Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,171 members, 7,815,094 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:12 AM

40 Soldiers Killed, 65 Missing In Boko-Haram Ambush - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 40 Soldiers Killed, 65 Missing In Boko-Haram Ambush (30196 Views)

How Two Soldiers Were Killed In Boko Haram Ambush / Buhari Executed 40 Soldiers For Plotting A Coup (New York Times 1984) / Nigerian Soldiers Successfully Repel Suspected Boko Haram Ambush In Kogi State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 40 Soldiers Killed, 65 Missing In Boko-Haram Ambush by chris365(m): 12:29am On Sep 18, 2013
I can't believe Nigerians are this gullible and stup1d. Who in this world would believe this kitchen story if not a dummy?

1) the army can't lose 40 men and the news will not make it to the public.

1) y'all 4got the premiumtimes have a reputation of complete falsehood and you swallowed this story of unknown soldiers dished at y'all like a bunch of illiterates

the story doesn't sound right at all. And until it surfaces on another media, i'm not buying this piece of crap from premiumtimes

1 Like

Re: 40 Soldiers Killed, 65 Missing In Boko-Haram Ambush by lastpage: 12:50am On Sep 18, 2013
Kei144:
My father was a Biafran soldier. One day, at Nkpor sector, he was among a platoon sent to reinforce another platoon that had been badly pressed by the enemy federal soldiers. They got to the people they were to reinforce in the bush, but they were so psychologically devastated that they couldn't even speak when they were asked the location of the enemy; they only motioned with their hands. My father and his colleagues began to advance towards the trench the other people evacuated from and the enemy suddenly opened fire massively on them. The trench was a few metres away. They dove and rolled into the trench before returning fire. (l hear that the federal troops then threw grenades into that trench and .......Kabooom! grin) Even though the availability of a nearby trench could be said to be their saviour, their split-second response in the face of extreme adversity was actually the number one saviour. That is why he is alive to tell the story

grin grin grin grin grin Your Dad must have been secretly playing with your video game! Mortal Combat is not for adults! grin grin grin
He was no where near any war-front! grin grin

I mean, what does it profit most of these "Biafran fathers" not to tell their children the "real truth" about the Biafran War?
Most Biafran Soldiers/conscripts were so devastated and truamatised, they could hardly pull the trigger if and when their dane-guns had bullets

Even that one near my place who confessed to being holed up in the wilderness for almost two months eating grass and lizards, told the children that he commanded a whole battalion and "saw action" that would make Hitler proud! grin grin
He even invented and asked his children to address him as "Old Soooja"! grin grin

Anyway, its good for the psyche. Tell him to tell you about how he brought down an Apache helicopter with bare hands! shocked shocked

Lastpage!

BTW: No disrespect to your Dad, l just think Dads owe it a duty to tell their children the "exact truth about such events", no matter how unpalatable.

2 Likes

Re: 40 Soldiers Killed, 65 Missing In Boko-Haram Ambush by occupan(m): 1:10am On Sep 18, 2013
May God help us in dis country
Re: 40 Soldiers Killed, 65 Missing In Boko-Haram Ambush by Nobody: 2:33am On Sep 18, 2013
True or false,God rest the soul of the dead.
13volt,i hope your still alive!
Re: 40 Soldiers Killed, 65 Missing In Boko-Haram Ambush by Gayigaskia(m): 2:56am On Sep 18, 2013
payless:

I watched this video and it was terrific seeing those monsters blast into pieces. In Nigeria, war is only fought with guns and bullets. No sophisticated weaponry or conventional way of fighting war with latest technology. The buck stops with the President/Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces. I just hope Nigeria doesn't get into a war with a country like Egypt, Mauritania, Congo, Angola, Algeria, Ethiopia....... those countries could wipe out Nigeria within a week. So much for "Giant of Africa."

Just Egypt and Algeria, but the rest of these countries can not even withstand Kaduna state.
Re: 40 Soldiers Killed, 65 Missing In Boko-Haram Ambush by Afritop(m): 4:18am On Sep 18, 2013
But that plan was cancelled at the final minutes by an unnamed top official without formal communication to the more than 100 troops that had already advanced on the area.

To be candid the unnamed govt official is responsible for this unfortunate incident. The army ought to have known before hand the gravity of cancelling such an hazardous plan
Re: 40 Soldiers Killed, 65 Missing In Boko-Haram Ambush by Nobody: 5:31am On Sep 18, 2013
The director of Army public relations has said only 15 soldiers were killed and 9 remain missing, even those figures are still too high.
Re: 40 Soldiers Killed, 65 Missing In Boko-Haram Ambush by lurvy: 6:26am On Sep 18, 2013
Re: 40 Soldiers Killed, 65 Missing In Boko-Haram Ambush by ALEXIS0240: 6:35am On Sep 18, 2013
16 soldiers killed, many missing in fresh Borno attackon September 18, 2013 at 1:34 am in News
BY KINGSLEY OMONOBI, WITH AGENCY REPORT.PUNCH.
Army authorities disclosed, yesterday, that 15 soldiers and a lieutenant have been killed by Boko Haram terrorists along the Baga-Maiduguri Road in Borno State, while 150 sect members were killed by troops of the 7th Division during a fierce battle with the insurgents last weekend.
Defence sources, however, contradicted the casualty figure, saying at least 40 soldiers were killed and 65 others missing in a deadly ambush by the suspected members of Boko Haram.
Confirming the incident, Director of Army Public Relations, Brigadier General Ibrahim, stated that on September 12, 2013, troops from 81 Battalion under 7th Division of the Nigerian Army acting on intelligence report gathered that the insurgent had regrouped at Kafiya forest and were planning to launch an attack.
“Following the information, the troops launched an attack and destroyed the enemy camp, and during the encounter that lasted several hours, the troops killed 150 insurgents while one Lieutenant and 15 soldiers lost their lives”.
According to the Army spokesman, the enemy camp was well fortified with anti-aircraft and anti-tank guns mounted on vehicles.
The Army spokesman also disclosed that one Abba Goroma, one of the most wanted insurgent commanders, on whose head the sum of N10 million was placed as bounty, was killed in the encounter.
The Federal Government had last year placed a N10 million bounty on Goroma for any information leading to his whereabouts.
Asked to comment on reports on social media that about 40 military personnel were killed and 65 of them were missing as a result of the ambush, General Attahiru dismissed the report, saying it was a fabrication insisting that only 15 soldiers and an officer were killed.
An online publication quoting multiple defence sources, however, claimed that 40 soldiers were killed by the sect members while 65 others were missing. The report stated that the army authorities were miffed by the incident and have ordered an investigation into the suspected operation blunder that gave the militants such an upper hand. It quoted army officials as saying that the commanding officer of the unit that carried out the operation has now been removed from his post.
The casualty, one of the heaviest for the military in its campaign against the militant group in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa states, was considered a classic case of operational and communication failure.
According to the report, a detachment of soldiers under the 134 Battalion of the 12 Brigade under the Multi National Joint Task Force, MNJTF, stationed in Kangarwa village in Kukawa local government, had conducted a reconnaissance to gather intelligence around the area, during which they established the presence of previously unnoticed Boko Haram camps.
The soldiers were said to have returned to their base and filed a report recommending aerial bombardment of the area, preparatory for a ground operation by troops.
But that plan was cancelled at the final minutes by an unnamed top official without formal communication to the more than 100 troops that had already advanced on the area.
“Due to lack of communication, the troop ran into the terrorists without knowing that the aerial bombardment had been cancelled and they were caught unawares,” one of the sources said.
The soldiers were trapped in the ambush under heavy fire from the militants who had surrounded the area, leaving at least 40 soldiers killed. 65 others have remained missing, other sources said.
The insurgents reportedly confiscated a huge cache of weapons from the soldiers after the attack.
The attack came less than two months after a similar one on August 4, which also resulted in heavy casualty following a surprise attack by Boko Haram on a camp at Malam Fatori.
Re: 40 Soldiers Killed, 65 Missing In Boko-Haram Ambush by SHAAWA: 7:27am On Sep 18, 2013
[quote

author=Sincere 9gerian]This appears like pure sabotage by elements
sympathetic to Boko Haram in the military. The story doesn't even add
up. Assuming there was even loss of communication, aren't those on
ground supposed to see signs of aerial bombardment even on ground before
venturing on the operation? Why did they embark on the operation when
there was no sign of aerial bombardment? How come we still have Boko
Haram camps after almost 6 months that the military deployed fully on
ground? I'm not a military strategist but I smell sabotage and
quota-system-induced INCOMPETENCE. Very sad[/quote]

Well said, can we also attribute the recent killings of soldiers by the
ombatse cult in Nassarawa also to Boko haram sympathisers, sabotage and
quota system induced incompetence?
Besides I don't believe this story, how many soldiers are still missing 65 or 20? from the narration, Boys scouts are better prepared than these combatants.
Re: 40 Soldiers Killed, 65 Missing In Boko-Haram Ambush by Kei144(m): 7:31am On Sep 18, 2013
lastpage:

grin grin grin grin grin Your Dad must have been secretly playing with your video game! Mortal Combat is not for adults! grin grin grin

I mean, what does it profit most of these "Biafran fathers" not to tell their children the "real truth" about the Biafran War?
Most Biafran Soldiers/conscripts were so devastated and truamatised, they could hardly pull the trigger if and when their dane-guns had bullets

Even that one near my place who confessed to being holed up in the wilderness for almost two months eating grass and lizards, told the children that he commanded a whole battalion and "saw action" that would make Hitler proud! grin grin
He even invented and asked his children to address him as "Old Soooja"! grin grin

Anyway, its good for the psyche. Tell him to tell you about how he brought down an Apache helicopter with bare hands! shocked shocked

Lastpage!

BTW: No disrespect to your Dad, l just think Dads owe it a duty to tell their children the "exact truth about such events", no matter how unpalatable.

Why comment about a war you know nothing about. Try and get a person who fought on the Nigerian side and ask him how possible the scenario I described could have been. You think that Biafrans always fought with dane guns and were always so devastated and truamatised that they could hardly pull the trigger and yet they held up a heavily equipped Nigeria Army for 30 months. Even in my description of the scenario, you could see that the platoon that my father and his colleagues came to reinforce were devastated and truamatised. Nkpor sector happened towards the end of the war. By then the British had supplied much more arms to Nigeria and had studied Biafrans' techniques and properly taught the Nigeria Army how to rout the Biafrans.

The ratio of Nigeria to Biafra soldiers then was 10:1. All Biafrans who fought at Nkpor sector were armed with "Settima" (M16). Biafrans captured the guns from Nigerians. No one can be in a war front with 1:10 disadvantage and be firing dane gun; you won't even last one minute. By that time the Biafrans were terribly disadvantaged--in terms of ammo, troop numbers--and even their tactics had been discovered by the British and revealed to Nigeria Army. Do you still think I am a son of a man who never neared the Biafran war front?
Re: 40 Soldiers Killed, 65 Missing In Boko-Haram Ambush by nglazauro: 7:34am On Sep 18, 2013
What a pity
40 soldiers at a blow? but where are those civilian jtf? last week i was in maiduguri, n am impressed with what i saw.
there must be hidden agenda!!!
Allah yajikan sojojin mu.
Re: 40 Soldiers Killed, 65 Missing In Boko-Haram Ambush by omiobo: 9:02am On Sep 18, 2013
There are still moles in the army. The tragedy is the work of moles.
Re: 40 Soldiers Killed, 65 Missing In Boko-Haram Ambush by femiseun1: 9:13am On Sep 18, 2013
Mali simply told Naija the truth when they assessed our armed forces and their level of intelligence. So it does not come as a surprise when the truth came out grin . RIP to the departed souls .... Soldiers still plenty for barracks and no work to do
Re: 40 Soldiers Killed, 65 Missing In Boko-Haram Ambush by gbengaola: 9:16am On Sep 18, 2013
The officer who called off the aerial strike should be tackled except for one reason,if only he can also call off the ongoing ASUU strike.
Re: 40 Soldiers Killed, 65 Missing In Boko-Haram Ambush by BlogStablecom(m): 9:20am On Sep 18, 2013
Good job boko boys!!!! Our president is a fool!!! Don't expect anything good from de military if they're not well equipped...
Re: 40 Soldiers Killed, 65 Missing In Boko-Haram Ambush by gbishman: 9:26am On Sep 18, 2013
i never knew war had become a game where actual lives are been taking gosh this isnt right is this part of the rules of engement
Re: 40 Soldiers Killed, 65 Missing In Boko-Haram Ambush by swintiney: 9:30am On Sep 18, 2013
I find this hard to believe, i have watched most local TV news stations, tried to spot it on the news bars of most of them but cant find this news, all i can see is the PDP crises in the Senate & Federal House of Reps. For God's sake this is unfair to the people of Nigeria. If not for the social media and this blessed platform (nairaland.com), we would have been ignorant of this. Can our leaders please for once wake up to the reality and resort to finding a honest alternative to what is the reality now before this widening gyre of anarchy spreads further?
Re: 40 Soldiers Killed, 65 Missing In Boko-Haram Ambush by Nobody: 10:06am On Sep 18, 2013
bloggernaija: More like Operational incompetence and presidential failure.
THAT IS WHY WE ARE NOT SEEING ANY PROGRESS.THE PLAN ITSELF IS FLAWED
with the trillions of naira voted for security,why not a night raid with night vision goggles with helicopter gunship support .
Just One apache AH64 can control that battlefield by providing cover for the advancing troop from more than 10 miles and destroying everything that moves.
Guess what ,it cost less $25 million dollars
Why won't the soldiers be slaughtered like ileya ram.
Do you need to conduct an air raid before advancing on the terrorist ?
IS the element of surprise not the key to winning this kind if war?
More like BBM' ing to alert the terrorist before advancing with armourless and useless pick-up truck.
All this after devoting over a trillion naira annually to security for the past 3 years.

When nigeria is ready to fight this kind of asymmetric warfare with proper weapons ,equipment and strategy
WAKE ME UP
RIP soldiers
U deserve a better commander in chief.

Apache AH64 ( not crappy chinaware)dealing with terrorists who did not even know they were being watched.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHwVZWHeX0o

Nna mehn, this helicopter go erase boko haram in one raid...
Re: 40 Soldiers Killed, 65 Missing In Boko-Haram Ambush by Nobody: 10:11am On Sep 18, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: This appears like pure sabotage by elements sympathetic to Boko Haram in the military. The story doesn't even add up. Assuming there was even loss of communication, aren't those on ground supposed to see signs of aerial bombardment even on ground before venturing on the operation? Why did they embark on the operation when there was no sign of aerial bombardment? How come we still have Boko Haram camps after almost 6 months that the military deployed fully on ground? I'm not a military strategist but I smell sabotage and quota-system-induced INCOMPETENCE. Very sad

This is very disheartening. This is an operation, that United States will finish in 3days if this were happening on their soil. Smh

The guy who ordered the withdrawal of air raid should be sentenced...
Re: 40 Soldiers Killed, 65 Missing In Boko-Haram Ambush by Nobody: 10:14am On Sep 18, 2013
eGuerrilla:

Someone vested with a sense of humility, who clearly understands he is no military strategist, would have spared us the conjectural musings.

If the military guy is proud enuf to goof in this class of operation, then he should be taught by even a kindergarten...
Re: 40 Soldiers Killed, 65 Missing In Boko-Haram Ambush by igoro10: 10:27am On Sep 18, 2013
jmaine: Am sorry to say this but the truth must always prevail . . .

The Nigerian army are still living in the past and are a bit Lilly livered in most cases . . .

How can the army be always seeking for air cover when going for a raid . .The surprise advantage is lost when you always rely on having the Air force provide air cover for every small raid.
You talk like that bc u have little or no knowledge of what is going on in war front. I know people like you can't even hold a riffle talkless of shooting it.
Visit:www.calebmoney..com 4 more gist
Some of those Military boys dey faint sef if them jam BH . . . .Which levels Na . . embarassed

Re: 40 Soldiers Killed, 65 Missing In Boko-Haram Ambush by djfaithy: 11:38am On Sep 18, 2013
eagle,eye:

You are an idi0t.
. Yeah and one of the most reasonable commentator,on this thread....can't you see these guys has been lying to us, they told us their leader has been killed,yet there is no proof to show for it, I can remember they've been giving out a lot of press release that they are winning THIS war, but to be sincere....ARE THEY?, those brave men wouldn't have lost their lives if that mission wasn't compromised, so if you like call me stupid....this country is Fv.cked from head to toe
Re: 40 Soldiers Killed, 65 Missing In Boko-Haram Ambush by Ndkings1(m): 1:19pm On Sep 18, 2013
R.I.P to the dead.
Corect ur mistakes next time.
Re: 40 Soldiers Killed, 65 Missing In Boko-Haram Ambush by NiccoC(m): 4:02pm On Sep 18, 2013
40 soldiers killed in 1 attack, 65 missing because of a stupid error from an insensitive, incompetent general and someone will still tell me Nigeria will be better.

SMH

R.I.P to the deceased shaa. i'm sure if there is an afterlife, they'll all never want to reincarnate as Nigerians
Re: 40 Soldiers Killed, 65 Missing In Boko-Haram Ambush by Caleboha(m): 4:12pm On Sep 18, 2013
I've cried reading this news and the responses from fellow nigerians. Regrets, weeping and sadness is only impulsive and there's nothing cerebral about it. Some things are evident and we must never forget them! 1. Boko Haram was informed and well prepared for the ill fated invasion. 2. This is Nigeria, a country with conflicting tribal and religious interests. 3. The overt imperfections in our polity is resident in the military circles. 4. Most Nigerians, especially our leaders still celebrate mediocrity. 5. If this never happened we'll never have known how deficient we are. 6. Whatever does not destroy us makes us stronger. RIP to the dead!
Re: 40 Soldiers Killed, 65 Missing In Boko-Haram Ambush by ocelot2006(m): 9:16pm On Sep 18, 2013
bloggernaija: More like Operational incompetence and presidential failure.
THAT IS WHY WE ARE NOT SEEING ANY PROGRESS.THE PLAN ITSELF IS FLAWED
with the trillions of naira voted for security,why not a night raid with night vision goggles with helicopter gunship support .
Just One apache AH64 can control that battlefield by providing cover for the advancing troop from more than 10 miles and destroying everything that moves.
Guess what ,it cost less $25 million dollars
Why won't the soldiers be slaughtered like ileya ram.
Do you need to conduct an air raid before advancing on the terrorist ?
IS the element of surprise not the key to winning this kind if war?
More like BBM' ing to alert the terrorist before advancing with armourless and useless pick-up truck.
All this after devoting over a trillion naira annually to security for the past 3 years.

When nigeria is ready to fight this kind of asymmetric warfare with proper weapons ,equipment and strategy
WAKE ME UP
RIP soldiers
U deserve a better commander in chief.

Apache AH64 ( not crappy chinaware)dealing with terrorists who did not even know they were being watched.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHwVZWHeX0o

I'm afraid I find your claim about the the AH-64 Apache laughable. Yes it's a hi-tech bird with way more sensors and computers, and the Longbow version can equally serve as a scout helo just like the smaller Kiowa. BUT i'll rather have the more rugged Mi-24/35 Hind provide backup than the Apache for a number of reasons:

1) the apache is a maintenance-intensive bird that spends way more time on the ground than in the air. Doubt that? Read up on its performance in the Arid Afghanjstan and Iraq. It was so bad that the much older USMC's AH-1 Cobras/Supercobras were ranked higher the apache. The Hind (aka Satan's chariot) on yhe other was built with ruggedity in mind, and has proven itself in same Afghanistan, Sierre Leone, and even Nigeria during the ND insurgency (PHC 2007). That helo was built to take a beaten and dish it out to the enemy. It's no wonder tge Muhjadeen feared this beast so much.

2) Unlike the Apache, the Hind can equally serve as a utility helicopter, something NO OTHER attack helo can boast off. Apart from its primary attack role, it can equally be used to insert 7 heavily armed troops into battle, thanks to its rear cabin that btw is equipped with 2 more machine. And when its not in use, it can be used to....wait for it.....carry WAY MORE munitions. That means that while the Apache has to hop back to the nearest forward operating base (FOB) to refuel and rearm, the Hind remains on station to rain down the wrath of God on the poor souls in its target.
Re: 40 Soldiers Killed, 65 Missing In Boko-Haram Ambush by wasspord: 10:19pm On Sep 18, 2013
lastpage:

Lastpage!

Fa­ggot, if most of them fled to bush during the war then who were the overpampered Nigerian Army (and their Niger republic/Russian/Canadian mercenaries) with all their military apparatuses fighting with for almost 3 years, successfully wasting expending more small arms ammo than all the forces in WW2. Yes, they were under armed and had to ration ammunition and all that sh­it (two rounds for offensive, one for defensive, two men per gun; attacking armed personnel with cutlasses) but they were able to defend their motherland with the little they had as best as they could and only surrendered when the FG's blockade led to massive starvation (cant fight on a hungry stomach). Nig­ger please do not rubbish the efforts that those young men made like that.
Moreover, if such a thing were to reoccur, I know where to find you: in the bush, feasting on your lizards and grass banquet. comot hia make i learn a thing or two about gunships from men wey sabi not some read-a-book-you-illiterate-son-of-a-you_know_who fa­ggot.
Fu­ck You and have a nice day (whatever is left of it.)
Re: 40 Soldiers Killed, 65 Missing In Boko-Haram Ambush by mkoabiola: 11:31pm On Sep 18, 2013
I was thinking NA has won d battle.
Dere is stil more work to do.
Re: 40 Soldiers Killed, 65 Missing In Boko-Haram Ambush by mkoabiola: 11:32pm On Sep 18, 2013
I was thinking NA has won d battle.
Dere is stil more work to do.
These boko haram no de finish.
Re: 40 Soldiers Killed, 65 Missing In Boko-Haram Ambush by tomakint: 12:31am On Sep 19, 2013
Kris d don.:
Still wondering how true this is. This is not mistake at all! It was predetermind, i smell betrayal either from the militry commander of the unit or among the field soldiers themselves.
The Nigerian Army reeks of betrayal, this is one headache Ihejirika (COAS) is fighting hard to bring under control! I will not be surprised if the bulk of the deceased soldiers are from the Southern part of this country undecided May the Dead Soldiers Rest In Perfect Peace cool
Re: 40 Soldiers Killed, 65 Missing In Boko-Haram Ambush by ofala(m): 3:12am On Sep 19, 2013
Who is the 'officer' that cancelled the air raid few minutes before the arrival of the ground troop and WHAT WERE HIS REASONS!!?? Is someone being questioned at the moment for this huge 'sin'? Nigeria.....my once very beautiful Country

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Wole Soyinka speaks on Blame Passing and actions of Socia Media Automated Mumus / Lagosians Groan As VIOs Violate Sanwo-Olu's Directives On Morning Operations / Police Arrest Drunk Policeman In Abuja (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.