Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,270 members, 7,818,929 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:22 AM

Police To Get Extra 1% From Federation Account - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Police To Get Extra 1% From Federation Account (4489 Views)

Refineries To Pay Into Federation Account From 2016 – Kachikwu / Rivers Got N257.6bn From Federation Account Not 56.2, Says Okonjo / Southwest Governors Seek Better Allocation From Federation Account. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police To Get Extra 1% From Federation Account by Nobody: 7:52am On Sep 20, 2013
** Police to get extra 1% from federation account.
** Implementation begins next week.
** Police to get extra N1.5trillion in 6 years from the reform.

It is good news for the police. They are to get one per cent from the Federation Account.

The National Economic Council (NEC), which gave the approval, said the cash should be deducted as a first line charge.

The NEC is the major economic body chaired by the vice president. Governors, ministers of National Planning, Finance, FCT and the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) governor are members. The body meets monthly at the State House in Abuja.
Anambra State Governor Peter Obi told reporters after yesterday’s meeting that the one per cent deducted will be domiciled in the states.

The implementation of the proposal will take immediate effect, he said, adding that the 53% Federal Government component of the 1% fund would be spread across the states.

The cash, which is like what is being deducted for power and the Universal Basic Education Commission (UBEC), Obi said, would largely assist in tackling insecurity.

Obi, who chairs the Nigeria Reform Police Interim Implementation Committee, said: “The Council welcomed the proposals we submitted and threw its weight behind the recommendations for a statutory funding of the Police Reform Programme – in line with the provisions of the Constitution.”

“NEC agreed to provide extra funding for the police. It agreed for a deduction of one per cent (1%) first line charge during the revenue allocation. Funds deducted would be used exclusively in the state. The implementation modalities will be worked out.”

He added: “The Committee recommended the pruning down of the initial overall cost estimate of the reform from N2.8trillion to N 1.5trillion, as well as the extension of the reform period from five to six years, to ensure the government’s commitment to the transformation of the police for effective security service delivery.

“The memo also recommended a joint funding of the revised cost of N1.5 trillion with 60% coming from the federal, states and local governments (60%) while the Organised Private Sector (OPS) and international development partners are to contribute 40%.”

Governor of Anambra State, Peter Obi said the agreement reached between the federal and state governments to contribute one percent to fund the police from the federation account would commence next week.

Governor Obi said: “ What we discussed today was implementation strategy, which states clearly that every money deducted from any state would be used strictly within that state to support its priorities in area of security as provided within police reform strategy. And we are not telling the security agencies what to do, what we said is that we are trying to provide an extra support to them. They know what to do but they need support to do that.”

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/police-get-1-from-federation-account/

1 Like

Re: Police To Get Extra 1% From Federation Account by sheedy407(m): 7:58am On Sep 20, 2013
Booked,so that at the END when this make front page,I will have TIME to write a better THING after reading the whole stuff that looks like project

1 Like

Re: Police To Get Extra 1% From Federation Account by lertee(f): 8:19am On Sep 20, 2013
Will that stop them from collecting 20naira on check points?

3 Likes

Re: Police To Get Extra 1% From Federation Account by Nobody: 8:32am On Sep 20, 2013
lertee: Will that stop them from collecting 20naira on check points?
Police still dey collect 20 naira? I bin think say na "WHITE" dem dey collect now?
Re: Police To Get Extra 1% From Federation Account by lertee(f): 8:35am On Sep 20, 2013
berem: Police still dey collect 20 naira? I bin think say na "WHITE" dem dey collect now?
At all at all na hin bad pass,they still dey collect am o grin
Re: Police To Get Extra 1% From Federation Account by Nobody: 8:44am On Sep 20, 2013
lertee:
At all at all na hin bad pass,they still dey collect am o grin
For where? no police collects 20 naira by the roadside. It's from 50 naira upwards. you never hear say police don shoot many people sake of say dem give dem 20 naira?

Even if they give them 50 percent extra from federation account, they will still collect bribe. Money no dey belleful human being. angry

2 Likes

Re: Police To Get Extra 1% From Federation Account by Tolexander: 8:48am On Sep 20, 2013
lertee: Will that stop them from collecting 20naira on check points?
or ask us 'wetin you carry'.
Re: Police To Get Extra 1% From Federation Account by lertee(f): 8:53am On Sep 20, 2013
berem: For where? no police collects 20 naira by the roadside. It's from 50 naira upwards. you never hear say police don shoot many people sake of say dem give dem 20 naira?

Even if they give them 50 percent extra from federation account, they will still collect bribe. Money no dey belleful human being. angry
See as u wash police finish,you no know whether I be police woman lol
Re: Police To Get Extra 1% From Federation Account by lertee(f): 8:55am On Sep 20, 2013
Tolexander: or ask us 'wetin you carry'.
As usual cheesy
Re: Police To Get Extra 1% From Federation Account by Freeanijoo(m): 9:00am On Sep 20, 2013
This can only happen in GEJ administration. If only the oga at the top will not thieve the money.

1 Like

Re: Police To Get Extra 1% From Federation Account by taharqa: 9:03am On Sep 20, 2013
Woo!! This is some very, very Good news. HUGE move, in deed; providing Alternative and Stable means to fund sm Governmental Institutions and Programme. The same brilliant method OBJ used in establishing UBEC and ETF (now TETFUND), as far as am concerned one of d Most significant developments in d Educational sector in d last 20 years or so, and one has had d greatest effect on Infrastructural developments in d sector (I dont like OBJ much but I very generously appreciate his Foresight on this and a few other things). This is d same method dis Govt used to set up SURE-P (a Programme that has worked most brilliantly to significantly fund critical Infrastructure in d nation). This is d method that wud be used to fund Primary Health Care wheneva d very critical National Health Bill is passed by d NA in a mata of weeks (hopefully). This method wud also be used to Fund d Road Sector wheneva d Road Bill is passed by d NA. Etc. This is d way to go...... One has to sincerely THANK THE GOVs here for going along with dis brilliant move afta d Police Reform Committee recommended it. May God Bless them (all of them). If they gather to discuss and agree on things such as this, wud many of us (esp mua) hv d urge to insulting them?? We need- no, we demand- more of this.

2 Likes

Re: Police To Get Extra 1% From Federation Account by Nobody: 9:06am On Sep 20, 2013
lertee:
See as u wash police finish,you no know whether I be police woman lol
You be police? shocked

Runs out of thread!!
Re: Police To Get Extra 1% From Federation Account by BedLam: 9:13am On Sep 20, 2013
What is the job of a policeman in Nigeria?
Re: Police To Get Extra 1% From Federation Account by moscobabs(m): 9:38am On Sep 20, 2013
will this change their Black uniform
Re: Police To Get Extra 1% From Federation Account by Nobody: 9:39am On Sep 20, 2013
BedLam: What is the job of a policeman in Nigeria?

You can get an answer to your question here ---> www.google.com
Thank me later smiley

2 Likes

Re: Police To Get Extra 1% From Federation Account by Nobody: 9:41am On Sep 20, 2013
Nigeria is too big to be policed from Abuja.

This extra 1% is at best a marginal increase - I don't see how this will improve policing at the local level.

We need state (and local) policing. Let the constituent parts of Nigeria assume primary responsibility for security of lives and property.

The federal police can retain limited responsibilities regarding human rights abuse and cross-border crime.

Anything other than this is merely cosmetic.
Re: Police To Get Extra 1% From Federation Account by Davo93(m): 9:41am On Sep 20, 2013
berem: Police still dey collect 20 naira? I bin think say na "WHITE" dem dey collect now?
Sorry, which one is 'WHITE' o, i know N20 very well...
Re: Police To Get Extra 1% From Federation Account by ITbomb(m): 9:41am On Sep 20, 2013
I hope this will stop the oga from deducting police salary every month
Re: Police To Get Extra 1% From Federation Account by Nobody: 9:43am On Sep 20, 2013
You all are under arrest for falsely spreading of information that is yet to be announced by the Police Public relations officer, Constable arrest these people, except Seun, anyone that has N500 should start bailing themselves, and lock the rest up.

1 Like

Re: Police To Get Extra 1% From Federation Account by Nobody: 9:44am On Sep 20, 2013
Davo93: Sorry, which one is 'WHITE' o, i know N20 very well...

50 Naira
Re: Police To Get Extra 1% From Federation Account by Nobody: 9:47am On Sep 20, 2013
taharqa: Woo!! This is some very, very Good news. HUGE move, in deed; providing Alternative and Stable means to fund sm Governmental Institutions and Programme. The same brilliant method OBJ used in establishing UBEC and ETF (now TETFUND), as far as am concerned one of d Most significant developments in d Educational sector in d last 20 years or so, and one has had d greatest effect on Infrastructural developments in d sector (I dont like OBJ much but I very generously appreciate his Foresight on this and a few other things). This is d same method dis Govt used to set up SURE-P (a Programme that has worked most brilliantly to significantly fund critical Infrastructure in d nation). This is d method that wud be used to fund Primary Health Care wheneva d very critical National Health Bill is passed by d NA in a mata of weeks (hopefully). This method wud also be used to Fund d Road Sector wheneva d Road Bill is passed by d NA. Etc. This is d way to go...... One has to sincerely THANK THE GOVs here for going along with dis brilliant move afta d Police Reform Committee recommended it. May God Bless them (all of them). If they gather to discuss and agree on things such as this, wud many of us (esp mua) hv d urge to insulting them?? We need- no, we demand- more of this.

GEJ is really paying you well.

4 Likes

Re: Police To Get Extra 1% From Federation Account by imsuboi(m): 9:56am On Sep 20, 2013
Okay.. I hope this helps
Re: Police To Get Extra 1% From Federation Account by s3nn2x(m): 9:57am On Sep 20, 2013
ActiveMan:

GEJ is really paying you well.
You took the words right out of my mouth. These guys really surprise me. They are not objective at all.

3 Likes

Re: Police To Get Extra 1% From Federation Account by Nobody: 9:58am On Sep 20, 2013
HNosegbe: Nigeria is too big to be policed from Abuja.

This extra 1% is at best a marginal increase - I don't see how this will improve policing at the local level.

We need state (and local) policing. Let the constituent parts of Nigeria assume primary responsibility for security of lives and property.

The federal police can retain limited responsibilities regarding human rights abuse and cross-border crime.

At the moment, the universities owned by state govts are demanding funding from the FG to bridge infrastructural gap. That is part of the demands of ASUU. What do you have to say about that?

Your submission presupposes that if state police is established today, they'll not face the same problems of the police. That is not true. State police will also suffer from poor infrastructure, poor funding, poor training, lack of motivation, and lack of equipments. In the end, it will be duplication of function and PROBLEMS, constituting another problem and we may end up wanting it scrapped, just like the various state electoral commissions.

2 Likes

Re: Police To Get Extra 1% From Federation Account by Nobody: 10:13am On Sep 20, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
At the moment, the universities owned by state govts are demanding funding from the FG to bridge infrastructural gap. That is part of the demands of ASUU. What do you have to say about that?

That is wrong. State governments should fund their universities.

Your submission presupposes that if state police is established today, they'll not face the same problems of the police.

I never said (nor implied) that. I'm advocating for state police alongside other reforms to decentralize governance and make states more responsible.

State police will also suffer from poor infrastructure, poor funding, poor training, lack of motivation, and lack of equipments.

So is it the federal-owned police that's well-funded and equipped, with excellent infrastructure, great training and motivation?

In the end, it will be duplication of function and PROBLEMS, constituting another problem and we may end up wanting it scrapped, just like the various state electoral commissions.

If you read my post carefully I tried to demarcate responsibilities for the state and federal police. State police should cater strictly to local security issues, while the federal police retain bureau offices in each state capital to deal with federal crimes like human rights abuses or cross-border crime. Where's the "duplication" in that?

NB: I don't believe the SIECs should be scrapped.

1 Like

Re: Police To Get Extra 1% From Federation Account by taharqa: 10:15am On Sep 20, 2013
HNosegbe: Nigeria is too big to be policed from Abuja.

1% of d entire FEDERATION ACCOUNT dedicated to d Police is NOT a 'Marginal increase'. Can't understand how you wud even think that. 1% is hundreds of billions of naira additional funding for d police....
Re: Police To Get Extra 1% From Federation Account by habufarid(m): 10:33am On Sep 20, 2013
berem: For where? no police collects 20 naira by the roadside. It's from 50 naira upwards. you never hear say police don shoot many people sake of say dem give dem 20 naira?

is true d police on our roads wl continue to collect money from nigerians. The fact is d 1% wl not reach d ordinary police officer but wl rather b shared among d ogas at d top in d police force, federal and state government. It is on record that nigeria allocates over 900Billion naira of our national budget on security, but despite dat not much have been achieved. Kiddnappig, oil bunkering nd terrorism is on d increase in nigeria. So wat is d FG saying?.....
Re: Police To Get Extra 1% From Federation Account by Nobody: 10:35am On Sep 20, 2013
taharqa: 1% of d entire FEDERATION ACCOUNT dedicated to d Police is NOT a 'Marginal increase'. Can't understand how you wud even think that. 1% is hundreds of billions of naira additional funding for d police....

And how did you arrive at that estimate?

Here's mine:

FG, states, LGs shared N6.16tn in 2012 – Report

A whopping sum of N6.16tn was withdrawn from the Federation Account and shared among the three tiers of government in the 2012 financial year, investigations have revealed
Source

That's an extra N60 billion.

Now tell me whether this is a better option than tasking state governments to take up responsibility by funding their security agencies from their own resources, WITH LOCAL EXPERTISE.
Re: Police To Get Extra 1% From Federation Account by Enegito: 10:47am On Sep 20, 2013
sheedy407: Booked,so that at the END when this make front page,I will have TIME to write a better THING after reading the whole stuff that looks like project
PLZ LET ME HELP YOU AND SAY IT.END TIME THINGS
Re: Police To Get Extra 1% From Federation Account by Nobody: 10:50am On Sep 20, 2013
Structural changes is what is needed. Stop employing dumb people as police.
Re: Police To Get Extra 1% From Federation Account by Policewoman(f): 11:09am On Sep 20, 2013
Dancing Azonto and Kukere.......

1 Like

Re: Police To Get Extra 1% From Federation Account by opson2yk(m): 11:56am On Sep 20, 2013
BedLam: What is the job of a policeman in Nigeria?

Sincerely I don't know. Maybe complicating issues or collecting bribe on every case

(1) (2) (Reply)

Did Gowon Make Mistake In Declearing Nig. Biafra War No Victor No Vanquish? / B:r:e:a:k:i:n:g: Sheikh Gumi Tells Buhari And GEJ Not To Contest(sahararep) / Victor Attah And Don Etiebet Defects To APC With 50,000 Supporters!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.