Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,041 members, 7,818,086 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:25 AM

Is It Wrong To Preach In A Public Transport? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Wrong To Preach In A Public Transport? (13027 Views)

2 First-class Yoruba Kings To Preach At Christian Revival / If You Were Asked To Preach In Your Church, What Will Be Your Message? / Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Wrong To Preach In A Public Transport? by Tayeni(m): 5:42pm On Sep 25, 2013
epmmiks: Enemy of progress

what sir is ur definition of progress?
Re: Is It Wrong To Preach In A Public Transport? by Chaleeee: 5:57pm On Sep 25, 2013
I think Christians have taken it upon themselves to abuse the fundamental human right of anybody irrespective of their religion. Everybody has a right to personal liberty. Thus before you preach to me, you must first seek my consent. That's what Jehovah Witnesses do.

I was on a bus from Obalende to Yaba ealier this year. While in transit, a woman wearing a "Chosen" vest brought out a battery-powered mini-CD player and started playing her pastor's message so loud in the bus. I warned her to turn it off but she ignored me. Since we were sitting on the same row, I grabbed her annoying toy and flung it out of the fast-moving bus. I pictured it shattering in my mind. She started ranting and I told her in a very stern voice that I won't mind assaulting her physically if she as much as lay a finger on me.
She alighted from the bus at the next bustop. Once she was off, some passengers started to voice their relief. And I was like "so una no like am too. Why una no complain?"

8 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Preach In A Public Transport? by Shalome(m): 5:58pm On Sep 25, 2013
Personally,I hate listening to sermons in a bus or taxi but I love it when its done on an airplane
Re: Is It Wrong To Preach In A Public Transport? by Adwexky(m): 5:59pm On Sep 25, 2013
Sepp360: must yhu preach the word of God every where yhu go?.... "for me, thats abusing the gospel of the Lord"
If you refrain from preaching the Word then how will souls be save for Christ?
Preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ and stop hiding under the canopy of fear.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Preach In A Public Transport? by Chaleeee: 6:00pm On Sep 25, 2013
duality: If it is wrong, then its also wrong to discuss politics, football or any other in a public transport.

Discussion involves people, preaching is just some nuisance shouting and threatening others with hell.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Preach In A Public Transport? by Dannylux: 6:01pm On Sep 25, 2013
It's not wrong but it gets discomforting when prolonged unnecessarily.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Preach In A Public Transport? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Sep 25, 2013
to me honestly itz over very wrong to preach in a public place, I mean anywhere at all, my reasons being; not everyone wants to hear what you want to say, I know you'll say am possessed but ie the truth, u can force someone to hear the world of God, itz very wrong cos if it were a Muslim dat is doing so, you will definitely find a way to say itz wrong, I know someone will say that I should close my ear but what if the person closes his mouth, u know most people don't like that but they won't voice it out cos of fear that they will be seen somehow but as for me, I no send cos if u disturb me, I will disturb u back. you forcing people to hear ur gospel and a Muslim using bomb to do same thing is same thing.
Re: Is It Wrong To Preach In A Public Transport? by princenayo: 6:07pm On Sep 25, 2013
i hate it when you enter a bus and someone is trying to prove holier than thou in the name of preaching. its a violation of the rights of other passengers. will you tolerate it if it was a Muslim preaching and reading the Koran in the bus? of course not. so why do you think you are superior and can do what you like when you enter a PUBLIC bus? shouting and disturbing the peace of other passengers who probably doesnt agree with your teaching or the doctrine you are trying to propagate. i remember one very incident where a man started preaching in a bus i was traveling shouting and trying to show his theological knowledge. and i was discussing quietly with a fellow passenger beside us and the man shouted at me and asked me to keep quiet there.. mennnh! i told him to keep quiet and stop disturbing the bus. i mean, if he has the right to preach, why does he feel i should surrender my freedom of expression? what if i don't agree with his doctrine and feel the need to defend my belief and it results to argument and fight? who will you blame. please let our light shine before men, not your words. if you can preach in a public bus, preach to your closest neighbor or ask for the permission of other passengers before you proceed. Your belief and conviction is between you and your God; dont try to shove it down the throat of others.
PEACE!!!!!!

3 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Preach In A Public Transport? by wallmosh: 6:28pm On Sep 25, 2013
There seems to be no problem when a man stand up in midst of different people of diverse beliefs to say "I cover you all with the blood of one whitish guy claimed to be called jesus" But people at the arms of affairs and at the grassroot dash out in loud voice that Nigeria is a secular nation when a young risk expert manager issued a way out of economic fustration in the grace of Islamic Banking.

Don't be sentimental.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Preach In A Public Transport? by Nobody: 6:34pm On Sep 25, 2013
It's totally wrong to preach in a public bus without permission. You people should learn to keep your religious dogmas to yourselves. This idiosyncratic attitude is of no different from Boko Haram preaching on the bus.

The mind of a rational man is elusive to fools.
Re: Is It Wrong To Preach In A Public Transport? by Bimpss(f): 6:34pm On Sep 25, 2013
Preaching on a public bus/public place has got to be one of the most irritating thing ever. Thank God, there is such a thing as separation of church and state here or someone would have really gotten hurt if they tried that on a public bus people pay to get on. I mean having the jehovah's witness, knocking on your door every Saturday is annoying enough add preaching in a public place to it and you will get chaos.
Re: Is It Wrong To Preach In A Public Transport? by Nobody: 6:36pm On Sep 25, 2013
Adwexky: If you refrain from preaching the Word then how will souls be save for Christ?
Preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ and stop hiding under the canopy of fear.

If you're so keen in saving souls, why not do it Boko haram. Their process is swift, or better invite them to your house and preach to them.
Re: Is It Wrong To Preach In A Public Transport? by Nobody: 6:43pm On Sep 25, 2013
Deivid10: d preacher must 1st of all... Go down low n study d environment.... if it is friendly or inviting, den he should cont. BT in a state where na book haram dey as passengers.... he shld pls if possible hide his collar to avoid stories that touch n ordeal topics making our FP on #land. joke aside, dem dis ppl own don dey too much self.

grin grin
Re: Is It Wrong To Preach In A Public Transport? by Orikinla(m): 6:50pm On Sep 25, 2013
There is nothing wrong in preaching the Good News on public buses.
I preached on both "Molue" and "Danfo" buses in Lagos for over 11 years and people always welcomed and appreciated the gospel of Jesus Christ and nobody rejected my tracts and even Hausa Muslims accepted them happily.

If people can gossip, talk and make noise on mundane issues on buses, then why should anyone be offended to hear the Good News of Jesus Christ that is the truth that will set the captives free and comfort the broken hearts and enrich lives.
See Psalms 19 and 71 and Isaiah 61.

[size=18pt]For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
~ Romans 1:16, Holy Bible, King James Version (KJV)[/size]

3 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Preach In A Public Transport? by Tayeni(m): 7:05pm On Sep 25, 2013
Orikinla: There is nothing wrong in preaching the Good News on public buses.
I preached on both "Molue" and "Danfo" buses in Lagos for over 11 years[/size]
why don't you do d same in an airplane..........danfo and molue r chaotic environments we hv to endure until we can afford not to. If d transport system were sane and orderly, you won't dare.......I lie?
Re: Is It Wrong To Preach In A Public Transport? by Mccullum: 7:09pm On Sep 25, 2013
It is wrong, very wrong, even if you go to European countries & other advance nations where christianity came from, they don't preach in the bus, why Nigerians always abuse anything we adopted while some used it as systemic begging, irrespective of any faith you belongs to it is wrong, let's call a spade, a spade, absolutely wrong!

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Preach In A Public Transport? by Orikinla(m): 7:10pm On Sep 25, 2013
Tayeni: why don't you do d same in an airplane..........danfo and molue r chaotic environments we hv to endure until we can afford not to. If d transport system were sane and orderly, you won't dare.......I lie?
No.
You can and should only preach where it is permitted.
It is not by force.
Jesus Christ never forced his message on anyone.
He never waged any war and never killed anyone.
He never preached any religion and never forced any on anybody.
Re: Is It Wrong To Preach In A Public Transport? by Nobody: 7:12pm On Sep 25, 2013
Yes it wrong. Keep your religious craziness in your heart, mind, church and your home especially when you are in public places. Not everyone wants to be bothered nor everyone in those places are Christians.

This religious madness is common among Nigerians.

I fired an old employee last year. A Mexican man fell of the roof while fixing some stuff, ambulance took him to hospital. The next day this Nigeria lady gathered other employees in her department to pray for the man in ICU.. This is a work place not synagogue

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Preach In A Public Transport? by Nobody: 7:16pm On Sep 25, 2013
its very wrong, the same xtians would complain if it were an imam preaching. bigots

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Preach In A Public Transport? by hikmoj(m): 7:22pm On Sep 25, 2013
kokoye: The driver is in full control of the bus ....so he decides.
simply means d driver was d centre referee
Re: Is It Wrong To Preach In A Public Transport? by LausDeo(m): 7:23pm On Sep 25, 2013
Its not a sin but it sure is annoying...
Re: Is It Wrong To Preach In A Public Transport? by Tayeni(m): 7:44pm On Sep 25, 2013
Orikinla:
No.
You can and should only preach where it is permitted.
It is not by force.
Jesus Christ never forced his message on anyone.
He never waged any war and never killed anyone.
He never preached any religion and never forced any on anybody.
exactly! That's why its not proper to preach to everybody onboard without asking them if its ok or not.......d way d cultured ones among us do it is ask "would you mind if I shared some scriptures wt you?" . Not launching into it like you convened everybody there for dt purpose. And if you must, it should b one on one.
I admit Jehova's witnessess could b pesky sometimes, but I like d way they do their things.....you never feel pressured or blackmailed around them........there might not b definite laws on these things but decorum requires it
Re: Is It Wrong To Preach In A Public Transport? by Nobody: 8:01pm On Sep 25, 2013
duality: If it is wrong, then its also wrong to discuss politics, football or any other in a public transport.
I want you to read what you wrote slowly and discover the stupidity of it. Have you ever seen, in any public transport where someone just gets up and begins to inundate people with ManU news?
A piece of advice for you: when you intend to speak in a public domain such as this, make it a point of duty to apply, at least, some degree of common sense.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Preach In A Public Transport? by dammygoody(m): 8:22pm On Sep 25, 2013
Nope!not at all,but my pastor-dad always advise me to be very careful............especially in extreme cases like this,you know, we are in the *end time*,......so all this should not really surprise Bible-reading Christians............the best thing i would do there is to Share Tracts#that's all#
Re: Is It Wrong To Preach In A Public Transport? by ZIMDRILL(m): 8:27pm On Sep 25, 2013
kismo: I boarded "Ajumobi Shuttle" today, on my way to Dugbe from Iwo Road. Before we get to NECO Office at Gate, a young man started sharing the word of God in the bus. As soon as he started, the driver just inserted Orlando Owo disc and tuned the volume to the peak, that the people beside the young man couldn't even hear him anylonger. This driver didn't tune down the volume of the bus tape, even with the pleads of the passengers. Please my people, is it wrong to preach in public transport?

yes it is wrong if those people (public) wanted to hear the word of god they would have either gone to church or busy reading the bible itself

beside they just preach without even asking people if there are ok with it, just imaging your neighbours playing his/her radio very high without even asking if it is ok
Re: Is It Wrong To Preach In A Public Transport? by CONSTAINE: 8:39pm On Sep 25, 2013
I can't just tell what the problem is,but sometimes the preacher has nothing new to tell us.
Re: Is It Wrong To Preach In A Public Transport? by Nobody: 8:42pm On Sep 25, 2013
OlowoTee:

That powerful name need not be abbreviated, please. If you could write every other word clearly spelt, pls let His name -JESUS be clearly spelt out too...wink. Tenks! cheesy
Hmmm, ok ooo .... Biko ewena iwe !!!
Re: Is It Wrong To Preach In A Public Transport? by Nobody: 8:55pm On Sep 25, 2013
bad meat: oh girl!I think say na London u dey live,u don come back?

I went home for xmas - 2012
Re: Is It Wrong To Preach In A Public Transport? by infiniteloop(m): 10:24pm On Sep 25, 2013
Tayeni: Yes its wrong. For me...... most of time I'm reading something or mentally preparing for something or simply want my quiet while traveling or commuting. It annoys me when that happens....d same reason its wrong for religious organizations to blast their public address syst outdoors in a residential area.
This is causing quite a rift in my otherwise peaceful neighborhood today.

Please send me your account number!!!
Re: Is It Wrong To Preach In A Public Transport? by delight03: 10:53pm On Sep 25, 2013
its absolutely wrong. be warned!!!
Re: Is It Wrong To Preach In A Public Transport? by amanyi4u(m): 11:05pm On Sep 25, 2013
Remember not to do the right thing at the wrong place. Its not wrong to preach but very wrong when you are instructed not to. To avoid problem, all act of worship should be done at ur place of worship or you can pray without the knowledge of the person next to you.
Re: Is It Wrong To Preach In A Public Transport? by Werehkpe: 12:12am On Sep 26, 2013
Pls tell me d the poster is not a graduate of Univ of Ibadan? The topic alone na HEAVY GBAGAUN.

This just shows d standard of our educational system and products?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Woman, Your Husband Is Your God. / Plateau killings: Dr. Paul Enenche speaks, condemns attacks / Who Is Indaboski Pahose???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.