Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,740 members, 7,820,548 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:56 PM

Nasarawa Crisis: We Were Left At Mercy Of Ombatse - Survivors - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nasarawa Crisis: We Were Left At Mercy Of Ombatse - Survivors (1473 Views)

Financial Crisis: “we Will Reduce Workers’ Salaries, Retrench Or Restructure” – / Ombatse Spokesman - 'Bullets Don't Kill Us' / Jos Crisis: We Lost All Say Hausa-fulani, Igbo, Yoruba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nasarawa Crisis: We Were Left At Mercy Of Ombatse - Survivors by VictorM(m): 10:12pm On Sep 16, 2013
Survivors of the clash between the Ombatse ethnic militia and Assakio in Alago community in Lafia local government area of Nasarawa State have narrated how they escaped death.

In spite of the condemnation trailing the seeming insensitivity of the federal government -- its inability to check the excesses of the Ombatse ethnic militia -- in the two days after the group laid siege to Assakio, an Alago community, security men are yet to be deployed to the area.

LEADERSHIP findings revealed that the attack which started about 7am on Friday continued unabated through Sunday with the Ombatse militia taking their time to reduce the town to rubble. Victims of the assault, who were able to escape to safety across the borders of neighbouring Plateau State, said that Hilux vans were seen conveying jerry cans of gasoline and other combustibles, which were used to set homes and business premises ablaze.

One of the victims, a headmaster in one of the primary schools in the area, who sought anonymity said, “I ran away with the short snickers I was wearing and crossed over to Plateau State for safety with my family. We saw vans delivering gasoline to the militia and in addition they sawed any trees in front of our houses which were made to fall on our houses to completely destroy them. ”

Giving his account, a police officer who rushed from Niger State on hearing of the fracas to rescue his family said passing through Assakio was like scaling a ghost town and wondered when the dwellers would be able to rebuild their dwellings again and restore their lives to normalcy.

“The whole of Assakio town is completely destroyed. In fact, in the previous attacks the Assakio Main Market was spared but this time around the whole market has been completely burnt down,” he said.

Narrating her story in Lafia, having fled from the farm with her two kids, a middle-aged Tiv woman, whose identity cannot be revealed, said she was on her way to the farm with her two children when she heard of the assault on their community and fled through the bush to Lafia for safety.

“I still don’t know the whereabouts of my husband. I have been trying his phone number since yesterday but it’s not going through,” she said.

Although military men were said to have been deployed to the area, they never engaged the Ombatse militia who continued to carry out their activities with reckless impunity.

In a reaction, the first civilian governor of Nasarawa State, Senator Abdullahi Adamu, added his voice to the condemnation of the federal government’s tacit connivance by allowing the killing of innocent men, women and children to go on as if we are living in a state of nature. He said through deliberate inaction government has allowed the Ombatse militia to continue their reign of terror even when they would have stepped in to nip the continuing violence in the bud.

Senator Adamu, who expressed his resentment at the nonchalant attitude of the federal government, said such signal is capable of sending a wrong signal to other ethnic and terrorist militias, thereby setting a regrettable precedence. He wondered why, four months after over 70 security operatives were brutally murdered while carrying out their constitutional duties, the federal government is behaving as if nothing has happened. He also noted that the Ombatse saga is purely political. There is nothing cultic about the Ombatse, he said. They are a group of misguided youths whose activities government has refused to tame.

Only last week, the Nasarawa State government said the federal government has shown laxity in dealing with the Ombatse criminality.

But when LEADERSHIP visited the state command of the Nigeria Police yesterday evening, hordes of mobile policemen were hanging around the premises of the command while the military men deployed to restore peace in Obi LGA were said to have gone to Agwatashi in Obi LGA, and Keana LGA without confronting the Ombatse militia.

3 killed, houses burnt in fresh Nasarawa crisis – Police commissioner

Meanwhile, the Nasarawa State police command has claimed that three people were killed while many houses were burnt during a fresh communal crisis in the state.

The commissioner of police, Nasarawa command, Mr Shehu Umar, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Lafia yesterday that the clash was between suspected members of Ombatse and Alago groups in Obi LGA of the state

Shehu also said that the command had drafted a team of security personnel to the area to restore normalcy.

“Three persons were killed while many were injured during the clash, but so many houses that we cannot give account of for now were burnt,” he said.

Nasarawa violence: HURIWA faults Maku’s appointment as defence minister

But the Human Rights Writers Association of Nigeria (HURIWA) has faulted President Goodluck Jonathan’s appointment of information minister Labaran Maku as “supervisory” minister in the Ministry of Defence.

HURIWA, in a statement made available to LEADERSHIP, called for a probe by an independent judicial commission of inquiry on Maku’s alleged roles in the Nasarawa violence so as to assuage the bottled-up emotions of certain persons who are aggrieved.

Again, the human rights group condemned what it tagged the “piecemeal approach” adopted by both the federal and Nasarawa State governments in the Nasarawa violence linked to the local militia, Ombatse. The violence claimed 30 lives at the weekend.

The statement read in part: “Although for now, the remote linkage of the serving information minister Mr Labaran Maku to the ongoing bloody violence in his home state of Nasarawa is still mere conjectures and speculations, but the federal government has failed to investigate clinically and professionally, using the services of tested and trusted serving Supreme Court of Nigeria justices and independent security and forensic experts, the remote and immediate causes, circumstances and individuals fingered for being responsible for the ongoing killings and inter-ethnic upheavals in Nasarawa State; therefore it would be hasty and preposterous for President Jonathan to assign the very strategic defence ministry to Maku who for now is alleged to be a party, rightly or wrongly, in the violence tearing his state apart and which is linked to the politics of 2015 governorship.”

Alakyo Killings: Former CP, DSS boss to appear before panel today

In a related development, former commissioner of police, Nasarawa State command, Akeremale Abayomi and the former Director of State Services, DSS, in the state, Mohammed Haliru, will today appear before the Justice Joseph Fola Gbadeyan, led commission probing the controversial circumstances surrounding the killings of over 100 security operatives in Alakyo village, Lafia on May 7, 2013.

The chairman of the commission disclosed this last Thursday evening, shortly after concluding its six weeks hearing during which 23 memos and several witnesses were presented before it.

- See more at: http://leadership.ng/news/160913/nasarawa-crisis-we-were-left-mercy-ombatse-survivors#sthash.1XYyBCrR.dpuf
Re: Nasarawa Crisis: We Were Left At Mercy Of Ombatse - Survivors by Nobody: 10:33pm On Sep 16, 2013
Naija is a joke!!
Re: Nasarawa Crisis: We Were Left At Mercy Of Ombatse - Survivors by Arobam: 11:44pm On Sep 16, 2013
FG needs to move into Nassarawa and possibly declare a state of emergency because its obvious that the crisis has gone beyond the control of the security apparatus in the state.
Fortunately, president Jonathan has appointed Maku(a son of the soil) as acting Defence Minister. He is very competent and capable to handle the situation if only the state governor will agree to liase with him.
Re: Nasarawa Crisis: We Were Left At Mercy Of Ombatse - Survivors by fagbalex(m): 12:08am On Sep 17, 2013
Arobam: FG needs to move into Nassarawa and possibly declare a state of emergency because its obvious that the crisis has gone beyond the control of the security apparatus in the state.
Fortunately, president Jonathan has appointed Maku(a son of the soil) as acting Defence Minister. He is very competent and capable to handle the situation if only the state governor will agree to liase with him.

you must be pro Jonathan, don't you know its the information minister behind all this killing of alago people. now he's takin charge of defence ministry, he will use that opportunity to lure arms for ombatse militia group. god will surely save us from this wicked man.
Re: Nasarawa Crisis: We Were Left At Mercy Of Ombatse - Survivors by divatosin(f): 12:24am On Sep 17, 2013
Victor M: .

Nasarawa violence: HURIWA faults Maku’s appointment as defence minister

But the Human Rights Writers Association of Nigeria (HURIWA) has faulted President Goodluck Jonathan’s appointment of information minister Labaran Maku as “supervisory” minister in the Ministry of Defence.

HURIWA, in a statement made available to LEADERSHIP, called for a probe by an independent judicial commission of inquiry on Maku’s alleged roles in the Nasarawa violence so as to assuage the bottled-up emotions of certain persons who are aggrieved.

Again, the human rights group condemned what it tagged the “piecemeal approach” adopted by both the federal and Nasarawa State governments in the Nasarawa violence linked to the local militia, Ombatse. The violence claimed 30 lives at the weekend.

The statement read in part: Although for now, the remote linkage of the serving information minister Mr Labaran Maku to the ongoing bloody violence in his home state of Nasarawa is still mere conjectures and speculations, but the federal government has failed to investigate clinically and professionally, using the services of tested and trusted serving Supreme Court of Nigeria justices and independent security and forensic experts, the remote and immediate causes, circumstances and individuals fingered for being responsible for the ongoing killings and inter-ethnic upheavals in Nasarawa State; therefore it would be hasty and preposterous for President Jonathan to assign the very strategic defence ministry to Maku who for now is alleged to be a party, rightly or wrongly, in the violence tearing his state apart and which is linked to the politics of 2015 governorship.”

Nigerian civil society groups will never cease to amaze me. Right from the first line, they left no one in doubt of their real motive-attack Maku.
I don't know why everything in Nigeria including this unfortunate crisis in Nassarawa is being politicized. Instead of this organization that glories in the name HURIWA to condemn the violence and proffer workable solutions to resolving this dispute, they chose to question the appointment of Maku as Defence Minister. Is that the issue here?

If not for mischief, what does an interim appointment of Maku as Defence Minister got to do with a violence that has been raging in the state since early in the year? Did Maku deploy youths in both communities to clash? To what end?

Funny enough, the same group acknowledged in the bolded text that there's no remote link or evidence suggesting that Maku is sponsoring the crisis in the state so why drag him into it? Or is it part of the agenda by GEJ's critics to blame and demonise him for anything bad in Nigeria.i don't just understand.

On the Probe issue, Gov Tanko Al Makura had set up the Justice Gbadeya commission to investigate the crisis. i dont think its expedient for FG to set up its own probe on the same subject matter. Double commissions of inquiry will be conflicting and may usher in unnecessary APC/PDP interests. Those calling for FG probe on the incident are the same people who will turn round tomorrow to allege that FG deliberately set up a probe to counter whatever reports that Gov Tanko Al Mukar's probe committee submitted.

Every concerned Nigerian must be evolving strategies to ensure lasting peace in Nassarawa than using the crisis to play cheap partisan politics.
Re: Nasarawa Crisis: We Were Left At Mercy Of Ombatse - Survivors by Arobam: 12:44am On Sep 17, 2013
fagbalex:

you must be pro Jonathan, don't you know its the information minister behind all this killing of alago people. now he's takin charge of defence ministry, he will use that opportunity to lure arms for ombatse militia group. god will surely save us from this wicked man.

You must be Pro Lie. What evidence have you that Maku is behind the killing of the people or you just sit down in front of your laptop and make useless assumptions? If you read my post well, I was advocating for a declaration of state of emergency by FG to curtail this rising insecurity.
It is only a party who is interested in sustaining this feud that will have problems with my position.
Re: Nasarawa Crisis: We Were Left At Mercy Of Ombatse - Survivors by adino(m): 12:45am On Sep 17, 2013
up ombatse.
When alago militia were setting up Eggon youths with police and fulani they did not know that The Law of Reciprocity Exists. Now they must face the music, in Nigeria govt. cant save you. You save yourself. Even the blood sucking fulani herdsmen are completely absent from action in Nasarawa these days. Oga Maku, Abeg time to roll tanks to herdsman camps.
Re: Nasarawa Crisis: We Were Left At Mercy Of Ombatse - Survivors by fagbalex(m): 12:50am On Sep 17, 2013
diva_tosin:

Nigerian civil society groups will never cease to amaze me. Right from the first line, they left no one in doubt of their real motive-attack Maku.
I don't know why everything in Nigeria including this unfortunate crisis in Nassarawa is being politicized. Instead of this organization that glories in the name HURIWA to condemn the violence and proffer workable solutions to resolving this dispute, they chose to question the appointment of Maku as Defence Minister. Is that the issue here?

If not for mischief, what does an interim appointment of Maku as Defence Minister got to do with a violence that has been raging in the state since early in the year? Did Maku deploy youths in both communities to clash? To what end?

Funny enough, the same group acknowledged in the bolded text that there's no remote link or evidence suggesting that Maku is sponsoring the crisis in the state so why drag him into it? Or is it part of the agenda by GEJ's critics to blame and demonise him for anything bad in Nigeria.i don't just understand.

On the Probe issue, Gov Tanko Al Makura had set up the Justice Gbadeya commission to investigate the crisis. i dont think its expedient for FG to set up its own probe on the same subject matter. Double commissions of inquiry will be conflicting and may usher in unnecessary APC/PDP interests. Those calling for FG probe on the incident are the same people who will turn round tomorrow to allege that FG deliberately set up a probe to counter whatever reports that Gov Tanko Al Mukar's probe committee submitted.

Every concerned Nigerian must be evolving strategies to ensure lasting peace in Nassarawa than using the crisis to play cheap partisan politics.

ogbeni sharap!!!!! why has your federal Government put deaf ear to the nefarious activities of these sect. they're now using their spiritual power to oppress others. May Allah protect the alago people from those cannibals called eggon ombatse (agents of labaran maku) that are unleashing terror act on them.
Re: Nasarawa Crisis: We Were Left At Mercy Of Ombatse - Survivors by VictorM(m): 12:59am On Sep 17, 2013
fagbalex:

Mr Man. Leave pro or anti Jonathan out of this. Me, I'm not pro Jonathan but I don't see how you can blame the deployment of Maku to Defence Ministry as the reason behind this communal violence. Be factual, not emotional.
Re: Nasarawa Crisis: We Were Left At Mercy Of Ombatse - Survivors by fagbalex(m): 1:19am On Sep 17, 2013
Victor M:

Mr Man. Leave pro or anti Jonathan out of this. Me, I'm not pro Jonathan but I don't see how you can blame the deployment of Maku to Defence Ministry as the reason behind this communal violence. Be factual, not emotional.

well god is in control but this people are really unveiling impunity because they know no one will question them. this same people lead to the death of hundreds of police men. this people need to do something about it.
Re: Nasarawa Crisis: We Were Left At Mercy Of Ombatse - Survivors by Dollarman101: 1:39am On Sep 17, 2013
grin grin E be like say this HURILAW peeps get special interest for APC or Governor Tanko Al Makura Otherwise I no see the reason why they will avoid the real issues and question Maku's additional defence Portfolio.

Ombatse has been operating with or without Maku as defence Minister. Maku was not defence Minister when they unleashed mayhem on policemen and SSS. Maku was not defence Minister when the director of SSS and the Police boss executed an unprofessional operation that exposed our young officers to gruesome murder in the hands of the militia. Maku was not defence Minister when Gov Al Makura mobilized the ill fated operation.
Our problem in this country is that we play politics with almost everything. Rather than trace the root of this crisis(which obviously borders on a pact with the so called militia and Al Makura for 2011 Elections) they are busy trying to shift attention.
Re: Nasarawa Crisis: We Were Left At Mercy Of Ombatse - Survivors by Maduale: 2:33pm On Sep 17, 2013
Since Gov Al Makura became Governor of Nassarawa state, it thus appears the state has retrogressed. No visible development. All we hear is one crisis to another. From Nassarawa state university crisis and shooting of students to ombatse and now Alago crisis. What is really happening? APC has failed woefully in Nassarawa and must give way to a more competent hand to manage the state. Enough is enough.
Re: Nasarawa Crisis: We Were Left At Mercy Of Ombatse - Survivors by bloggernaija: 5:59pm On Sep 17, 2013
THE LATE SAGE PROVIDED THE SOLUTION TO ALL THESE PROBLEMS MORE THAN 50 YRS AGO.
Go and read
MY THOUGHTS ON THE NIGERIAN CONSTITUTION .
LET ALL ETHNIC NATIONALITIES HAVE THEIR OWN STATE WITH CLEARLY DEFINED BORDERS AND SUSTAIN ON THEIR OWN RESOURCES.
IF THEY WANT,THEY CAN ALLY WITH NEIGHBOURING STATE TO FORM A BIGGER ONE.
OR ELSE , THIS UNITY BY OIL WILL FALL APART ONE DAY.

(1) (Reply)

Royal Rumble!!! Delta Senatorial Election: The Winner Is??? / Osun Election: 50 Sniffer Dogs, Chemical Weapons Team Deployed / PDP Senators Move Against GEJ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.