Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,277 members, 7,826,078 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 09:25 AM

Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? - Car Talk (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? (36871 Views)

List Of Vehicle Papers Needed To Drive A Vehicle In Nigeria / What Will Happen To The Odometer Of A Vehicle If The Engine Is Replaced??? / The Implications Of Buying A Vehicle With High Odometer Reading? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by peterjero(m): 8:08pm On Sep 22, 2013
Good day all , I wanna say a big thank you to the op: this has been an argument I've been having with all my uncle because I come from a car enthusiast family but I think I beat them all because of book and magazines I've read about car(from-suspensions,carburettion system, mechatronic et al) I respect Siena, ikenna, cooldun etal they've further improved and inspire me and also making my dreaM of owning the first car restoration/pimping garage in Nigeria still be a reality. I stand to be corrected but I support nigerian on their stand for petrol over diesel reasons:
1: 85% of nigerians buy used cars and since we buy used cars d diesel variant available for such cars are no go area because of emissions, cold start issues, poor acceleration and co. For me I can drive any car because I know much about cars I service all cars I use and do minor repair because I know about cars , but what about others.
2: I'm a team Toyota, VW and MB. Why nigerians pick is simple, I want to end this talk on why people like toyota to others today by giving the best reason possible- of all 3 cars I love MB win my heart the most but that hasn't stop me from giving my respect for toyota. Toyota make cars knowing fully well man isn't a perfect being and are prone to mistakes so ðêý make dis cars easy and understandable to a lay man to understand(that doesn't mean they don't make luxury) after all they are the largest car maker in the world. Since the are the most popular brand in nigeria their diesel variants are noisy hence the shift to the petrol variant.
3: Diesel in Nigeria stinks and put permanent stains in surfaces and metals. So we are just comfortable with it in our generators and trucks and not cars we use everyday.
4: Diesel price isn't regulated in nigeria so we must always put our environment in consideration, the govt don't consider her citizens so we help ourselves so we go for the regulated petrol.
Summary Oga Siena , Ikenna, cooldun, etc I'm like you people who have studied cars I can maintain diesel, petrol cars well to even last 30yrs that's me because I love cars . I REST MY CASE
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by peterjero(m): 8:10pm On Sep 22, 2013
Good day all , I wanna say a big thank you to the op: this has been an argument I've been having with all my uncle because I come from a car enthusiast family but I think I beat them all because of book and magazines I've read about car(from-suspensions,carburettion system, mechatronic et al) I respect Siena, ikenna, cooldun etal they've further improved and inspire me and also making my dreaM of owning the first car restoration/pimping garage in Nigeria still be a reality. I stand to be corrected but I support nigerian on their stand for petrol over diesel reasons:
1: 85% of nigerians buy used cars and since we buy used cars d diesel variant available for such cars are no go area because of emissions, cold start issues, poor acceleration and co. For me I can drive any car because I know much about cars I service all cars I use and do minor repair because I know about cars , but what about others.
2: I'm a team Toyota, VW and MB. Why nigerians pick is simple, I want to end this talk on why people like toyota to others today by giving the best reason possible- of all 3 cars I love MB win my heart the most but that hasn't stop me from giving my respect for toyota. Toyota make cars knowing fully well man isn't a perfect being and are prone to mistakes so ðêý make dis cars easy and understandable to a lay man to understand(that doesn't mean they don't make luxury) after all they are the largest car maker in the world. Since the are the most popular brand in nigeria their diesel variants are noisy hence the shift to the petrol variant.
3: Diesel in Nigeria stinks and put permanent stains in surfaces and metals. So we are just comfortable with it in our generators and trucks and not cars we use everyday.
4: Diesel price isn't regulated in nigeria so we must always put our environment in consideration, the govt don't consider her citizens so we help ourselves so we go for the regulated petrol.
Summary Oga Siena , Ikenna, cooldun, etc I'm like you people who have studied cars I can maintain diesel, petrol cars well to even last 30yrs that's me because I love cars . I REST MY CASE

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by jcshols: 8:27pm On Sep 22, 2013
Siena:

Correct.

Bro, when you lift complete blocks of text from Wikipedia, it's no wonder you don't actually understand the combustion process in a diesel engine! At least have the good grace to post the link to the site you copied and pasted from!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_engine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo-diesel

If u checked witot prejudice,u wlda seen d ""bet u knw wht it means.
And if you understand how a diesel engine works, you wouldn't even mention glow plugs, and the waiting time required before you attempt to start the engine. With direct injection diesel engines, there's no waiting time. I also run a 2008 BMW 120D M-Sport. I can jump into the car on a winter morning, with amient temperature as low as -25 degrees C. And simply start her as I would a gasoline engine. No drama, no waiting.
Point taken. How about d oda points I made?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by elektra80: 8:28pm On Sep 22, 2013
Siena: @ Elektra, are you saying diesel engines are unproven? Do you realise the diesel engine's not far behind the gasoline motor, in terms of adoption? But light years ahead, in terms of development?

Besides EFI and direct injection, how much has the gasoline engine evolved over the last 50 years? And how far has the diesel engine evolved in the last 15?

The diesel is a proven motor. If you're waiting for it to open your kitchen, boil a kettle of water to make you a cup of coacoa, before you feel the diesel engine has done something extraordinary, then you'll be waiting a long time. The fact is diesel engines have overtaken their gasoline counterparts in every sense, regardless of how you see things.

@siena
I didn't say diesel engines are unproven.. diesel have been available for heavy duty trucks for years and it is true diesel engines have done a lot in the last 15 years. But I ask u, why do car manufacturers produce more of gasoline cars than their diesel equivalent? Most standard cars come with gasoline powered engines, though the gap is gradually closing but will take some time before it can be even. The demand for gasoline cars is still higher, not just in Nigeria but in most countries. Manufacturers will not invest everything on something with low demand.

.Diesel engines are generally slower in acceleration than gasoline equivalents
.Diesel engines must be fuel injected which are expensive and less reliable
.They tend to be heavier than gasoline equivalents
.They produce black smoke which pollute the environ.
.Diesel are not readily available as gasoline. Go to a standard gas station, its always 8:2 ratio of pumps dispensing gasoline vs diesel. Some gas stations don't even sell diesel.

Now I know recently most of these problems have been remedied.. but based on past experience, people will not just jump into diesel cars until they are given a really solid reason to get one. That is excluding car enthusiasts anyway.

The point I am trying to make is that this is not a bandwagon propaganda as Ikenna would call it, or Herd theory as u would call it. Gasoline cars are more common everywhere in the world, not only in Nigeria.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Ikenna351(m): 9:00pm On Sep 22, 2013
baby-boy:
I dont live in Nigeria, here in the UK most Nigerians or Afro-Caribbean avoided diesel engine cars because it sounds like a lorry and its not quick of the mark, but about 11 years ago I bought a Peugeot 406 1.9 diesel engine, and drove up to the North (somewhere between Liverpool and Manchester) and back to Kent on one tank of fuel, that was the day kissed good bye to petrol (when in Nigeria its different)

I finally sold it to my Polish neighbour who drove the car all the way Poland and back. The only problem with Peugeot diesel engine according to my Mech was the glow plug and changing it! but I didnt experience it when I had the BMW 325TD and the 320D

I now have my eyes on the A4 or A6 2 litre diesel engine

From the engine size, i want to believe the 406 was a D8.

The XUD series, such as yours, (and other Peugeot diesel engines) do require special tool to pull out the glowplug. Most times, because of the high mileage they will cover before they fail, they will get stuck. Such tool can be purchased if you want to do DIY ownership.

Ikenna.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Ikenna351(m): 9:11pm On Sep 22, 2013
For those that stay in Abuja, why do you think the giant company "Julius Berger" uses only VW diesels as officail vehicles? As far as am concerned, am yet to see Julius Berger official car that is petrol. Maybe there is, but am yet to see one. All i see is Golf TDIs.

Can we now say the company is wasteful? Or can we say they didn't see petrol Golfs to use as official vehicles if running them is cheaper? Every company would want to spend less in running an office, cutting down on cost of production. So if buying diesels and maintaining the TDIs is more expensive to them than using the petrol Golfs, why waste that resources ?

Remember, this is now in Nigeria, not Europe. So who can prove me wrong on this one? Hehehe!

Ikenna.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by elektra80: 9:15pm On Sep 22, 2013
Ikenna351: For those that stay in Abuja, why do you think the giant company "Julius Berger" uses only VW diesels as officail vehicles? As far as am concerned, am yet to see Julius Berger official car that is petrol. Maybe there is, but am yet to see one. All i see is Golf TDIs.

Can we now say the company is wasteful? Or can we say they didn't see petrol Golfs to use as official vehicles if running them is cheaper? Every company would want to spend less in running an office, cutting down on cost of production. So if buying diesels and maintaining the TDIs is more expensive to them than using the petrol Golfs, why waste that resources ?

Remember, this is now in Nigeria, not Europe. So who can prove me wrong on this one? Hehehe!

Ikenna.

what model of Golf? You are the same person saying Nigerians are bandwagon propaganda... so now they are no longer bandwagon propaganda or americans wanna be since Julius Berger use TDI's as their official car?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Ikenna351(m): 9:18pm On Sep 22, 2013
elektra80:

what model of Golf? You are the same person saying Nigerians are bandwagon propaganda... so now they are no longer bandwagon propaganda or americans wanna be since Julius Berger use TDI's as their official car?

Since when did Julius Berger become a Nigerian company?

Ikenna.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by elektra80: 9:36pm On Sep 22, 2013
Ikenna351:

Since when did Julius Berger become a Nigerian company?

Ikenna.
u didn't answer the question. What model of golf?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by babyboy3(m): 9:38pm On Sep 22, 2013
elektra80:

@siena
I didn't say diesel engines are unproven.. diesel have been available for heavy duty trucks for years and it is true diesel engines have done a lot in the last 15 years. But I ask u, why do car manufacturers produce more of gasoline cars than their diesel equivalent? Most standard cars come with gasoline powered engines, though the gap is gradually closing but will take some time before it can be even. The demand for gasoline cars is still higher, not just in Nigeria but in most countries. Manufacturers will not invest everything on something with low demand.

.Diesel engines are generally slower in acceleration than gasoline equivalents
.Diesel engines must be fuel injected which are expensive and less reliable
.They tend to be heavier than gasoline equivalents
.They produce black smoke which pollute the environ.
.Diesel are not readily available as gasoline. Go to a standard gas station, its always 8:2 ratio of pumps dispensing gasoline vs diesel. Some gas stations don't even sell diesel.

Now I know recently most of these problems have been remedied.. but based on past experience, people will not just jump into diesel cars until they are given a really solid reason to get one. That is excluding car enthusiasts anyway.

The point I am trying to make is that this is not a bandwagon propaganda as Ikenna would call it, or Herd theory as u would call it. Gasoline cars are more common everywhere in the world, not only in Nigeria.

I kind off disagree with the bolded comment you made above, because we have had a number of diesel engine cars beating gasoline or petrol engine cars in motor racing competitions Thats an indication how far the modern technology and powerful diesel engine cars are.

For a diesel engine car to win the famous Le Man race that says alot.

Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Denn(m): 9:40pm On Sep 22, 2013
Nuzo':

Bro, I will be the happiest today if you can explain properly and in details how the badwagon theory is connected with the examples you gave.

Thanks in anticipation.

Each of these 'brands' had mass following until one event led to the other and some rumors mixed with fantasies......

I might not be able to give vivid details now as am already sleepy.....
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Nobody: 9:43pm On Sep 22, 2013
elektra80:
u didn't answer the question. What model of golf?

He did. Volkswagen Golf TDI. IV, V, VII, does it really matter? They're all TDI's.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by babyboy3(m): 9:44pm On Sep 22, 2013
Ikenna351:

From the engine size, i want to believe the 406 was a D8.

The XUD series, such as yours, (and other Peugeot diesel engines) do require special tool to pull out the glowplug. Most times, because of the high mileage they will cover before they fail, they will get stuck. Such tool can be purchased if you want to do DIY ownership.

Ikenna.

2 plugs are easy to reach the other cost me so much in Labour to get out
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by elektra80: 9:48pm On Sep 22, 2013
baby-boy:

I kind off disagree with the bolded comment you made above, because we have had a number of diesel engine cars beating gasoline or petrol engine cars in motor racing competitions Thats an indication how far the modern technology and powerful diesel engine cars are.

For a diesel engine car to win the famous Le Man race that says alot.

These are not ur regular street cars. And if u read my post, u will see I wrote that most of the problems have been remedied in recent productions.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by elektra80: 9:55pm On Sep 22, 2013
Siena:

He did. Volkswagen Golf TDI. IV, V, VII, does it really matter? They're all TDI's.

So out of all the foreign companies in Nigeria, he has been able to name just 1 that uses a diesel powered car as their official car. BRAVO. SO what happens to other foreign companies that use Toyota, Kia and Hyundai that run on gasoline? Did it occur to him that VW might have a contract with them and supply them these cars at subsidized costs just to advertise and create awareness about how good diesel cars have become? Again I stand by my point, it will take some time for everybody to be aware and embrace this. Not just in Nigeria.. or why do u think manufacturers produce much more petrol powered cars than diesels of the same model.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Nobody: 9:57pm On Sep 22, 2013
elektra80:

These are not ur regular street cars. And if u read my post, u will see I wrote that most of the problems have been remedied in recent productions.

True, the Audi R8 Le Mans is not a regular street car.

However, the Audi Q7 6.0 V12 TDI is. And it's no slouch either. 5.4 seconds 0-62 mph, with a maximum of 155 mph, which may I add is electronically limited. Not bad for an oil-burner the size of a large barn!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Nonsoross(m): 9:59pm On Sep 22, 2013
ygenius: For me i prefer water cos both are fumious,yea,i cant imagine inhaling carbön,in my loquacious body in ma banana island.,i am tired of walking on land mhen
i go with u bros
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Nobody: 10:05pm On Sep 22, 2013
elektra80:

So out of all the foreign companies in Nigeria, he has been able to name just 1 that uses a diesel powered car as their official car. BRAVO. SO what happens to other foreign companies that use Toyota, Kia and Hyundai that run on gasoline? Did it occur to him that VW might have a contract with them and supply them these cars at subsidized costs just to advertise and create awareness about how good diesel cars have become? Again I stand by my point, it will take some time for everybody to be aware and embrace this. Not just in Nigeria

Lol...you'll try every tactic to discredit diesels. If I mentioned 5 more companies running diesels as their fleet cars, of course you'll say they too have contracts with the manufacturers. Which is pure conjecture.

For the purpose of this thread, these companies run diesel-powered cars, because they're cheaper to run. If they weren't cheaper, you're telling me Julius Berger would still run them, because they have a "contract" with Volkswagen? I doubt Berger would waste money, just to satisfy Volkswagen, or give them exposure. Volkswagen don't need it. Next you'll be telling me Volkswagen pay Berger to buy and use their "expensive-to-run" TDI's!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by elektra80: 10:16pm On Sep 22, 2013
Siena:

True, the Audi R8 Le Mans is not a regular street car.

However, the Audi Q7 6.0 V12 TDI is. And it's no slouch either. 5.4 seconds 0-62 mph, with a maximum of 155 mph, which may I add is electronically limited. Not bad for an oil-burner the size of a large barn!

Audi Q7 6.0 v12 TDI started production in 2008. That is a mammoth engine u got there and incredibly fast. But then a Range ROver sport 5.0 v8 engine that runs on petrol does 0-60 in 5.8 secs. Diesel cars are becoming faster with newer models with bigger engines. But then how many average Nigerians can afford that?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Nobody: 10:31pm On Sep 22, 2013
elektra80:

Audi Q7 6.0 v12 TDI started production in 2008. That is a mammoth engine u got there and incredibly fast. But then a Range ROver sport 5.0 v8 engine that runs on petrol does 0-60 in 5.8 secs. Diesel cars are becoming faster with newer models with bigger engines. But then how many average Nigerians can afford that?

The Audi Q7 6.0 V12 TDI may be well out of reach of the average Nigerian, I agree.

But it's not just diesels with massive displacement engines that are getting faster. Take a look at my first post, on page 1. I posted like-for-like displacement engines, both in gasoline and diesel, in the same models. Ignore the Audi A8, aneven the Peugeot 407 3.0 V6 gas. Take a close look at the Peugeot 407 2.2 I4 16V HDI. It's quicker than the 2.2 I4 16V gasoline engined-version.

Unless this is also a massive engine, or a car priced beyond the average Nigerian's financial capabilities?

As for the Range Rover Sport 5.0 V8, it's much lighter than the Audi Q7 6.0 V12 TDI. Yet the Q7's in-gear acceleration will put many much smaller cars with gasoline engines to shame.

The Range Rover Sport 5.0 V8 Supercharged also tops out at 140 mph, a clear 15 miles behind the Audi.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by elektra80: 10:41pm On Sep 22, 2013
Siena:

Lol...you'll try every tactic to discredit diesels. If I mentioned 5 more companies running diesels as their fleet cars, of course you'll say they too have contracts with the manufacturers. Which is pure conjecture.

For the purpose of this thread, these companies run diesel-powered cars, because they're cheaper to run. If they weren't cheaper, you're telling me Julius Berger would still run them, because they have a "contract" with Volkswagen? I doubt Berger would waste money, just to satisfy Volkswagen, or give them exposure. Volkswagen don't need it. Next you'll be telling me Volkswagen pay Berger to buy and use their "expensive-to-run" TDI's!

LOL sienna... I didn't say diesel cars cost more to run.. I never said that. As a matter of fact they are more economical to run,,,but what about other factors? Compare a golf GTI to a TDI of the same engine size. The GTI has better acceleration, especially in the city, but the TDI makes that up on highway. The TDI is still noisier (though the noise has been reduced) when idling. People judge diesel engines based on past experience.. its nothing to do with bandwagon Propaganda. Mr Siena.. u love Audi I know. So if a new untested car company comes out today and produce cars with same specs as Audi, parts for parts, same engine, specs, power, handling, etc. then sells it for almost the same price as an Audi.. will u jump and buy it? I bet u won't.. u will wait a few years to to see if they are up to what they advertise and to read reviews from real users
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by mastro: 7:18am On Sep 23, 2013
Ikenna351: For those that stay in Abuja, why do you think the giant company "Julius Berger" uses only VW diesels as officail vehicles? As far as am concerned, am yet to see Julius Berger official car that is petrol. Maybe there is, but am yet to see one. All i see is Golf TDIs.

Ikenna.

I can answer that, JB are in a different position to most of us:

They buy their diesel in bulk mainly to run their trucks and other construction equipment.
They try and fuel all their equipment internally from their own pumps to control costs, hence the longer range on a diesel car is relevant to their requirements.
They have the in house expertise to maintain diesel engines
Cars make up a small potion of their fleet, thus economically it makes sense to leverage their systems in place for diesel distribution
They buy only new vehicles

All of the above factors which don't apply to most of us contribute to why it's cheaper for them to run diesel cars.

It's as oyingbo would say horses for courses, I still maintain that for the average Nigerian, petrol cars are cheaper to run.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Cutekid54: 8:38am On Sep 23, 2013
shejane: Dot kw much abt diesel cars thou bt I love my fuel car

Mayb if I try diesel car is possible I wil lyk it

Bt 4 now fuel car all d way nd toyota is d best

og diesel too na fuel ooo
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by omar22(m): 11:10am On Sep 23, 2013
elektra80:

Yes I know the R10's 5.5 litre V12 TDI that won the Le Man race is powered by a diesel engine is not any ordinary street car, but the reason for Audi to run the diesel engine in Le Man instead of the normal petrol engine car:

Audi's decision to use a diesel engine emphasizes the commercial success of Turbocharged Direct Injection (TDI) turbodiesel engine (and its competitors) on Europe's roads. Diesels have been successfully used in other forms of racing as well, as their broad power band and fuel economy can prove advantageous, while in turn, the higher weight and lower rotational speed of the engine requiring new power transmissions are the disadvantages

This wasnt in 2008 but in 2004
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by DaimlerBen(m): 11:50am On Sep 23, 2013
The main reason why Nigerians (& the world at large) avoid car diesels is the fear of change (which I'm also guilty of). The saying "Once beaten, twice shy!" has given a bad name to car diesel engines. Former experiences with old diesel engines (pre-dating Ikenna's Peugeot HDI's) such as slow acceleration, noisy engines, very few technicians & high cost of maintenance, can aptly be described by the notion, "Once a convict, always a convict!" It would take a mighty act of valour (such as 100mpg in the city, and very readily available cheap parts) to convince the jury (car owners) otherwise. As for those advocating against using diesel engines due to the quality of diesel sold in the market, let it be known that diesel engines have a wider range of tolerance of fuels they can use, some even going as far as running on vegetable oils, as against gasoline engines (in some newer model petrol engined cars, if the pump contains the wrong kind of petrol, the car's fuel tank would lock itself against the nozzle entering it). Also, the scenario of letting your fuel tank go empty is ill-advised in both petrol & diesel engines.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by elektra80: 1:27pm On Sep 23, 2013
omar22:

Yes I know the R10's 5.5 litre V12 TDI that won the Le Man race is powered by a diesel engine is not any ordinary street car, but the reason for Audi to run the diesel engine in Le Man instead of the normal petrol engine car:

Audi's decision to use a diesel engine emphasizes the commercial success of Turbocharged Direct Injection (TDI) turbodiesel engine (and its competitors) on Europe's roads. Diesels have been successfully used in other forms of racing as well, as their broad power band and fuel economy can prove advantageous, while in turn, the higher weight and lower rotational speed of the engine requiring new power transmissions are the disadvantages

This wasnt in 2008 but in 2004

And when did I say the R10 5.5L v12 was produced in 2008? The point still remains it costs more to produce a diesel engine that performs well than it is to produce a gasoline equivalent
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by elektra80: 1:32pm On Sep 23, 2013
Daimler Ben: The main reason why Nigerians (& the world at large) avoid car diesels is the fear of change (which I'm also guilty of). The saying "Once beaten, twice shy!" has given a bad name to car diesel engines. Former experiences with old diesel engines (pre-dating Ikenna's Peugeot HDI's) such as slow acceleration, noisy engines, very few technicians & high cost of maintenance, can aptly be described by the notion, "Once a convict, always a convict!" It would take a mighty act of valour (such as 100mpg in the city, and very readily available cheap parts) to convince the jury (car owners) otherwise. As for those advocating against using diesel engines due to the quality of diesel sold in the market, let it be known that diesel engines have a wider range of tolerance of fuels they can use, some even going as far as running on vegetable oils, as against gasoline engines (in some newer model petrol engined cars, if the pump contains the wrong kind of petrol, the car's fuel tank would lock itself against the nozzle entering it). Also, the scenario of letting your fuel tank go empty is ill-advised in both petrol & diesel engines.

+1 for u. The same point I've been trying to make. It will take something extraordinary to convince a gasoline engine user to switch to diesel. Its not a case if follow follow , or bandwagon propaganda like Mr ikenna would say.. Petrol powered cars are still most cars (by a wide margin ) allover the world, not just in Nigeria, and not just in the USA.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by jcshols: 3:09pm On Sep 23, 2013
elektra80:

+1 for u. The same point I've been trying to make. It will take something extraordinary to convince a gasoline engine user to switch to diesel. Its not a case if follow follow , or bandwagon propaganda like Mr ikenna would say.. Petrol powered cars are still most cars (by a wide margin ) allover the world, not just in Nigeria, and not just in the USA.

Exactly 1 of d things I tried to say. Guys,so as to avoid unnecessary repitition, Ikenna and co don't seem to agree likewise elektra etc.I feel peeps should only post new info n nt repeat. Op wht do u think? #Just sayin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Eduu50(m): 3:31pm On Sep 23, 2013
If ever you own a diesel engine auto mobile, you would literallly laugh @ some of the coments here because they don't hold water and are chiefly based on here say. I drive an accord euro 2004 2.2 i-cdt 5 gear mannual transmission; very sweet ride. I must confess that I also had the same impression as most of the fellas here but all that has changed now. Got it converted from RHD to LHD and its been an awesome experience so far. If you are not told, there's not a chance that you will know its a diesel engine. I do believe that for most young ppl in Nigeria, in choosing to buy a car, you would want to get a good car and @ d same time not pay overly too much for both the purchase and maintenance, a diesel engine would fit that bill almost perfectly. For those of you that know lag well, I live in ajah, work in V.I. In a week, I spend 3k5h on diesel and just like Ikenna, my A.C is always on...now even @ 155/lit...dt completely outclasses a petrol engine anytime and anyday. Now that's with all the traffic on the road and stuff. You see I am a complete novice in technical car talk, mayb one day I will learn some of these things, but I don't need an aristotle to tell me that its very healthy for my pocket. It also makes a lot of sense to appreciate the fact that a diesel engine is more tolerant to variations in fuel quality when compared to gasoline. So even in Nigeria, where diesels is almost 50% more expensive than petrol, it still holds its own when it comes to economy. As for lack of reliable mechanics to handle the diesel engine, that's about the only argument that may hold some credibility but I do hear that there are some very good ones @ Ladipo. Ah! yes, I forgot to mention it earlier, the performance is top notch. 120km/hr @ 2rpm in the fifth gear, I mean...ds is d real deal! A Petrol engine cnt get that efficient.

@Sienna; @Ikenna....I don't know if its even remotely possible that you can maybe drop your email address, I need tips on some questions I wanna ask, please.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Specialist900(m): 9:16pm On Sep 23, 2013
Ikenna351:

Am not advocating that we all switch to diesels, but just stating options available which people seem to forget or not aware of.

Diesel parts will cost more than petrol engine parts. But they last longer than the petrol ones.

A diesel car with 400k mileage is considered as "just starting life". Their engines built to be stronger than the petrol ones, due to the nature of their work. Hence, they tend to last longer.

Ikenna.
seconded. As odd as it might seem the engine that came with my MB140D2.9 bus since 2005 is still the one working in the bus tho the engine is already weak cos I top engine oil when it goes short. In its state last year it still journeyed abj to Lagos and back.

I should change the engine soon tho.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

what will you do if you got This Car As A Gift ? / Is Toyota As Reliable As Nigerians Make It Seem. / Vehicle Is Burning On 3rd Mainland Bridge (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.