no problem spanking him/her when being naughty grin
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by FBS: 8:00am On Sep 15, 2013
lalaboi:
I am sure most mothers wont allow it, how dare you touch her kid . .

if its my kid, then i have no problem spanking him/her when being naughty grin
Thats not even the issue. Will the mothers allow it or not. Issue is, why would you want to spank a 2 year old kid real hard? A kid who does not belong to you. Na serious wahala you dey look for be that.

Believe me man, spanking (a 2 year old) will NOT solve the problem. It will only make it worse. Try it and see.
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by lalaboi(m): 8:04am On Sep 15, 2013
FBS:
Thats not even the issue. Will the mothers allow it or not. Issue is, why would you want to spank a 2 year old kid real hard? A kid who does not belong to you. Na serious wahala you dey look for be that.

Believe me man, spanking (a 2 year old) will NOT solve the problem. It will only make it worse. Try it and see.

I get the issue, it is only an intent but not an actual happening. I am sure a lot of people think of doing something in a "saint" state just because they are pissed but end up not doing it as they are not that type of person! Just cos the OP mentioned that she wanted to spank the kid didnt mean she would have.
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by FBS: 8:13am On Sep 15, 2013
lalaboi:

I get the issue, it is only an intent but not an actual happening. I am sure a lot of people think of doing something in a "saint" state just because they are pissed but end up not doing it as they are not that type of person! Just cos the OP mentioned that she wanted to spank the kid didnt mean she would have.
Not taking it too far lol, but you should know that intent matters in a court of law. It literally means that if given the chance she would do just that.
Anyways, the point is this, there are many ways to cool a 2 year old down and spanking real hard is NOT one of them.
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by Nobody: 8:20am On Sep 15, 2013
lalaboi:

Thank you very much.

That I said that didn't mean I was going to do it. And I'm sure some people also felt the same way. They born well to beat person baby.

And you talking about opening a thread about it. Didn't you see the title of the thread? Did it read, 'I felt like spanking someone's two year old in the bank'. I just asked a question. As a mother/father, how do you deal with your baby's tantrums in public places?

I never knew anything about 'terrible twos', and I'm sure most people didn't also, but I now know that. What I wrote up there is just an example of the tantrums.

Pheww! Comprehension hard oo
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by Nobody: 8:35am On Sep 15, 2013
Thanks for the tip smiley
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by warrior101: 8:44am On Sep 15, 2013
Efemena_xy:

And yet another poster asking how to 'deal' with someone - this time, a child undecided

@OP, you do not 'deal' with toddlers! That child is still a baby and is simply going through a phase of asserting himself. It's called the 'terrible two's'. Google it up. He'll grow out of it. What the mother ought to have done was to provide the child with a distraction. Focusing on his naughtiness is simply playing into his hands of attention seeking, albeit negative attention.

It is well with our kids.

English please
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by CHIMSKY(m): 8:48am On Sep 15, 2013
Baybe: I saw one at the bank yesterday. The child should be about 2 years old. He refused to be carried by the mum preferring to seat on the floor blocking people's way. If the mum tried to carry him, he started to cry. I felt like spanking him real hard grin. I pitied for the mother shaa, see disturbance grin.
Tell me about it.My daughter is 4 and she still does it.When it happens,I either blackmail/bribe/distract her or hope her mum is near cos dat one no dey take nonsense from her!But when its good old daddy,she go dey form
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by Nobody: 8:50am On Sep 15, 2013
warrior101:

English please
She wrote in English undecided
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by CHIMSKY(m): 8:54am On Sep 15, 2013
doofanc: terrible two ko horrible three ni. i simply would spank d living daylights out of d child.

our parents did it and that was how many of us turned out ro be the responsible adukts dat we are.
This point is undeniably true.I think as parents we have gone soft on our kids.Softer than our parents were on us.And it degenerates progressively.I predict that our own kids will even be softer still on their kids.When I was a child and we were passing Kingsway,I couldnt tell my my mum or dad we should stop and go in there.But now kids virtually drag their parents to the mall,and even have the nerve to throw tantrums there.
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by Nobody: 9:14am On Sep 15, 2013
Efemena_xy: ^^ So I was right all along!

Thanks for sharing tpia@ smiley
Who was arguing with you before? undecidedundecided grin..SMH

1 Like

Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by Forwetinnah: 10:04am On Sep 15, 2013
Ayatullah:

Such tantrum from a child of about two years outside the home could be blamed on the parents. It is a manifest evidence of how the child has been brought up. Children will generally be shy outside the home if they have very good home training with discipline at home. A child refusing to be carried and blocking the road in a banking hall is a potential 'Agbero'. Such behavior if exhibited at home will not be a danger signal, because that will be understandable as the child is in his territory, where he is very free and could 'rebel' once in a while, because that is the home front where the child is in charge. Therefore, to deal with such a child takes the parents a review of their own effort at properly bringing up such a child.

Leave them na, make dem dey follow the "oyinbo" way of "trainning a child". A parent MUST learn how to control a childs environment not the other way round. When you give in to their whimps every time they cry or say YES any time they rebel, they begin to think its the normal thing to do. That's why a child overseas can over dose on drugs, shoot people or commit suicide just because things aren't working their way..no proper trainning! When a child grows up with YES parents, what do you expect?
Mother: you can't attend a party on a weekday cause you have to be in school early the next day
Child: if you don't let me go, I'll slit my wrist
Like seriously??! When you no stop am when e b 2yrs, na for 14 yrs you wan stop am?
Teach them @an early age that things should be done a certain way before age 4, after which it will be difficult to correct. Train a child (not pamper) the way it should GROW

1 Like

Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by Anvaller: 10:05am On Sep 15, 2013
Ayatullah:

Very correct, I have seen ppl talking about all sort of things here like its normal because the kid was just 2 yrs old. Well its not the kid's fault at all, it's the parent's fault. A kid has no reason to misbehave like that in public if not that the parent's condone BS. If u raised ur baby properly, instill discipline in a timely and well calculated way, u wil not have a child that gives u trouble. If u are too lazy to do that, well, deal with whatever problem or embarrassment the kid brings u and if u beat that child out of frustration of being embarrassed in public, u should be jailed for child abuse and for not knowing how to do ur job of raising a kid properly.

Some think it is impossible to train a little kid because of the common statement "he/she's just a baby" and that is where the mistake is. The right time to train ur kid is exactly that moment when they are just babies, so when they are 3,4,5 yrs old, they are already tamed kids that wont give u any troubles hence the reason why u'd have no reasons to beat ur kids. But most parents wait till their kids are around 5 and even 7 or thereabout before thinking of trying to instill some discipline and that is a bit late most especially for an instinctively troublesome kid. U might have to be forced to give them some spanking before they could listen but that is not the kid's fault, it's ur fault cos u started too late.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by Nobody: 10:09am On Sep 15, 2013
Brings back memories of my son between the ages of 15 months and almost 3. Jeez! I saw hell, I stopped going to church and going out, he was an awful TERRIBLE TWO. No matter the distractions, snacks, telling off etc., it never worked in public, I think he just knew I was not going to shout or spank him in public. As soon as we step into the house, he becomes an angel.
He is 3 and a half now and has changed, so I definitely went through that horrible phase, I think some of them just do it for fun.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Getting Married To A Divorcee...what Are The Odds? / Sad Facts About Modern Family Life / Maternity Leave During Nysc..advice Needed Pls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.