Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,236 members, 7,815,313 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:40 AM

40 Soldiers Killed, 65 Missing In Boko-Haram Ambush - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 40 Soldiers Killed, 65 Missing In Boko-Haram Ambush (30198 Views)

How Two Soldiers Were Killed In Boko Haram Ambush / Buhari Executed 40 Soldiers For Plotting A Coup (New York Times 1984) / Nigerian Soldiers Successfully Repel Suspected Boko Haram Ambush In Kogi State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Re: 40 Soldiers Killed, 65 Missing In Boko-Haram Ambush by ocelot2006(m): 11:08am On Sep 19, 2013
ocelot2006:

I'm afraid I find your claim about the the AH-64 Apache laughable. Yes it's a hi-tech bird with way more sensors and computers, and the Longbow version can equally serve as a scout helo just like the smaller Kiowa. BUT i'll rather have the more rugged Mi-24/35 Hind provide backup than the Apache for a number of reasons:

1) the apache is a maintenance-intensive bird that spends way more time on the ground than in the air. Doubt that? Read up on its performance in the Arid Afghanjstan and Iraq. It was so bad that the much older USMC's AH-1 Cobras/Supercobras were ranked higher the apache. The Hind (aka Satan's chariot) on yhe other was built with ruggedity in mind, and has proven itself in same Afghanistan, Sierre Leone, and even Nigeria during the ND insurgency (PHC 2007). That helo was built to take a beaten and dish it out to the enemy. It's no wonder tge Muhjadeen feared this beast so much.

2) Unlike the Apache, the Hind can equally serve as a utility helicopter, something NO OTHER attack helo can boast off. Apart from its primary attack role, it can equally be used to insert 7 heavily armed troops into battle, thanks to its rear cabin that btw is equipped with 2 more machine. And when its not in use, it can be used to....wait for it.....carry WAY MORE munitions. That means that while the Apache has to hop back to the nearest forward operating base (FOB) to refuel and rearm, the Hind remains on station to rain down the wrath of God on the poor souls in its target.

Oh. Did I also mention that the Mi-24/35 Hind is:

1) faster than the AH-64 Apache

2) more quiet than the Apache

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Tinubu: Gov Dapo Abiodun Wouldn't Have Been Governor Without Me / Photo Of People Hailing Okorocha In Ogoni / Tinubu: "Saraki And El-Rufai Instigated Buhari Not To Pick Me As VP"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.