Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,309 members, 7,822,534 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:29 PM

Best School For Masters Degree In The UK? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Best School For Masters Degree In The UK? (45044 Views)

OOU Best Graduating student: My Sister Stopped School For Me To Graduate / French Classes In Abuja: The Best School To Study And Learn In Abuja / How To Study In Europe With Free Tuition Fees For Masters Degree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Best School For Masters Degree In The UK? by Nobody: 6:43pm On Jun 21, 2008
Best Choice For Masters Degree In The Uk

can anyone offer advice based on facts and experience on the best school in the UK to go for masters considering the following;
1.Tuition fee of not more than 8500pounds
2.Proximity to london
3.And admission with a 2:2
4.Business Management related course

I need to make a decision before the end of june/july as i want to meet the september admission batch.Your efforts would be highly appreciated and please does one have to register through the UCAS thing?
Re: Best School For Masters Degree In The UK? by hunter777(m): 8:44pm On Jun 22, 2008
u can apply to University of Portsmouth. As an international student,u're entitled to a discount of 10% on ur tuition fees (cost of business related courses for 2008/09 is 8800 pounds and 14,500 for MBA International), Portsmouth is two and a half hours from london and cost of living is also cheaper than in london.admission is 2.2 for business management courses and 2.1 for MBA.
You dont need to apply through UCAS cos u're a postgraduate student.All u need do is apply to the school through their representatives in Nigeria, Glory Educational Services,3rd floor centage plaza,allen avenue,ikeja,lagos.
Good luck

1 Like

Re: Best School For Masters Degree In The UK? by onuigbo: 11:08pm On Jun 22, 2008
Try Durham University.
Re: Best School For Masters Degree In The UK? by onuigbo: 11:12pm On Jun 22, 2008
Try Durham University. Am presently studying here already, so i know what am talking about. The scool is highly rated here in UK. Nigerian students here are few not like other UK universities were u cannot differentiate between niger and yankee,

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Best School For Masters Degree In The UK? by Sagamite(m): 6:13am On Jun 23, 2008
Take a look at this thread:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-141689.0.html

And do some research to match your criteria.
Re: Best School For Masters Degree In The UK? by 702: 8:11am On Jun 23, 2008
dudes the main thin u shud b concerned about is UK grad employment , that is afta ur masters will dere b a job 4 u,
The best is Napier University in Edinburgh but itz kinda a lil' bit higher like 9250 4 Classroom based course 4 sciences
The Good thin' is dat dey av a 95% of grad employment afta ur msc while oda skuls gotta 65% down so it wud b wise 2 consider d aftermath.
Itz top 10 4 UK grad employmnt!!!
If u can't pay,
Go thru Bank PHB UK loan is tait!

U cud apply directly!!!

1 Like

Re: Best School For Masters Degree In The UK? by Nobody: 9:32am On Jun 23, 2008
hey guys,ur contributions hav been valuable.I'm in abuja n wld prefer nt to go tru any of thoseeducational agencies cos most r scams n theres no reason at times wen u cn jst go online.More suggestions r welcome anyway.
Re: Best School For Masters Degree In The UK? by chubistone: 12:18pm On Jun 23, 2008
Well look no futher. Havent u heard of 'University of bedfordshire' (formerly called university of luton). Its were u'll find the most number of nigerian students in the uk. Its 30mins from london by train, Its a lot cheaper in terms of tution, housing, admission, etc. try www.beds.ac.uk .Hope to be there myself soon.

1 Like

Re: Best School For Masters Degree In The UK? by Nobody: 6:50pm On Jun 24, 2008
I tried applying with bedforshire and they said i shld c their naija rep,sure they'l b charging lots of money there so that may b out of it, still researchin though
Re: Best School For Masters Degree In The UK? by Sagamite(m): 8:47am On Jun 25, 2008
If you go to any of the two universities mentioned above, make sure that you have a structured plan to go back to Nigeria for a job as you will struggle to get a good job in the UK.

Except you are happy to get a job in little towns or jobs that are in low paying, small workforce businesses. You can practically almost forget high profile jobs with global brands in the UK.

I hope you know that getting a job as a cashier in a bank or petrol station assistant is regarded in those surveys as a job and that makes the likes of Napier say their graduates get employed immediately.
Re: Best School For Masters Degree In The UK? by Nobody: 6:51pm On Jun 26, 2008
sagamite,strictly in terms of employability with the big firms,which r ur top ten preferred?all other factors not considered.tnx
Re: Best School For Masters Degree In The UK? by Sagamite(m): 2:11am On Jun 30, 2008
Top Ten for Business Courses (without restriction)
Cambridge
Oxford
Imperial
LSE
City
Warwick
Bradford
Aston
KCL
Nottingham

Top Ten for Business Courses (Under 2 hours from London)
Cambridge
Oxford
Imperial
LSE
City
Warwick
Aston
KCL
Birmingham
Reading

Top Ten for Business Courses (Under 2 hours from London and with a 2:2)
*This universities might probably consider a 2:2. But you never know you could try others above. The worst they would say is NO.
Aston
Reading
East Anglia
Sussex
Royal Holloway
Surrey
Brunel
Essex
QMW
Kingston

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Best School For Masters Degree In The UK? by Nobody: 8:36pm On Jul 01, 2008
I think after wide consultations i've narrowed my choice to two schools,stirling and westminster for a number of reasons.Does anyone knw when it would be late for registration for the september session?
Re: Best School For Masters Degree In The UK? by Sagamite(m): 5:15am On Jul 03, 2008
They are not horrible choices and you will get a better quality of education than you will get in any Nigerian university.

If you choose Westminster, remember the ridiculous high cost of living in London.

If I were you, I would just jejely go to Stirling but you go chop oyinbo food tire as e go dey hard to get African shops. It is just for one year.
Re: Best School For Masters Degree In The UK? by Nobody: 2:08pm On Jul 03, 2008
This thing don tire me o,its not easy at all.And i heard gettin a part-time job in london isnt easy to come by even as a student but then scotland could be so quiet and lonely,especially stirling.Back2 square 1
Re: Best School For Masters Degree In The UK? by Nobody: 2:11pm On Jul 03, 2008
4got to add;sagamite,u'll get an award when i get my msc 'pali'.do u work 4 any educational agency?
Re: Best School For Masters Degree In The UK? by aruako1: 3:27pm On Jul 03, 2008
Scotland is not too bad. The Scots are very warm and friendly people. The quality of life is very high in Scotland and the cost of living is low. Striling is a small beautiful historic town which is just 30 mins from Edinburgh (where i lived for nearly 3 years until last September). Contrary to what many people think scotland has a very vibrant Naija community. This is not just your usual London 'anything goes' and often stingy crowd. The Naija peeps in Scotland are more welcoming focused and friendly. Unfortunately i cant tell you much about the school itself.
Re: Best School For Masters Degree In The UK? by sucess001(m): 5:16pm On Jul 03, 2008
check out albion college, its pretty cheap,
Re: Best School For Masters Degree In The UK? by Kokofi(m): 7:46pm On Jul 04, 2008
hey guyz i have really benefitted from your contribution so far, i jus applied to Aberdeen in scotland, am expecting their unconditional letter of acceptance letter very soon.pls is there anybody out there who can give me an insight of what the city of Aberdeen is from the Niger perspective? cos i intend benefiting from their fresh talent scheme after my one year postgraduate studies. thanks

1 Like

Re: Best School For Masters Degree In The UK? by Sagamite(m): 12:37pm On Jul 06, 2008
ctrume:

4got to add;sagamite,u'll get an award when i get my msc 'pali'.do u work 4 any educational agency?

No, I work in an investment bank doing "business strategy".

The reason I know all this stuff is because I was diligent enough to ask the "why" questions when I was doing my A-levels in the UK. I don't just consume what parties feed me, I have to ask "why" to filter their facts and see which one is solid or porous.

"Why" do some universities require you to have 3 'A's whilst some require 2 'D's and an 'E' despite both of them claiming to be good?

"Why" do companies go to some universities and don't go to others to recruit?

"Why" do job adverts in the Financial Times for jobs that pay over £100K per annum normally set as criteria that you should have graduated from a Redbrick university?

These kind of questions and inquisitiveness led me to do research into the answers. I knew doing the easy stuff that everybody else can do would never give one an advantage in life as you are just another unit from the mass production factory. I always look to do the hard stuff that makes you stand out.

I know of much more academic excellent acquintances than myself that went to low quality universities. I decided it has to be a Redbrick university or I can as well forget about it.

This is why I don't respect people just because they have 1st class this or that, Phd, MPhil whatever. You must also show me you are street smart (i.e. ability to observe your environment and life, not just read and regurgitate text books).

After university, I decided I had to be employed as an investment banker or as a management consultant because of my analytical skills and because these were the top 2 hardest career lines to get employed in for a graduate. I don't regret all these decisions til today. So don't do anything you will regret because you did not do your research. The only thing that should stop you is constraints beyond your control e.g. finance, previous academic history etc.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Best School For Masters Degree In The UK? by Sagamite(m): 12:47pm On Jul 06, 2008
aruako1:

Scotland is not too bad. The Scots are very warm and friendly people. The quality of life is very high in Scotland and the cost of living is low. Striling is a small beautiful historic town which is just 30 mins from Edinburgh (where i lived for nearly 3 years until last September). Contrary to what many people think scotland has a very vibrant Naija community. This is not just your usual London 'anything goes' and often stingy crowd. The Naija peeps in Scotland are more welcoming focused and friendly. Unfortunately i can't tell you much about the school itself.

These are great points.

Scottish people are very NICE. I have been there 3 times and they are always so cool (as long as you don't go to the ghettos of Glasgow, some drug heads exist there grin). Don't wear Celtic or Ranger jersey in Glasgow as if you stray to one's area whilst wearing the other rival's jersey, you go hear ween. Although you are more likely to be assualted if you were English than if you were Black (seriously grin). Dem get there own Ajegunle style in Glasgow, it is like the black sheep of Scotland. Everywhere else in Scotland is cool and people are exceptionally NICE. I like them a lot.

I am a UK citizen and would be regarded as English by the government. Honestly, I pray most times I can claim Scottish.  grin

And their quality of life is much better. Their economy is almost as strong and growing despite a small population (just check out the number of Scotland-based companies in the FTSE 100). Also their students get virtually free university education whilst the English pay through their nose by acquiring debt.

The only problem is winter cold. E dey bite!
Re: Best School For Masters Degree In The UK? by Sagamite(m): 12:52pm On Jul 06, 2008
sucess001:

check out albion college, its pretty cheap,

angry You can as well go to your nearest Feyingbole Adult Educational centre in Ondo state.

So when you were doing your research, the only criterium you set yourself was "cheap"?

Why don't you just go to Alaba market and get a teacher there to teach you, it would be much, much cheaper. grin
Re: Best School For Masters Degree In The UK? by Sagamite(m): 1:02pm On Jul 06, 2008
Kokofi:

hey guys i have really benefitted from your contribution so far, i jus applied to Aberdeen in scotland, am expecting their unconditional letter of acceptance letter very soon.please is there anybody out there who can give me an insight of what the city of Aberdeen is from the Niger perspective? because i intend benefiting from their fresh talent scheme after my one year postgraduate studies. thanks

Aberdeen is full of Naija people mostly doing postgraduate degrees or working in the oil sector.

I know 6 people there that are not even close friends and I don't know 2 people in Birmingham and Manchester that are supposedly the seond and third biggest cities by population.

And the university is above average and probably top 5 for oil based courses. Also it would be very easy to get a job there once you finish as oil-related companies based locally (a lot of them exist) recruit actively in the university, so it is a good choice.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Best School For Masters Degree In The UK? by DisGuy: 9:47pm On Jul 06, 2008
ctrume:

This thing don tire me o,its not easy at all.[b]And i heard gettin a part-time job in london isnt easy to come by even as a [/b]student but then scotland could be so quiet and lonely,especially stirling.Back2 square 1

see nowhere and nothing is easy so you better man up and stop looking for Mr. easy, remember you are not the only student coming from naija, thousands are coming from india, pakistan, ghana and so on, you all have equal chance of getting a part time job as a student. It likes everywhere else you dont get things on a plate of gold you need some effort

Try Reading or Aston from the list above!! go full throttle stop dithering or else this September will just come n go!
Re: Best School For Masters Degree In The UK? by Ehido(m): 6:53am On Jul 07, 2008
SALAGMITE,

You are a good man thanks for your free consultations. I need your advice, I am torn between newcastle for offshore engineering and Aberdeen for subsea engineering, which is more prestigious amongst employers? and which one has a higher ranking? I know newcastle is more expensive than aberdeen.

1 Like

Re: Best School For Masters Degree In The UK? by Nobody: 8:00am On Jul 07, 2008
Oga sagamite and others,nw i think the fees wldnt b such a big problem(cs the difference hadnt been more than 2000pounds generally which shldnt stand in my way of gettin a good future)i dnt knw about the previous educational records sha cos my 2:2, which ones r d redbrick schools especially for the management courses which i am interested in,r they the ones in the top tens u listed.And some people r saying i rather wait(i dnt knw for how long)to get a job b4 travelling for studies even wen the good jobs r not easily in sight but i knw i may hav to gain a year experience in the uk which cld b valuable and make up 4 d suffer head work i would have done in nigeria.Surrey,sussex and stirling r havin interviews and admissions in abuja next week,i think i would js wait till then before final decisions r taken.
Re: Best School For Masters Degree In The UK? by urstruly1: 1:58pm On Jul 07, 2008
Hello fellow Nairalanders,

Please I need an urgent advice, concerning my masters degree.

I have a B.Eng Chemical Engr. from a Nigerian Uni and I have offers from 2 Universities in the Uk - London South Bank university(msc petroleum engr.) and University of Surrey (msc process systems engr.),

I prefer to study petroleum engr. but i'm hearing so much negative feedback about london south bank university,

I know that Surrey is highly ranked, i've seen so many university rankings, but do they really matter that much

Please if there's anyone who went to any of the schools should kindly fill me in about the job prospects post graduation,
whether or not any major companies go to recruit in the schools,

I know that some multinational oil companies go to some universities to recruit Nigerians and bring them back home to work, schools like Robert Gordon, Heriot Watt, Imperial etc, that's exactly what I am looking, I just want to know if the same applies for London south bank and also Surrey,

your input will be highly appreciated, thanks alot,

Sagamite, since u reside in London, u might want to give ur own point of view, thanks

1 Like

Re: Best School For Masters Degree In The UK? by DisGuy: 4:33pm On Jul 07, 2008
I know that some multinational oil companies go to some universities to recruit Nigerians and bring them back home to work, schools like Robert Gordon, Heriot Watt, Imperial etc, that's exactly what I am looking, I just want to know if the same applies for London south bank and also Surrey,

companies tend to go to universities that have departments or links with the industry they are in, and in some cases go to universities that have programmes that relate to their industry when they are invited for open days and seminars, some lecturers have links with these companies or might be getting funding from them so they might just visit schools in south.

Another thing is, there are open days almost every quarter for all university students where hundreds of companies participate, so you are always free to go there.

you might want to ask people working in the oil industry in nigeria how they got their job or start a thread about ex-students of these schools- RGU, HW, Imperial and so on so they might discuss the recruitment activities
Re: Best School For Masters Degree In The UK? by Sagamite(m): 6:32pm On Jul 07, 2008
Ehido:

SALAGMITE,

You are a good man thanks for your free consultations. I need your advice, I am torn between newcastle for offshore engineering and Aberdeen for subsea engineering, which is more prestigious amongst employers? and which one has a higher ranking? I know newcastle is more expensive than aberdeen.

Newcastle is a better university overall but Aberdeen is a strong university for oil and exploration related courses and also quite a good university. The gap between the 2 universities is not that great overall.

If you want to stay in the exploration and oil sector, I would advise you go to Aberdeen. The city of Aberdeen is like the Port Harcourt of the UK as it has a lot of oil firms operating there and these firms recruit actively in the university due to its reputation in their areas of interest and proximity. It acts as a skills feeder to the industry. You will struggle to see any other university that would provide you such easy access to these firms.

If you plan to branch into other professions soon, Newcastle might be a better idea. It is virtually a Redbrick university. The people in Newcastle are hot metrosexual dressers, so be ready to buy baffs to compete for chicks.  grin

1 Like

Re: Best School For Masters Degree In The UK? by Sagamite(m): 7:03pm On Jul 07, 2008
ctrume:

Oga sagamite and others,nw i think the fees wldnt b such a big problem(cs the difference hadnt been more than 2000pounds generally which shldnt stand in my way of gettin a good future)i dnt knw about the previous educational records sha because my 2:2, which ones r d redbrick schools especially for the management courses which i am interested in,r they the ones in the top tens u listed.And some people r saying i rather wait(i dnt knw for how long)to get a job before travelling for studies even when the good jobs r not easily in sight but i knw i may hav to gain a year experience in the uk which cld b valuable and make up 4 d suffer head work i would have done in nigeria.Surrey,sussex and stirling r havin interviews and admissions in abuja next week,i think i would js wait till then before final decisions r taken.

The reddest-bricks  grin universities are:
Cambridge
Oxford
Imperial
LSE
UCL
Bristol
Warwick
Edinburgh
Kings College london
Durham
Bath
St Andrews
York
Manchester
Nottingham
Sheffield

The virtually-redbrick universities are:
Lancaster
Birmingham
Southampton
Newcastle
Leeds

And for management courses refer to my list earlier because, for example, a place like King's College London hardly does anything in Business or management courses and City university (not redbrick) is very good at these courses and have similar access advantages with financial firms as I listed for Aberdeen above with oil and gas firms.

1 Like

Re: Best School For Masters Degree In The UK? by Sagamite(m): 7:21pm On Jul 07, 2008
urs truly:

Hello fellow Nairalanders,

Please I need an urgent advice, concerning my masters degree.

I have a B.Eng Chemical Engr. from a Nigerian Uni and I have offers from 2 Universities in the Uk - London South Bank university(msc petroleum engr.) and University of Surrey (msc process systems engr.),

I prefer to study petroleum engr. but i'm hearing so much negative feedback about london south bank university,

I know that Surrey is highly ranked, i've seen so many university rankings, but do they really matter that much

Please if there's anyone who went to any of the schools should kindly fill me in about the job prospects post graduation,
whether or not any major companies go to recruit in the schools,

your input will be highly appreciated, thanks alot,

Sagamite, since u reside in London, u might want to give your own point of view, thanks

Dis_Guy has given you a very good starting point.

To add to it, I doubt you will get the exposure you need to that industry from either university as they don't have a strong reputation in the subject area.

That said, Surrey is a good university and far better than South Bank which is a university catering a lot for older students so you get a lot of mature people but not a very academically rigourous or dynamic place to be.

This difference between the two would matter when looking for a job in the UK but I must say minimally. The reason I say this is that there is very few doors for interviews Surrey would open for you that South Bank would not open for you. The only difference is in the initial perceptions you radiate to interviewers. If you come in as a Surrey graduate the interviewers subconcious view of capability before he meets you is that you are likely to be a mediocre or above mediocre candidate. If you come as a South Bank candidate the same individual might subconciously place you in the below average or at best mediocre in intelligence candidate before they even meet or speak to you. This can work wonders when being interviewed as the interview process is largely subjective due to limited time and evidence to go through.

Its like you hearing a bag is made in Holland compared with one made in Peru. Which one would you first think must be better?

So you would likely have to work harder at the interview as a South Bank graduate to overturn subconcious perceptions of you.

1 Like

Re: Best School For Masters Degree In The UK? by Sagamite(m): 7:44pm On Jul 07, 2008
Just heard on the news that in some parts of Glasgow life expectancy is 62 years, same as Bangladesh.

That Glasgow na wa for Scotland. grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Photos: Only Those Who Went To Secondary School In Nigeria Will Understand This / Drone Images Of Osun State University, Osogbo. / Many UNILAG Students On Field Trip From Ilaro Currently Trapped In Sango As

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.