Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,591 members, 7,823,573 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:48 AM

how Do Our Great Parents Prevented Unwanted Preg& Std Before d advent of Condom? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / how Do Our Great Parents Prevented Unwanted Preg& Std Before d advent of Condom? (1909 Views)

Wife Insists That Husband Must Use Condom Before They Have Sex / He Found A Condom In His Mum's Bag..what Should He Do? / Pls I Need An Advice, 2 Weeks Preg. And My Hubby Does Not Want The Babe Now (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

how Do Our Great Parents Prevented Unwanted Preg& Std Before d advent of Condom? by Dsage1: 12:46am On Sep 25, 2013
I'm still wondering because if not condom,I would have father a lot of children or possibly contacted std.

Were they using a withdrawal method or totally abstained until they're ready for another pregnant or stop sexual activities when they were no longer in need of children?

For instance, my gran pa got one wife and four children. All of them,in which my dad is one, were gave birth to within 10yrs and before my gran ma reached the age of 30.

Someone should enlighten me on this.
Re: how Do Our Great Parents Prevented Unwanted Preg& Std Before d advent of Condom? by Nobody: 1:04am On Sep 25, 2013
Ignoring the fact that most women married at a much younger age and abstinence was advocated/practiced, they depended on natural contraceptives.

Lemon juice, Papaya, Mercury, Cotton, Flowers, (Silphium, Common Rue, Pennyroyal) and Pig intestines.
Re: how Do Our Great Parents Prevented Unwanted Preg& Std Before d advent of Condom? by tpia5: 1:09am On Sep 25, 2013
they might have had some natural contraceptives.

most of them did not practice birth control though, your grandpa must be relatively young.
Re: how Do Our Great Parents Prevented Unwanted Preg& Std Before d advent of Condom? by Nobody: 1:13am On Sep 25, 2013
Antibiotics for stds ?? undecided
Re: how Do Our Great Parents Prevented Unwanted Preg& Std Before d advent of Condom? by jmoore(m): 6:50am On Sep 25, 2013
They were masters in withdrawal method.
Re: how Do Our Great Parents Prevented Unwanted Preg& Std Before d advent of Condom? by Nobody: 6:57am On Sep 25, 2013
They keep impregnating many ladies. That's why polygamy wasn't a problem, by the time this one gives birth, the other is ready to satisfy him.
Re: how Do Our Great Parents Prevented Unwanted Preg& Std Before d advent of Condom? by Nobody: 2:33pm On Sep 25, 2013
Whats my buisness,kilo kan mi cheesy anything they like,let them use.this is 2013 not 1913,oya okada,drive me to celebrity section,let me check what is going on grin
Re: how Do Our Great Parents Prevented Unwanted Preg& Std Before d advent of Condom? by Dsage1: 2:51pm On Sep 25, 2013
Wu Zetian: Ignoring the fact that most women married at a much younger age and abstinence was advocated/practiced, they depended on natural contraceptives.

Lemon juice, Papaya, Mercury, Cotton, Flowers, (Silphium, Common Rue, Pennyroyal) and Pig intestines.

I'm hearing this for the first time. Besides, do you belief in those things you listed above? Does it actually work like the modern contraseptives?
Re: how Do Our Great Parents Prevented Unwanted Preg& Std Before d advent of Condom? by Dsage1: 3:03pm On Sep 25, 2013
tpia@:
they might have had some natural contraceptives.

most of them did not practice birth control though, your grandpa must be relatively young.

He's no more, he was very old before he died.
Re: how Do Our Great Parents Prevented Unwanted Preg& Std Before d advent of Condom? by Dsage1: 3:17pm On Sep 25, 2013
Chillisauce: They keep impregnating many ladies. That's why polygamy wasn't a problem, by the time this one gives birth, the other is ready to satisfy him.

Remerber not all of them were poligamists.
Re: how Do Our Great Parents Prevented Unwanted Preg& Std Before d advent of Condom? by Dsage1: 3:18pm On Sep 25, 2013
Chillisauce: They keep impregnating many ladies. That's why polygamy wasn't a problem, by the time this one gives birth, the other is ready to satisfy him.

Remember not all of them were poligamists.
Re: how Do Our Great Parents Prevented Unwanted Preg& Std Before d advent of Condom? by Nobody: 3:19pm On Sep 25, 2013
D sage:

I'm hearing this for the first time. Besides, do you belief in those things you listed above? Does it actually work like the modern contraseptives?
No, it didn't have the %guarantee that modern contraceptives do. I mean, no contraceptive is a 100% anyway. Plus most of them were just dangerous to the woman's body. Mercury for instance caused kidney disease and it served as an abortion mechanism rather than a way to prevent impregnation.
Re: how Do Our Great Parents Prevented Unwanted Preg& Std Before d advent of Condom? by Dsage1: 3:24pm On Sep 25, 2013

Remember not all of them were poligamists. You only talked about men, what about women?
Re: how Do Our Great Parents Prevented Unwanted Preg& Std Before d advent of Condom? by Dsage1: 3:29pm On Sep 25, 2013
Wu Zetian:
No, it didn't have the %guarantee that modern contraceptives do. I mean, no contraceptive is a 100% anyway. Plus most of them were just dangerous to the woman's body. Mercury for instance caused kidney disease and it served as an abortion mechanism rather than a way to prevent impregnation.
Re: how Do Our Great Parents Prevented Unwanted Preg& Std Before d advent of Condom? by Dsage1: 3:38pm On Sep 25, 2013
Wu Zetian:

Now I get your point, but if those natural contraceptives you mentioned earlier could work for them, why can't it work the same way for the women of these days?
Re: how Do Our Great Parents Prevented Unwanted Preg& Std Before d advent of Condom? by Dsage1: 3:44pm On Sep 25, 2013
kulyie: Whats my buisness,kilo kan mi cheesy anything they like,let them use.this is 2013 not 1913,oya okada,drive me to celebrity section,let me check what is going on grin

Come back o,at least you will learn how to use our natural contraceptives grin
Re: how Do Our Great Parents Prevented Unwanted Preg& Std Before d advent of Condom? by Nobody: 10:43pm On Sep 25, 2013
D sage: I'm still wondering because if not condom,I would have father a lot of children or possibly contacted std.

Were they using a withdrawal method or totally abstained until they're ready for another pregnant or stop sexual activities when they were no longer in need of children?

For instance, my gran pa got one wife and four children. All of them,in which my dad is one, were gave birth to within 10yrs and before my gran ma reached the age of 30.

Someone should enlighten me on this.

Why not ask your grandpa how he did it?

Am curious too.
Re: how Do Our Great Parents Prevented Unwanted Preg& Std Before d advent of Condom? by ibromugaga(m): 7:48am On Sep 26, 2013
My dad told me he uses red oil on his local govt.before d act to prevent unwanted preg.
Re: how Do Our Great Parents Prevented Unwanted Preg& Std Before d advent of Condom? by obyrich(m): 8:24pm On Sep 26, 2013
ibromugaga: My dad told me he uses red oil on his local govt.before d act to prevent unwanted preg.
Funny. What's the name of his local government?
Re: how Do Our Great Parents Prevented Unwanted Preg& Std Before d advent of Condom? by oriyomimurphy: 8:27pm On Sep 26, 2013
undecidedHeeeee, local govt things , can't shout undecided
Re: how Do Our Great Parents Prevented Unwanted Preg& Std Before d advent of Condom? by Ndipe(m): 11:57pm On Sep 26, 2013
Miscarriages, infant mortality. But another answer is fertility.
Re: how Do Our Great Parents Prevented Unwanted Preg& Std Before d advent of Condom? by EfemenaXY: 11:13am On Sep 28, 2013
I think a lot of it (natural contraceptions) depended on nature's way of providing checks and balances.

~ Average life expectancy was low. Thanks to the advent of modern medicine, we now live much longer

~ Low percentage of women surviving pregnancy to full term + the added risks child birth

~ Infant mortality rate

Additionally, I don't think our forefathers were that worried about family size as we are in modern times. Then, the wealth of a man was actually determined by the number of offspring he had, as having a large brood equated to getting a larger chunk of farmland allocated to him. Having many kids was a thing of pride. This certainly was the case until recently. I know of family relatives back in the village who still advocate large family sizes for married couples. cheesy
Re: how Do Our Great Parents Prevented Unwanted Preg& Std Before d advent of Condom? by drdams: 3:12pm On Sep 28, 2013

(1) (Reply)

5 Things You Never Knew About Twins That Will Make You Look At Them Differently / ? / Sleeping With My Step-mum Seems To Be My Only Chance For Survival

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.