Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,830 members, 7,810,191 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:56 PM

When Does The Average Nigerian Woman Move Out Of Her Parents Home? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / When Does The Average Nigerian Woman Move Out Of Her Parents Home? (4008 Views)

When Does A joystick Really Stop Growing / Queen Okafor, Hairy Nigerian Woman Brags About Her 100 Suitors Per Day / 8 Stereotyped Views Of The Average Nigerian" Guy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Does The Average Nigerian Woman Move Out Of Her Parents Home? by LittleLepa: 4:09am On Sep 19, 2013
I'm 25 (female), and living with my parents still. Is this normal for Nigerians? At what age does it begin to look bad if I am still living at home? Yes, I have gone to Uni, and yes I am working. I can afford my own place, but I am close with my family. Also, many friends of mine said that it will look bad somehow to men that may want to date me, if an unmarried woman is not living with her parents and she is below the age of 30. Please, what is your opinion?
Re: When Does The Average Nigerian Woman Move Out Of Her Parents Home? by Nobody: 4:58am On Sep 19, 2013
It doesn't matter what your friends or men think or what is "normal". Are you comfortable living at home? Do you have a desire to move out? If you're comfortable at home and your parents are comfortable with you staying, then stay. There's no shame in it at all, especially seeing that you've already finished school and you're working.

2 Likes

Re: When Does The Average Nigerian Woman Move Out Of Her Parents Home? by veave(f): 7:01am On Sep 19, 2013
in mumcys voice... 'when she marries'.

so i wonder where that guy is...sad
Re: When Does The Average Nigerian Woman Move Out Of Her Parents Home? by Nobody: 7:16am On Sep 19, 2013
@op.
In nija settings its better 4 u 2 remain in ur parent's home b4 marriage, dat mks guys see u more responsible as nija guys get more fascinated wit babes with classical charisma n good home background wen its going beyond just bf n gf level.U don't ve 2 leave becos u wanna join d mobbing of d bandwagon of wats in vogue 4 d so- independent ladies.

@ ogugua

Wat people tink abt u really count as no-one is an island ,If all u tink is wat u feel abt urself only, it cool 2 u, bt dat 'd b lik a disaster gonna happen soon 2 odas.
People's opinions always reflect d true u, as dey re d mirrors u re standing b4.
its so unfortunate dat d I don't care abt wat people say mentality ve done a great damage 2 mother earth, more so people now live a wasteful life trying 2 fit themselves in2 d immoral so-called 21st century.

God bless d days of our ancestors, d days wen people do d right tins ,becos dey really cares abt wat people says n feels abt dem

Wen u see something , say something.

1 Like

Re: When Does The Average Nigerian Woman Move Out Of Her Parents Home? by Nobody: 7:57am On Sep 19, 2013
Caring too much about what people think has proven to be detrimental in quite a few cases as well. People should consider themselves first. It doesn't mean be selfish, but a happy and healthy "you" is what gets someone by and allows them to do for others.

1 Like

Re: When Does The Average Nigerian Woman Move Out Of Her Parents Home? by homesteady(m): 8:07am On Sep 19, 2013
IMO! I think it is normal for a female to stay in her parent house till she gets married!
Even if you are 50, you can still stay in your parents house, so far you are not married
Re: When Does The Average Nigerian Woman Move Out Of Her Parents Home? by homesteady(m): 8:09am On Sep 19, 2013
ogugua88: Caring too much about what people think has proven to be detrimental in quite a few cases as well. People should consider themselves first. It doesn't mean be selfish, but a happy and healthy "you" is what gets someone by and allows them to do for others.

But do you think its possible to live without caring for what other people think of you? undecided
Re: When Does The Average Nigerian Woman Move Out Of Her Parents Home? by Nobody: 8:19am On Sep 19, 2013
homesteady: But do you think its possible to live without caring for what other people think of you? undecided

Well, yeah. That's how I live. I can't please everyone. I've tried pleasing everyone and I suffered while they made their demands. Now I do what's best for me and do what I can for others when I can. They have to understand that I have my own life to live and I'll live it accordingly.

The same goes for the OP. Let's say she wants to do one thing but her friends and family suggest or demand she does otherwise. She does what they say and she's unhappy. Her unhappiness affects her work and she can no longer afford the life people wished for her. Will those who demanded suffer with her? If her work is lagging, will her boss call her friends and family and scold them for making her make an unwise decision? No. It's better to be happy with her decision than unhappy with someone else's demand. When a person is set, all things around him or her fall into place and everyone benefits. Usually.

3 Likes

Re: When Does The Average Nigerian Woman Move Out Of Her Parents Home? by 190: 8:21am On Sep 19, 2013
uhmm if shes Nigerian 22/23 outmost cos she ought to be at her husband's house by then cheesy

Nigerian old cargo'ed girls be like see what this one is saying undecided
Re: When Does The Average Nigerian Woman Move Out Of Her Parents Home? by Lilimax(f): 9:19am On Sep 19, 2013
homesteady: IMO! I think it is normal for a female to stay in her parent house till she gets married!
Even if you are 50, you can still stay in your parents house, so far you are not married
It is very normal for a female to stay in her parent's house till she gets married as long as she is comfortable in the house.
I did the same thing after my youth service but it got to a stage where my mum became a serious thorn in my flesh... sad
I was no more comfortable in the home.
At this point I made up my mind to rent an apartment of my own. I was in my late twenties as at them.
It was at the point of renting this apartment that I met my husband.
I told him my plans and he frowned at it. He said that I should endure whatever I was recieving from my mum as it will not last forever.
It was not easy i must confesss...
Thank God that the rest is history grin.

3 Likes

Re: When Does The Average Nigerian Woman Move Out Of Her Parents Home? by 190: 9:23am On Sep 19, 2013
Lilimax: It is very normal for a female to stay in her parent's house till she gets married as long as she is comfortable in the house.
I did the same thing after my youth service but it got to a stage where my mum become a serious a thorn in my flesh... sad
I was no more comfortable in the home.
At this point I made up my mind to rent an apartment of my own. I was in my late twenties as at them.
It was at the point of renting this apartment that I met my husband.
I told him my plans and he frowned at it. He said that I should endure whatever I was recieving from my mum as it will not last forever.
It was not easy i must confesss...
Thank God that the rest is history grin.

rotfl @ her momsi been a thorn in her flesh

hahahahahaaa!!
Re: When Does The Average Nigerian Woman Move Out Of Her Parents Home? by Cestmoi1(f): 9:42am On Sep 19, 2013
I believe it's a normal thing for a lady to be in her parents home before she gets married.But as for me,even in my mid-twenties,i'm already finding my squareroot and yes! because i'm no longer comfortable staying with him.
Re: When Does The Average Nigerian Woman Move Out Of Her Parents Home? by Lilimax(f): 9:45am On Sep 19, 2013
190:

rotfl @ her momsi been a thorn in her flesh

hahahahahaaa!!
yeah then but we are best of friends today grin grin
Re: When Does The Average Nigerian Woman Move Out Of Her Parents Home? by 190: 9:55am On Sep 19, 2013
Lilimax: yeah then but we are best of friends today grin grin

after she forced you out grin grin

you be don turn old meat for inside house

your mom felt threatened grin grin grin
Re: When Does The Average Nigerian Woman Move Out Of Her Parents Home? by Popowaa: 10:22am On Sep 19, 2013
190: uhmm if shes Nigerian 22/23 outmost cos she ought to be at her husband's house by then cheesy

Nigerian old cargo'ed girls be like see what this one is saying undecided
gringrin
Re: When Does The Average Nigerian Woman Move Out Of Her Parents Home? by Lilimax(f): 10:25am On Sep 19, 2013
190:

after she forced you out grin grin

you be don turn old meat for inside house

your mom felt threatened grin grin grin
Yeye boy grin. How did you know cheesy? It was later that I got the whole gist...
I was becoming too comfortable in my father's house cool
Re: When Does The Average Nigerian Woman Move Out Of Her Parents Home? by 190: 10:30am On Sep 19, 2013
Lilimax: Yeye boy grin. How did you know cheesy? It was later that I got the whole gist...
I was becoming too comfortable in my father's house cool
grin grin grin

Happy married life lily grin grin grin
Thank God everything ended well grin grin

1 Like

Re: When Does The Average Nigerian Woman Move Out Of Her Parents Home? by prosper86: 10:41am On Sep 19, 2013
There is nothing wrong in a lady moving out of d parents house dpends on d circumstance and d xter of d lady involved.for instance,I am in my late 20's I stay alone because I got a job in anoda state .My friend Staying with her parents was impregnated by her bf and is a single mother.
My mom calls me everyday to know when I will be bringing a guy home for marriage,I wonder how the pressure will be If I were still @ home with her.

So I think it depends also on the morality ,circumstance and how responsible the lady is.
Re: When Does The Average Nigerian Woman Move Out Of Her Parents Home? by veave(f): 3:06pm On Sep 19, 2013
God bless you prosper. i turned 25 in may and ever since then my old wooman has been on my neck.
she even asked me to bring my boyfriend for her to see.

when i said i ddnt have she just looked at me strangely... ever since then, na wahala every day...
i want to move out oooo....
I AM TIRED!!!

1 Like

Re: When Does The Average Nigerian Woman Move Out Of Her Parents Home? by Nobody: 3:26pm On Sep 19, 2013
veave: God bless you prosper. i turned 25 in may and ever since then my old wooman has been on my neck.
she even asked me to bring my boyfriend for her to see.

when i said i ddnt have she just looked at me strangely... ever since then, na wahala every day...
i want to move out oooo....
I AM TIRED!!!
25yrs ago:
I'm too pretty, he's not handsome,
he's not rich, I'm polished,
I'm too sexy, he can't maintain me..
Dat's how aunty VEAVE clocked 50yrs today.

Happy birthday aunty veave
undecided undecided cheesy

1 Like

Re: When Does The Average Nigerian Woman Move Out Of Her Parents Home? by Nobody: 4:55pm On Sep 19, 2013
prosper86: There is nothing wrong in a lady moving out of d parents house dpends on d circumstance and d xter of d lady involved.

So I think it depends also on the morality ,circumstance and how responsible the lady is.
Re: When Does The Average Nigerian Woman Move Out Of Her Parents Home? by veave(f): 7:16pm On Sep 19, 2013
SHEGE!!!!!!! IGHOSAGIE...

back to you ten times... infact i wish you more...
Awon omo jatijati...
Re: When Does The Average Nigerian Woman Move Out Of Her Parents Home? by Nobody: 7:23pm On Sep 19, 2013
veave: SHEGE!!!!!!! IGHOSAGIE...

back to you ten times... infact i wish you more...
Awon omo jatijati...
in fela's voice:
D older d man , d sweeter he becomes.

Ask Genevieve either of atiku or d'banj who is sweeter undecided undecided
Re: When Does The Average Nigerian Woman Move Out Of Her Parents Home? by Nobody: 7:53am On Sep 20, 2013
ogugua88:

Well, yeah. That's how I live. I can't please everyone. I've tried pleasing everyone and I suffered while they made their demands. Now I do what's best for me and do what I can for others when I can. They have to understand that I have my own life to live and I'll live it accordingly.

The same goes for the OP. Let's say she wants to do one thing but her friends and family suggest or demand she does otherwise. She does what they say and she's unhappy. Her unhappiness affects her work and she can no longer afford the life people wished for her. Will those who demanded suffer with her? If her work is lagging, will her boss call her friends and family and scold them for making her make an unwise decision? No. It's better to be happy with her decision than unhappy with someone else's demand. When a person is set, all things around him or her fall into place and everyone benefits. Usually.

Seconded.
Re: When Does The Average Nigerian Woman Move Out Of Her Parents Home? by Tosinville(m): 8:40am On Sep 20, 2013
Its true, I don't buy the idea of a woman living alone even though she has everything but as long as she's still single, she still need to be under her parent roof.
Re: When Does The Average Nigerian Woman Move Out Of Her Parents Home? by MrsChima(f): 1:35pm On Sep 20, 2013
Tosinville: Its true, I don't buy the idea of a woman living alone even though she has everything but as long as she's still single, she still need to be under her parent roof.

undecided undecided huh nigga?
Re: When Does The Average Nigerian Woman Move Out Of Her Parents Home? by Nobody: 3:22pm On Sep 20, 2013
^^^ grin grin
The things we get to read.
Re: When Does The Average Nigerian Woman Move Out Of Her Parents Home? by Andyblaze: 3:43pm On Sep 20, 2013
Aint bad
Re: When Does The Average Nigerian Woman Move Out Of Her Parents Home? by UyiIredia(m): 4:25pm On Sep 20, 2013
@ OP: No it isn't bad. What would have been bad is if you weren't earning income or making an effort to. I know men older than you who stay with their family for reasons you state. Some for financial reasons. Stay cool.

1 Like

Re: When Does The Average Nigerian Woman Move Out Of Her Parents Home? by UjSizzle(f): 6:10pm On Sep 20, 2013
There's no age to leave your parents home. If they are cool with your being there, and you're comfy then by all means stay. What people say shouldn't count.

1 Like

Re: When Does The Average Nigerian Woman Move Out Of Her Parents Home? by gunners160(m): 7:02pm On Sep 20, 2013
Since u hv ur own job nd u kan afford 2 get urself a rented appartment i would advice u 2 move out of ur mum's house because it would nt only save u d pressure 4rm ur mum it would also bring respect people dnt value sum1 dey see everyday nd besides ladies who r stayin independent hv more suitors dan those dat r still stayin wit dhr parents.most men wuld think hmm she is nt yet ready 4 marriage she is still mama's gal she as nt reached d age 2 stand on her own dhrby goin 2 d next available bus stop.pls dnt think ur mum is a thorn on d flesh she is only doin wat all gud modas shuld
do. wit d high rate of unmarried spinters in d society dats d best thing 2 do (bring ur man hm wen dhr is stil time) she 2 wants 2 c her grandchildren nd b hapi yes!! my daughter is married,
Re: When Does The Average Nigerian Woman Move Out Of Her Parents Home? by lilmax(m): 10:00pm On Sep 20, 2013
ighoosagie: 25yrs ago:
I'm too pretty, he's not handsome,
he's not rich, I'm polished,
I'm too sexy, he can't maintain me..
Dat's how aunty VEAVE clocked 50yrs today.

Happy birthday aunty veave
undecided undecided cheesy
haha but na true talk sha....most of them come back to their senses @30

(1) (2) (Reply)

The First Time You Met: What Did You Tell Him/her And What Was His/her Response. / 9ja Babes, Fear them!!!! / If You Are A Single Woman Above 30years!!! This Is For You!!!!!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.