Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,204 members, 7,822,054 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:46 AM

Yar’adua Declares War On Militants - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yar’adua Declares War On Militants (8733 Views)

Pipeline Bombings: Soldiers Declare War On Militants, Comb Creeks / Gov Ganduje Declares War On Kwankwaso / Adesola Amosu Declares War On South-south Militants,Orders Air Bombing Of Creeks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by smile4kenn(m): 10:03am On Jun 21, 2008
President Umaru Yar’Adua on Friday ordered an offensive on militants in the Niger Delta, warning them to get ready to face the full consequences of taking up arms against the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

The President gave the directive to the Nigerian Armed Forces and security agencies in an angry response to Thursday’s attacks on the multi-million dollar Bonga and Pennington Oil Fields of the Shell Petroleum Development Company. In a clear departure from the prevailing practice of handling the militants with ‘kid gloves,’ Yar’Adua said his government would not shirk from its constitutional responsibility for law and order, and safety of lives and property across the country.

Yar’Adua therefore directed the Armed Forces and security agencies to take all necessary actions to apprehend the militants behind the attack, which he described as “national sabotage.” The President condemned the attack through his Special Adviser on Communication, Mr. Olusegun Adeniyi, who addressed newsmen in the State House.

The Nigerian Armed Forces and other relevant outfits were also directed to beef up security at all oil facilities to forestall further attacks. The Presidency said militant activities were undermining efforts aimed at addressing the huge developmental challenges in the oil rich Niger Delta region.

“The President has further directed that security be beefed up at all oil facilities and installations in the Niger Delta to forestall further acts of terrorism by criminal elements in the region.”

http://punchontheweb.com/article_comments.aspx?theartic=Art20080621011353
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by abdurrazaq(m): 11:02am On Jun 21, 2008
Hope this ends up well. Make this people no turn Naija to Iraq. God forbid bad thing
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by SkyBlue1: 11:11am On Jun 21, 2008
A very interesting development, so it begins . . . Here is hoping it will be swift and all the instigators and perpetrators behind the scenes and otherwise are brought to book. Odili and co, it is like there time is finally coming, i desperately hope.
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by SkyBlue1: 12:39pm On Jun 21, 2008
So is the "truth and reconciliation commission" in abuja going to continue while this is going on?
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by iseobio(m): 12:45pm On Jun 21, 2008
YARADUA is the most stupid idiot I have ever seen. He needs to understand the psyche of the people of the Niger delta before he can declare war. Instead of solving the problem he believes he will fight them to a standstill. Nigeria will becaome ungovernable. i pity the poor folks. If only the fat nigerian politicians were made to carry the guns and fight the militants or Yaradua should mount his horse and lead the army, then I will wish him the best and pray he succeeds to perpetuate total injustice.
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by SkyBlue1: 12:52pm On Jun 21, 2008
@iseobio are you sure you have followed the whoe issue? Shell was banished from Ogoni land in the Niger Delta and the Ogoni people never took up arms or do any kidnapping etc. Those were people fighting out of real grievances, these so called "freedom fighters" please explain to me how they are fighting for "the people" because i am really curious? Yaradua needs to understand the psyche of the people from the Niger Delta? The people who have had to endure kidnapping and huge insecurity? The people who have had to endure limitless curfews as a result of the actions of these militants? The people who have been killed by the so called "freedom fighters"? "Freedom fighters" who had actually been working with the government in the past to dish out electoral and political violence in the state in order to keep control and keep the people and opposition in fear? Are those the freedom fighters you speak of? What exactly do you think they are fighting for? No vague press release, just put it down for us.
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by skfa1: 12:53pm On Jun 21, 2008
Very soon now we go dey hear say so many people don die. Instead of settling all cases amicable now na war dey won dey fight. And the funniest thing be say na all those poor people wey dey stay for village go dey die, I just pity for dem.

@ my president

I do not expect war from you, you have been doing good.
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by SkyBlue1: 12:54pm On Jun 21, 2008
@skfa 1, do you think there has been peace in the Niger Delta all this time?
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by skfa1: 12:58pm On Jun 21, 2008
Sky Blue:

@skfa 1, do you think there has been peace in the Niger Delta all this time?

No, no peace.
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by skfa1: 12:59pm On Jun 21, 2008
But what do you expect when there is another clash between soldier and millitants?
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by skfa1: 1:01pm On Jun 21, 2008
Nigeria has a long way to go in settling things amicably.
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by SkyBlue1: 1:01pm On Jun 21, 2008
This is not going to be childs play anymore, my only prayer is that all of the war or whatever is going to be will occur in the creeks and away from places with huge civilian population.
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by skfa1: 1:04pm On Jun 21, 2008
Of course the civilians are everywhere in Nigeria.
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by iseobio(m): 1:05pm On Jun 21, 2008
Sky Blue:

@iseobio are you sure you have followed the whoe issue? Shell was banished from Ogoni land in the Niger Delta and the Ogoni people never took up arms or do any kidnapping etc. Those were people fighting out of real grievances, these so called "freedom fighters" please explain to me how they are fighting for "the people" because i am really curious? Yaradua needs to understand the psyche of the people from the Niger Delta? The people who have had to endure kidnapping and huge insecurity? The people who have had to endure limitless curfews as a result of the actions of these militants? The people who have been killed by the so called "freedom fighters"? "Freedom fighters" who had actually been working with the government in the past to dish out electoral and political violence in the state in order to keep control and keep the people and opposition in fear? Are those the freedom fighters you speak of? What exactly do you think they are fighting for? No vague press release, just put it down for us.

Have you ever been to the Niger Delta before? the fact that not all the people are fighting does not mean that they are not giving tacit support. have u read the response of the INC (Ijaw national congress) to the attack on Bonga Oil field? What you percieved as criminal actions are they only way they can use to drive home the point they have been talking peacfully over the years with the government. Taking up arms, kidnapping is a way to show that they can bite as well. who first started it? Is it not because of killing of sara wiwa? that is when the niger delta people started advocating in a peaceful manner. There has been series of peaceful protest over the years from warri to Eket for a peaceful resolution of the problem. Do you know the impact of gas flaring alone on the income and resorces of th eniger delta people? How many times in a year have you or your dad had to change the zinc roof on his house because of gas flaring? tell me? to be honest if you were living there will you be happy to rplece your zince every three to six months yearly?
As for political thugs, they exist every where in nigeria. I know even in the North from intel information that during one of the elections one Alhaji in one of the states in the North West acquired sophisticated weapons for his thugs in lieu of the coming election. such is not a case specific to niger delta.
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by SkyBlue1: 1:11pm On Jun 21, 2008
@iseobo i think you are beginning to confuse issues here and genuinely no offence intended. Ken Saro Wiwa was from Ogoni. The people of Ogoni drove away shell from their land. This was done without militancy and kidnapping etc. These so called "freedom fighters" now in existence have been used by last governments to hold the state hostage. Simply put, touts were armed by a corrupt government and the guns could not be retrieved, there was actually a time when cults and militants and the likes where offered money to return their guns and they were promised that if they denounced such behaviour they won't be severely punished. Does that mean that there are no issues in the Niger Delta to deal with like gas flaring and environmental degradation? Absolutely not so don't read what i am not saying. Billions in state derivation and the likes was issued to Rivers state every month for how many years and what was done with the money by the state government? And now all of a sudden it is the fundamental fault of the federal government? there are problems sure,  however these people have used that issue to play cowboys and indians with there toys and all to the detriment of peace for their own people they claim to be fighting for. So since when did kidnapping babies and asking for ransom forward the movement?
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by iseobio(m): 1:21pm On Jun 21, 2008
Sky Blue:

@iseobo i think you are beginning to confuse issues here and genuinely no offence intended. Ken Saro Wiwa was from Ogoni. The people of Ogoni drove away shell from their land. This was done without militancy and kidnapping etc. These so called "freedom fighters" now in existence have been used by last governments to hold the state hostage. Simply put, touts were armed by a corrupt government and the guns could not be retrieved, there was actually a time when cults and militants and the likes where offered money to return their guns and they were promised that if they denounced such behaviour they won't be severely punished. Does that mean that there are no issues in the Niger Delta to deal with like gas flaring and environmental degradation? Absolutely not so don't read what i am not saying. Billions in state derivation and the likes was issued to Rivers state every month for how many years and what was done with the money by the state government? And now all of a sudden it is the fundamental fault of the federal government? there are problems sure, however these people have used that issue to play cowboys and indians with there toys and all to the detriment of peace for their own people they claim to be fighting for. So since when did kidnapping babies and asking for ransom forward the movement?

I don't support kidnapping of babies. I believe such actions must be cautioned. but , again one must be careful on how we tread blames. the JTF is also harassing innocent people, raping and killing people, and the so called yaradua has not been able to stop such actions. he wants it to continue. so when you blame these hooligans give them some compassion and also blame the federal goverment as well. Is it not thesame Yaradua that armed the youths so that he can win the elcetion? Is it not PDP? I think we should do a roott-cause analysis. you will be shocked to find out that the problem emanated from Yaradua and his PDP but it is now too difficult for him to contain.
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by SkyBlue1: 1:27pm On Jun 21, 2008
Yaradua armed militants? LOL, that is an interesting take on the issue. Why not listen to all the accusations and counter accusations coming out of the truth and reconcilitation committee? Considering that this issue is not new and that it predates Yaradua i wonder how all of a sudden Yaradua is the fundamental problem. I am sure JTF is also wreaking havock in the state but instead of making it a JTF versus militants issue why not just look at it from the side of the people? These militants are a nuissance. If the issue is resolved once and for all won't that mean that the JTF can finally vacate the area? My whole problem with this thing is how such criminals have been allowed to roam for all this time. This thing has dragged on for too long, abeg enough is enough and all this while people have been uffering, kidnappings have been rampant, there has been serious insecurity in the are, it is just enough. And hopefull the people behind the scenes would also be brought to book. This is just one big mess that has gone on for too long.
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by abdurrazaq(m): 1:34pm On Jun 21, 2008
My fear is that this does not generate into what is not palnned for like taking the fight to the level of securing permanent freedom form Nigeria as a whole (by the Niger-Delta region). I can't just imagine what will be going on in the mind of the masses out there now.
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by iseobio(m): 1:37pm On Jun 21, 2008
Sky Blue:

Yaradua armed militants? LOL, that is an interesting take on the issue. Why not listen to all the accusations and counter accusations coming out of the truth and reconcilitation committee? Considering that this issue is not new and that it predates Yaradua i wonder how all of a sudden Yaradua is the fundamental problem. I am sure JTF is also wreaking havock in the state but instead of making it a JTF versus militants issue why not just look at it from the side of the people? These militants are a nuissance. If the issue is resolved once and for all won't that mean that the JTF can finally vacate the area? My whole problem with this thing is how such criminals have been allowed to roam for all this time. This thing has dragged on for too long, abeg enough is enough and all this while people have been uffering, kidnappings have been rampant, there has been serious insecurity in the are, it is just enough. And hopefull the people behind the scenes would also be brought to book. This is just one big mess that has gone on for too long.

it is true that these arming of the youths predates Yaradua. But his party PDP has been one of the major players in the procurement of arms for elections. If he (Yaradua) were that sincere, why did he not speak out.? why did he not tell INEC that he does not accept the results form tne NIGER DELTA becaue it was obtained with human blood? Or is he unaware of the what was going on? Even when he was the governor he had full knowledge. He should have left the party for another one as some did.
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by SkyBlue1: 1:40pm On Jun 21, 2008
@iseobo sorry but it seems you might be desperately trying to shift blame here. What election came first, state or federal?
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by iseobio(m): 1:41pm On Jun 21, 2008
abdurrazaq:

My fear is that this does not generate into what is not palnned for like taking the fight to the level of securing permanent freedom form Nigeria as a whole (by the Niger-Delta region). I can't just imagine what will be going on in the mind of the masses out there now.

that will be horrible, I have not thought about that. But hopefully it will not reach that stage. I think Yaradua is just angry. He better watch his step. I think they are other international players who would like that to happen. Already they are helping the militants by buying bunkered oil.
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by iseobio(m): 1:45pm On Jun 21, 2008
Sky Blue:

@iseobo sorry but it seems you might be desperately trying to shift blame here. What election came first, state or federal?

whichever came first, thesame machinery was used for Yaradua's election. Odili and others who were aspiring for presidency then stepped down for yaradua and promised to give him all their support. it is not hidden that the likes of Ibori was a major financier of Yaradua's elcetion and everybody knows Ibori was using the militants or whatever they are to perpertuate his cause. same applies to all the other governors.
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by SkyBlue1: 1:48pm On Jun 21, 2008
So how does it become a matter of ignoring all the intigators at the state level and then going to blame federal government and Yaradua? What about lagos that was not won by PDP? They did not have touts or what? It is like ignoring the man who is burning your house and then going to fight with the one peeing on your lawn.
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by iseobio(m): 1:55pm On Jun 21, 2008
yes the states are to blame. but Yaradua should have shown by example that he is not a party to such votes. If he really meant his rule of law from the inception. But he is busy defending his iil-gotten mandate in the court. Why cant he fish out those that sponsored the criminals in all the states? Or are these people his political Godfathers.? All the truth and reconcialliaton committee is a waste of time and is frivolous. Why does the committee has to travel to Abuja to hear from Odili and Omehia? why can't yaradua tell them to go to where they were causing problem? He is just such an inept leader.
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by ifyalways(f): 2:00pm On Jun 21, 2008
i hope this ends amicably.enough blood have been shed already.
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by abdurrazaq(m): 2:07pm On Jun 21, 2008
And they are still willing to shed more to control the activities of the millitants. This is pathetic, the president should find other means of tackling this problem because these millitants are not seemed to be moved by any threat from the government. I just pity the helpless citizens trapped in that region now. After all these years of sufferings, war is another tragedy that may likely befall them. sad
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by redsun(m): 2:19pm On Jun 21, 2008
Only a stupid man cuts a weed from the middle,kill the weed from the root.

He should declare war on the mismanagement of of nigeria oil fund,CORRUPTION then every other thing shapes up.It is like trying to preserve water with a basket.
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by bilymuse: 4:08pm On Jun 21, 2008
Its useless declaration from a sick man.
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by willy4: 4:06pm On Jun 24, 2008
bilymuse:

Its useless declaration from a sick man.
yeah, the stupid Al-Qaeda trained Moslem Nigeria President.
Nigerians didn't know that in 1988 Yar'adua trained in Al-Qaeda camp at Afghanistan.
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by noetic(m): 4:11pm On Jun 24, 2008
willy*2:

Nigerians didn't know that in 1988 Yar'adua trained in Al-Qaeda camp at Afghanistan.
uhmn willyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy grin
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by abdurrazaq(m): 5:46pm On Jun 24, 2008
willy*2:

Please can you tell me, which Yar'Adua - the late or the current one?
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by yemmight(m): 5:48pm On Jun 24, 2008
How far can he go?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

video people in delta region and even in River state claim they are not Igbo / BIAFRA: South-south Group Kicks Against Secession - Dailytimes / Kenyan President Ruto Congratulates Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.