Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,229 members, 7,818,773 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:28 AM

Are Nigerian Soldiers Ready To Risk Their Lives? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are Nigerian Soldiers Ready To Risk Their Lives? (2622 Views)

Ekiti Rigging Plot: Soldiers Ready To Testify In Court, Says Fayemi / Audio Clip: Soldiers Ready To Testify In Court – Fayemi / President Jonathan Unlikely To Risk Oil Graft Crackdown-reuters. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Nigerian Soldiers Ready To Risk Their Lives? by Seun(m): 11:49am On Jun 25, 2008
But dying is a huge possibility and u must be prepared to accept that in order for u to join any army
Dying is not such a 'huge' possibility because wars are few and far between in the modern world. It's only when you have a serious civil war or world war that dying becomes a huge possibility for a soldier. Soldiers spend most of their time training (and that's a good thing for the world!)
Re: Are Nigerian Soldiers Ready To Risk Their Lives? by bilymuse: 12:26pm On Jun 25, 2008
the era of the professional soldier is history, what we have is indiscipline, corrupt and political soldier.

the Nigeria army are responsible for the present state of affair in Nigeria today.

they are responsible for the collapsed economy, terrible infrastructure, armed robbery , prostitution , militia problem in the niger delta and the hatred between the different tribes. Without the army, Nigeria would be better of.
Re: Are Nigerian Soldiers Ready To Risk Their Lives? by angel101(f): 12:47pm On Jun 25, 2008
@ poster
this is a most unfair evaluation of the nig army. i dont deny that they have quite a few short comings, but they have indeed laid down their lives for their country and even other african countries.
Re: Are Nigerian Soldiers Ready To Risk Their Lives? by dayokanu(m): 1:12pm On Jun 25, 2008
This situation is very peculiar.

Nigerian soldiers get awards in places they go like in Somalia while the UN soldiers were doing Rules of engagement don't kill a soldier

who has surrendered Naija soldiers were killing everyone. Naija soldiers are very ruthless when it comes to these peacekeeping issues in Africa so they often quell uprising easily.

Naija soldiers sell ammunitions? When Militants have more sophisticated ammunitions.

Militants financial backing is from bunkering so they get the best of armour they just dont have the military training. Moreover this is a guerilla warfare.

Do you guys know how the US army fared against the Viet Minh? So you can call US soldiers cowards too?

I think Military bases should be built in these Creeks So that might deter the militants a little bit. Most of those militants are rogues and not freedom

fighters like they claim.
Re: Are Nigerian Soldiers Ready To Risk Their Lives? by Kobojunkie: 1:14pm On Jun 25, 2008
Here we go again!!! jeeezzz
Re: Are Nigerian Soldiers Ready To Risk Their Lives? by Ibime(m): 2:20pm On Jun 25, 2008
dayokanu:

Nigerian soldiers get awards in places they go like in Somalia while the UN soldiers were doing Rules of engagement don't kill a soldier

who has surrendered Naija soldiers were killing everyone. Naija soldiers are very ruthless when it comes to these peacekeeping issues in Africa so they often quell uprising easily.

Thank you my brother. Everywhere Naija soldiers go, they quash uprising in a few weeks. Please let us hail ourselves small because peacekeeping mission is what we are good at.
Re: Are Nigerian Soldiers Ready To Risk Their Lives? by Mustay(m): 3:08pm On Jun 25, 2008
Ibime:

Thank you my brother. Everywhere Naija soldiers go, they quash uprising in a few weeks. Please let us hail ourselves small because peacekeeping mission is what we are good at.

yes my bro; not war-fighting cheesy grin
Re: Are Nigerian Soldiers Ready To Risk Their Lives? by Upwords: 3:31pm On Jun 25, 2008
Yes thats true of Nigerian solders and Nigerians generally, and i think the African Countries we have helped should appreciate it but what I noticed see is that most of this African countries treat Nigerian as lowly as they can think of, even the money spent on this mission should be diverted to other notable issues that is affecting our own country rather than spend it on those that will not appreciate it, I once assisted a Liberian refugee in Nigeria sometimes and I even put him in an hotel to spend three night because i cant keep him in my own house since i did not know him properly on the third night when i went to check on him I was told that his family member was even sleeping there with him and that when he was leaving he gave 100$ to the attendant and told him not to tell me that he has gone to US! although he told me that his mum is in the US and he his expecting some money from her which he will use to purchase his own ticket to US, i did it out of pity, but the way they treat Nigerian in there country is SO bad, look at the way they killed Nigerian solders in Dafor, . So I think the Government of Nigeria should reconsider the huge amount of money and LIVES spent on these peace keeping efforts. angry
Re: Are Nigerian Soldiers Ready To Risk Their Lives? by bilymuse: 9:23am On Jun 26, 2008
In Egypt the military are involve in community projects like road building , schools , education , charity work.

Our army lazy out in the barrack, get drunk, do stupid match and terrorize innocent citizen.
Re: Are Nigerian Soldiers Ready To Risk Their Lives? by Mustay(m): 9:53am On Jun 26, 2008
I don't understand the education part - they don't build schools or what undecided What about the Command Secondary Schools and the Army children schools?

These guys are very disciplined when it comes to neatness of their cantoments but the problem they have is relating with civilians
Re: Are Nigerian Soldiers Ready To Risk Their Lives? by bilymuse: 10:06am On Jun 26, 2008
the Nigeria army barrack is a microcosm of the army in general, its probably the worst environment to live , apart from prison, the barrack is rife with all type of illicit drugs and dealers; cocaine heroin, indian hemp take your pick. the community is dirty , corrupt , indiscipline, prostitution, with all sort of crimes on the menu.

the barrack is the worst place you can bring up a child; he/she would turn out to be a criminal or a prostitute.
Re: Are Nigerian Soldiers Ready To Risk Their Lives? by Mustay(m): 12:09pm On Jun 26, 2008
bilymuse:

the barrack is the worst place you can bring up a child; he/she would turn out to be a criminal or a prostitute.

WHAT RESEARCH DID YOU CONDUCT HERE?
Re: Are Nigerian Soldiers Ready To Risk Their Lives? by Kobojunkie: 12:10pm On Jun 26, 2008
Mustay:

WHAT RESEARCH DID YOU CONDUCT HERE?

Simple Research, Walk into one of the many Barracks out in Lagos and you might get a lot of education on such. Hopefully, the Lagos government is working on cleaning them all up as well.
Re: Are Nigerian Soldiers Ready To Risk Their Lives? by Mustay(m): 12:12pm On Jun 26, 2008
I've walked and worked there for 3 years
Re: Are Nigerian Soldiers Ready To Risk Their Lives? by Kobojunkie: 12:15pm On Jun 26, 2008
Mustay:

I've walked and worked there for 3 years

I lived next to one for most of my life. grin
Re: Are Nigerian Soldiers Ready To Risk Their Lives? by Ibime(m): 2:35pm On Jun 26, 2008
I don't know about Army but I lived next to Navy barracks and there was order and discipline there, plus a healthy outdoor lifestyle for the children.
Re: Are Nigerian Soldiers Ready To Risk Their Lives? by bilymuse: 11:42am On Jul 01, 2008
The army keep saying it not a war, but they are moving into the region with heavy military equipment, armoured tankers, war ship , missile launcher, parsonnels.

In addition, Aziza has personally take control of the Niger delta oparation and relocated to Port-Harcourt , we shall see how the Zombie are going to fair.
Re: Are Nigerian Soldiers Ready To Risk Their Lives? by dblock(m): 12:15pm On Jul 01, 2008
All these talk of technicalities are reasonable.

but you cannot forget that the Niger Delta Crisis is not a War as of yet.

You don't have the Nigerian Military fighting with its entire might.

You have the Militants provoking hostilities, and you have the JTF, SSS etc simply gathering intel and reacting whenever.

Regardless of how much the Militants know the Creek, the Nigeria Military are more than capable of winning against the Niger Delta Militants.

bilymuse:

The army keep saying it not a war, but they are moving into the region with heavy military equipment, armoured tankers, war ship , missile launcher, parsonnels.

In addition, Aziza has personally take control of the Niger delta oparation and relocated to Port-Harcourt , we shall see how the Zombie are going to fair.

These are only being deployed now, and it is gradually becoming a war. I mean they have attacked Bonga, which has proven that they are capable of shutting down the industry.

We will see in the coming months though.

I place my bets on the Military though.
Re: Are Nigerian Soldiers Ready To Risk Their Lives? by bilymuse: 9:13pm On Jul 03, 2008
there is nothing professional about the Nigerian army, they are just criminals and rapist. Below is a report from the BBC documenting cases of rape within the military and police:

BBC REPORT:

Nigerian army rape 'impunity' 
The Nigerian government is failing to prosecute police and soldiers who rape women and girls with impunity, says rights group Amnesty International.
The country's police authorities acknowledge rape is a problem within the service, but say that they are working to overcome it.

An AI report alleges security forces use rape and sexual violence to torture and extract confessions from suspects.

It blames the judicial system for a 10%

rape prosecution success rate.

The report calls for drastic reforms of the judiciary and security agencies.

"The perpetrators invariably escape punishment, and women and girls who have been raped are denied any form of redress for the serious crimes against them," the report says.

Intimidation

It also documents cases of soldiers raping mothers in front of their husbands and children and detainees being sexually tortured with broken bottles.

source:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6193206.stm

(1) (2) (Reply)

US Pledges Continuous Support To Nigeria’s Investment Drive … / Democratic Or Military Rule;which Has Been Better / Top Political Positions Occupied By Northerners

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.