Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,987 members, 7,817,909 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:37 PM

How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? (15651 Views)

How Do You Deal With Spouses That Have Different Opinion About Family And Life? / How To Handle A Child's Tantrum In Public? / How Do You Deal With A Husband That Keeps Malice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by Anvaller: 10:11am On Sep 15, 2013
For wetin nah?:

Leave them na, make dem dey follow the "oyinbo" way of "trainning a child". A parent MUST learn how to control a childs environment not the other way round. When you give in to their whimps every time they cry or say YES any time they rebel, they begin to think its the normal thing to do. That's why a child overseas can over dose on drugs, shoot people or commit suicide just because things aren't working their way..no proper trainning! When a child grows up with YES parents, what do you expect?
Mother: you can't attend a party on a weekday cause you have to be in school early the next day
Child: if you don't let me go, I'll slit my wrist
Like seriously??! When you no stop am when e b 2yrs, na for 14 yrs you wan stop am?
Teach them @an early age that things should be done a certain way before age 4, after which it will be difficult to correct. Train a child (not pamper) the way it should GROW

Pls Tell 'em one more time buddy!
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by Pattey(m): 10:36am On Sep 15, 2013
Folks, please drop the 'terrible two' and other Oyinbo coined-up theories. Yes, they may seem true about our kids BUT we should note something important;

The western world has the highest number of morally inept, manner lacking, non-courteous, outright spoilt silly brats on earth. The reason for this is simple. The rod has been spared and the kids have been spoilt.

Now, this is not an automatic endorsement for spanking kids. No. A parent SHOULD NEVER spank any kid out of temper, it should be OUT OF LOVE.

Spanking a kid should be an entirely corrective measure and not one meant to sooth your temper.

If there are other ways such as distracting the child, going into a rough play session where he/she ends up laughing hysterically, then Fine!
Or just ignore the child until he/she comes back to his/her senses - which is my personal favourite though, PROVIDED he/she is not being noisy with the tantrums.

But we should also note that regardless of the other non-spanking tactics, some kids are just potential OGBANJEs, and those two/three lashes (not with anger of course) are the only functional reset buttons.

I love kids, and it breaks my heart to see em spanked. But when all psychological ways to placate fails, the child must not be left to get ROTTEN.

One last thing about the OP and those judging her 'intent'. Before you judge, make sure you've experienced something b4 or @least, Imagine it. Some kids could be sooooo annoying in public you'll wish you could assist their parents with the spanking. Trust me, many of 'those sympathizers' are actually waiting 4U to initiate that reset button.

All the sorry they say afterwards is more like; sorry kid, but serves you right for not getting it together fast enough.
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by FBS: 11:10am On Sep 15, 2013
Acute RUBBISH. All those "oyinbos" wey una dey talk are one of the strictest people you will ever meet. I should know. Little wonder their countries are way better than ours.
Cant really understand why spanking a 2 year old REALLY HARD is the first thing that comes to your mind if he or she "misbehaves". Intent or not but thats just plain stupid and wicked. Does it not cross your mind to figure out why? Is that what defines you as a parent? SMH
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by Nobody: 11:16am On Sep 15, 2013
FBS: Acute RUBBISH. All those "oyinbos" wey una dey talk are one of the strictest people you will ever meet. I should know. Little wonder their countries are way better than ours.
Cant really understand why spanking a 2 year old REALLY HARD is the first thing that comes to your mind if he or she "misbehaves". Intent or not but thats just plain stupid and wicked. Does it not cross your mind to figure out why? Is that what defines you as a parent? SMH
Why are you stressing on the 'REAL HARD'? It's just an adjective I put there.

About Oyinbos being the strictest, I laugh. An Oyinbo kid would tell the dad, 'Shut up Dad!' and all the Dad would say is, 'I'm your Dad, don't talk to me like that' finish. Now, that's being strict. cool

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by FBS: 11:21am On Sep 15, 2013
Baybe: Why are you stressing on the 'REAL HARD'? It's just an adjective I put there.

About Oyinbos being the strictest, I laugh. An Oyinbo kid would tell the dad, 'Shut up Dad!' and all the Dad would say is, 'I'm your Dad, don't talk to me like that' finish. Now, that's being strict. cool
Easy. I stress it because of the intent. It matters. Its wicked.
How do you know you never said such when you were 2. Do you know that for a fact?
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by Nobody: 11:28am On Sep 15, 2013
FBS:
How do you know you never said such when you were 2. Do you know that for a fact?
Okay

Happy sunday

1 Like

Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by FBS: 11:35am On Sep 15, 2013
Baybe: Okay

Happy sunday
Happy days. Same to you. cheesy
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by ocelot2006(m): 11:35am On Sep 15, 2013
A single dirty slap. Works like magic.
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by Pattey(m): 11:44am On Sep 15, 2013
FBS:

FYI: Its nt even 2yr olds, 20yr olds tell their dads to shut up (& other stuffs U dare nt try here)!

I'm sure if you read previous posts, you should have deduced that spanking; real hard or real soft, is to be a last resort for an ALASEJU child; not the 1st thing U do as a parent.
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by FBS: 11:49am On Sep 15, 2013
Pattey:

FYI: Its nt even 2yr olds, 20yr olds tell their dads to shut up (& other stuffs U dare nt try here)!

I'm sure if you read previous posts, you should have deduced that spanking; real hard or real soft, is to be a last resort for an ALASEJU child; not the 1st thing U do as a parent.
Oh really? Tell me about it. cheesy
Must have missed it. Can you show me where? grin
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by FBS: 11:52am On Sep 15, 2013
ocelot2006: A single dirty slap. Works like magic.
Oh I bet that makes you feel like a champion dirty slapping a 2 year old. Keep it up.
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by Pattey(m): 1:32pm On Sep 15, 2013
FBS:
Oh really? Tell me about it. cheesy
Must have missed it. Can you show me where? grin

You can start from page 0. . . But if you're too lazy for that, go 2d top of ds very page.. . .

& yh, you're welcome (in advance)
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by gameboy727(m): 1:43pm On Sep 15, 2013
godjohnson: R.k.o does the job just fine
You wan kill the pikin??
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by deasy(m): 3:14pm On Sep 15, 2013
CHIMSKY:
This point is undeniably true.I think as parents we have gone soft on our kids.Softer than our parents were on us.And it degenerates progressively.I predict that our own kids will even be softer still on their kids.When I was a child and we were passing Kingsway,I couldnt tell my my mum or dad we should stop and go in there.But now kids virtually drag their parents to the mall,and even have the nerve to throw tantrums there.

True talk!!!
It's a natural change that we all have to accept and adapt to...Am not like my parent and I'd say the world is more civilize/advance than the days of our fathers,the world itself as a great influence on our children cause they easily expose to it.
If the world is changing our young and naïve children can go with it but our parenting style have to change too in order to guide our little kids well.
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by damiso(f): 5:15pm On Sep 15, 2013
Pattey: Folks, please drop the 'terrible two' and other Oyinbo coined-up theories. Yes, they may seem true about our kids BUT we should note something important;

The western world has the highest number of morally inept, manner lacking, non-courteous, outright spoilt silly brats on earth. The reason for this is simple. The rod has been spared and the kids have been spoilt.

Now, this is not an automatic endorsement for spanking kids. No. A parent SHOULD NEVER spank any kid out of temper, it should be OUT OF LOVE.

Spanking a kid should be an entirely corrective measure and not one meant to sooth your temper.

If there are other ways such as distracting the child, going into a rough play session where he/she ends up laughing hysterically, then Fine!
Or just ignore the child until he/she comes back to his/her senses - which is my personal favourite though, PROVIDED he/she is not being noisy with the tantrums.

But we should also note that regardless of the other non-spanking tactics, some kids are just potential OGBANJEs, and those two/three lashes (not with anger of course) are the only functional reset buttons.

I love kids, and it breaks my heart to see em spanked. But when all psychological ways to placate fails, the child must not be left to get ROTTEN.

One last thing about the OP and those judging her 'intent'. Before you judge, make sure you've experienced something b4 or @least, Imagine it. Some kids could be sooooo annoying in public you'll wish you could assist their parents with the spanking. Trust me, many of 'those sympathizers' are actually waiting 4U to initiate that reset button.

All the sorry they say afterwards is more like; sorry kid, but serves you right for not getting it together fast enough.
Pattey: Folks, please drop the 'terrible two' and other Oyinbo coined-up theories. Yes, they may seem true about our kids BUT we should note something important;

Really so Nigeria where kids are spanked has the most morally upright people(kids grow up to be adults don't they) in the world.I laugh in spanish.lets just leave it at different methods for different kids(I smack my kids if need be so am not doing oyinbo nothing).But if we are to look at the result so I.e. adults of both methods (Nigeria where spanking is the default discpline method or the west where communication is key besides oyinbos too smack their kids so I don't get all this oyinbo talk) I know which I will choose.
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by ocelot2006(m): 6:01pm On Sep 15, 2013
FBS:
Oh I bet that makes you feel like a champion dirty slapping a 2 year old. Keep it up.

Thanks.
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by Pattey(m): 8:36pm On Sep 15, 2013
damiso:

Really so Nigeria where kids are spanked has the most morally upright people(kids grow up to be adults don't they) in the world.I laugh in spanish.lets just leave it at different methods for different kids(I smack my kids if need be so am not doing oyinbo nothing).But if we are to look at the result so I.e. adults of both methods (Nigeria where spanking is the default discpline method or the west where communication is key besides oyinbos too smack their kids so I don't get all this oyinbo talk) I know which I will choose.

do you have a problem with reading OR with comprehension? whichever is a challenge for you, please find some good Samaritan close to you so he/she will break it down for you; your're apparently no different from the two-year olds we are talking about.
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by smartmom(f): 8:49pm On Sep 15, 2013
Raised this topic a while ago and came across a similar post here too. Quite revealing or shall we say insightful:

[url]http://www.nigerianparentsforum.com/index.php/topic,155.0.html[/url] check the section on Boosting ur child's self esteem

A parent's job aint easy!
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by damiso(f): 10:44pm On Sep 15, 2013
Pattey:

do you have a problem with reading OR with comprehension? whichever is a challenge for you, please find some good Samaritan close to you so he/she will break it down for you; your're apparently no different from the two-year olds we are talking about.

A very good example of how courteous and well mannered Nigerians are grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by Pattey(m): 11:34pm On Sep 15, 2013
damiso:

A very good example of how courteous and well mannered Nigerians are grin grin grin

Exactly! Nigerians know when to pull the plugs off the brains of silly brats like yourself

and do I also need to remind you that unlike your western role models;

Nigerian kids don't bully their mates till they commit suicide,

Nigerian kids don't practice the kind of insane bullying that creates social maniacs in the western world

Nigerian kids don't develop psychopathic tendencies because of emotional destabilization caused by their morally derelict peers, in other cases; unbalanced parenting skills. Examples are those fellows that go on shooting sprees

Nigerian kids don't carry their parents guns and blowing off school mates,

Nigerian kids don't practice karate with their toddler sibling until he/she dies,

Nigerian kids are raised to know the limits and those who fail to demonstrate good upbringing either simply refused to be of good conduct OR their parents were the outright failure.

The choice is yours

1 Like

Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by Nobody: 11:53pm On Sep 15, 2013
Do some of you lack basic comprehension skills or what exactly is your problem?

The op is Not the parent of the baby, why is she talking about hitting someone's child?

If you need to discuss beating your child up then open another thread for that, nigerians already have a reputation for violence anyway!

A child is throwing a tantrum in a public place, all you need to tell the mother is take him outside, but no, these oversabi permanently-park-for-nairaland must advocate hitting the baby!
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by damiso(f): 12:09am On Sep 16, 2013
Pattey:

Exactly! Nigerians know when to pull the plugs off the brains of silly brats like yourself

and do I also need to remind you that unlike your western role models;

Nigerian kids don't bully their mates till they commit suicide,

Nigerian kids don't practice the kind of insane bullying that creates social maniacs in the western world

Nigerian kids don't develop psychopathic tendencies because of emotional destabilization caused by their morally derelict peers, in other cases; unbalanced parenting skills. Examples are those fellows that go on shooting sprees

Nigerian kids don't carry their parents guns and blowing off school mates,

Nigerian kids don't practice karate with their toddler sibling until he/she dies,

Nigerian kids are raised to know the limits and those who fail to demonstrate good upbringing either simply refused to be of good conduct OR their parents were the outright failure.

The choice is yours

I hate arguing back and forth online (life is stressful enough as it is) so my last response to you.

Smack your child if you want (that's if you have children) its best left to every parent how to raise their children.My point was using smacking as a yardstick for the moral uprightness of Nigerian children is just laughable.I know we pretend to be holy and all but I certainly would not give Nigeria the award for the most morally upright nation on earth.

Morals means different things to different people though so whatever na you know.And as for that your epistle up there, I don't know what bullying can be worse than telling a junior to crawl on a granite floor till their knees bled(one of the reasons I became a day student in JSS1)

Goodnight and have a good week ahead.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by Pattey(m): 12:23am On Sep 16, 2013
damiso:

I hate arguing back and forth online (life is stressful enough as it is) so my last response to you.

Smack your child if you want (that's if you have children) its best left to every parent how to raise their children.My point was using smacking as a yardstick for the moral uprightness of Nigerian children is just laughable.I know we pretend to be holy and all but I certainly would not give Nigeria the award for the most morally upright nation on earth.

Morals means different things to different people though so whatever na you know.And as for that your epistle up there, I don't know what bullying can be worse than telling a junior to crawl on a granite floor till their knees bled(one of the reasons I became a day student in JSS1)

Goodnight and have a good week ahead.

If you were not lazy to read, you would have also seen smacking as the last resort. . . something which I also emphasized shouldn't be done out of annoyance to sooth your temper as a parent.
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by sloo1: 3:41am On Sep 16, 2013
HOW TO DEAL WITH TANTRUMS

THE CHALLENGE

When he is upset, your two-year-old launches into a fit of screaming, stomping, and thrashing about. You wonder: ‘Is my child normal? Does he throw tantrums because of something I am doing wrong? Will he ever grow out of this?’You can help your two-year-old to change his behavior. First, though, consider what could be contributing to it. *

WHY IT HAPPENS

Small children have limited experience in handling their emotions. That factor alone can lead to an occasional tantrum. But there is more.Think about the change that a child experiences at about age two. From the time that he was born, his parents catered to his every need. If he cried, for example, they came running.‘Is the baby sick? Does he need to be fed? soothed? changed?’ The parents did whatever was needed to make things better. And that was proper because a baby is fully dependent upon his parents.At about age two, however, a child begins to realize that his parents are catering to him less and less. In fact, instead of their serving his needs, they expect him to comply with their wishes. The tables have turned, and a two-year-old may not take well to the change without protest—perhaps in the form of a tantrum.In time, a child usually adjusts to the fact that his parents are his instructors, not just his caretakers. Hopefully, he also comes to see that his role is to “be obedient to [his] parents.” (Colossians 3:20) In the meantime, a child may test every fiber of his parents’ patience with one tantrum after another.

WHAT YOU CAN DO

Be understanding. Your child is not a miniature adult. Having little experience in dealing with his emotions, he may overreact when he is upset. Try to see the situation through his eyes.—Bible principle: 1 Corinthians 13:11.Stay calm. When your child is having a tantrum, losing your temper will not help. To the extent possible, ignore the tantrum and react matter-of-factly. Remembering why tantrums occur will help you to stay calm.—Bible principle: Proverbs 19:11.Hold your ground. If you give in to whatever it is your child is demanding, he will likely throw another tantrum the next time he wants something. Calmly show your child that you mean what you say.—Bible principle: Matthew 5:37.Remembering why tantrums occur will help you to stay calmBe patient. Do not expect tantrums to disappear overnight, especially if you have given your child reason to believe that his behavior will sway you. If you react properly and consistently, however, the tantrums will likely diminish. Eventually, they will stop altogether. The Bible says: “Love is long-suffering.”—1 Corinthians 13:4.Also, try the following:When the tantrum begins, hold your child in your arms (if possible) and, without hurting him, restrict him from thrashing about. Do not shout at your child. Just wait for the storm to pass. Eventually, the child will realize that the tantrum has got him nowhere.Designate an area where you can put your child when he has a tantrum. Tell him that he may come out when he has calmed down, and then leave him there.If your child has a tantrum in public, remove him from the view of others. Do not give in just because he is making a spectacle. That will only leave your child with the message that by throwing a tantrum, he can get whatever he wants.

KEY SCRIPTURES

“When we were children, we thought and reasoned as children do.”—1 Corinthians 13:11, Contemporary English Version.“The insight of a man certainly slows down his anger.”—Proverbs 19:11.“Let your word Yes mean Yes, your No, No.”—Matthew 5:37.

BE CONSISTENT!

“I chuckle inside whenever I hear a parent complain that a certain child ‘can’t take no for an answer.’ I’m amused because the comment always says more about the parent than it does the child. A child who can’t take no for an answer always has parents who can’t really say it. It’s not that the child can’t take no, it’s that he or she has no reason to believe it.”—John Rosemond, New Parent Power!

http://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/g201307/how-to-deal-with-tantrums/

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by sayso: 6:56am On Sep 16, 2013
@OP, I hope your parents dealth with you when growing up because you sound like a real disturbing toddler.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by Nobody: 7:08am On Sep 16, 2013
sayso: @OP, I hope your parents dealth with you when growing up because you sound like a real disturbing toddler.
tonguetongue
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by critique101(f): 7:27pm On Nov 04, 2013
One hot slap should do the trick grin
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by tpiadotcom: 3:42am On Nov 28, 2015

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? / Getting Married To A Divorcee...what Are The Odds? / Maternity Leave During Nysc..advice Needed Pls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.