Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,087 members, 7,818,262 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:23 AM

Oranyan Was Never A King In Ile-ife, Says Alaafin Of Oyo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oranyan Was Never A King In Ile-ife, Says Alaafin Of Oyo (4526 Views)

Dele Momodu Is Next Ooni Of Ife, Says Nigerian Pastor In Ghana / Alaafin Of Oyo & His Wives Cause A Stir At Abuja Airport (photos) / 2015 Polls: Tinubu Fits Into Awolowo’s Shoes, Says Alaafin’s Aide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oranyan Was Never A King In Ile-ife, Says Alaafin Of Oyo by miqos02(m): 10:55am On Sep 18, 2013
The controversy between Oyo and Ile-Ife in Oyo and Osun states over the celebration of Oranyan festival resurfaced last weekend as Alaafin of Oyo, Oba Lamidi Olayiwola Adeyemi III declared that the legendary Oranyan was not in any of the four ruling/royal lineages of Ile-Ife as being claimed by Oni of Ife.

The two Yoruba towns had engaged in controversies over which of them had the right to hold the festival in view of the relationship of the legend with them.

Ile-Ife had insisted that Oyo had no right celebrating the Oranyan festival without seeking approval from its monarch, the Ooni of Ife, Oba Okunade Sijuwade, Olubuse 11.

But Oba Adeyemi, who instituted the festival in 2012, argued that there was no other place central to the celebration of Oranyan festival than his kingdom, Oyo, where he said Oranyan once ruled as the monarch, a fact that made him a direct offspring of the legend as against Ile-Ife.

While speaking at Aganju Fore Court of the ancient palace of the Alaafin, during the grand finale of the 2013 edition of the festival, Oba Adeyemi maintained that there was no way the people of Ile-Ife could lay claim to Oranyan as the Oyo because, he was never a monarch in Ile-Ife the way he did in Oyo.

He described as falsification of facts, the claim that Oranyan ruled in Ile-Ife, noting that to further rubbish such claim, was the disclosure by some that he was the second king of Ile-Ife while in another breath, he was said to be the fourth king.

Alaafin said nothing could be farther from the truth than such claim, stressing that without mischief, none of the four ruling houses in Ile-Ife could claim to have been the descendant of Oranyan, “whereas, in our case, in the ancient Oyo town, Oranyan was our progenitor as one of our founding fathers.

“But we will not in anyway diminish from the fact that he was the founder of Oyo Kingdom.”

The grand finale of the week-long celebration attended by traditional rulers from across the Yorubaland and the Republic of Benin as well as top government functionaries, led by the state Deputy Governor, Moses Adeyemi witnessed diverse cultural displays and festival lecture.

sunnewsonline.com
Re: Oranyan Was Never A King In Ile-ife, Says Alaafin Of Oyo by IleIfe2(m): 11:03am On Sep 18, 2013
Clap for your self OP. tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Oranyan Was Never A King In Ile-ife, Says Alaafin Of Oyo by miqos02(m): 11:16am On Sep 18, 2013
Ile-Ife:
Clap for your self OP. tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
how do you mean?
Re: Oranyan Was Never A King In Ile-ife, Says Alaafin Of Oyo by musaajebor(m): 11:18am On Sep 18, 2013
But the staff of oranmiyan is in ife.we need to document our yoruba history collectively
Re: Oranyan Was Never A King In Ile-ife, Says Alaafin Of Oyo by Nobody: 11:19am On Sep 18, 2013
OK we have heard. Very soon the Alaafin would demand that the Staff(obelisk) of oranmiyan be relocated to the new oyo. Thank you Alaafin tongue
Re: Oranyan Was Never A King In Ile-ife, Says Alaafin Of Oyo by ichidodo: 11:39am On Sep 18, 2013
Yes he was never a king even though Ile Ife was his birth place and death place.But his legacy where the Oyo and Benin Monarchies.
Re: Oranyan Was Never A King In Ile-ife, Says Alaafin Of Oyo by AkinDavid2: 11:40am On Sep 18, 2013
miqos02: The controversy between Oyo and Ile-Ife in Oyo and Osun states over the celebration of Oranyan festival resurfaced last weekend as Alaafin of Oyo, Oba Lamidi Olayiwola Adeyemi 111 declared that the legendary Oranyan was not in any of the four ruling/royal lineages of Ile-Ife as being claimed by Oni of Ife.

@OP kindly change 111 to III at first read I thought you meant one hundred and eleven.
Re: Oranyan Was Never A King In Ile-ife, Says Alaafin Of Oyo by miqos02(m): 11:52am On Sep 18, 2013
Akin-David:

@OP kindly change 111 to III at first read I thought you meant one hundred and eleven.
fixed
Re: Oranyan Was Never A King In Ile-ife, Says Alaafin Of Oyo by Nobody: 1:58am On Sep 19, 2013
I don't know what the Alaafin stands to gain from throwing jabs at Ooni and Royal houses in Ile-Ife.
Understood he was a boxer but does this culminate into wanting to throw verbal punches since he longer practices is trade of eshe jija?
Oranmiyan was born in Ile-Ife, founded Benin then Oyo and returned to Ile-Ife where he ruled then died.
If Oyo wants to lay claim to Oranmiyan festival then Benin should also be able to lay claim.
Anyways, Moremi festival is celebrated in Ile-Ife and Offa respectively, Oyo can celebrate Oranmiyan while Ile-Ife does too without verbal punches being thrown around.

5 Likes

Re: Oranyan Was Never A King In Ile-ife, Says Alaafin Of Oyo by Xfactoria: 5:23am On Sep 19, 2013
9jacrip: I don't know what the Alaafin stands to gain from throwing jabs at Ooni and Royal houses in Ile-Ife.
Understood he was a boxer but does this culminate into wanting to throw verbal punches since he longer practices is trade of eshe jija?
Oranmiyan was born in Ile-Ife, founded Benin then Oyo and returned to Ile-Ife where he ruled then died.
If Oyo wants to lay claim to Oranmiyan festival then Benin should also be able to lay claim.
Anyways, Moremi festival is celebrated in Ile-Ife and Offa respectively, Oyo can celebrate Oranmiyan while Ile-Ife does too without verbal punches being thrown around.

Well said bro. The man is still struggling to grapple with the collapse of the Oyo Empire and the liberation of many Yoruba nations afterwards. It is his life long wish to see Oyo return to reckoning and reign over all Yorubas not minding this is the 21st century where "eyes don open"!
Re: Oranyan Was Never A King In Ile-ife, Says Alaafin Of Oyo by lanrex101: 2:33am On Oct 27, 2013
@ MY PEOPLE . . . . . Don't mind those trying to rewrite their own history . . . . I wounder how Oranyan founded Bini Empire. . . . . . This people are doing this in favour of Ooni, whereas Ooni's never a descendant of this legend (ORANYAN) so he has no right to celebrate him . . . . .the only place central for the celebration is Oyo town, Nigeria as mandated by his True Blood (IMPERIAL MAJESTY, OBA DR. LAMIDI OLAYIWOLA ATANDA ADEYEMI III, ALAAFIN OF OYO) . . . . . Oranyan founded Oyo and became its first alaafin . . . . Check here for more

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oranyan

And for those ignorants saying how come Oranyan Staff being situated at Ife. . . . .
The reason was that after he had ruled for years in Oyo he founded, he became old and went back to his father (ODUDUWA) house in Ife where he later died and a Staff was being erected there in remembrance of him . . . . . . . I WOUNDER HOW THE ORANYAN STAFF IS SITUATED IN THE BUSH . . . .BECAUSE IT'S NOT IN TODAY'S "IFE" PALACE
"All of you can research on where the staff is "
IF I TELL YOU THAT;
THE ANCIENT "IFE" HAS BEEN SHIFTED FROM WHERE THE POLE WAS ERECTED
SOME MAY NOT BELIEVE IT.
Any way, there's no need for people to be deceiving those that knows the history of Yoruba . . .
I think we all heard about Oyo Empire.

Have you ever heard about "Ife Empire" in Yoruba history

Oranyan Belong to Oyo according to Yoruba history and
we all heard about the seven children of Oduduwa. . .

2 Likes

Re: Oranyan Was Never A King In Ile-ife, Says Alaafin Of Oyo by tpia5: 2:50am On Oct 27, 2013
nairaland is being monitored by 40 laptops in Isreal I'm sure.
Re: Oranyan Was Never A King In Ile-ife, Says Alaafin Of Oyo by isalegan2: 3:33am On Oct 27, 2013
miqos02: . . While speaking at Aganju Fore Court of the ancient palace of the Alaafin, during the grand finale of the 2013 edition of the festival, . . .

. . .The grand finale of the week-long celebration attended by traditional rulers from across the Yorubaland and the Republic of Benin as well as top government functionaries, led by the state Deputy Governor, Moses Adeyemi witnessed diverse cultural displays and festival lecture.

sunnewsonline.com

Pictures, or it didn't happen!
Re: Oranyan Was Never A King In Ile-ife, Says Alaafin Of Oyo by isalegan2: 3:38am On Oct 27, 2013
Akin-David:

9jacrip: I don't know what the Alaafin stands to gain from throwing jabs at Ooni and Royal houses in Ile-Ife.

I would take this "reporting" with a grain of salt. Sun News is a tabloid, not journalism.
Re: Oranyan Was Never A King In Ile-ife, Says Alaafin Of Oyo by Nobody: 3:46am On Oct 27, 2013
isale_gan2:

I would take this "reporting" with a grain of salt. Sun News is a tabloid, not journalism.

LOL cheesy cheesy
Re: Oranyan Was Never A King In Ile-ife, Says Alaafin Of Oyo by IleIfe2(m): 4:01am On Oct 27, 2013
lanrex101: @ MY PEOPLE . . . . . Don't mind those trying to rewrite their own history . . . . I wounder how Oranyan founded Bini Empire. . . . . . This people are doing this in favour of Ooni, whereas Ooni's never a descendant of this legend (ORANYAN) so he has no right to celebrate him . . . . .the only place central for the celebration is Oyo town, Nigeria as mandated by his True Blood (IMPERIAL MAJESTY, OBA DR. LAMIDI OLAYIWOLA ATANDA ADEYEMI III, ALAAFIN OF OYO) . . . . . Oranyan founded Oyo and became its first alaafin . . . . Check here for more

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oranyan

And for those ignorants saying how come Oranyan Staff being situated at Ife. . . . .
The reason was that after he had ruled for years in Oyo he founded, he became old and went back to his father (ODUDUWA) house in Ife where he later died and a Staff was being erected there in remembrance of him . . . . . . . I WOUNDER HOW THE ORANYAN STAFF IS SITUATED IN THE BUSH . . . .BECAUSE IT'S NOT IN TODAY'S "IFE" PALACE
"All of you can research on where the staff is "
IF I TELL YOU THAT;
THE ANCIENT "IFE" HAS BEEN SHIFTED FROM WHERE THE POLE WAS ERECTED
SOME MAY NOT BELIEVE IT.
Any way, there's no need for people to be deceiving those that knows the history of Yoruba . . .
I think we all heard about Oyo Empire.

Have you ever heard about "Ife Empire" in Yoruba history

Oranyan Belong to Oyo according to Yoruba history and
we all heard about the seven children of Oduduwa. . .

Yorubas don't talk like that, "MY PEOPLE". That's an Armoured BMW people thing. "My Pepu". You slipped. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Oranyan Was Never A King In Ile-ife, Says Alaafin Of Oyo by tpia5: 4:08am On Oct 27, 2013
yorubas dont keep referring to their men's diccks in public either.

another slip of tongue or finger.
Re: Oranyan Was Never A King In Ile-ife, Says Alaafin Of Oyo by seunfly: 6:10am On Oct 27, 2013
Op what is ds topic doing in politic section? Is it not suppose to be in culture. Moderator please help us move it to cultural section b4 people politicise it. Thanks
Re: Oranyan Was Never A King In Ile-ife, Says Alaafin Of Oyo by AbewelaRoyal: 6:12pm On Jan 04, 2015
The plain truth is that Oranmiyan was the Fourth Ooni of Ife and the biological father of all the 4 Ruling Houses in Ile Ife. Ooni is a direct descendant of Oduduwa.

(1) (Reply)

This Fact Will Prove To U That Nobody Can Beat Buhari In Kano State Nt Evn Rmk / Sallah: Yobe Government Places 12-Hour Ban On Vehicular Movements / Enugu LGA Chairmen Deny Going Into Hiding Because Of EFCC Officials

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.