Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,086 members, 7,814,774 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:31 PM

Mugabeland - Foreign Affairs (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Mugabeland (8648 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mugabeland by chibaby5(f): 11:25pm On Jul 17, 2008
nawaah ooo which kind country b ds sef? even our 9ja don better pass looooooool grin grin grin
Re: Mugabeland by Busybody2(f): 11:29pm On Jul 17, 2008
[size=10pt]
Keep your chin up, keep talking, someday you'll say something intelligent.

dang, someone's left his cage open again.
Re: Mugabeland by Nobody: 2:51am On Jul 18, 2008
Busybody, we now know you are "intelligent" . . . you dont need to emphasise it.
Re: Mugabeland by Busybody2(f): 2:14pm On Jul 19, 2008
@ Davidylan

davidylan:

Busybody, we now know you are "intelligent" . . . you don't need to emphasise it.

Are you acknowledging I am intelligent because I can curse or because you are a shit-stirrer? undecided

b] Are you not committing blasphemy with this interjection of yours,[/b]Mr Man-of-Peace of "the earth is 6000 years old and it was made in six days brigade?"

Mr Practise-What-You-Preach, all this message of yours has done, is reinforce what the bible said "Jesus said "I have not come to make peace, but have come to turn mothers against children, fathers against mothers . . ."

FYI, long before the proliferation of the mobile phone and the internet, I was referred and forced to have professional counselling, to be able to learn how to talk with tact and to recalibrate my mouth which tended to run like a fishwife's. I am not proud of this, but that was in 1991, and I was not yet a teen then.

For the record, the only reason I came on this thread was to tell Sagamite off for calling Lucabrasi a dim-wit, it was uncalled for and unnecessary. I have long since taken a chill pill and can often be found acting as a mediator and defending people. I no longer curse anymore unless pushed to the wall I’m human, because I am contemplating on surrendering my life to the God of the gaps as opposed to the gaps itself.
Re: Mugabeland by Nobody: 10:58pm On Jul 19, 2008
take a chill pill busy_body. Frankly no one is listening to your incoherent rants.
Re: Mugabeland by Busybody2(f): 10:50am On Jul 21, 2008
davidylan:

take a chill pill busy_body. Frankly no one is listening to your incoherent rants.

Already said I did, shit-stirring man of peace.

Let peace flow. sad
Re: Mugabeland by Busybody2(f): 3:10am On Jul 22, 2008
Don't bother to reply as I am not fit enough to talk to your body waste, oku igbe, atole.

Sagamite:

Which hypocrisy?

Are you saying the stated laws were not passed?

I am not doubting that the law was passed.

The hyprocrisy I was trying to point out was the fact that the only reason Mugabe passed the law you regurgitated, was solely in retaliation of the law that George Dubya Bush passed in the Zimbabwean Democracy and Economic Recovery Act, that they had the right to sponsor shocked their own media in Zimbabwe. The same law also gave them the right to form NGO's, support people who criticises the government, discredit the government's policies and undermine the government of Zimbabwe.

Where is BBC's coverage of this? All they talk about are starving Zims and the poor palestinians being bombed as if Hezbollah is Mother Theresa and Princess Diana rolled into one.

Sagamite:

Inflation
Nigeria: 5.5%
Zimbabwe: 10,453% (official data; private sector estimates are much higher)

Do Nigeria too operate the CPI and RPI measures of inflation employed by Gordon Brown?

No shit sherlock, Nigeria's rate of inflation is really 5.5%, when UK's real RPI has been nudging double figures despite Brown's attempt to stifle it with his maligned CPI. Unless all you spend your money on is electronic goods and booze, whose price are always constantly falling, your personal rate of inflation even as you are in UK can never be 5%, talkless of Nigeria's.   

As for Nkomo, Tongogara, Chitepo, etc whom were allegedly killed/had land displaced from them, were they not in the same "my way or the high way club" as Mugabe? Ian Smith (another dictator) bowed out to violent and relentless pressure from them aided by Britain. The first black democratic leader, Bishop Abel Muzorewa, was also persuaded to accept new elections, and yet Mugabe and his cohorts were feted by Britain due to their guerilla mentality, and were offered the leadership role on a plate. Wonder why Mugabe only became a dictator in the WEST's eye in 1997?
Re: Mugabeland by lucabrasi(m): 3:24am On Jul 22, 2008
long time no saw lol this thread is still alive ;DPresident Robert Mugabe and opposition leader Morgan Tsvangirai on Monday signed a deal laying down the framework for formal talks on forming a power sharing government to end a deep political crisis.

(Advertisement)
It was the first meeting in 10 years between the two rival leaders, widely believed to detest each other. They sat at a conference table separated by South African President Thabo Mbeki who mediated the deal.

Mugabe and Tsvangirai have traded insults over the past decade, but shook hands and the end of the ceremony, with the opposition leader referring to Mugabe as "comrade".

The preliminary agreement was signed in Harare's Rainbow Towers Hotel after weeks of deadlock since Mugabe was re-elected on June 27 in a widely condemned poll boycotted by Tsvangirai because of violence against his supporters.

Mbeki said the agreement committed both sides to an intense process to try to complete substantive negotiations as quickly as possible. "All parties recognise the urgency," he said.

A subdued Mugabe said after the signing that the agreement was "to chart a new way of political interaction."

Tsvangirai called the ceremony "a very historic occasion" and stressed that a solution must be found.

"If we put our heads together, I am sure we can find a solution. In fact, not finding a solution is not an option," he said.

Officials said the framework agreement sets a two-week deadline for the government and two factions of the opposition MDC to discuss key issues including a unity government and how to hold new elections.

"It is envisaged that the dialogue will be completed within a period of two weeks from the date of signing of this MOU," says the memorandum, a copy of which was sent to the media.

The agreement bars all sides from taking "any decisions or measures that have a bearing on the agenda of the dialogue, save by consensus."

"Such decisions or measures include, but are not limited to, the convening of parliament or the formation of a new government," it says.

U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon welcomed the agreement.

Ban's spokeswoman Michele Montas said he hoped all sides would "engage, in good faith, in serious talks that would lead to a lasting solution to the political crisis and address the urgent economic and humanitarian needs of the Zimbabwean people".

WIDE DIFFERENCES REMAIN

A government of national unity has been promoted as a solution to the crisis by the African Union and the Southern African Development Community, both deeply concerned by a crisis that has flooded neighbouring states with millions of refugees.

Tsvangirai's MDC (Movement for Democratic Change) and Mugabe's ZANU-PF are also committed under the agreement to ease political tension within the two-week deadline.

Eurasia Group analyst Mike Davies said there were still wide differences between both parties to be overcome.

"This represents a small step in terms of the overall picture of moving towards negotiations," Davies said. "Some of the differences are so entrenched it is difficult to see how they could be resolved quickly."

Mugabe and Tsvangirai have been under heavy pressure to enter negotiations. They have both demanded to be recognised as Zimbabwe's rightful president.

Mugabe, 84, called for an end to Western sanctions against him and his ruling circle and said there was no need for intervention from Europe in Zimbabwe. He has frequently called Tsvangirai a puppet of former colonial ruler Britain.

Zimbabwe's economic collapse under Mugabe's 28-year rule has plunged the once prosperous country into inflation of at least 2 million percent as well as crippling food and fuel shortages.

Tsvangirai had previously refused to sign even a framework deal unless government militias stop violence he says has killed 120 of his supporters. He also wanted Mugabe to recognise his victory in the first round of the presidential poll on March 29.

The MDC leader pulled out of the run-off citing violence. Mugabe blames the opposition for the bloodshed.

The turning point in ending the deadlock appeared to be a meeting last Friday between Mbeki, the African Union's top permanent official Jean Ping, and U.N. envoy Haile Menkerios.

Mbeki, who has up to now negotiated alone as the designated regional mediator, agreed to expand the mediation process to include the African Union, United Nations and officials from the Southern African Development Community in a "reference group".

Mbeki is expected to liaise with the group although it will not be directly involved in negotiations.

(Additional reporting by Paul Simao and Marius Bosch in Johannesburg, Michelle Nichols at the United Nations; Writing by Barry Moody; editing by Dominic Evans)

i hope this clears up the doubting thomases disagreeing with the dialogue option, thank GOD for some common sense at last,now zimbabwe is officially on the road to recovery,britain piss off
@busy body
you dey try o,wow
Re: Mugabeland by Kobojunkie: 3:43am On Jul 22, 2008
Zimbabwe leaders sign deal on[b] power-sharing [/b] talks
Updated Mon. Jul. 21 2008 11:01 AM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Zimbabwe President Robert Mugabe signed an agreement to hold power-sharing talks with his opposition on Monday, a diplomatic breakthrough following almost three months of political instability.

A grim-looking Mugabe and smiling opposition leader Morgan Tsvangirai signed the document in Harare, Zimbabwe's capital, at about 3 p.m. local time. The agreement maps out conditions for talks that will lead to a unity government between the longtime president and the popularly supported opposition leader.

It was the first time in more than a decade that the bitter foes have met face to face.

The signing is "a positive step forward in the ongoing dialogue" to resolve the political and economic crisis that has plagued Zimbabwe for months, said South African foreign affairs spokesman Ronnie Mamoepa.

South African president Thabo Mbeki presided over the signing. His country has led the African Union's effort to help Zimbabwe come to a peaceful resolution to the standoff, which began in March following highly contested elections.

Tsvangirai earned the most votes but pulled out of a widely contested June runoff vote following a rash of state-sponsored violence against his supporters

According to the opposition, post-election violence has left 120 people dead, thousands injured. They say rioting and property damage has put tens of thousands of Zimbabwe residents on the streets.

Some observers see a coalition government as the only way for the country to escape the political turmoil, which that has led to widespread economic collapse.

Monday's agreement is seen as an achievement for Mbeki, who has agreed to work with the AU and the United Nations in his role as mediator. He has been working with the two sides since July 10.

Mbeki has long insisted on dialogue instead of sanctions, while many countries around the world have insisted such measures are the best way to punish Mugabe and force him to negotiate.

The coalition government is expected to include Mugabe as president and Tsvangirai as vice-president or prime minister. Mugabe has stated he will only share power if he remains at the head of the government.

Mugabe's party insists he is the country's rightful leader, despite international insistence that the one-candidate presidential run-off vote on June 27 was a sham.

At a UN Security Council meeting earlier this month, Russia and China issued a rare double veto of a US.-led plan to impose sanctions on Mugabe and his aides.

The European Union is expected to pass a proposal on Tuesday that would prevent members of Mugabe's government from travelling to the EU. The measures, which are seen as a response to the Security Council's lack of action, would also take action against companies owned by allies of Zimbabwe's government.

With files from The Associated Press
Re: Mugabeland by Kobojunkie: 3:44am On Jul 22, 2008
Africa deserves what she continues to get.
Re: Mugabeland by Busybody2(f): 3:44am On Jul 22, 2008
lucabrasi:

long time no saw lol this thread is still alive grin

It shall never die.

Hey, what's all this two weeks talk issue surrounding Sir Robert Mugabe and Tsvangirai?
Re: Mugabeland by Busybody2(f): 3:49am On Jul 22, 2008
What do you propose happened instead of the dialogue? War? More sanctions?

What if Mugabe had given up or refused to partake in a dialogue? What is stopping Zimbabwe ending up like the Haitian? They too had a government who had been in power for donkey years, (since 1990) even though he had a majority supporter, he too refused the toxic combo of IMF/Free trade/Neo-liberal policies the West wanted to impose on his country.

Aristides, ended up on trumped up charges of abuse of power, got ousted in a US led coup in 2004, four years later, the citizen of his beloved country are eating mud-pie, and what does Bush and the western stooge Preval, imposed on the country have to say? The economy has never had it so good undecided Heaven help us.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Paul Biya Reelected As Cameroon's President / Mega Strike Hits Europe: LIVE UPDATES / Obama: Gaddafi's Death A Warning To Others - Who's he threatening?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.